http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prototype  (Read 13604 times)
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 11, 2009, 11:47:08 AM

I was bored with Infamous after about 2 hours...gonna give this a shot.

InFAMOUS was a slow starter but got a lot better after the first 1/4 of the game. The first part was however still much better than prototype imo.

Throwing with stuff is only fun for about 30 min and then prototype gets really boring, my worst playthrough this year that's for sure. Crackdown which is +2 years old is still much more enjoyable than this and so is inFAMOUS... It's like i got fifa and pro revolution and then somebody wants me to play the new sensible soccer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:43:20 PM by Maggot » Logged
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »

One suggestion I read about the whole "orb at the top of the spire is a pain to climb to" was to wait until you've opened up the ability to jump higher, or to hijack a chopper (once you're able) and simply fly to the orb.  I'm pretty okay with having things that can't easily be collected until later.

I only played for a half hour or so last night, but I wasn't minding the controls at all, and I love that he'll jump over most obstacles automatically while sprinting.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2009, 02:01:01 PM »

Not sure I agree with Maggot.

I enjoyed my run through Infamous, but it definitely started to drag for me near the end as there really was a lack of mission variety. In addition, the pace of the game was slow (travel speed, having to stop and 'rejuice', slowing down to use powers) and while you were powerful, it wasn't over the top. Combat also got pretty repetitive after I maxed out 'good' shock grenades, as 3 of them would take down any bad guy (or group of bad guys)

The few hours I put into Prototype last night was basically the exact opposite. Even at the early stages, Alex has a great set of powers and the action is relentless. I'm constantly on the move and switching things up in each fight. Also, battles are chaotic and fun. Just watching what Alex can do is pretty impressive (I love the 'auto' parkour).  I also enjoy the sense of progression via EP points. I've already bought about 12 powers, and just unlocked another 22 more. Where as Cole was taking small steps in his power upgrades, Alex is jumping from building to building  icon_lol

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Infamous alot, but anyone who thought it was too slow but wants an open world superhero games should be looking at Prototype.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 11, 2009, 12:42:16 PM

One suggestion I read about the whole "orb at the top of the spire is a pain to climb to" was to wait until you've opened up the ability to jump higher, or to hijack a chopper (once you're able) and simply fly to the orb.  I'm pretty okay with having things that can't easily be collected until later.

I only played for a half hour or so last night, but I wasn't minding the controls at all, and I love that he'll jump over most obstacles automatically while sprinting.

It didn't feel like it was out of reach due to lack of powers, though.  It felt like I couldn't get to it because the game wouldn't let me.  It's also at the top of a spike, so the helicopter thing wouldn't help.

Quote from: madpeon on June 11, 2009, 02:01:01 PM

Not sure I agree with Maggot.

I enjoyed my run through Infamous, but it definitely started to drag for me near the end as there really was a lack of mission variety. In addition, the pace of the game was slow (travel speed, having to stop and 'rejuice', slowing down to use powers) and while you were powerful, it wasn't over the top. Combat also got pretty repetitive after I maxed out 'good' shock grenades, as 3 of them would take down any bad guy (or group of bad guys)

The few hours I put into Prototype last night was basically the exact opposite. Even at the early stages, Alex has a great set of powers and the action is relentless. I'm constantly on the move and switching things up in each fight. Also, battles are chaotic and fun. Just watching what Alex can do is pretty impressive (I love the 'auto' parkour).  I also enjoy the sense of progression via EP points. I've already bought about 12 powers, and just unlocked another 22 more. Where as Cole was taking small steps in his power upgrades, Alex is jumping from building to building  icon_lol

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Infamous alot, but anyone who thought it was too slow but wants an open world superhero games should be looking at Prototype.

It's funny, I'm finding Prototype to be slower moving than InFAMOUS.  For me, the latter's combat was easy to do on the run.  It never felt repetetive becasue it was over quickly (or just avoided entirely if I was going someplace else).

Unlike Maggot, I don't think this game is garbage at all.  Maybe after Hulk: UD (and InFAMOUS), I was expecting more, but I'm still liking it quite a bit.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »

Frankly, I'm loving the hell out of beating the daylights out of anything that's around. I love all the carnage you can create (citizens are EVERYWHERE and cars are in great abundance - even if 90% of them are taxi cabs). I also find how quickly you can move around the city to be a great thing. FAR faster than InFamous. Just run up to the top of a building and dash/glide from building the building. You can really get some distance in a single jump.

I really enjoyed InFamous, but I think I'll enjoy Prototype more. Just gotta play more.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

I picked up both games and love playing each for different reasons.  I play inFamous if I'm in the mood for a slower, more methodical game, where I have to proceed carefully and cautiously.  If I'm in the mood for wanton destruction, near god-like power, or awesomely violent and visceral combat, I play Prototype.

Also, I feel this needs to be said:  I don't know about anyone else, but all the rampant Crackdown fanboisms are really getting old.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the game and played it all the way through, but you people are seriously approaching Sony Defense Force status.  My theory on this is that Crackdown does have an excellent coop system, which neither Prototype or inFamous has, so that's why people are so nuts for it.  I personally couldn't care less, but to each their own.

Not sure what TiLT and some of the others are talking about when they say both games have bad graphics, I just don't see it.  They both look fantastic on my Sony Bravia LCD, not sure why you people are complaining.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »

Yeah, just based off the short time I had with it last night, I wasn't seeing the graphics complaints.  No, they're not Gears level graphics, but then again, they're rendering a lot more than a corridor and maybe 15 characters on screen.  When you start rendering a gigantic area with tons of enemies, bystanders, and breakable objects, you can't expect the same level of detail.  I feel like the graphics work for what they're intended for (allowing massive amounts of chaos).  Maybe my feelings will change later on.

What I'm really interested in exploring is the stealth element.  I've always been a fan of being able to think my way around problems, and the stealth thing might give me that option for when I don't feel like going in claws blazing. 

I love that the tutorial has you elbow dropping tanks.  biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »

I just got to the part where you can destroy military bases and hives and I'm loving the setting.  seeing the military and police take on the infected while civilians panic is fun to watch.  graphically I have to give the nod to Prototype.  Empire City got boring while NYC has huge skyscrapers to scale and feels more alive. 

Cotnrols took awhile to get use to but now I'm running/jumping/flying with ease.  I have found some orbs I cannot get to yet but I'm thinking once I upgrade some powers like Jump they should be easy to get to.  at one point I saw an orb floating in mid air where I'd obviously have to have the power to fly to get to it but hadn't developed that ability yet.

I'm also having a blast when it comes to combat in Prototype. in INfamous combat boiled down to me spamming my lightning attack and grenades most of the time with me finding the other powers to be unneccessary , whereas in Prototype I have the claws, the 'Hulk' fists and just recently a whip attack plus different maneuvers like the flying kick and the ability to throw stuff.  add in vehicles and Prototype wins by a large margin.

another big plus:  I'm not being sniped from every freaking direction when running down the street.

storywise both are pretty weak.  the web stuff basically fills in backstory, but at least in Protoype you don't have the disposable girlfriend (yet) or annoying 'best friend'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »

storywise both are pretty weak.  the web stuff basically fills in backstory, but at least in Protoype you don't have the disposable girlfriend (yet) or annoying 'best friend'.

You'll like the ending in Prototype, I think. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »

Red Faction or Prototype

which one? icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 11, 2009, 04:13:16 PM

Red Faction or Prototype

which one? icon_biggrin

Both!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 11, 2009, 04:22:07 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 11, 2009, 04:13:16 PM

Red Faction or Prototype

which one? icon_biggrin

Both!

Prototype with the GeoMod 2.0 engine......  drool drool drool

Because I can,
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2009, 04:31:09 PM »

Geomod 2.0 would mean Manhattan would look like it did in the 1700's by the time Alex was through with it  icon_lol
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2009, 05:05:54 PM »

I think the point we are all missing is we've had InFamous, Red Faction, and Prototype within a 4 week period and have had some damn fine gaming nirvana smile

Prototype is a complete ripoff of Hulk:UD. They didnt even bother renaming some powers, they just reskinned them. And I so dont care, because Hulk rocked. I pray Prototype eventually has giant towering virus aliens so I can climb up their backs and tear our their brains too  icon_twisted
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »

I love the way Prototype handles.  Alex Mercer's own body is foreign to him, with greater speed, strength, and abilities than he knows how to control, and that's exactly what it feels like when you start playing.  You charge ahead with unexpected force and overshoot your target, totally misjudge your leaps, and flail wildly in melee because your power lacks discipline.

Then you start to bring it under control.  Evolve a few new powers.  Learn to somersault over a car, grab it by the roof, and hurl it into a helicopter without breaking your stride.  This morning, I snagged an assault rifle, glided over a military compound, and used the slow-motion targeting to single out and snipe a half dozen bazooka troops before I touched the ground.  I wore the skin of an older man who looked like Harvey Fierstein while I did it.  

I made a prediction that Prototype and inFamous would prove to be drastically different games, and they are.  Cole McGrath is all about managing his electric powers, energy consumption, and acrobatics to maintain a tactical advantage and avoid being overwhelmed.  Alex Mercer is more of a wrecking ball barreling through everything in his path, testing to see if he'll ever find anything overwhelming again.  If inFamous is like Assassin's Creed with much better combat, Prototype is like playing through the apocalypse in 28 Days Later as something the infected would flee.  

I've scored Gold on all the challenges so far except for the waypoint races.  Those are all Silver, and I'm waiting until I've unlocked more jump, sprint, and dash upgrades before trying to master them.  The Killing Sprees are a lot easier than they first appear once you realize that
Spoiler for Hiden:
every single civilian is infected and qualifies as an easy kill towards your total.

My only concern at this early stage is that Prototype seems a bit on the easy side, but that's how the early stages of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction felt, too.  It wasn't until they started tag-teaming you with multi-rockets, artillery shells, and waves of elite Hulkbusters that that game *really* got going. icon_cool

Quote from: Pharaoh on June 11, 2009, 05:05:54 PM

I think the point we are all missing is we've had InFamous, Red Faction, and Prototype within a 4 week period and have had some damn fine gaming nirvana smile

And Ghostbusters next week!  When did June become the new November?

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:41:29 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2009, 05:54:14 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 11, 2009, 05:39:51 PM

-Autistic Angel

When we asked for more summer releases.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on June 11, 2009, 02:01:01 PM

...I also enjoy the sense of progression via EP points. I've already bought about 12 powers, and just unlocked another 22 more....

Just how many powers does this game have?  When I looked at a video and they showed the little wheel thing, I think I saw like 6-8 powers.  I'm really confused.  Also out of curiosity, is there any type of telekinetic power that Alex gets?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2009, 06:06:31 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 11, 2009, 05:56:55 PM

Just how many powers does this game have?  When I looked at a video and they showed the little wheel thing, I think I saw like 6-8 powers.  I'm really confused. 

There are just a few 'core' combat powers, like claws or the tendril, but you end up upgrading them for damage, range, then they also unlock new combos or moves that you have gain. Yet, your movement powers, disguises, health boosts, etc. aren't controlled with the wheel and are just passive.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2009, 06:09:34 PM »

I see.  Thanks, Booner.

Regarding AA's comment on guns... So you have all these "inborn" powers, but if you want to, you can pick up a gun and just kills people with that as well?  If so, is the aiming free or lock-on like Crackdown?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »

Aiming with a gun can be either free aim or lock on if you use the left trigger.  flicking the stick to the left or right while locked on to a target will quickly switch to another, nearby target.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2009, 06:22:50 PM »

I love the way Prototype handles.  Alex Mercer's own body is foreign to him, with greater speed, strength, and abilities than he knows how to control, and that's exactly what it feels like when you start playing.  You charge ahead with unexpected force and overshoot your target, totally misjudge your leaps, and flail wildly in melee because your power lacks discipline.

Then you start to bring it under control.  Evolve a few new powers.  Learn to somersault over a car, grab it by the roof, and hurl it into a helicopter without breaking your stride.  This morning, I snagged an assault rifle, glided over a military compound, and used the slow-motion targeting to single out and snipe a half dozen bazooka troops before I touched the ground.  I wore the skin of an older man who looked like Harvey Fierstein while I did it. 

This just sounds like me playing any game.  I start off, suck until I get used to the controls, and then get much better and can pull off all kinds of things.  Are you sure this is a mechanic of the game?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »

You guys are great - Thanks for all the impressions. I think I'll like Prototype better, but I'm going to find out soon.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »

I didn't see it in Ron's review:  Can you co-op through the storyline together over Live?

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 11, 2009, 06:17:24 PM

Aiming with a gun can be either free aim or lock on if you use the left trigger.  flicking the stick to the left or right while locked on to a target will quickly switch to another, nearby target.

And for the most part, the lock-on system is intelligent. It'll generally target the biggest threat the first time you hit the lock-on button, and if you have the camera somewhat looking up, it'll generally target choppers (to toss cars at).

Quote from: Lockdown on June 11, 2009, 07:56:54 PM

I didn't see it in Ron's review:  Can you co-op through the storyline together over Live?

Like InFamous, there's no multi-player at all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »

I noticed runnng over civvies when driving the APC gives you a small ammount of XP per kill, so if your going on a Sunday drive make sure to target accordingly.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 11, 2009, 06:22:50 PM

I love the way Prototype handles.  Alex Mercer's own body is foreign to him, with greater speed, strength, and abilities than he knows how to control, and that's exactly what it feels like when you start playing.  You charge ahead with unexpected force and overshoot your target, totally misjudge your leaps, and flail wildly in melee because your power lacks discipline.

Then you start to bring it under control.  Evolve a few new powers.  Learn to somersault over a car, grab it by the roof, and hurl it into a helicopter without breaking your stride.  This morning, I snagged an assault rifle, glided over a military compound, and used the slow-motion targeting to single out and snipe a half dozen bazooka troops before I touched the ground.  I wore the skin of an older man who looked like Harvey Fierstein while I did it. 

This just sounds like me playing any game.  I start off, suck until I get used to the controls, and then get much better and can pull off all kinds of things.  Are you sure this is a mechanic of the game?

There is an element of learning the control scheme, but by design, Alex starts off with a lots of power and no finesse.  Moves like the Running Grab, Running Throw, the Air Dash, Recovery, and Glide moves that provide more and more precision over your aerial control -- these are all purchasable "evolutions" that give Alex greater control over his abilities.  It's not just making an ability more powerful (which Prototype also has), but expanding the number of things you can do with it.

Perhaps that sounds like a slender distinction, and you could safely say that it isn't *that* much difference from other games of this type, but the way its executed really complements the feel of being a budding ubermonster of unknown potential. ninja2

Quote from: CeeKay on June 11, 2009, 08:13:23 PM

I noticed runnng over civvies when driving the APC gives you a small ammount of XP per kill, so if your going on a Sunday drive make sure to target accordingly.

Believe it or not, I actually try to avoid hurting innocents, even when I'm low on health.  Between the plague, the mutants, the martial law, and the uncontrollable collateral damage, they've got enough on their plate without being shredded and consumed at the genetic level.

I do eat them for disguises, though.  Besides the nonchalant gender shifts, it's fun to see a petite brunette dart through the air, kick in a man's sternum, and then sprint up the side of a concrete building in four-inch heels. Tongue

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »

I always go for the blondes, plus I figure I was good in InfAmoUS so this is my turn to be bad.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2009, 10:59:09 PM »

Okay... got the grapple-gun power... no helicopter is safe!!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 11, 2009, 08:40:41 PM

Between the plague, the mutants, the martial law, and the uncontrollable collateral damage, they've got enough on their plate without being shredded and consumed at the genetic level.

I'm sorry that the civvies are in the way. I tried to be gentle, but they're hard to distinguish from infected when you're blazing a trail....and when this monster is hungry, I'm gonna feed.  nod

At first it was fun to just haul ass from a fight to recoup and grab one or two on my way out...I enjoyed the way they flailed about as I'd leap over the crowded streets before scaling to a rooftop for a quick snack....but now that I have the grab upgrade to the whipfist, I like to scoop them up as I glide block to block. icon_twisted

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 11, 2009, 05:54:14 PM

-Autistic Angel

When we asked for more summer releases.

yeah me thinks Batman:Arkham Asylum didn't really have any problems whatsoever,they just didn't want to be up against that lot...i think Batman was originally due this week

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »

I thought civvies are never worth experience period. You sure you're not running over infected, CeeKay?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2009, 01:00:25 AM

I thought civvies are never worth experience period. You sure you're not running over infected, CeeKay?

I'm pretty sure I was in a clear zone, and everyone I was hitting kept on upping my XP.  I'll have to try later and see what happens.

Because I can,
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »

Played this quite a bit last night, and it was absolute bliss.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I did several more story missions and then decided to take a break and rack up some EP, so I started taking down infected hives.  I knocked out 5 of them straight, just hitting one after the other, and probably racked up a half a million or so EP.  It was absolute carnage, as I'd drop down from above and just start slashing anything in site with claws.  Sometimes there were tanks to jack, which could then be used to blast apart about half of the hive building.  Most often there weren't any, so I had to improvise by throwing passing cars, pedestrians, mailboxes, really just anything that happened to be in reach.  The cars were most effective, not just at that either.  Of course I was constantly mobbed by strike teams, but that was cool because I'm going for that achievement too.  They would swoop down between the buildings to do a strafing run on me, usually missing if I kept moving.  I'd then chase them down the street, grab any large vehicle I passed, jump and run up the side of a building with said vehicle in hand, which was then thrown through the front windshield as soon as I was close enough.  Crude, but effective!  Sometimes I could wipe out the military completely, other times I'd have to lose the strike teams by dashing down an alley and shifting into a disguise.

I also took down one military base, but it was a much tougher nut to crack.  Constantly spammed by strike teams, not to mention heavy infantry on the ground.  Usually full compliments of rocket troopers, plus others with grenade launchers, along with your garden variety machine gunner.  I couldn't keep a tank alive long enough to really do any damage, so I turned their own weapons against them.  I finished it off with a few well-placed car throws.  I knew you could take out the military bases, but for some reason I thought you would have to clear out the inside first.  I infiltrated one base, consumed every beneficial person that I could find, then proceeded to unleash hell on everything in site.  When that happens the base locks down and you can't leave until all military forces are dead, which was my goal anyway so it worked out okay.  smile

All in all, still having a blast and can't wait to throw it in tonight after the kids go to bed.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »

I've actually found the bases easier to take down than the hives.  the Hunters tend to rip an APC apart or knock you down too quickly for a quick KO on the Hive while the soldiers seem pretty ineffective at taking down an APC or even knocking Alex down when picking up stuff to throw.

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2009, 02:01:08 AM »

Picked it up.  Pretty early in.... but absolutely lovin' it.

Super fun game.

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2009, 07:28:09 AM »

It's no crackdown, but I like this better than inFamous.

This is less repetitive, and the skill tree has some twists to it.

As for the climbing of buildings, once you get near the top, hold your grab button instead of trying to run up. Also, your kick can sometimes help you get back to the building.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »

I'm surprisingly having almost no issues with controls whatsoever when on foot.  Then again, I didn't have issues with InFamous controls for the most part either.  For what they allow you to do, I think both games did a great job with controls.  And yep, that 'B' button to fine control wall crawling is great.

Absolutely love the disguise mechanic of the game.  Great way to slow things down after an intense scene.  And grabbing a cop on the run, then running/jumping up a building to get to the top to consume him in privacy... oh that is just too great for words.   icon_biggrin

LD

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 13, 2009, 07:28:09 AM

It's no crackdown, but I like this better than inFamous.

This is less repetitive, and the skill tree has some twists to it.

As for the climbing of buildings, once you get near the top, hold your grab button instead of trying to run up. Also, your kick can sometimes help you get back to the building.

Unfortunately, the very top of some buildings (where they like to hide those orbs) won't let you grab hold.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »

Easiest way is to just grab-climb as far as you can do then do a straight vertical charged jump.

At Rank 3 jump, I was able to get all the orbs at the top of the buildings (that I've found anyway).
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2009, 01:39:37 PM »

I'm enjoying this game a lot. It just clicks with me. Where in inFamous I went from frustration to annoyance to frustration, I'm just having fun all the time in Prototype. I think I'm about halfway through the story, but I've got tons of side missions to do. So far I've been having a lot of fun just attacking or infiltrating military bases and destroying hives. I just got the ability to hijack helicopters as well, which is also very fun.

Rolling down a busy street with a tank while dozens of cars drive around on the screen, desperately trying to steer away from you, and hundreds of people run away in panic, is just awesome! The lack of detail in the graphics is more than made up for in the sheer amount of stuff going on at any one time. The place really feels like a city.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: