http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:01:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prototype  (Read 13866 times)
Louis Cypher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 09, 2009, 01:08:23 PM

Where the hell are all the reviews? I'm not going to order this game until I'm sure it's good. It's usually not a good sign when release day arrives and there are no reviews online at all.
I know, it worries me

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on June 09, 2009, 01:46:03 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 09, 2009, 01:08:23 PM

Where the hell are all the reviews? I'm not going to order this game until I'm sure it's good. It's usually not a good sign when release day arrives and there are no reviews online at all.
I know, it worries me

It's actually ship day.  Release day is tomorrow.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 01:53:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 09, 2009, 01:49:16 PM

According to GameSpot, the US release date is today, not the ship date. The European release date is Friday, sadly. If I preorder it, I'll get it on Thursday.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »

Supposedly the review embargo ends tomorrow. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 09, 2009, 01:53:04 PM

According to GameSpot, the US release date is today, not the ship date. The European release date is Friday, sadly. If I preorder it, I'll get it on Thursday.

Right, but at least Gamestop and Best Buy are showing today as the ship date.  I tend to believe the retailers about these things more than Gamespot.  Also, ship dates are frequently called "release dates" because it's possible that some stores will manage to get them in today, but the vast majority will probably be getting it tomorrow.

Of course, I'm hoping I can turn up a copy tonight, but its not likely.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 09, 2009, 02:03:15 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 09, 2009, 01:53:04 PM

Right, but at least Gamestop and Best Buy are showing today as the ship date.  I tend to believe the retailers about these things more than Gamespot.  Also, ship dates are frequently called "release dates" because it's possible that some stores will manage to get them in today, but the vast majority will probably be getting it tomorrow.

Of course, I'm hoping I can turn up a copy tonight, but its not likely.

A lot of Best Buys (mine included) are showing the game as being in-store, but it won't be available until tomorrow.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »

FYI, CheapAssGamer reports that Toys 'R Us is giving away a free $20 gift card with every copy of Prototype this week.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 04:24:48 PM »

with Red Faction out my excitement for this seems to have fallen a bit. I'm just having to much fun blowing up Mars! I figure the GS crack chick will call me tonight though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 05:01:15 PM »

Well you get a 10$ giftcard from Toys R US for RF.. but I guess that doesn't apply to you  icon_razz  But it is great for me!
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »

Just talked to the local GameStop and they are still insisting it will be in today.  I really hope they are right, but if not I can keep working on Demon's Souls so it's all good.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on June 09, 2009, 06:27:22 PM

Just talked to the local GameStop and they are still insisting it will be in today.  I really hope they are right, but if not I can keep working on Demon's Souls so it's all good.

Gamestop told me they were only getting enough in today for pre-orders, but that everyone else should get it tomorrow.

Makes complete sense to me that the company shipped everything twice...or, wait, could they be holding copies from non-pre-orders??  No...it's not possible.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 08:33:36 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on June 09, 2009, 06:27:22 PM

My Gamestop says tomorrow, and didn't ask about if I had a preorder.  Sad, but I have three games at home that need playin'.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »

Got my copy today here in Ft Benning Georgia!!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 09:43:29 PM »

My Gamestop (Arizona) told me that the game is shipping today for a release tomorrow. And I personally know the guy who I was talking to, too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »

What it probably comes down to is if your Gamestop is located near a hub, or if they paid for same day delivery and someone went to pick them up from the airport (this happened a half dozen or so times when I was running one), then they'll have it today.  The majority will have it tomorrow.  It doesn't sound like this is a "ship early, can't sell until the street date" situation.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »

I just got the call from 'OMG HI2U ASHLEY' saying it would be in this evening.  stopped by and the guy said it should be in within a half an hour.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »

looking forward to impressions. game seems interesting enough after watching some videos
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2009, 01:48:42 AM »

Just typed up a whole lot of impressions...and promptly erased them by accident.  Damn compatibility view mode.   mad

Anyway, to sum it up after 2 hours of play:

It's The Hulk Ultimate Destruction and Spiderman 2/3/Web of Shadows.  If you liked those games, you'll love this one.

The powers are great and varied.  The events give out EP to buy upgrades and powers, so they're useful. 

Missions are multiple part.

I thought the game was going to be easy at first...until it stopped being easy.  Having claw hands and superstrength means diddly squat to a rocket launcher.

I think the current ratio of vehicles is 1200 cab drivers to 5 non cab drivers in the game city.  You think I'm kidding?  Just look around.  I stopped in a busy intersection and counted 17 cabs and 1 mini van at one point.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2009, 02:32:17 AM »

Played it the last few hours and absolutely love it so far.  It's nothing like inFAMOUS, the two games are night and day different.  Prototype is about wanton destruction, and it really shows.  I've done a few story missions, and a couple side missions.  So far:

The good:
- The city seems very well done, teaming with cars/people.  The great thing about that is you can interact (i.e. grab, maim, destroy) pretty much all of if.  I've heard all sorts of different comments come out of them, from cries for help to screams of fear.
- I really love how they did the movement system.  You hold the right trigger down and Alex almost glides down the street, automatically hopping cars or running straight up buildings.  Once you spend some evolution points, you can further expand that into the air as well as your speed and jumping power.
- Story line has me interested, although the viral outbreak has been done many times before.  It's interesting because you don't know anything at all when the game begins, but you slowly receive bits and pieces of the puzzle as you progress.  What interests me the most is Alex, and all of his powers.
- Voice acting is very well done so far, and I'll admit that I actually like the voice actor they chose for Alex.  His tone seems to fit the character's general mood and attitude quite well.
- Combat is fast and furious, although the controls are taking some getting used to.  You lock on with the L-trigger, when that happens time slows down for a second.  You can then open up with R-trigger to dash into your target, follow-up with strikes or special attacks, then grab and consume for a gruesome finish.
- I really love how there are different types of people you are looking to "consume" all over the city.  Some are connected to the story and have pieces of your past, others offer you increased or new skills, and a few get you into some very tightly guarded places.
- Cutscenes are very well done, at least the one's I've seen so far.  The ones you get from consuming others are short and fragmented, but always interesting.
- No framerate dips so far.
- Very little pop-in, the one time I noticed was during a cutscene and can't remember noticing at all while playing.
- The one side mission I did involved consuming a group of scientists being guarded by soldiers, option goal to kill them as well.  It was very easy, but fun nonetheless.
- The movement control scheme is well done, to the point that I am now flying through the city rooftop to rooftop, gliding and airdashing with grace.
- Difficulty seems middle of the road, as I've died a few times but on the other hand there were a couple missions that were very easy.  Alex seems almost godlike with his power, able to glide effortlessly from one foe to the next, but at the same time mortal and able to be killed.  Fortunately anyone nearby can be consumed for a quick health boost, getting him right back into the fight.

The bad:
- Enemy AI really seems whacked, or maybe it's just me.  I'm guessing it's early in the game, so they are going easy on me (even though I'm playing on Normal, I checked and made sure).  Call me crazy; but if I as a soldier start running up the side of a wall or picking up cars with others watching, I think it should be a safe assumption to call off the search.  They seem to be picking me up quicker though, as the last mission I did had me running from strike teams twice. *UPDATE* I did another mission last night and they were on me pretty quick if I did anything out of the ordinary, so either they are getting smarter or maybe it's only for story missions.  I'll have to explore this more when I play again.
- Again, the mutating virus story has been done many times before.  Prototype's story seems interesting so far, but mainly because there is so little of it I know and the mystery has me wanting to see how things unfold.  I'm hoping that doesn't change the farther I get in.

The good or bad:
- This really isn't bad for me at all, but it may be for some:  This game is rated M for a reason, bloody and violent as hell with profanity here and there.  Ripping people in half, slicing off limbs and other extremities, not to mention the animation when you consume others might be a little disturbing.  My 13 year old wouldn't flinch, but I honestly think my 10 year olds would have nightmares.  Definitely not one for the kids.

Well that's all I have so far, and there's quite a bit more good there than bad.  Take that for what you will, I'm going to get back at it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:17:52 PM by Glycerine » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2009, 02:48:27 AM »

Hulk + Spiderman sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.  Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.  The only question is whether Gamestop will sell me a copy, or if they'll be sold out and make me go over to Best Buy.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2009, 03:46:28 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on June 10, 2009, 02:32:17 AM

Stuff.....

I picked the 360 version this afternoon, and you've pretty much summed up my feelings on the game.

I'll add that the seem powers/upgrades come at a pretty rapid rate, so I haven't felt like I've been stuck doing the same old tricks for any length of time. I'll also echo that this is a fast and violent game...torsos, legs, arms, and blood flying everywhere amongst explosions and other various forms destruction.

All in all...good fun. smile

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 04:51:47 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 10, 2009, 02:48:27 AM

Hulk + Spiderman sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.  Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.  The only question is whether Gamestop will sell me a copy, or if they'll be sold out and make me go over to Best Buy.

you dont have a reward zone card? Best buy should be your first BnM store failing other specials. Ugh to gamestop.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 05:23:44 AM »

so far I'm not loving the controls.  the battle in the military base with the creatures took far too long because I kept on overshooting a weapon I could pick up and those beast were a little too accurate in their pounces.  I also tried climbing one of the landmark buildings and for some reason it wanted to insist I was turning the camera around so Mercer would jump away from the building ll of a sudden.

I also seem to have hit one bug so far: the first time the Web of Intrigue popped up I could not get the cursor to move with the left stick.  I had to quit to the dashboard and replay the whole mission.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 10, 2009, 04:51:47 AM

Quote from: Chaz on June 10, 2009, 02:48:27 AM

you dont have a reward zone card? Best buy should be your first BnM store failing other specials. Ugh to gamestop.

Normally yeah, I go to Best Buy.  However, the Gamestop is far closer to my house and far easier to get to after work since I bike or take public transit.

EDIT: I'm curious about any potential differences between the 360 and PS3 versions.  IGN gave the 360 version a 7.5 and the PS3 Australian version an 8.5.  I'm pretty sure that's because they were reviewed by different people, but I just want to make sure there's not a compelling reason to get the PS3 version over the 360 version that I'd rather get.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:20:30 PM by Chaz » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

Installation bug for PS3 version.

From Joystiq:
Did you just pick up the PS3 version of Prototype only to discover you can't, um, play it? You are not alone! If your PS3 tells you that you don't have enough hard disk space for the installation -- and you know that it's LYING to you -- then you'll have to use this workaround, provided by Activision support: change the amount of free hard disk space on your system by 700MB. This can be done by either installing another PS3 game (like Infamous), downloading game demos (like the Infamous demo), or downloading and removing videos from the hard drive (like videos of Infamous).

The Activision support site notes the team is working on a better solution: "We take this issue very seriously and are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause." We're sure PS3 owners will patiently wait for a patch.

Lame.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »

That sounds like the same problem that Ratchet and Clank had with their installer.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »

Hopefully this will work fine for me 'cuz the PS3 version is waiting for me when I get home. Wife called me from Best Buy about this new game 'Prototype' in a bigger than normal box with a t-shirt, they only had two so did I want one? Allegedly the same price so must be some kind of limited BB packaging... who knows - it's waiting for me after my hour commute home!

She's a good woman, knows my vices well.  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »

Well...sooner than expected, I got my freebie copy today and should be able to contribute to the discussion  soon. I read the GT review and enjoyed it and in particular like these 2 closing comments:

I do have to throw some major kudos to the developers for the best locomotion system in a sandbox title.  You can double-dash through the air, and then glide to your target.  You can run up the side of buildings, and you can leap ridiculous heights.  Combine these and you have a system that blows Spider-Man’s web swinging, even as great as it has been in the past few titles, out of the water. 

I always try to avoid the word ‘fun’ when I do reviews, but damn it – Prototype is just fun.  The combat is visceral, the movement is fluid and fast, and the storyline is just good enough to keep you going.  Wrap that in a great control system and tack on the feeling of ever-expanding power and you have a game that fires on all cylinders.  Few games manage to balance their end-game without resorting to cheap numbers games – Prototype manages to pull you in all the way until the revealing end.  I recommend it highly.

That has me really pumped to start playing it tonight. slywink thumbsup

One thing I'd like to see changed in the review is that Activision-Blizzard is credited as the developer. That's not correct as it was actually developed by the Radical Entertainment Inc. In case there's any doubts about that claim, here's their official address and the link to the blurb on their website.

Radical Entertainment Inc.
8th Floor, 369 Terminal Avenue
Vancouver, BC, Canda V6A 4C4
http://www.radical.ca/prototype.cfm

Besides, do you really think any standard/normal Activision-Blizzard studio would have a log cabin in their studio like this. smile

Gotta give credit where credit's due and in this case that's quite important as Prototype is Radical's 1st IP.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:34:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »

I picked this up at lunch today and played for about an hour. 

I absolutely love it.  It is 100% my type of game (a la Crackdown).  The missions are very fun so far.  I'm very happy with my purchase.

Eco

Wake up.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2009, 01:30:21 AM »

Got my copy today, very Crackdown crossed with Spiderman and a dash of Darkness for atmosphere.

Pretty fun so far, although the civilians may just be the stupidest video game civvies I've run into yet.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2009, 02:14:59 AM »

Uh, you play inFamous yet?  Dumbest civvies right there, helped only by the fact that sometimes they throw rocks at the bad guys.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2009, 02:51:26 AM »

I also picked this up at lunch and played for a bit. 

I have to say that the character controls are a bit less responsive than I expected or would like.  It takes a bit to change his momentum, and it can also be tough to control in situations like running to the peak of the Empire State Building since he just keeps on going right off the edge.

I had fun with the powers, but once again it was a little more out of control than I would have liked.  Maybe after playing for longer it will become a little more natural.

Truthfully I almost feel like just going on and finishing Red Faction Guerrilla instead of playing this, and I never thought I would say that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 03:13:31 AM »

Hmm, looks like I'm going to wait until I see this one in the bargain bin.  $20 or less for me. 

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 04:20:35 AM »

The controls start feeling a lot more natural with time and practice.  At first I was extremely frustrated and could not get Alex to go where I wanted.  After some more playtime and upgrades I get where I'm going pretty much all the time.  Very fun and chaotic... especially the Devastator moves.

RE: Infamous, nope haven't played it.  No PS3.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 05:51:40 AM »

OK, after buying the flying kick upgrade the big mutant beasties are alot more easy.  I can't believe I didn't notice that upgrade until now.  I spent a couple of hours just running around the city looking for landmark and tip spheres to build up XP.  the controls have been growing on me, you just have to get used to the momentum Alex builds up.  barring any major change this has surpassed iNfaMoUs but RFG still beats it out.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:59 AM »

Prototype does have the fact that you can jack helicopters in its favor... but overall I would give the nod to Red Faction I think.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »

My conclusion for a danish mag (it's translated from danish so dont bother pointing out spelling mistakes slywink )

After spending nearly 20 hours together with inFamous it's physically strenuous to change to Prototype. While Sucker Punch's game offered a sharp setup, awesome story, great presentation and most importantly fantastic controls - Radical's slow competitor is instead a mushy mish-mash of rotten ingredients. Prototype is ugly, stiff, boring and oftentimes irritating. The controls are lacking, the enemies are unimaginative and the graphics are extremely mediocre. Compared to Crackdown and the above-mentioned inFamous, this game is a joke.

As you can read i didnt like this at all. It's like the old spiderman games just worse and with a uninteresting main character.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »

I was bored with Infamous after about 2 hours...gonna give this a shot.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »

Quote from: Maggot on June 11, 2009, 11:25:22 AM

My conclusion for a danish mag (it's translated from danish so dont bother pointing out spelling mistakes slywink )

After spending nearly 20 hours together with inFamous it's physically strenuous to change to Prototype. While Sucker Punch's game offered a sharp setup, awesome story, great presentation and most importantly fantastic controls - Radical's slow competitor is instead a mushy mish-mash of rotten ingredients. Prototype is ugly, stiff, boring and oftentimes irritating. The controls are lacking, the enemies are unimaginative and the graphics are extremely mediocre. Compared to Crackdown and the above-mentioned inFamous, this game is a joke.

As you can read i didnt like this at all. It's like the old spiderman games just worse and with a uninteresting main character.

That's funny, it's like you're describing inFamous. It's ugly and stiff (particularly when it comes to animations), it's oftentimes irritating (more than 50% of the time, I'd say). The controls aren't just lacking, they're atrocious. Because there's no context detection for your actions, you'll usually struggle to actually accomplish the moves you're trying to do. About 9 in 10 deaths I suffered in inFamous happened because the controls wouldn't cooperate. The enemies are unimaginative, and I can hardly even remember what they look like now that I think back on them. The graphics are extremely mediocre, with fog that obscures anything more than a few buildings away and jaggies that make it hard to discern any kind of fine detail.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »

Have to say I agree with Maggot, TiLT, though not in intensity.

I think, apart from shifting your momentum, InFAMOUS beats Prototype's controls.  I very quickly got the hang of it.  Prototype can be extremely frustrating, even after a couple of hours of play.  I spent 20 minutes last night trying to get an orb at the top of the Chrysler Building.  It just would not let me do it.  I'd frequently do a damn back flip off the side as I got near the top which, no matter what I tried to do with dashing or gliding or air attacking, would send me right back to the street to start again.  And if I did manage to get near the pole at the top, I'd switch to fine-tune controls, only to be continuously flipped around the perimeter of the thing.  If I tried to leap, I couldn't stay attached, and I'd wind up on the street again.  Frankly, I don't know how I actually got the thing.  Dumb luck, I suppose.

I've also been surprised at how disappointing I've found Prototype's graphics.  Especially in the character look.  It's not a huge deal, as they seem to be rendering the entire city of New York, but the look isn't as nice as I was expecting.  I thought InFAMOUS was far from "extremely mediocre."  Way less pop-in too.

The story has left me wanting so far, too.  I just don't "get" the web of intrigue deal.  Am I supposed to be finding all the people that aren't unlocked yet?  Do I randomly find them?  Do they get marked on the map, eventually.  The whole thing's not intriguing to me at all.

I preferred the way InFAMOUS' map would show the location of hidden stuff, too.  Made it seem like I wasn't meant to buy the guide.  Maybe that gets unlocked later.  I hope so.

I think the bystanders are far more irritating in this one, too.

All that said, I think there's still a lot of fun to be had here (it is fun throwing shit at helicopters, after all).  I didn't hate it the way Maggot seemed to.  I'm with Engine, basically.  I'm enjoying it, but am far more underwhelmed than I thought I'd be.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: