http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof that Portal is a short game  (Read 539 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »

Portal in under 10 minutes.  He admits he uses glitches in the game to his advntage, but he doesn't say in the info box how long he played before doing this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »

Good gravy!  Cheating hardly covers it....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

Yeah.  Too many glitches exploited for my tastes.  I enjoy watching a good speedrun, but prefer it to stick within the "rules" of the game space.  Bunny Hops and accelerated jumps are ok- but when you start stepping out of the level or shooting through things that shouldn't be shot through, I cry fowl.  I had to stop watching about a quarter of the way through.

That said, I love that Portal can be played in one sitting and lasts about the length of a movie (if you're replaying it, obviously the first playthrough should take longer).

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 04:45:44 PM »

Is taking advantage of glitches really cheating? 
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »

Quote from: theohall on December 10, 2010, 04:45:44 PM

Is taking advantage of glitches really cheating? 

It is in my book, yeah.  Exploiting glitches doesn't show skill.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:44:10 PM »

Glitch is just a dressed-up word for bug.  Exploiting bugs is cheating.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »

But what or who is he cheating? If you glitch in CoD you are cheating to win a match. By doing this, is he taking away the world Portal speedrun title from someone? If the rules for the world record (if there even is such a thing) allow for glitches it doesn't matter. If they don't, then this doesn't count. He's really just demonstrating some odd stuff you can do with the game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 10, 2010, 05:51:42 PM

But what or who is he cheating? If you glitch in CoD you are cheating to win a match. By doing this, is he taking away the world Portal speedrun title from someone? If the rules for the world record (if there even is such a thing) allow for glitches it doesn't matter. If they don't, then this doesn't count. He's really just demonstrating some odd stuff you can do with the game.

They're showing a "speed run".  They're cheating at the speed run, which is normally done to show how quickly someone can beat the game within the rules of the game.  Using bugs to do this isn't anything special.  It's no different than turning on noclip in a game to get to the end and then proclaiming how you made a speed run.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on December 10, 2010, 06:07:42 PM

They're showing a "speed run".  They're cheating at the speed run, which is normally done to show how quickly someone can beat the game within the rules of the game.  Using bugs to do this isn't anything special.  It's no different than turning on noclip in a game to get to the end and then proclaiming how you made a speed run.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say.  In retrospect, I should have used more words!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »

In the world of speed runs, you are essentially competing with others in time trials, a multiplayer activity. It's similar if someone was using speed hacks to get crazy times in a racing game.

I have no problems cheating in a single player experience for the purpose of having fun.

Anyway, besides that I don't think this was malicious, rather it was just him demonstrating his knowledge of the game, rather than posting this for competitive purposes.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »

I think the proper term for this is a sequence breaker speed run.  He's using the game in a way it wasn't intended to achiveve a quick time.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: