http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:10:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Projection TVs : Using them with your game consoles...  (Read 1050 times)
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2004, 06:56:26 PM »

I have a relatively new 43" Toshiba projection TV that I use to game on with my consoles.  I've used it for the past year with no problems at all.  The other day I was in GameStop and the clerk asked me what type of TV I had, so I told him.  He then told me I should check my owner's manual to make sure my consoles won't damage the TV.  He said he had played so much EA sports on his TV that the EA logo had burned into the screen!  I didn’t think much of it, until I noticed the warning in the GTA:SA manual telling me to check my owner’s manual for the same reason.  The owner’s manual doesn’t say anything about it, so I was wondering if any of you had experienced this?  Is this something I need to be conscious of?  Should I refrain from those 5-6 hour marathon GTA sessions?  Like I said, I've used the thing for a year now and have noticed no burn-in at all.

Glycerine

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 07:03:25 PM »

Yes it is a concern but one that can be managed.  Projection TVs are more subject to burn-in than most models.  Anything with static images (stock tickers, network logos) is an issue so its a concern with gaming due to their HUDs.  Its usually not a major concern unless the image is frozen on screen frequently for hours and hours at a time.  With the marathon sessions many gamers engage in this can happen.

You can mitigate the concern, however.  Calibrate your TV with Avia or DVD Essentials if you already haven't.  Most TVs come with the factory brightness and contrast settings set way too high by default (called "torch mode"). Calibrating your TV will help fix that.  With properly set brightness and contrast your risk of burn-in goes way, way down.  Otherwise, be aware of how much time a game is getting on your TV.  If you use your TV to do nothing but play GTA then make sure you keep it one other channels when you aren't using it so the other pixels get a work out.

Unfortunately burn-in is not covered by most TV warranties.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 07:17:35 PM »

I just got a new projector (front) after having my old one for a little over 5 years and there was never a problem. I don't anticipate one now either.

You'll be fine.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 10:08:53 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Often it *is* covered by extended warranties (Future Shop and Best buy do in canada, as well as Visions). I paid a whopping 80 bux for a 7 year warranty. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 12:59:21 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Often it *is* covered by extended warranties (Future Shop and Best buy do in canada, as well as Visions). I paid a whopping 80 bux for a 7 year warranty. slywink

And it specifically covers burn-in?  Wow, good deal!
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 10:16:44 PM »

Just bought a new TV the other day from BestBuy.  Was talkin to em about their warranties and they do cover burn in situations apparently.  I ended up getting a widescreen tube tho and I wasn't gonna pay $199 for the warranty on that.   Projection TV the warranty is definitely worth it because of burn in problems that can happen (if you accidently pause your game and forget you left it on pause and come back from the backyard 2 hours later to find it stilll on and paused....your fucked).  Also the projectors can suddenly die.  Tubes just don't die often enough, 1 TV out of 5 that I buy over the years goes out in 4 years i'll break even.  Odds are it'll never happen.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 10:33:41 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
you left it on pause and come back from the backyard 2 hours later to find it stilll on and paused....your fucked).

That's pretty extreme. 2 hours once isn't going to be a big deal, and certainly not on newer sets. Burn in is commonly seen with ticker tape displays on stock channels from day traders who leave the same thing on ALL THE TIME. Also, your glass set can suffer from the same burnin problems, although it is more rare.

So what make/model did you end up getting?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: