http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:00:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Sylpheed demo out  (Read 808 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:36:15 PM »

I just saw that this demo is now available in the Live Marketplace as well as a video trailer.  All I really know about the game is that it is a 3D space shooter remake of the old side scroller (even though this isn't side scrolling).  Like an action-y Wing Commander type thing maybe.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »

I'm pretty excited about this.  Most of the recent previews I've read indicate that it's a full fledged space shooter like Wing Commander, X-Wing, etc instead of something more on rails like Starfox (which is what I was expecting).  Add in a supposedly interesting story and some very pretty pyrotechnics and this one jumped up near the top of my Most Wanted list for this summer. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 14, 2007, 12:38:33 PM

I'm pretty excited about this.  Most of the recent previews I've read indicate that it's a full fledged space shooter like Wing Commander, X-Wing, etc instead of something more on rails like Starfox (which is what I was expecting).  Add in a supposedly interesting story and some very pretty pyrotechnics and this one jumped up near the top of my Most Wanted list for this summer. 

Neato! Time to download tonight.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »

Just got done with it.  It is more like Wing Commander than Starfox, but with a very strong arcade bend.  Definitely do the tutorials first as the controls are fairly complicated and you'll need to know a lot of the targeting commands to have any success in the sample mission.  I went methodically through all the tutorials and felt I had a good handle on how to control the ship.  Then you get in the mission and it is MAYHEM.  Enemies everywhere, way more than you could hope to track without knowing how to target the closest enemy and orient yourself to them automatically.  I ended up failing on my first try.  One of the girls said "Do you even know how to target the enemies?" frown

It definitely feels like you're playing an advanced stand-up arcade game to me.  Even the cheesy voice acting with heavy reverb reminds me of it.  I really enjoy that, but I think it won't be everyone's cup of tea.  There does seem to be a fairly involved customization portion of the game.  Before the actual mission you're given points that you can spend to research new weapons that you can then mount immediately on your ship.  I mounted a "rail gun" because I thought it sounded cool, but unfortunately it was a slow firing big gun, obviously designed for capital ships, whereas the mission was mainly swarms of fighters.  There were other options like swiveling machine guns that probably would have been better choices.  There may have been capitals out there too because one of my wingman kept explaining to me how to target subsystems on big ships, but I was busy trying to fend off the smaller ones.

Overall I think this is a "possible" for me, depending on budget concerns and what else is coming out in the same time frame.  I think this could have some really fun wing commander-type missions, but it could get tedious if every single mission is a giant swarm-fest.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:11:58 PM by kathode » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 01:34:03 PM »

thanks for the heads up

downloading the demo and trailer right now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:36:03 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 14, 2007, 01:09:28 PM

Overall I think this is a "possible" for me, depending on budget concerns and what else is coming out in the same time frame. 

Oh yeah, that reminds me- this one is coming out as a budget game on 360- "only" $39.99. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »

Is there supposed to be any multiplayer?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 03:46:30 PM »

i just played the demo,i did the tutorial and it seemed okay....then i started the mission and ....well it was a bit chaotic,seemed a bit of a mess....have to get used to it i suppose

did someone mention before today that this game was originally a SEGA game?,as it looks just like one,in fact it looked a lot like,or at least reminded me of Phantasy star

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »

Mayhem and chaotic are the words for that battle.  Sheesh.  I went through the tutorials, too.  They're not that complicated, but it's amazing how much you forget when you're thrown into the fight.  I was halfway through my second attempt before I remembered I could match speeds.  I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do to target the closest enemy (is it hold A??).  I think this could be fun, though.  I like that there's an overly dramatic story to go with the fighting.  I just hope there's a nice variety of missions and that there are mid-mission checkpoints (or short missions).

There is a review, according to Game Rankings.  360 Gamer Magazine UK (whoever they are) gave it 60%.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »

Weird, Major Nelson doesn't have this listed.
I definitely want to check it out, soon as I get my 360 hooked back up.
I've had the game preordered for ages now.
I hope the game isn't too hard to play through.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 02:24:43 AM »

I suspect the presence or absence of MP options will determine whether I pick this up or not.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 05:40:05 AM »

not bad for a budget priced game.  i like it.  looks crazy, but i wouldn't think every battle ends up that way.  i do like the big explosions from the destroyers though.  i've gotten pretty close to beating it.  i just wish you could refit during battle

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: