http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:18:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Morpheus: Sony Playstation VR  (Read 333 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:52:18 AM »

It's official. Demos and devkit at GDC.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:51:53 AM »

1080p

Uses the camera for some tracking, but has full 360 degree tracking even if the camera loses sight of the headset.

The setup they have will still show the game on the normal TV as a single screen and not fisheyed. They mention that this can be used to make gaming asymmetrical, similar to the Wii U pad, where the player with the VR on plays his normal game while another player watching the TV tries to kill him, or something like that.

I haven't read any more deep technical details. For example, as Carmack keeps saying, latency is the most important thing for VR, and I haven't seen anything about the latency yet.

However, much like the occulus, I am actually excited for this thing, even if it's a super novelty item that I'll likely only afford many years from now.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:56:02 AM »

I believe they said it detects motion at 1000hz, though checking now I see 100 or 1000 depending on the site I go to....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:59:57 AM by forgeforsaken » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:05:14 AM »

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319_e.html

Specifications of “Project Morpheus” Prototype

Component Processor unit, head-mounted unit
    Display Method LCD
    Panel Size 5 inches
    Panel Resolution 1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)
    Field of View 90 degrees
    Sensors Accelerometer, Gyroscope
    Connection interface HDMI + USB
    Function 3D audio, Social Screen
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »

I'm interested . That's for sure .
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:14:11 AM »

Can they make it affordable though? I doubt it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »

Eve Valkyrie is reported to be confirmed for this as well....I REALLY need a PS4!

A new one
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:48 AM »

Mel , kiss my grits.  eek

I've, thus far at least been alive for long enough to witness that TV show and this! On consoles! That's a lot in a lifetime.  If only for technology, I hope reincarnation exists.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

This article is the only Morpheus vs. Oculus comparison I can find so far.  It only goes down the spec sheets though; I'd really love to read some impressions from someone who's actually tried both.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »

I remember discussing this very thing with a friend of mine back in 1994. Our projections of when it would be a reality were WAY off (I was thinking within 10 years - or at that time about 2 console gens).

My 20 year old self back in '94 would have been doing cartwheels over this news. However, times have changed. With two kids and a wife competing for my attention, the VR stuff just seems like an avenue to further insulate yourself from reality. It's hard to sit down and find gaming time as it is, much less with earphones and a visor over my head so that I really can't tell what's going on in real life.

However, I will say that this makes more sense to me than the Oculus Rift. A controller can be used by touch alone with little to no difficulty, while trying to use the Rift with a keyboard never made any sense.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »

You can use controllers with the Oculus Rift, too.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »

In fact, the "best practices"-document that Oculus distributes to its developers recommends that their games use controllers instead of keyboard and mouse, as the latter can be hard to use when you can't see them. Keep in mind that Move is NOT required for Morpheus, which puts the two on equal footing, controller-wise.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »

The Verge hands on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRbHBhFkO-E&list=UUddiUEpeqJcYeBxX1IVBKvQ

Polygon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngMOngbsdY4
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »

I understand the Oculus can be used with controllers, but it's forcing the medium (the PC) to adapt to the Oculus rather than the other way around. I think VR is just a better fit for consoles because that native input method is already established.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 03:27:15 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 20, 2014, 12:59:57 AM

I understand the Oculus can be used with controllers, but it's forcing the medium (the PC) to adapt to the Oculus rather than the other way around. I think VR is just a better fit for consoles because that native input method is already established.

It seems like Sony wants to force the Move on people for the Morpheus, though, which is an even tougher sell than getting PC users to buy a controller.  (Though I suppose if they have a Morpheus bundle that comes with the Move, that wouldn't be a bad path.)

Controllers are becoming more and more commonplace on PCs anyhow.  Anyone know if the Steam hardware surveys show percentage of users with controllers?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 05:23:13 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 03:27:15 AM

It seems like Sony wants to force the Move on people for the Morpheus

I don't see how you can claim that based on what we've seen so far. Not only does Move-suitable games only fit a niche within VR games, everyone who has a PS4 already has a Move-compatible controller. The Dual Shock 4 can be used for that purpose, which is part of its design.

The Playstation camera, on the other hand, is a different story. Unless the Morpheus features a special camera, you'd probably have to buy one. Oculus Rift also features a camera in the newest version, so that's not really a Morpheus-specific thing anyway.

Speaking of the PS4 camera, it seems to have sold surprisingly well. Last I heard it had apparently sold over 900k units and is almost impossible to find, even more so than the PS4 itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: