http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 10:38:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Gotham Racing 4  (Read 3811 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 05, 2007, 06:08:25 PM

Quote from: disarm on October 05, 2007, 12:09:08 PM

Quote from: VegasD on October 04, 2007, 09:31:23 PM

-load times

that's a bummer to hear...was hoping they would improve on that after the painfully long loads in PGR3.  do they still make you watch the long loading screen every time you restart a race?

Yes and it is very disappointing after playing Stuntman:Ignition and Dirt both of which allowed you to restart a race instantly.  The load time isn't quite as long as when you first start the race but it still seems much too long a time to wait.  This is very evident for me in the early races where one mistake will allow the other cars to get ahead of me and from then on I can't catch up using the slow cars I have.  Having to sit through yet another load screen because I forgot there was a bump in the road just before that corner is aggravating,  it would be less so if I had a car that might be able to catch up.

I'm frustrated by the reload times as well.  I wouldn't care so much if it took longer to load the track if the reload was quick.  Flatout is instantaneous, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 05, 2007, 10:47:07 PM

Quote from: Zinfan on October 05, 2007, 06:08:25 PM

Quote from: disarm on October 05, 2007, 12:09:08 PM

Quote from: VegasD on October 04, 2007, 09:31:23 PM

-load times

that's a bummer to hear...was hoping they would improve on that after the painfully long loads in PGR3.  do they still make you watch the long loading screen every time you restart a race?

Yes and it is very disappointing after playing Stuntman:Ignition and Dirt both of which allowed you to restart a race instantly.  The load time isn't quite as long as when you first start the race but it still seems much too long a time to wait.  This is very evident for me in the early races where one mistake will allow the other cars to get ahead of me and from then on I can't catch up using the slow cars I have.  Having to sit through yet another load screen because I forgot there was a bump in the road just before that corner is aggravating,  it would be less so if I had a car that might be able to catch up.

I'm frustrated by the reload times as well.  I wouldn't care so much if it took longer to load the track if the reload was quick.  Flatout is instantaneous, too.

most top-tier 360 racing games have had near-instantaneous reloads (FO:UC, DiRT, Forza2, Burnout).  that's why it really disappoints to hear that they weren't able (or didn't try) to fix this issue for PGR4.  when you're trying to win a platinum event and make a mistake near the beginning, you know you should just start over to avoid wasting your time...but you get stuck with a long reload before getting another shot.  that's always been one of my biggest frustrations with PGR3.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 10:57:24 PM »

Just arrived from GF for me, can't wait to give it a spin!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 12:56:31 AM »

Put about an hour into the game and I definately like it, although I'm not sure how long it'll hold my interest. The graphics are beautiful and the game runs really smooth, the motorcycles are a lot of fun to race with for me. I tried getting some screenshots from my replays but the replay interface is garbage, at least from what I can tell so far. There's no way to tell how far into the race you are, and when you hit fast forward it simply jumps to a further point in time rather than speeding up the video. Also, I went into the shop and bought a package of cars, but I couldn't seem to use them during career mode, not sure how to use them.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2007, 09:10:44 AM »

I'm having a better time of it after I moved the difficulty to silver instead of gold.  Now I can progress though the races and win some kudos.  I wasn't too impressed when I tried the "2 wheel only" section of the arcade races in that each track took place either at night, in the fog or best yet on snow.  Sheesh I'd like a chance to see the track and be able to set up my lines but every time the graphic settings made it very difficult.  I got medals in each of the events so it couldn't have been that bad but I hope not all races are run in limited visibility mode.  One the plus side the achievements have started to rack up and I guess I'll be quite happy to circle around in silver instead of gold level.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 04:38:09 PM by Zinfan » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »

This game is FUN!

Note to Vegas:  Thanks for the invites to play.  Maybe next time you could, I don't know.... WAIT for me to join before starting your damn race!!

Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2007, 04:43:26 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 06, 2007, 10:58:09 AM

This game is FUN!

Note to Vegas:  Thanks for the invites to play.  Maybe next time you could, I don't know.... WAIT for me to join before starting your damn race!!

Tongue

Lol, sorry man.  I wasn't the host.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »

The PGR4 demo is now up in the XBox Live Marketplace.  1.27GB, 3 cars, 2 bikes and 2 tracks, apparently. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2007, 05:12:39 PM »

For those who hated the previous PGR cone challenges, they've split "Cone Challenge" into two events.

The one that most resembles the old cone challenge scoring method places groupings of cones in parts of the track and actually asks you to hit them on purpose. Once you hit the required number of cones the event ends. There have been very few of these events. I don't actually believe I've encountered one in probably the last 10 championships I've finished. The ones you do encounter should be mostly easy. There's one or two that required one or two retries, but in general they're not hard.

The other that most resembles the old cone challenges as far as the way a track is setup and the way you have to drive is the Cone Gate Challenge. In these there is no Kudos requirement to finish. Think of it more as a Hot Lap or Time Attack event with a set path through the track for you to follow. Missing a cone gate will incur a time penalty that will be added to your total lap/race time. These haven't generally been very hard either, though it will depend on what difficulty you choose. If you're playing on Normal though they shouldn't generally be much of a problem as long as you pick a decent car.

My only gripes with the game:

One is the difficulty settings. I miss the old Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum setup. It's still there in the arcade events but it's gone for the Career mode. In Career your options are the usual Easy, Normal, and Hard. The general consensus is that Easy is far too easy and Normal jumps back and forth from being a tiny bit on the easy side to being way too hard. I can't say I've encountered anything way too hard, but take what I say with a grain of salt. I finished PGR3 all the way through on Gold difficulty, so may viewpoint is likely skewed.

My other complaint is that the career mode can be a bit punishing if you fail certain events. The event calendar seems like a cool and fun idea until you fail a qualifier for a Major Championship and then just.. don't get to race in it until you've gone through the whole schedule again and started back in September. It's especially frustrating if you make a couple of mistakes but still think you can finish, only to discover that you miss by less than half a second on your qualifying time. Once you've finished.. you're finished. There is no retry option once you've crossed the finish line. You can restart a race from the pause menu if you know beforehand that you're not going to make it, but taking away the retry option once you've crossed the finish line feels like a really artificial way of extending game length. It makes sense given the career mode's overall setup, but can still be a bit frustrating the first time you get bit by it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on October 09, 2007, 05:12:39 PM

For those who hated the previous PGR cone challenges, they've split "Cone Challenge" into two events.

The one that most resembles the old cone challenge scoring method places groupings of cones in parts of the track and actually asks you to hit them on purpose. Once you hit the required number of cones the event ends. There have been very few of these events. I don't actually believe I've encountered one in probably the last 10 championships I've finished. The ones you do encounter should be mostly easy. There's one or two that required one or two retries, but in general they're not hard.

The other that most resembles the old cone challenges as far as the way a track is setup and the way you have to drive is the Cone Gate Challenge. In these there is no Kudos requirement to finish. Think of it more as a Hot Lap or Time Attack event with a set path through the track for you to follow. Missing a cone gate will incur a time penalty that will be added to your total lap/race time. These haven't generally been very hard either, though it will depend on what difficulty you choose. If you're playing on Normal though they shouldn't generally be much of a problem as long as you pick a decent car.

My only gripes with the game:

One is the difficulty settings. I miss the old Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum setup. It's still there in the arcade events but it's gone for the Career mode. In Career your options are the usual Easy, Normal, and Hard. The general consensus is that Easy is far too easy and Normal jumps back and forth from being a tiny bit on the easy side to being way too hard. I can't say I've encountered anything way too hard, but take what I say with a grain of salt. I finished PGR3 all the way through on Gold difficulty, so may viewpoint is likely skewed.

My other complaint is that the career mode can be a bit punishing if you fail certain events. The event calendar seems like a cool and fun idea until you fail a qualifier for a Major Championship and then just.. don't get to race in it until you've gone through the whole schedule again and started back in September. It's especially frustrating if you make a couple of mistakes but still think you can finish, only to discover that you miss by less than half a second on your qualifying time. Once you've finished.. you're finished. There is no retry option once you've crossed the finish line. You can restart a race from the pause menu if you know beforehand that you're not going to make it, but taking away the retry option once you've crossed the finish line feels like a really artificial way of extending game length. It makes sense given the career mode's overall setup, but can still be a bit frustrating the first time you get bit by it.

I stopped playing career mode entirely because of that "feature."

I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually, but, man, was that a stupid decision.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2007, 09:53:09 PM »

got this today,but have yet to put it in the 360

are you people still enjoying it?

i played the demo the other day and as expected,i was shit...but that doesnt stop a game being fun,right?..anyway,i have it now and will explore it over this weekend

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2007, 08:47:15 AM »

I picked this up yesterday. Enjoying it so far.

Not keen on the menu and interface at all, PGR3's was much better. I much prefer top to bottom menus than side scrolling ones and there is lots of clicking through to actually getting to where you want to go. Also not keen on the way you buy car packs or helmet packs etc with Kudos, i'd rather just buy stuff with Kudos rather than packs, begrudge paying x amount of Kudos for a pack that has only 1 car or bike i want out of the 5 or so in there.

I don't mind the new structured way of getting through the game, i'm ranked 59th already after doing upto the 1st major championship and winning it. Graphically it's great, the weather changes are nice and the tracks themselves are pretty good. Also the arcade mode is a nice change from the career mode. Normally i don't bother with arcade mode but it's worth playing for a change.

All in all a step up from PGR3 except for the menu. If any one wants a online game gimmie a shout in game(got no mic though).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2007, 02:08:03 PM »

i am loving this game,its 10 times better than pgr3..but yeah the menus suck

it feels as though you are cheating if you use a bike against the other cars,as overtaking through tight squeezes is great

been messing about with the photos as well

here are a few if

doing stunts on bikes is cool..got a few achievements as well

see my Union Jack on my back,LOL

this picture below is an interesting one,bottom right is the bike,top leftish is the biker...i am in the blueish ford car,and i just rammed the living hell out of all of these,therfor making the biker fall...hee hee

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2007, 02:12:37 PM »

How do you pull off a stunt?  Just curious.  I was able to pull a wheelie no problem, but what makes him do those cool other tricks.  I am only playing around with the demo at this point.  No money for the game right now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »

while doing a wheelie,press B button....you can also do endos by speeding up,pressing up on your left thumbstick and hitting hard on the brake

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 13, 2007, 02:16:46 PM

while doing a wheelie,press B button....you can also do endos by speeding up,pressing up on your left thumbstick and hitting hard on the brake

you can also make a difference in the type of stunt performed by how long you hold the B button down.  quick taps will give different results than holding down the button for a few seconds.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »

Rodeo is my favourite

i will say this,the bikes i didnt think i would like,but it most races,using a bike is a lot better than using a car,some races when you want to overtake someone,in a car you get stuck on their ass...where as a bike you can easily overtake

has anyone done that looooong track in the snow yet?,you use a 1950s racing car...hard track,but good for getting off some achievements(the 3 x 500 kudos star one,and the 9000 a race kudos one )

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »

I rented this sucker, and for some reason I am just not enjoying it that much-I enjoyed Forza though I burned out quickly, but I can't really get into it-I think the problem is I can't take the really sharp turns properly and ever keep my lead, and restarting is sloooow.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2007, 08:52:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 13, 2007, 06:53:03 PM

Rodeo is my favourite

i will say this,the bikes i didnt think i would like,but it most races,using a bike is a lot better than using a car,some races when you want to overtake someone,in a car you get stuck on their ass...where as a bike you can easily overtake

has anyone done that looooong track in the snow yet?,you use a 1950s racing car...hard track,but good for getting off some achievements(the 3 x 500 kudos star one,and the 9000 a race kudos one )

I just did the Nurburgring one, 10.30secs for 1 lap in the snow in an old 1950's sports car. TBH i really struggled, did it in 10.28secs with about 300kudos  Roll Eyes let alone doing anything special  crybaby

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2007, 10:44:59 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on October 13, 2007, 08:52:17 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 13, 2007, 06:53:03 PM

Rodeo is my favourite

what i did was get all my achievements...by sliding round,doing donuts,and then when i got them,i restarted the race

I just did the Nurburgring one, 10.30secs for 1 lap in the snow in an old 1950's sports car. TBH i really struggled, did it in 10.28secs with about 300kudos  Roll Eyes let alone doing anything special  crybaby

what i did was get all my achievements by doing a lot of sliding around and doing donuts works as well...then wehn i got them i restarted the race and concentrated

i just did my 3D photo(see below)and didnt get my achievement.....the bastards!!

EDIT:apparently the achievement only unlocks when you take a 3d picture of a car not a bike,so i will do that tomorrow

there are some cool secret achievements as well...drive a delorean in a storm and reach 88mph and wait for lightning to strike

drive a aston martinDB5 and drive on the las vegas strip and go the wrong way up the track and park the car outside the casino royale

and another one is to have only 'the bloc' song on while driving an arcade race and come second
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 12:00:07 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2007, 02:05:06 AM »

Quote from: Reemul

It took you ten minutes? Lordy!

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm pretty sure my goal time was almost a whole minute less than that and I believe I finished with plenty of time to spare.

That old Maserati is much faster than you give it credit for smile

Don't worry about the 9,000 Kudos in a race one. There will be plenty of opportunities for that later on.

And me celebrating a nice win on a bike:

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2007, 09:54:43 AM »

Well i have to admit i am on easy as i suck big style as my time shows :O)

never thought to restart though, that was a good idea.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on October 14, 2007, 09:54:43 AM

Well i have to admit i am on easy as i suck big style as my time shows :O)

never thought to restart though, that was a good idea.

in some cases though,if you want to restart,you have to do it before you cross the finish line,otherwise it saves your attempt and you fail...as my second major proved disgust

i am still not getting the 3d picture achievement,no matter what i have bikes or cars

oh,and later on in the game,keep your eye on a german driver called Jan something or other...he is a bastard,if he knocks you ,you fly off the track and he is fine,if you knock him,you fly off the track and he is fine....hate,hate,hate

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2007, 03:50:22 PM »

Bought it this weekend, enjoying the career mode. Played a couple races in the arcade mode, enjoyed that as well. the bikes are fun, I particularly enjoy sending their riders flying. biggrin I agree with whoever posted before that I'd rather buy individual cars then packs and even then I don't really know which packs to buy. I just grab stuff at random when I notice Kudos stacking up.

This feels better than PGR3 to me, though I can't say why. PGR2 is still tops in this series in my mind.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2007, 06:20:17 PM »

Well i finished the 1st season of my career on easy level. Went from ranked 72 to ranked 36 so moved the skill level to medium. Add to that playing the higher level tournaments and at times i'm really struggling. Finished a few 5th's as well as 4th's and sometimes never get anywhere near winning.

I have 175k Kudos so am about to buy the Ferrari pack for the best 4 Ferraris which may help me do better. Definitely enjoying playing it but not too keen on the motorbikes yet.

Also sometimes the graphics look great an dother times they look pretty poor depending on which cars you use.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: