http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 08:01:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Gotham Racing 4  (Read 3774 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:44:42 AM »

Is this sports or console?  Whatever.  I'll let Ken decide. 

Anyway, here's the scoop:

Gametrailers gives it... 8.7

Video Review can be found here if you want to watch it.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 03:06:47 AM »

hmm,thats suprising...as OXM UK gave it a 10(same mag that gave Halo3 and Blue Dragon a 9)...although i wouldnt be suprised with it not being a 10,but i still thought anything over 9 was gonna be on the cards...but 8.7 is still a great score,perhaps not theblaze of glory that Bizarre would like to go out on though
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:12:47 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 04:09:09 AM »

Scores are looking good.  I'll most likely be picking this one up this weekend.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:58:14 AM »

Got this one in my GF queue, I've never played a PGR game before so I'm excited to get into this one.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 06:37:13 AM »

I'm surprised at the reviews so far.  Not that they are bad, but I was expecting all 9+ based on how improved it looks over PGR3, the large number of diverse cars and everything.

I'd like to try it out, but I don't know if I could go back to the unforgiving cone runs in PGR after playing Stuntman: Ignition where you can knock over a can or run into something and it won't break your combo.  There's still plenty of challenge to be had with the number of "close" multipliers you can get and the points you get more points the closer you are to something. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 03, 2007, 06:37:13 AM

I'm surprised at the reviews so far.  Not that they are bad, but I was expecting all 9+ based on how improved it looks over PGR3, the large number of diverse cars and everything.

I'd like to try it out, but I don't know if I could go back to the unforgiving cone runs in PGR after playing Stuntman: Ignition where you can knock over a can or run into something and it won't break your combo.  There's still plenty of challenge to be had with the number of "close" multipliers you can get and the points you get more points the closer you are to something. 

there is,apparently a demo coming...but since it was said,nothing else has been

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:12:45 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on October 03, 2007, 04:09:09 AM

Scores are looking good.  I'll most likely be picking this one up this weekend.

No you're not.  Instead you will work on playing some of your existing games, especially the multiplayer variants, such as Madden and Halo 3.  Cowboys/Eagles, and then Halo 3 with the PeteRocks.  You weekend has already been planned out for you.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »

I am more concerned about the amount of actual races with AI and not the time or cones. Can someone give a percentage AI races vs the other crap PG like to throw in at you?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:00:21 PM by JuniorDan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 03:57:27 PM »

I'm interested in hearing how the cycles handle myself.  the weather system sounds awesom though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »

For the first time, I plan on skipping a PGR game. It just doesn't interest me anymore, way too arcadey after playing Forza, and the idea of having to once again weave through cones for "kudos" just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I know I am the minority on this, but PGR's best days are behind it, I think.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 04:05:45 PM »

Far too much content left in Forza 2 for me need to pick this one up at all. Might give it a rental next year. icon_wink

They really should've spaced the release further out...

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »

I think I'm going to pick this up as I'm a little burned out on Forza 2 and they haven't yet released the track pack.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:50:42 PM »

I just picked mine up.  Uh... The box is nice smile  Won't be able to play until much later tonight.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »

I played PGR3 to death... I'll definitely be picking this one up sooner rather than later.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 06:51:38 PM »

Got mine and gave it a little play. Bikes are harder than I thought they would be, or maybe that's just because I've never ridden except in TDU. I was never much into PGR3 so I can't say chapter and verse how it's different, except maybe it feels less arcade-like. More later.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 09:52:56 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2007, 04:04:34 PM

For the first time, I plan on skipping a PGR game. It just doesn't interest me anymore, way too arcadey after playing Forza, and the idea of having to once again weave through cones for "kudos" just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I know I am the minority on this, but PGR's best days are behind it, I think.

My sentiments too, but I hope to hear from the impressions that the cone runs are less than 10 percent of the game.  If that were true, I might go ahead and get it some day cheap.   

I am Xboxalot on Live.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 10:35:25 PM »

I'll GF it eventually just to check out the motorcycles and the new weather.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 12:48:42 PM »

I only got a few races in under my belt last night, but it seems like good ol' PGR to me.  I imagine there will be something of a Forza/PGR split with people, but one thing I can say for sure is that this is definitely more visually impressive at first glance.  I guess this is 30fps and Forza is 60 but I didn't even notice while I was playing.  The tracks are much more detailed as far as buildings and crowds go, and the atmospheric and weather effects are spectacular.  I don't usually play in "cockpit mode" but I'm tempted to this time because the rain streaking on the windshield is so nice looking.  I played a couple tracks where the whole goal was to finish the race with a certain number of kudos, and while it's been a long time since I played PGR3, this one seems more forgiving.  I was able to brush the guardrails without losing my streak, and it seemed like it was easier to keep streaks going with stuff like burnouts.  Bikes are FUN!  It's pretty cool to blow past someone while doing a wheelie and look back and wave at them.  Unfortunately I just upgraded to a bike that's too heavy for my guy to pull it up frown
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »

thanks kathode, but do you have any idea on the percentage of the game that is actual races vs cone challenges.
If I remember correctly in PGR3 you can look ahead up to 3 events an see what the events were.
I just hate the cone challenges and thats whats keeping me away from getting this game right now.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 01:46:14 PM »

That is my only concern as well.  Once (hopefully) my fears are put at ease, I'm IN!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »

I'm actually having a harder time with this than I expected.  The kudos are more forgiving (you can skim a wall and still be fine), but the pathways seem to be more narrow and so far my cars are all a little too slow.  One guy manages to pull way ahead and a lot of luck is involved catching him. 

I've been more frustrated than entertained, personally, but I think that may be to playing DiRT, Forza and Stuntman: Ignition too much.  There's always a re-learning curve with PGR, especially with knowing when to brake to avoid slamming into walls, but not braking too much so you're still in the race.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, have been really easy for me.  I unlocked 3 or 4 achievements in my first cycle race.  It was the first time I got the cheering kudos, too.  I'm not sure what it is, but the bike just clicked with me.  Really a lot of fun.  And it's easy to keep the kudos going because you can pull wheelies.  At least until I get a heavier bike.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on October 04, 2007, 01:28:30 PM

thanks kathode, but do you have any idea on the percentage of the game that is actual races vs cone challenges.
If I remember correctly in PGR3 you can look ahead up to 3 events an see what the events were.
I just hate the cone challenges and thats whats keeping me away from getting this game right now.

No idea right now.  I only played about an hour and a half last night, and I really only did about three races.  Haven't done a cone race yet.  I started out trying platinum but was replaying one race so much that I resigned myself to playing gold for my first time through.  Just doing arcade too.  I did notice that there were seperate medals awarded depending on whether you finished the race with a car or with a bike, so there's a huge amount of gameplay in there.

Also forgot to mention, but the achievements in this game are great.  Playing an hour and a half, I managed 145 points.  There's a good spread of stuff that's easy to get vs. stuff to aim for.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:20:36 PM by kathode » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »

Load times are longer than I like.  I played the first two events (three races each) in career mode and there were no cone challenges.  They are in the game but I haven't run into them yet.  I'm using the MS wheel and the bike is controllable but I may need to switch out to the normal controller and see if that is better, I'm not sure how to pop wheelies using the wheel.  Force feedback is very good as you might expect since PGR3 shipped with the wheel and PGR4 improves on it IMO.  I bought some understeering pig of a car for the second series of events and you really could feel it struggling to make the corners.  I need to figure out the interface as I'd like to go back and re-run the first series but I saw no way to do it, the interface isn't nearly as well done as the one in Dirt.  The graphics are very nice and I'm waiting to see some changing weather patterns, I hope there is more than just rain included.  Unlike kathode my achievement score after about 45 minutes of play stands at 5 points  crybaby.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 05:06:51 PM »

I have 210 points in 9 achievements and have played for just over an hour, maybe an hour and a half.  The cycle brought a lot of those.

Load times are a tad long, I agree, but again, that may come from playing Stuntman: Ignition too much. 

I actually preferred the basic style of PGR 2's menus to this.  It's not as easy to see what you've pulled off at a glance.  DiRT's menu is near perfection.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 05:22:49 PM »

I just got done with an hour on the game. More fun than I remember PGR3 to be. I did get a couple of cone races in career, but they were a nice mix with the time trials, breakthrough and other modes. I'm still bad at collecting Kudos but I'm getting better.

VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »

I grabbed it last night.  I loved PGR2/3 online w/ Lockdown and the gang!

So far so good - I like how you unlock packages for new cars/tracks/modes.  Careful though, I managed to unlock a pack of cars with the hopes that they would help me win a specific race, but those cars can't be used in this race (class issue?).

+graphics
+controls
+blend between arcade and simulation

-load times
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 10:22:43 PM »

as someone who has never owned any of the previous PGRs, I can say I'm liking PGR4 a lot.  but I'm not going to compare it to Forza 2 (which I love), because they are totally different types of racing games IMO

the track graphics really are awesome, and the weather effects definitely look cool.  I haven't had to do any cone events yet in about 2-3 hours of play

as others have said though, the loading times are kinda long.  but so far, a very fun game
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 10:36:40 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2007, 04:04:34 PM

I'm in the exact same boat.  Forza did it for me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 02:46:42 AM »

Anyone know why no demo for this yet?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 05:13:46 AM »

Played a bit today and digging it.  The format is quite different than PGR3, but the gameplay is still pretty damned fun.

gellar
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 07:49:28 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 05, 2007, 02:46:42 AM

Anyone know why no demo for this yet?

no idea,everytime a demo appears on xbox live and major nelson reports it,everyone just asks,wheres the PGR4 demo

PGR 4 doesnt get released until a week today for me....so,i may pick it up next week...but to be honest i still have PGR3 and hardly played it...yes it was the cones that put me off

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »

Quote from: VegasD on October 04, 2007, 09:31:23 PM

-load times

that's a bummer to hear...was hoping they would improve on that after the painfully long loads in PGR3.  do they still make you watch the long loading screen every time you restart a race?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »

Who am I kidding.... there is no way I can stay away from a PGR game.  I'm IN!

LD

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »

Sigh, well, I ended up buying it........and it is DAMN GOOD!!!!!!! Much better than PGR3, which felt shoddy to me. PGR4 is a great game, very happy with it.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 02:29:27 PM »

That's great to hear.  See you online, j.

LD

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 05, 2007, 02:29:27 PM

That's great to hear.  See you online, j.

Yeah buddy, look for me.

I should add, the achievements on this game, so far, VERY cool. I played the crap out of it last night and got 385 achievement points.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 03:30:12 PM »

Much better than PGR3, which felt shoddy to me. PGR4 is a great game, very happy with it.

That seals it. I was lukewarm on PGR3 as well.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

Quote from: disarm on October 05, 2007, 12:09:08 PM

Quote from: VegasD on October 04, 2007, 09:31:23 PM

-load times

that's a bummer to hear...was hoping they would improve on that after the painfully long loads in PGR3.  do they still make you watch the long loading screen every time you restart a race?

Yes and it is very disappointing after playing Stuntman:Ignition and Dirt both of which allowed you to restart a race instantly.  The load time isn't quite as long as when you first start the race but it still seems much too long a time to wait.  This is very evident for me in the early races where one mistake will allow the other cars to get ahead of me and from then on I can't catch up using the slow cars I have.  Having to sit through yet another load screen because I forgot there was a bump in the road just before that corner is aggravating,  it would be less so if I had a car that might be able to catch up.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »

I just played another hour on PGR4 and again I'm finding it to be a lot of fun. I don't specifically try for Kudos, they come as part of driving the correct line and passing people as well as showboating. The variety of cars and bikes, the cockpit cam and the great tracks all make it great. If Forza 2 would release more tracks I'd jump back to that in a second, but for now I'm finding PGR4 to be quite entertaining.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: