http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:37:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with my Xbox, Optical out and my receiver, any ideas  (Read 985 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2005, 11:17:55 PM »

I just bought an Optical Cable for my Xbox to hook it into the digital in on my receiver, but it looks like their is no signal being sent.

I double checked all the settings on my xbox and it's set up with all digital sound functions enabled. So what am I missing? Is it normal for someone to have to configure their receiver for digital sound? shouldn't it automatically register when I turn it on to the digital channel? Could the cable be bad?

any suggestions are welcome

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:26:21 PM »

Is there red light coming out of the cable at the end?

You might want to see if you have to set the rcvr for the optical in.

I know with mine there are a block of video ins and a seperate block of audio ins and in the setup you have to pair them up.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 11:42:59 PM »

Yeah, check to make sure there's a red light there at the end of the cord.  

Also, is the optical input shared with a coax, and is something plugged into the coax?  With mine, there's a shared one, and one has a higher priority than the other.  So if I have a signal running in on the coax input, the signal from the optical isn't heard.  It shouldn't be a problem if the component plugged into the other port isn't on.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 11:52:53 PM »

I'll double check things, I am pretty sure there was a red light, and I set the receiver to digital in and it acts like there is no signal...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 12:03:17 AM »

On my receiver I had to specify which optical input should go to which channel.  For example my TV sound from the converter box goes into optical one, but I had to tell the receiver to send optical one to the TV channel (as opposed to DVD\CD\AUX etc.)  I hope that makes sense.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 12:55:47 AM »

Huh I don't see anything like that, but my manual says that the optical in is for receiving digital signals from a satellite dish etc. could that be a problem? I don't see why it would be.

I don't have a digital coaxial, and the only other wires for the system are the Component video cables for the DVD player...

just for reference I have the Panasonic SCHT-900 it's a packaged system and has the receiver and dvd player combined. I had no issues before when I just hooked things directly into the system, like my gamecube. The Xbox is definately putting out a signal through the optical wire, and the HD kit works because I tested it with RCAs. I emailed panasonic so hopefully something will come of that.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 01:33:28 AM »

Pauly stoopid..

It helps if you remove the plastic covers off of the cable tips before installing the wires... Works like a champ now, very nice sound...

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 04:22:09 AM »

Nice one :wink: . I`ve done similar things, even worse. I shall not speak of them. :oops:
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 06:49:43 AM »

Hey, when I hooked up my new TV, I managed to hook one of the component cables into the coax audio out on the DVD player, and I managed to bend two of the pins on an svideo cable by trying to either put it in upside down, or into an RCA jack, don't remember which.  I do remember having to bend them back with a razorblade.

Don't try and hook up convoluted AV setups at midnight.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 07:59:23 AM »

Lol, nice one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: