http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 12:19:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with KOTOR installation. Please advise!!!  (Read 1274 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2004, 09:12:23 PM »

I just got KOTOR and while I was installing it, I ran out of HD space.  I cancelled the installation, deleted what was installed (since i wasnt able to do it from the add/remove programs) and then deleted some other crap to free up space and then defragged.  Now when i try to install i just get an error message.  Am i going to have to format my comp just to get rid of some hidden KOTOR files so that i can install it properly?
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 09:28:03 PM »

Why reformat?  Go to some KOTOR forums, find out what hidden files and registry entries the game installs, and delete them.  Reformatting would be like using a nuke to take out a city where you know a murderer is living.

If I had the game myself, I'd help you.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 09:47:20 PM »

My answer to everything is reformat smile
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 10:34:33 PM »

Man, that's a foreign concept to me.  I haven't reformatted my machine since I got it almost two years ago; registry cleaners and some smart maintenence have kept it pretty much good as new.  Do people really reformat that often?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 01:01:09 AM »

I only have a 20 gig hd so it isnt that big a deal.  I was actually thinking of formating so that I could get another HD and then just have a clean install of windows xp on this one and everything else on the other.
Anyways i took your advice and found a solution.  Here it is for anyone else who has had similar problems.

From Dassassin's suggestion i decided to add a little tip to get by the reinstallation bug. Many people seem to have encountered this bug and through extensive tests and brainstorming a solution has been found!

Reinstallation Bug Fix:
1. Download a program called RegCleaner from www.majorgeeks.com

2. Run this and remove any traces of "KotOR", "LucasArts" and "BioWare".

3. Open up "My Computer" and select "Tools" at the top toolbar. Then select "Folder Options". After this go to the "View" Tab and select "Show hidden files and folders".

4. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temp. Remove all files in this folder.

5. Now go to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information. In here delete the folder with the following title: {2A9A40C7-6670-4D5F-8F41-D12E2E08B48B}.

This should fix the installation bug. Thanks to DerBruzzler for contacting Activision and finding out which folder to remove.
I hope this helps many of you out........
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 01:25:29 AM »

Still kind of odd that the game would install registry entries before it finished installing; I thought most games waited until the game files were installed to stick themselves in the registry, for just this kind of case.

snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 11:53:52 PM »

I was just going to suggest RegCleaner, and then saw your post about finding out about it. I've had RegCleaner for awhile now, and believe me, it works wonders in cleaning out your registry. Wouldn't be without it now. Good luck to you, hope you get KOTOR to run.

The quiet one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: