http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:11:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prison Architect [PC/Steam]  (Read 852 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

We had a thread about this game over on OO, but since they don't seem to be around anymore crybaby I'll start one here.

It's on sale, 40% off, on Steam this weekend. The game is in Early Access, but it's playable and a lot of fun if keeping people locked up and watching them in the showers is your thing icon_wink.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, the game was just (today) updated to Alpha 13, which adds prisoner escapes, policy tuning and other updates.

Alpha 13 has been released! Steam users will be automatically updated.

Itís time to rethink your prison layouts! Prisoners can now dig escape tunnels, using tools theyíve stolen from around the prison. They will do their best to dig around buildings and walls (which slow them down), and they will even co-operate and join up their tunnels and dig together to escape quicker. If they manage to tunnel outside your outer wall they will dig up out of the ground in a puff of dirt, and make a run for it. And we donít have snipers in the game yet, so itís just tough luck if they make it that far.

An important thing to realise is that when prisoners are tunnelling, they are actually deep underground and often far away from their cell. However you will still see them in bed asleep. If you search a sleeping prisoner who is actually tunnelling, the fallacy will be immediately revealed - his face will be replaced by a papier mache dummy with a face painted on the front, enough to trick your guards into not realising what was happening. The tunnel will be revealed and the prisoner will pop out of the ground wherever he is, and will make a run for it.

You can build new Perimeter Walls around your prison, which are very tall, very deep and very expensive. Prisoners will do their best to tunnel around these, and will only tunnel through them if there is no other escape route - and it will take a long time to do so. However you canít build pipes and electrical utilities through these walls, so youíll need to plan where your weak-spots are going to be.

We also continue to work towards better right wing controls over your prison, for those that want them. You can now research and unlock a new ďPolicyĒ report, which allows you to set the type and amount of punishment doled out for fighting, stealing, rioting etc. The defaults are set to exactly how it was before, but if you choose to you could throw prisoners in solitary confinement for 24 hours after a fight, if you thought that was appropriate. This will have a seriously detrimental effect on that prisoner and he will not cause any more trouble for quite some time. On top of that, from the new Policy screen you can request automatic searches of prisoners and their cells when they go off the rails. Catch a prisoner with an escape tool? Automatically search his cell.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:07:05 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:52 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 29, 2013, 07:00:51 PM

We had a thread about this game over on OO, but since they don't seem to be around anymore crybaby I'll start one here.

It's on sale, 40% off, on Steam this weekend. The game is in Early Access, but it's playable and a lot of fun if keeping people locked up and watching them in the showers is your thing icon_wink.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, the game was just (today) updated to Alpha 13, which adds prisoner escapes, policy tuning and other updates.

Alpha 13 has been released! Steam users will be automatically updated.

Itís time to rethink your prison layouts! Prisoners can now dig escape tunnels, using tools theyíve stolen from around the prison. They will do their best to dig around buildings and walls (which slow them down), and they will even co-operate and join up their tunnels and dig together to escape quicker. If they manage to tunnel outside your outer wall they will dig up out of the ground in a puff of dirt, and make a run for it. And we donít have snipers in the game yet, so itís just tough luck if they make it that far.

An important thing to realise is that when prisoners are tunnelling, they are actually deep underground and often far away from their cell. However you will still see them in bed asleep. If you search a sleeping prisoner who is actually tunnelling, the fallacy will be immediately revealed - his face will be replaced by a papier mache dummy with a face painted on the front, enough to trick your guards into not realising what was happening. The tunnel will be revealed and the prisoner will pop out of the ground wherever he is, and will make a run for it.

You can build new Perimeter Walls around your prison, which are very tall, very deep and very expensive. Prisoners will do their best to tunnel around these, and will only tunnel through them if there is no other escape route - and it will take a long time to do so. However you canít build pipes and electrical utilities through these walls, so youíll need to plan where your weak-spots are going to be.

We also continue to work towards better right wing controls over your prison, for those that want them. You can now research and unlock a new ďPolicyĒ report, which allows you to set the type and amount of punishment doled out for fighting, stealing, rioting etc. The defaults are set to exactly how it was before, but if you choose to you could throw prisoners in solitary confinement for 24 hours after a fight, if you thought that was appropriate. This will have a seriously detrimental effect on that prisoner and he will not cause any more trouble for quite some time. On top of that, from the new Policy screen you can request automatic searches of prisoners and their cells when they go off the rails. Catch a prisoner with an escape tool? Automatically search his cell.

This looks fun and it is mac compatible. I'm in. Thanks for the heads up.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »

been playing this on and off.  it's interesting, but I wished they would give you a bit more time before your first inmates showed up to design a layout.  if there is an option to do so I must have missed it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »

Ya, I bought this last night, and lets say I haven't stayed up till 12:30am in a long long time. 

First mistake, and a big one.  I didn't build a fence to secure the perimeter....  Oops.
CylusMaxii
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »

I've been keeping my eye on this one. Its Early Access and I have a good backlog, so I haven't bitten yet.  Its very tempting though..
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2013, 11:31:12 AM

been playing this on and off.  it's interesting, but I wished they would give you a bit more time before your first inmates showed up to design a layout.  if there is an option to do so I must have missed it.
I accidentally found out a way to do this.  If you remove the inmate access area the first drop off will just keep driving.  Doesn't appear to be any penalty.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »

when I try to access the wiki it asks for a username and password.  Am I not allowed to view it?  Don't see where I can register a username.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2013, 11:31:12 AM

There is a way icon_biggrin. When you start a new prison from the menu, do NOT check the "Continuous intake" box.

After you start the game you can turn off prisoner intake by clicking the "Open" button on the Report/Prisoners screen. You re-enable prisoner intake by clicking the "Closed" which changes it to "Open".

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »

What am I doing wrong.  It says I need to be surrounded by walls and doors.  Everything is surrounded and has 1 door...

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »

It's hard to tell from the screenshot but it looks like you have have forgotten to zone each individual room.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:56:10 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 30, 2013, 09:45:40 PM

It's hard to tell from the screenshot but it looks like you have have forgotten to zone each individual room.

ya that's exactly what I did wrong

Now it still says I need to upgrade to 15 beds.  I have 20 but nothing has changed
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »

Do you have prisoners living in the holding cell area instead of getting their own rooms?   Judging by your picture you have 58 inmates. If you only have 20 beds thatís a problem.

Also I just noticed half your toilets are installed backwards.  I feel bad for your prisoners.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:42:27 PM by Lordnine » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 11:34:24 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 30, 2013, 10:38:28 PM

Do you have prisoners living in the holding cell area instead of getting their own rooms?   Judging by your picture you have 58 inmates. If you only have 20 beds thatís a problem.

Also I just noticed half your toilets are installed backwards.  I feel bad for your prisoners.

ya I keep forgetting to rotate, the icons are too small for me to notice sometimes

I now have over 100 inmates and most of them are in the holding cell...
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 11:45:02 PM »

Man this game is fun... when it works.  But I've had to start over at least several times due to my staff just sitting there not doing anything (like building foundations)  I met the requirements, there's nothing blocking their path, but they just sit there.  I think I might have to wait a while before getting back to it, because I've already wasted 15 hours since Thursday night, and I have nothing to show for it.  And yes I know it's alpha... 
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 12:14:52 AM »

There are a couple things that you may not know. 

First, if your prison is already open then you need guards to open locked doors so your workers can get in and out.  You can also manually set the doors to stay open but this means that prisoners can escape through them.

The second thing is donít build walls until a room is complete.  If you do the game will often give priority to them, which means that the room will never finish.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »

Quote from: naednek on September 01, 2013, 11:45:02 PM

Man this game is fun... when it works.  But I've had to start over at least several times due to my staff just sitting there not doing anything (like building foundations)  I met the requirements, there's nothing blocking their path, but they just sit there.  I think I might have to wait a while before getting back to it, because I've already wasted 15 hours since Thursday night, and I have nothing to show for it.  And yes I know it's alpha... 

Building foundations won't complete unless you provide a door to the structure. Another suggestion is that when you start adding utilities, don't queue everything up at once. Do the electrical in one pass, then the water pipes.

I have about 37 hours in Alpha 12 and 13 and it's rare that any staff stop working. You can do a search on YouTube, there are a lot of videos showing how folks built their prisons.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 02:41:24 AM »

This is another in my rotation. Steam says a whopping 150hrs.

Not so sure yet how crazy I am about this release. Still need to spend a few more hours with it, but overall love where the game is going so far.

As with anything I want MORE and FASTER. I doubt any developer will ever keep up with my desire on that front.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:48:31 AM by Rip » Logged
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 02:48:01 AM »

While we are throwing out tips.

Capacitors must be in a square next to a pow gen. Even the corner, so always leave a buffer around them.

CCCCC
CGGGC
CGGGC
CGGGC
CCCCC

For a total of sixteen capacitors Also when running two pow gen keep them isolated, if they cross you will drop both grids and they will not restart.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »

naednek, turns out the problem isn't you, it's Alpha 13 icon_biggrin. Chris just released this message about how alpha 13 badly broken path-finding. Apparently because I brought over a prison from Alpha 12 I didn't have any of these issues. A new hotfix, alpha 13b was released this morning. Start a new prison and see how that works for you.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 12:15:12 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 02, 2013, 05:27:47 PM

naednek, turns out the problem isn't you, it's Alpha 13 icon_biggrin. Chris just released this message about how alpha 13 badly broken path-finding. Apparently because I brought over a prison from Alpha 12 I didn't have any of these issues. A new hotfix, alpha 13b was released this morning. Start a new prison and see how that works for you.

ya I saw that at OO.  (It's a shame we lost a month of posts there, I was looking forward to catching up frown  _ 

I was hoping I didn't have to start over
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »

definetely an improvement!  Thanks for the heads up on restarting.  Played till 12:30am last night.  I'm a zombie today
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

Alpha 17 is out, here's the video.

= Armed guards
    You can now hire armed guards to patrol your prison, intimidate your inmates, and put down trouble
    You must research the Armoury first, and your armoury requires a weapons rack and one locker per armed guard on site
    Armed guards have a strong "Supression" effect on all prisoners near them, making the prisoners less likely to misbehave
    They can be instructed to follow a patrol from the Deployment screen
    They will only use lethal force if you give them permission - by clicking the "Weapons Free" emergency button
    They will always shout a warning first, unless a Prisoner is attacking a member of staff (guard, armed guard, administrator etc)
    They will also shoot on site any prisoner who is about to escape, without shouting a warning, so long as they have "Weapons Free"
    Note: Armed guards who genuinely fear for their lives may still shoot, even if you have not given them permission via "Weapons Free"
    Note: The Armoury must be very secure. Your most dangerous prisoners will attempt to raid it during a riot or mass escape event

= New Forestry zone
    Automates the process of growing trees for the purposes of felling them and using the wood
    Saplings will be planted automatically by Gardeners
    Fully grown trees will be felled, and the logs taken to Storage or your Workshop if you have one
    Trees now take much longer to grow to full size : 5 game-days on average
    Trees no longer scale up as they grow.  Instead there are three discreet sizes : Sapling, Young, and Old.
    You can no longer remove tree stumps. These will vanish over time after a tree has been felled.
    Note: The forestry will spend your money by ordering tree saplings automatically. Be sure you have enough

= Objects toolbar filtering
    The objects list was becoming too long to manage, and no longer fitted on a single screen
    A new filtering method hides any "room specific" objects unless you are looking at that type of room
    Eg the Cooker, Fridge and Sink will only appear in the list if you are looking at a Kitchen
    Note: You can press the + button to show the full objects list at any time

= Modding continued
    - materials.txt is now additively loaded
    - The mod loading screen now looks better and displays the mod name, author, screenshot and description during load
    - Added a "Find more mods (Steam Workshop)" button that opens the steam workshop
    - Renamed "Steam Workshop" to "Prison Sharing", and made it list prisons only (not mods)
    - Made Prison Sharing sort prisons by subscribed time (newest subscribed prisons at the top of the list)
    - Fixed manifest.txt files from being corrupted due to newline breaks in Steam file description. May require people to redownload the mod.

- You will now be asked "Are you sure" when purchasing neighbour plots of land (to prevent expensive mis-clicks)

- The Main Menu screens now scale correctly to high resolution / high DPI screens (eg Retina Mac at 2560x1600)

- Guards now target the nearest misbehaving prisoner during fights, rather than choosing one randomly from those in range

- When prisoners urinate or soil their suits (Bowel/Bladder need maxed out) there is now a corrisponding particle effect

- Fixed : Selling finished license plates or wood manually generated only half the correct sale price

- Fixed : Subscribing and unsubscribing to your own mod in Steam Workshop will no longer delete your mod from your hard drive

- Fixed : The scrollbar in the Staff and Prisoner list screens now works correctly

- Fixed : Prisoners can no longer tunnel under lakes

- Fixed : The contraband window sometimes massively overestimated the supply of contraband

- Fixed some subtle bugs in the Misconduct System, whereby misconduct attributed to prisoners who had long since left was still recorded

- Fixed : Sectorisation of the world could fail if you had a lake covering the top right of the map (All sectors marked as NO ACCESS)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: