http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:31:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince of Persia Classic: Anyone Get it?  (Read 1522 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »

So far reviews are middlin as two European sites gave it a 68 and 70 respectively. IGN, king of inflation, has given it an 86.

So I'm waiting for word from you clowns or some site whose opinion I actually trust.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 05:34:59 PM »

Was considering it, but $10 is pretty steep for something that I'll probably spend a couple hours with at the most.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 13, 2007, 05:34:59 PM

Was considering it, but $10 is pretty steep for something that I'll probably spend a couple hours with at the most.

Yeah, $10 for what is almost by definition a one hour game is a bit rough, but nostalgia reigns supreme on this one.  Unless I hear reports of control issues (one of those euro-reviews mentioned you can't use the d-pad for the game) it's just a question of when I tire out from Forza enough to want a diversion.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 05:44:31 PM »

Can't bring myself to get it since I've got it unlocked on my copy of Sands of Time. 

That, and I really suck at the original.  This is strange because I finished both original Oddworlds and Flashback.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 05:50:41 PM »

Ooo, they need a redux of Out Of this World.

[/derail]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 06:01:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 13, 2007, 05:50:41 PM

Ooo, they need a redux of Out Of this World.

[/derail]

They have a version with updated visuals on the PC, for a whole dollar less than PoP Classic!

[rerail]
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 06:04:26 PM »

Yeah 10 bones is a bit much.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »

I picked it up, finished it my first go around in 1:30

Fantastic visuals, tight controls, felt just like PoP.

Recommended, even at 10 bucks.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »

I was gonna say once, but anti-biotics took care of everything.

I think a friend of mine had this on his Amiga...is that the right game?

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »

Well I couldn't resist and remember you can always make more money.

I bought it at lunch and got to play for about 20 minutes.

The gameplay graphics are really nice and the prince animates well.  The cutscenes were ok but I think they could have been better. Also there is no sound during them. 

The controls are pretty good and responsive.  I didn't make too many mistakes.  It does do little things that are nice.  If you are a little under a ledge he will backup a little before jumping so he will grab the ledge instead of just jumping up and doing nothing.  The swordplay is nice and has a nice matrix effect when you parry an attack.  Also if your swords meet you have to button press x to win the battle and there are different animations when you land the killing blow on your enemy.

The sound is where I am a little disappointed.  Maybe just a childhood memory but when you were sliced by the blades, punctured by the spikes, or flattened by  the dungeon floor, the sound effects were gruesome.  They just don't have the punch in this version.  I am going to play the original to the original to check.

Overall it is a good purchase for me $10 is a little steep but to relive a childhood memory, I actually beat this game as a kid, it does fine. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 06:55:25 PM »

I downloaded the original on Gametap, does that count?  icon_confused
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 07:19:10 PM »

Ah, good old PoP...reminds me of a remake that was made (graphically speaking) of Out of this World. Lovely thing.

But, am I the only one around here that -adores- the SuperNes remake?, with up to 20 levels (and an extra hour, of course slywink), new enemies, bosses and such? biggrin

Great times. Mind you, the computer version doth kick ass too (oh, just downloaed it from Live, bwah!).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:15:08 PM by MrDuck » Logged

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »

60 minutes, actually....

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 12:34:04 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 13, 2007, 06:55:25 PM

the original is on gametap?  I must have missed it.  I'll guess I'll be passing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »

I wish they did PoP 2 instead.  I liked that a lot more and it had really good graphics at the time.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2007, 12:34:04 AM

Quote from: kronovan on June 13, 2007, 06:55:25 PM

the original is on gametap?  I must have missed it.  I'll guess I'll be passing.

hey, lookie that, there's the whole DOS section with PoP 1 & 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »

I played the demo, and so far the controls are much more responsive than the old DOS version - not nearly as frustrating.  Still not sure whether or not it's worth $10.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 05:56:15 PM »

Quote from: shon on June 13, 2007, 06:55:16 PM

Well I couldn't resist and remember you can always make more money.

I bought it at lunch and got to play for about 20 minutes.

The gameplay graphics are really nice and the prince animates well.  The cutscenes were ok but I think they could have been better. Also there is no sound during them. 

I'd like to point out that there was no sound for the original cutscenes as well.  I was impressed by the update to the game, and enjoyed playing the first level.  I was surprised what I remembered about the game.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »

Played the demo last night. While the visual facelift is great there just isn't enough there to warrant a purchase. I played the original to death and am done with it. I'm glad to see the release though and hope to see a similar treatment for various games of that era. There are plenty of viable candidates to be remade and enjoyed by an all new generation (in addition to nostalgia fiends like myself).

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 06:54:40 PM »

It would be nice if it was PoP classic and PoP Shadow and the Flame together.

1hr gametime != 10USD otherwise

10hr FPS = 100USD  saywhat

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 07:06:53 PM »

Unless you are incredibly awesome at the game it isn't exactly one hour of game time since that doesn't factor in restarts. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on June 13, 2007, 08:45:01 PM

60 minutes, actually....

Quote from: madpeon on June 13, 2007, 06:26:25 PM

I picked it up, finished it my first go around in 1:30

Fantastic visuals, tight controls, felt just like PoP.

Recommended, even at 10 bucks.

Let's give it 2 hours. 2. There is not multiplay (that I've seen posted). I dunno man. I'm not speaking from experience on this (as I never got a chance to try it last night) and I may be in here later munchin' on crow, but it's a pretty steep price. I spent a ton of time of SoTN and it was a much longer game with different replay modes.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »

for those that have played and beat this already, do most of the achievements come during a play through?  i saw that a few are based on skill, but their were a few which made little sense, like the one about joining the light and dark prince together.  not sure i remember that part

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 07:47:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 14, 2007, 07:12:16 PM

[Let's give it 2 hours. 2. There is not multiplay (that I've seen posted). I dunno man. I'm not speaking from experience on this (as I never got a chance to try it last night) and I may be in here later munchin' on crow, but it's a pretty steep price. I spent a ton of time of SoTN and it was a much longer game with different replay modes.

Value propositions are always tough- Riddick and it's 8 hours of gameplay cost me the same as Final Fantasy XII and it's 75 hours but I don't regret either purchase. 

I'm not really advocating for PoP specifically- I've only made it through 3 levels so I'm not really sure how much I'll like it or if I'll regret it.  I just don't agree with the "it's only 60 minutes" comments.  That's like saying that Super Metroid is only an hour because you can speed run it in that time.  60 minutes is the time conceit that the game imposes on the story but since the game itself is actually pretty difficult, I expect that the average player is going to spend quite a bit more time with it than that. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 08:37:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 14, 2007, 07:47:05 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 14, 2007, 07:12:16 PM

[Let's give it 2 hours. 2. There is not multiplay (that I've seen posted). I dunno man. I'm not speaking from experience on this (as I never got a chance to try it last night) and I may be in here later munchin' on crow, but it's a pretty steep price. I spent a ton of time of SoTN and it was a much longer game with different replay modes.

Value propositions are always tough- Riddick and it's 8 hours of gameplay cost me the same as Final Fantasy XII and it's 75 hours but I don't regret either purchase. 

I'm not really advocating for PoP specifically- I've only made it through 3 levels so I'm not really sure how much I'll like it or if I'll regret it.  I just don't agree with the "it's only 60 minutes" comments.  That's like saying that Super Metroid is only an hour because you can speed run it in that time.  60 minutes is the time conceit that the game imposes on the story but since the game itself is actually pretty difficult, I expect that the average player is going to spend quite a bit more time with it than that. 

Absolutely!  Even having played the game before the easy 1st level easily took me twenty minutes of getting used to the controls, exploring, looking for the life power-up and restarting.  On top of that, there are two other modes to play through if you're so damn good at the regular mode.  Time Attack and Survival at least give you other things to do.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 10:22:31 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 14, 2007, 07:15:14 PM

for those that have played and beat this already, do most of the achievements come during a play through?  i saw that a few are based on skill, but their were a few which made little sense, like the one about joining the light and dark prince together.  not sure i remember that part

While I haven't seen the achievement list (nor do I own the game), I do know that that achievement you accomplish over the course of the game. Or at least you did on the original title.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: