http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:08:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prey demo is out...  (Read 4355 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:51:20 AM »

And I highly suggest getting it.  All the usual demo download sites should have it.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:07:16 AM »

If people are still having difficulty getting it tomorrow, let me know.  I'll make private download arrangements for our readers.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:10:57 AM »

That was one sweet demo!  Cool  
My aging PC handled it fairly well, but I'll get it for the 360 over the PC for better performance.  I loved the whole opening sequence with the jukebox music playing in the background.  So cool...

I am so getting this when it comes out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:47:41 PM »

I changed the jukebox to Cat Scratch Fever hehe. I loved how it switched to Blue Oyster Cult when the aliensarrived.

I enjoyed the demo a lot. I know it will be a hit. It sure looked ..well..not bad bad but not too good on my old trusty ti4200 vid card. It was medium 640x480 lol.

Loved it anyways. I like the voice cast too and how the Tommy one cusses and gets freaked smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 01:06:30 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
If people are still having difficulty getting it tomorrow, let me know.  I'll make private download arrangements for our readers.

That would be a good thing, sir. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »

Yeah it's a pretty great demo, it's convinced me. A day 1 purchase for me.

Ascendent
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 02:40:57 PM »

Ditto.  Anyone who balks at the large size of the download should realize that this demo is surprisingly long and does a fantastic job of demonstrating what makes Prey such a unique game.  This game wasn't even on my radar until eveyone started making such a hooplah about the forthcoming demo, and now that I've played it for myself, I'll be putting in a pre-order for the full version.

-Autistic Angel
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »

I'll download this later tongiht. I cannot wait.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 05:48:42 PM »

7 hours from Gamepot!!!! Screw that!  No demo is worth that.  I will wait for the game.  I trust everyone's assessment that it is good.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 06:34:10 PM »

I'm uploading it to the server.  Any reader who posts in this thread who needs the link will get it as soon as it is available.  As long as the link remains just for our readers, I'll leave it up for you for a few days.  Why?  Because you guys rock.  Cool

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 06:42:36 PM »

I was getting a decent connection at gamershell, 100kb/s

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 06:51:42 PM »

Looking forward to download it on GT's server   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »

Count me as a meh. I'll admit I'm just not as much into the DOOM 3 engine as others. I think something like Source just appeals more to me. As soon as the trip up to the alien ship happened I started to feel like I was running around in Quake 4 again. I mean can't they think of something besides the whole overused machine/organic look? The art direction looks almost exactly the same. Also the whole Gordon Freeman wrench thing at the beginning was kinda lame. I'll admit I liked some of the wall walking topsy, turvy stuff they have going on but its not enough for me to drop $50 day one on it.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 07:00:09 PM »

how does the walking on walls and such work? i really didnt care too much about this game until i heard it was possible to do this - it would make multiplayer... interesting

so, can you even do it in multiplayer? can you do it any time? whats the deal? (im posting this here, but if i were to get it it would be the 360 version)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 07:49:30 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
how does the walking on walls and such work? i really didnt care too much about this game until i heard it was possible to do this - it would make multiplayer... interesting

so, can you even do it in multiplayer? can you do it any time? whats the deal? (im posting this here, but if i were to get it it would be the 360 version)

There are specific areas where you can walk on a lit path that allows you to move around on the ceilings and such.  It can be done in multiplayer and it certainly changes things a bit.  When you are engaging enemies that are 90 degrees off from your perspective, it is just strange. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 07:53:47 PM »

Hey KD, count me in on the wanting to download it later today crowd. Thanks.

LiveTAG: happydog
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 08:28:14 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Count me as a meh. I'll admit I'm just not as much into the DOOM 3 engine as others. I think something like Source just appeals more to me. As soon as the trip up to the alien ship happened I started to feel like I was running around in Quake 4 again. I mean can't they think of something besides the whole overused machine/organic look? The art direction looks almost exactly the same. Also the whole Gordon Freeman wrench thing at the beginning was kinda lame. I'll admit I liked some of the wall walking topsy, turvy stuff they have going on but its not enough for me to drop $50 day one on it.

I definitely understand where you're coming from.  The art of Prey, while very well rendered, it still looks like generic alien industrial organic technology that they've been aping from Alien/Giger since it came out.

However, it's not the fault of the Doom 3 engine.  Some mappers actually took Half-Life 2 artwork (textures and some models) ported them into the Quake 3 engine, and made some really good looking levels from them.

So, it's probably more that Valve is just an artistic powerhouse when it comes to artistic design within technical constraints (because let's face it the Source engine isn't as powerful as they make it out to be).  Their art style tells a story, from the dystopian eastern european city, to the cold and otherworldly architecture of the combine.

With Prey, and many other Doom engine games it seems, it looks as much like a technical showcase as artistic expression.  With the art still focusing on cool effects.  Not a bad way to go, but being a story guy, I like the other approach.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 08:36:32 PM »

Thanks KD.  I appreciate you putting up a link for us.   I know when I get home tonight from work it will be primetime and getting the dl will suck elsewhere.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 09:07:37 PM »

I've PM'ed everyone who asked for a link.  Sound off if you were left out of the list. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 09:12:41 PM »

I love how Art Bell is featured in the game.  That is awesome!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 09:22:39 PM »

I was going to wait for my new PC to get here (hopefully next week), but I may give it a shot on the old one for now.  Wasn't terribly interested before, but this thread has piqued my interest.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 09:33:07 PM »

+1 for the linky-link.

TYVM!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 10:02:18 PM »

My pleasure. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 12:32:27 AM »

need linky too KD

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 12:40:18 AM »

Thanks again for the link.  Very awesome looking game.  Day 1 purchase for me.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 03:59:37 AM »

I'd be appreciative of the link as well, KD. smile

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
siege

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 06:38:04 AM »

Best shooter in a long time. I enjoyed the demo more than HL2, Fear, and Doom 3 combined.

The only complaint I have is that the AI is severely lacking. The Hunters, in most cases, seem to stand in one spot. It's not too huge of a problem for me, because the game thrives off of it's atmosphere and innovative gameplay mechanics, but I'm hoping there is a bit more challenge in the full version.

Glad to see some personality injected into the protagonist and story this time around. Shooters have been lacking in this regard for too long.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 09:24:02 PM »

OK, I'll bite. Link Please?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »

Damn thing has crashed my PC twice this afternoon. I'm going out for the night and will run Diskeeper in the meantime. I love how involving it is right from the start though.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 11:58:49 PM »

Someone on OO posted it crashed them. I have'nt had a single problem. It might be because my old vid card wont let me turn on a lot of the stuff though haha.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2006, 07:40:14 AM »

I've played through it twice with no crashing at all.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »

Oh Lord, that opening sequence made me dizzy.  I had to stop playing and I was still spinning in bed.  Games don't usually do that to me.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 04:28:47 PM »

Goddamn game has now crashed my system many, many times. It seems like I can go longer between hard locks the more special things I turn off in the graphics menu which is odd. I will however want an answer to this question:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Later in the demo after you have the spirit bow you come across a drone standing in front of an alien fingerprint pad. Talon sits on the pad so it strikes me like you have to have the drone use his hand on the pad. How do you get past this?

Also, did any one else hear the caller on the talk radio show? "Hi, this is George from Garland." :lol:

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Goddamn game has now crashed my system many, many times. It seems like I can go longer between hard locks the more special things I turn off in the graphics menu which is odd. I will however want an answer to this question:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Later in the demo after you have the spirit bow you come across a drone standing in front of an alien fingerprint pad. Talon sits on the pad so it strikes me like you have to have the drone use his hand on the pad. How do you get past this?

Also, did any one else hear the caller on the talk radio show? "Hi, this is George from Garland." :lol:

I beat the demo.  Here is how you get through that area wbs.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Look around for three glowing lights.  You can shoot them and invert the room

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »

I need a link as well, if you're around today smile

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2006, 06:46:47 PM »

In case I have'nt been clear.... I LOVE THE PREY DEMO! smile

Looks like the best shooter in years. I wish it looked better but I cant really do anything about it on this card.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006, 12:19:23 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

GeorgeB posted that his was actually him smile

Other nice touches - all of the 'humans' on the conveyor belts/machines are actually Human Head employees.

The licensed music is a great touch as well!  When you visit the bar the second time, try going to the bar and selecting 'Don't Fear the Reaper' and listen what happens smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2006, 05:35:57 AM »

Played it through for the 3rd time today and just realised the part where you teleport onto a little rock and see a giant....that thats the same little rock you see under glass before teleporting onto it and becoming the size of an ant...doh. Reminded me of that multiplayer lvl in Elite Force 2. Before I kept thinking that thing under glass was some type of weapon I just did'nt know how to get too. So today I stopped to really study it and thats when I discovered its actually where you teleport to lol.

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 09:04:46 PM »

I got around to installing the demo last night...I was up well past 2am playing the damn thing smile

I'm not much of a FPS player but I enjoyed this one. The health replenishers and ammo packs are frequent enough not to be annoying and the aliens are just right in difficulty.

So as I'm playing I get the feeling there is some kind of rebel humanoid on the ship trying to sabatoge it? You see him blow up something that frees you and then I kept hearing someone say, "this way" or something to that effect as I wandered around.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 09:25:17 PM »

There's a whole organization of them from what I've seen.  They guy who says, "This way!" gets killed by those weird two legged slimey creatures, so there's definitely more than one.

Obviously these guys were once human, but share some of the same implants as the human drones in the demo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: