http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:51:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preview Discussion: Spider-Man 2  (Read 2809 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2004, 03:02:17 PM »

As clearly posted on the main page, I've put up a indepth preview of Spider-Man 2 for all three consoles.

Any questions or comments while my playtime is still fresh on my mind? Ask away.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 06:17:52 PM »

Does anyone know what the deal is with the console version vs. the PC version?  A demo was released for the PC which sounds completly unlike what is described in the console preview.  I also seem to remember that two different companies are making the different versions.  So what is going on?

Now as to the specifics of the preview - how is the main story?  Does it just basically re-do the movie?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 06:25:34 PM »

The PC version is different than the console versions, simple as that.  Activision confirmed that the PC version is for younger aged people than the console version.  So, basically, the only way you'll get the GTA3 like gameplay is if you get it on the consoles.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 06:30:15 PM »

Sweet! Let the PC gamers get a dumbed down version of a game for once  :twisted:
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 06:43:59 PM »

I'm beyond puzzled over why it was decided that the PC version would be, well, whatever the hell it'll be. What exactly is the logic behind that? Blergh.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 07:57:58 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
The PC version is different than the console versions, simple as that.  Activision confirmed that the PC version is for younger aged people than the console version.  So, basically, the only way you'll get the GTA3 like gameplay is if you get it on the consoles.

LOL!  So GTA3 like gameplay is for the younger aged people...smile  

It is nice to have a clear choice though.  Not much chance of my getting the PC version.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 08:06:55 PM »

farley, did you perhaps read that wrong?  I am trying to make sense of it, but I feel dizzy. :shock:

I look forward to it.  I never played the first, but I like the idea of a free-roaming type game.  Since I am easily frustrated it should hold my interest longer.

My question is just who will I be fighting?  Will it be faceless thugs until I reach the inevitable Doctor Octopus showdown?

And how was the first Spider Man game?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 08:09:57 PM »

I played it today rather briefly.  It is awesome.  I love that it's really New York City.  I spent quite a while flying around siteseeing smile  It is wicked fun to go jumping off the Empire State Building.  Plus latching onto helicopters for rides just rules.  

Didn't play for more then about fifteen minutes so no in-depth perceptions to share but just wanted to chime in and say the game is a lot of fun.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 08:10:42 PM »

Yeah, I'm trying to make sense of the confusion as well.

You not only fight Doctor Octopus, but also other Spider-Man villians.  Basically the main storyline is like the movie, but just like the GTA3/Vice City you can go off and do whatever you want and do side missions (that also include other Spidey foes).  I know that the Black Cat also makes an appearance in the game and I have heard that the Human Torch might be in it as well, so the Spidey friends are around too.

I liked the first game based on the movie.  The only problems were that the swinging was ok (you basically fired off the web and grabbed onto something in the nothiness), whereas with this one you have to have something solid around you to latch onto (including helicopters).  The fighting was a bit close-quartered as well, although you got used to it.

I've been waiting for this game for a while...can't wait till next Tuesday.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 08:20:18 PM »

Thanks, AgtFox.  That was what I really wanted to hear.  Between the villains and the fact the web swinging isn't broken (my big fear) I don't see any reason not to pick this one up now.  I enjoyed driving cars around Vice City so I figure I will probably enjoy swinging from skyscrapers in NYC.  See you on the rooftops!

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 08:24:15 PM »

Oh yes, unlike the first game you can actually drop to the street.  As some of my co-workers that played it in its early form at E3 2003, you could jump off a building and just before you hit the ground you fire off a web and you're off.  It seems to me like Treyarch has re-produced exactly what you would want to do if you were Spidey with this game.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 10:41:12 PM »

I'm absolutely dying to play this game. I've culled several crap games from my library and may just take those into EBX on my lunch break next week to pick it up. smile I got to play it E3 of last year, and I was one of the ones that leaped off the top of the Empire's antennae and swung away at the last second. Considering how long it took to actually get near the ground, I damn near went into shock. The game looks like it will just plain rule the earth, and I can't wait. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 12:13:09 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Now as to the specifics of the preview - how is the main story?  Does it just basically re-do the movie?

The game does follow the movie (to a point), but the developers realized that they needed more villians than just Doc Oc to beat up. So, the Shocker will make a return, and Rhino shows up for a boss appearance. Black Kat is in there as well, but she's more of a teammate (or just somebody to talk to) than anything else.

Whiteboyskim - yes, freefalling from the Empire State Building is an amazing experience. Especially how Spider-Man does this wonderful swan dive from up there. And then it's a good 15-20 seconds before you splat onto the ground. Yes, you will die from a high enough fall. The developers clearly showed that aspect. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 01:42:50 AM »

How about flying through really tight spaces? My favorite shot from the previews is that first split second shot of Spider-Man flying between the cab and the trailer of a big rig while chasing some villains. That one shot guarantees I'll be in the theater next week. biggrin

Another big thing I want to do is slingshot around buildings. How does the manual (i.e. two webslingers) handle versus just the one webslinger with automatic?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 01:47:11 AM »

From my understanding of reading previews, Spidey is unfortunately not able to latch onto cars with his webbing, so a tight space automobile move doesn't look too likely.  I could be wrong though, it's just what I read.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 04:15:09 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Another big thing I want to do is slingshot around buildings. How does the manual (i.e. two webslingers) handle versus just the one webslinger with automatic?

As I said in my preview, the manual mode allows two webs at once. The only real advantage is being able to slingshot yourself around the map. That and a bit tighter control when swinging around.

And while the physics are realistic to a point, there are some liberities taken. For example - if you hook onto a side of a building (near a corner), you can swing around the side of the building, even though your web would clearly have hit the side of the building and wrapped around it before you got halfway around.

In short - the two control modes handle almost the same, and you can slingshot around buildings with little issue at all. Just a few minute learning curve to start.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 05:15:35 AM »

don't forget to preorder it here...

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?product_code=313768&pfp=srch1&N=0&Ntt=spider-man%202&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=spider-man%202

and while you are at it, preorder Halo 2
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313768&pfp=srch1
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 07:09:48 PM »

Naednek - Holy shit! While I can perfectly understand the price of Spider-Man 2 (its release date and nothing more), Halo 2 seems a bit...cheap.

I wonder if they'll honor that price. smile

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 07:15:07 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Naednek - Holy shit! While I can perfectly understand the price of Spider-Man 2 (its release date and nothing more)

You can understand that Spider Man 2 is going for $629.04?  :shock:  Is that by the case?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 07:17:51 PM »

I think he means $629.04 is the date the game is on shelves (6-29-04).  CompUSA just screwed it up obviously.  I wonder if Halo 2's price is just a down payment (even though that isn't noted obviously).

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 07:22:55 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I think he means $629.04 is the date the game is on shelves (6-29-04).

Ah, I didn't notice that.  Keen eye & sharp mind.  Total opposite of myself. :oops:

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 03:00:22 PM »

Anyone catch the "making the game" show on MTV about Spiderman 2.  Lots of good interviews with the development team, tha actors, and even Stan Lee.  

It also showed lots of game footage.  I am very excited about the game now.  Only a few more days!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: