http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:55:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prediction - the sixaxis will be redesigned within six months  (Read 1901 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:02:25 PM »

Let me preface this by saying I love everything playstation and love the dual shock, so I am being totally honest here.  I stopped in at EB Games during lunchtime to try out the PS3 (I do love Sony, but not so much that I will join the launch insanity.  I'll probably wind up waiting a year or so to get a PS3 because I have a huge current-gen backlog, plus I'm getting married in May).

I picked up the sixaxis and couldn't believe that this is what Sony has come up with after all this time.  The loss of rumble is unforgivable, but I already knew about that.  What I couldn't believe was the R2 L2 triggers.  They feel like they are going to pop off the controller and like I have heard others say, they are really hard to keep your fingers on.  Did they make them convex just so they were different than the Xbox?  It seems a no brainer to shape a trigger like...a trigger!  If Sony has any brains they will release a rumble-capable version with usable triggers within six months.  Microsoft realized their mistake with the original Xbox, controller, I only wonder if Sony is not too thickheaded, considering all the ridiculous comments they have made recently.  On the other hand, they did add HDMI support to the core version.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:34:41 PM »

"Flying Breakfast Car"

I think it'll become the next "Hit the weak point for maximum damage"
I'm sayin no, they won't rebuild the controller.  Here is the other thought though - without in-game support, no third party controllers will have rumble either...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »

What I don't get is the "Sixaxis" name. It sounds like a sexual disease. Or like a new Axis of Evil that includes three more countries. Anything buy a video game controller.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:18:07 AM »

I liked the triggers fine.  The last thing they need to do is make it more like the Xbox controller  thumbsdown
Sony isn't going to redesign the controller.  It's stayed basically the same ever since the Playstation 1.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 12:35:55 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 17, 2006, 10:34:41 PM

"Flying Breakfast Car"
Haha, what the heck does that mean?

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:36:23 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 18, 2006, 12:18:07 AM

I liked the triggers fine.  The last thing they need to do is make it more like the Xbox controller  thumbsdown
Sony isn't going to redesign the controller.  It's stayed basically the same ever since the Playstation 1.

The 360 controller is the best controller i have ever used.  I hate with a passion the dual shock controllers.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:18:32 AM »

I do like the 360 controllers a lot.  If they had a D-pad that was worth a damn.  Then I would be even happier!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 01:53:58 AM »

While I don't think the lack of rumble is huge (though I did like it), without the rumble the controllers feel so much lighter and less sturdy than the PS2 dual shock. I prefer my controllers heavier.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 03:08:54 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 18, 2006, 12:36:23 AM

Quote from: Canuck on November 18, 2006, 12:18:07 AM

The 360 controller is the best controller i have ever used.  I hate with a passion the dual shock controllers.

I really like the ps2 controllres, but the 360 controller is hands down the best controller ever.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 03:14:49 AM »

I can't believe they didn't at least move the left analog stick into it's proper spot since we are no longer in the days of PS1 and it is the main control used.  Dillholes.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 04:46:35 AM »

I hope some 3rd party releases a copy of the boomerang version of the controller, still curious if something like that would be comfortable.

Plus it would be fun to fight crime with it.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 05:44:23 AM »

The funny thing is that their original "boomerang" style was kind of similar to Microsoft's Sidewinder Freestyle Pro that they released for the PC a number of years back.  And that one actually contained the tilt-sensing stuff (but didn't have dual analog sticks, since that wasn't the norm back then).  The world is a weird, backwards place.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2006, 05:44:23 AM

The funny thing is that their original "boomerang" style was kind of similar to Microsoft's Sidewinder Freestyle Pro that they released for the PC a number of years back.  And that one actually contained the tilt-sensing stuff (but didn't have dual analog sticks, since that wasn't the norm back then).  The world is a weird, backwards place.

Half the shit nintendo is claiming about their motion sensing was also in that Sidewinder controller-I actually pointed this out well over a year ago-I find it very interesting more people didn't catch on to this.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 02:18:12 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 18, 2006, 07:35:00 AM

Half the shit nintendo is claiming about their motion sensing was also in that Sidewinder controller-I actually pointed this out well over a year ago-I find it very interesting more people didn't catch on to this.

Innovation through imitation.  Its all the rage with the kids these days. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2006, 04:46:35 AM

I hope some 3rd party releases a copy of the boomerang version of the controller, still curious if something like that would be comfortable.

Plus it would be fun to fight crime with it.

Same here. I like having a longer extension on the grip to lay across the palm of my hand, so I thought the boomerang controller looked great.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 08:37:52 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 18, 2006, 02:18:12 PM

Quote from: Calvin on November 18, 2006, 07:35:00 AM

Innovation through imitation.  Its all the rage with the kids these days. slywink

Yeah, yeah-my point was that I called them out on it firstishish biggrin
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 09:01:37 PM »

Rumble is not coming back to Sony, at least not for a long time.  For those who don't know the story, a company successfully sued MS and Sony about their rumble technology.  MS settled a few years ago and then bought part of the company.  Sony keeps appealing and getting higher and higher judgements against them.  Sony won't settle because then MS would profit.

Nintendo's rumble tech is apparently different.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 09:11:25 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 18, 2006, 08:37:52 PM

Yeah, yeah-my point was that I called them out on it firstishish biggrin

We'll have to go back through the archives to see about this...  icon_wink

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 01:01:43 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 18, 2006, 09:01:37 PM

Rumble is not coming back to Sony, at least not for a long time.  For those who don't know the story, a company successfully sued MS and Sony about their rumble technology.  MS settled a few years ago and then bought part of the company.  Sony keeps appealing and getting higher and higher judgements against them.  Sony won't settle because then MS would profit.

Nintendo's rumble tech is apparently different.

What does Nintendo do differently with their controllers so that they avoid the lawsuit?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 03:25:19 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 19, 2006, 01:01:43 AM

What does Nintendo do differently with their controllers so that they avoid the lawsuit?

If I remember correctly, the Gamecube (as well as the N64 and I'm assuming the Wii) only use one rumble device for their rumble feature. The Xbox/PS2/360 use two (of slightly different sizes), which is what the patent is for.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 05:58:53 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on November 18, 2006, 12:35:55 AM

"Flying Breakfast Car"

It was in an interview with a Sony PR tool who, in response to complaints about backward-compatabilty problems with the PS3, said, "I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, but that's an unrealistic expectation."

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »

Quote from: adamsappel on November 19, 2006, 05:58:53 AM

"Flying Breakfast Car"

It was in an interview with a Sony PR tool who, in response to complaints about backward-compatabilty problems with the PS3, said, "I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, but that's an unrealistic expectation."

Woops!  Yea, you are right, that is where the flying breakfast car comes from.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 08:17:01 PM »

"Flying Breakfast Car"

I read that and couldn't even begin to believe that Sony lets their PR people spout such incredibly arrogant bullshit.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 08:35:42 PM »

"Flying Breakfast Car"

IIRC the same dude said in that interview that the Wii had no backward compatibility  retard

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 11:57:08 PM »

Again, let me push my agenda of getting "Flying Breakfast Car" into every stupid statement that Sony makes from now on.... slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 02:01:12 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 19, 2006, 11:57:08 PM

Again, let me push my agenda of getting "Flying Breakfast Car" into every stupid statement that Sony makes from now on.... slywink

You do that, Ron, and...well, I don't know what I'll do, but I'll be a very happy GTer.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 04:24:33 AM »

Please do. I want to see it on the front page as much as possible. It has to become a sweet running gag on GT.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 12:53:01 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 20, 2006, 04:24:33 AM

Please do. I want to see it on the front page as much as possible. It has to become a sweet running gag on GT.

I'm sorry, but the cast of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang just called. They'd like their car back. Toot sweet.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 02:24:46 PM »

I used to like the Dualshock. The s-controller for the Xbox then ruined it for me, and the 360 controller absolutely perfected the things the s-controller made an attempt at.

There was a time when the Dualshock (call it the sixaxis if you want.. it's the same damn thing) was satisfactory. It isn't anymore.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 07:06:26 PM »

I wonder if dildo companies get sued for using rumble pack as well?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 07:47:44 AM »

Well it took longer than 6 months but Sony did put rumble back in the controller! No redesign though.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 10:34:18 PM »

holy threadzerrection batman!

yeah, i wouldn't call adding a motor a redesign either, but it helps with two of my problems with the original.  no rumble and no weight.

i still think that the best option for those of us no longer honeymooning with a 9? year old design is the ps360 controller mod by benheck. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »

That or the rumored transformable PS3 controller that a patent and FCC report hinted at.

Even now, I still say I would have given the boomerang controller a fair shot.

Unfortunately, Benheck isn't making those mods anymore due to time and lower profit margin.

Someone could make a killing releasing some kind of snap op DS3 attachment that included a replaceable battery pack, better grips, and those snap on trigger covers that curved the triggers outward instead of inward.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:56:44 PM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: