http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:30:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: predict the launch dates  (Read 1012 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:48:58 PM »

It appears that all three Gen 9 consoles will be on display at this up coming E3. Here is my guess at prices and launch dates:

11-15-05
Xbox 2 at $400 US - US Launch

03-06-06
PS3 at $450 US - Japan Launch

10-27-06
PS3 at $299 US - US Launch
Xbox 2 at $299 US - US price drop

11-21-06
Neo Nintendo $250 US World wide launch

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 09:54:01 PM »

Nintendo has stated that they will launch at the same time as Sony. So I could see them trying their damndest to either beat Sony to market or being there on the same day, eitherway Sony will trounce all over it...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 10:04:23 PM »

I hope Nintendo comes out at the same time as the others.  They're so far behind any way, they really need to do something to maintain.  I hope to god that they have a normal system this time (normal size discs, plays DVD, component out and 5.1, etc.)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 10:30:28 PM »

i realize the ds is selling well, &, because of the novelty/cool factor, the psp probably will too, but these next-gen systems, owing both to their pricetags & the continued popularity of their current versions (all of which are far from 'out-dated' - hell, i work at a children's hospital, & the neses are still as popular as the cubes!), are definitely going to be somewhat app-dependent. i really enjoy gaming, but no way i'm just gonna fork over 400 bucks to simply say i own something - there's gonna have to be at least a couple good reasons (games) first...

as far as your guesstimates for dates/prices, i'd say they sound about right. being first has its advantages & disadvantages, & one disadvantage might be sony choosing to rethink & undercut ms price-wise from the get-go, forcing ms to tick off existing owners by responding in kind... &, as for nintendo, well, i can't help but feel there's always gonna be room for nintendo in households with kids (of all ages? smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 05:22:28 PM »

I don't see the Xbox 2 selling for $400 at launch. I think MS has been aggressively looking for ways to cost cut the new system so they can hit a $300-$349 price tag.

$400 will stop alot of people from purchasing the system early, and thus negate much of the reasoning behind a 2005 launch.

My estimate:

Late November launch
$299
DVD sampler of HALO 3 and a few other games
you'll also need to buy a flash memory stick.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 06:05:47 PM »

Estimate:  

XBox 2:  November 9-11, 2005 in US, March 2006 in Japan, April 2006 in Europe
$299.
One launch title, probably as a Christmas Package.
Look for XBox to drop to $99 about the same time.

Playstation 3:  March 2006 launch in Japan.  September 2006 launch in US.  December 2006 - January 2007 in Europe.
$299.
No pack-in at all.
Look for PS2 to drop to $99 sometime between November 2005 and March 2006.
Look for XBox2 to drop to $249 pre-E3 2006.

Nintendo Revolution:  March 2006 launch in Japan, June 2006 launch in USA.  Europe launch undetermined.
$299
Again, no pack-in title.
Gamecube drops to $79 December 2005, perhaps to $49 E3 2006.

Pack-ins may change if XBox 2 does one, though.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 07:00:50 PM »

I agree with the Xbox 2 not casting $400. I read somewhere (cant remember where) that they may launch below the $300 mark. That would be interesting wouldnt it? Obviously a reumour still, but it would definatly generate sales. And build a large installation base.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 07:48:46 PM »

No console to date has succeeded at a price point above $299.  Period.  From the Atari 2600 through the XBox, nothing as launched successfully in the United States at $300+.

The two major examples of this are the Sega Saturn and the Neo Geo.  Both launched above $300, neither were that successful, with the Saturn remaining a cult favorite today, same with the Neo Geo.

Consoles launch between $199 and $299, Handhelds between $99 and $149.  

Granted, this dosen't preclude someone bucking the trend, but the odds aren't in favor of it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 09:43:14 PM »

While I can't throw out any dates like the rest of you can, I do predict this:

1) The Xbox 2 will launch first, with the Gamecube 2 right behind it. Or the other way around. Either way, both consoles will launch within a month of each other, tops.

2) The Gamecube 2 will be cheaper than the Xbox 2. More than likely by about $50 or so. Nintendo will still somehow make a profit on every machine sold.

3) The PS3 will be the last console to launch, by far (3-6 months after the first two), and will launch at the same price as the Xbox 2.

4) As far as pack-ins go, none of the consoles will have a title with it, except for maybe the Gamecube 2 (but even then, not likely). The companies make too much money on game sales to include a pack-in.

5) All consoles will support DVD movies in some way, shape, or form. Either as a standard or via some remote package (that the Xbox did).

My reasons? The Gamecube 2 MUST come out before the PS3 if they're to have any chance this generation. The PS2 got way too much of a lead for the Gamecube to catch up on, unless Nintendo really, really changes their 'vision' in the eyes of all gamers.

The Xbox 2 will come out ahead of the PS3 for the same reason - they need to be out there first. Early adopters are worth too much. Heck - remember how popular the PS2 was for importers? It was stunning, even though it didn't launch with any must-have titles (IMHO).

We'll see what happens.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 06:22:33 AM »

Here's my predictions: I won't care for a long time to come about the new consoles if the games suck. biggrin Pretty only gets you so far - just look at Cameron Diaz. Find me a man anywhere on Earth who wouldn't jump at the chance to sleep with her, and I'll respond with "Okay, someone who's not starring on 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." Now find me someone that would want to talk to her afterwards. slywink

It's all about the games, and I'm more interested now than ever as to what games come down the pipe for all three systems.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: