http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Precursors released at GamersGate  (Read 1973 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »

I've had my eye on this hybrid space sim/FPS/RPG for years now, and it's finally been released in English at GamersGate for $30.  It seems like a great idea - flying around space, then landing on planets and actually being able to explore them.  Does anyone know how the Russian version was received?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »

I don't remember hearing anything about the Russian version, but I did find the official forums for the game that may shed some light on the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »

i had pretty much figured on this never being released in english so it's a big of a surprise to see it available.  the idea is great but i do wonder how well they pulled it off.  

not ready to take the plunge on it at $30 but i am interested to see how it turned out.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »

some gameplay videos I found:

driving

some flying and stuff

Because I can,
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »

qt3 and Space Sim Central had 2 posts with decent info on them. Looks interesting but I didn't want to order from ebay (looked pirate) or try the russian website. Nice that gg now has it.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »

Where's Giles Habibula? He's the one that loves space sims that transition from space to planet.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on December 25, 2010, 03:06:42 PM

Where's Giles Habibula? He's the one that loves space sims that transition from space to planet.

he should be around once he realizes this is out.  he'll be our guinea pig.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 02:50:53 AM »

I've bene checking out the forums and apparently Precursors got split in two; the game as it stands now ends rather abruptly- you're in a mission then BAM! credits roll.  I couldn't find any word on part 2 other than this bit in the FAQ
25. Is the second part of the game will be released as an expansion of the Precursors universe or it will be a standalone sequel? Concerning a standalone sequel, the main hero will be the same?
Second part will be released as an independent game, conected with Precursors (I) by storyline, game universe
and main characters. The main hero will be the same for both parts. The plotline of the sequel will continue Precursors
story right from the end of the first part. You will see some of already known characters or locations, but main game
action will take place at the brand new areas of the Precursors galaxy. It will be a new story with new questlines and characters, so even
new player will be able to play Precursors (II) without playing the first part.

so that makes me very wary about the game considering we don't know how well the first release did sales wise.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2010, 02:50:53 AM

I've bene checking out the forums and apparently Precursors got split in two; the game as it stands now ends rather abruptly- you're in a mission then BAM! credits roll.  I couldn't find any word on part 2 other than this bit in the FAQ
25. Is the second part of the game will be released as an expansion of the Precursors universe or it will be a standalone sequel? Concerning a standalone sequel, the main hero will be the same?
Second part will be released as an independent game, conected with Precursors (I) by storyline, game universe
and main characters. The main hero will be the same for both parts. The plotline of the sequel will continue Precursors
story right from the end of the first part. You will see some of already known characters or locations, but main game
action will take place at the brand new areas of the Precursors galaxy. It will be a new story with new questlines and characters, so even
new player will be able to play Precursors (II) without playing the first part.

so that makes me very wary about the game considering we don't know how well the first release did sales wise.

I wonder if this means that we're getting half of the original Russian release, or if the Russian release was also two parts.  All of the impressions I've seen at various forums have been positive, and I really like what I've seen in the gameplay videos.  I'm still torn...

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »

drool drool drool drool drool

I've heard great things about the game, but I'm uncertain how the translation turned out. There were a couple fan patches, but I don't know how extensive or professional they were.

From the forums:

"I think worth getting a copy of the game,the game is buggy and unfinished with a number of features which dont work,and it also a bit on the small side as there are only ten system and six planet which you can vist but you wont find anything else like it.The only modern games it can be compared to are smartie pants Universal Combat/Parkan 2 or the GTA games.It also reminds me of the old space RPG game like Sundog or megatraveller in the amount of freedom the player has."

That is from July. Don't know if they made any enhancements since then.

This video makes me want to jump in NOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vtzJ5IjPE&NR=1
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:08:18 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 03:56:05 AM »

Looks good!
Having trouble deciding between Precursors and White Gold. Didn't both of these get released a couple of years ago elsewhere? I could swear I used to spend a lot of time on eBay looking for these in hard copy version...with no luck.
I just bought a new system today too, but haven't got around to setting it up.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on December 27, 2010, 03:56:05 AM

Looks good!
Having trouble deciding between Precursors and White Gold. Didn't both of these get released a couple of years ago elsewhere? I could swear I used to spend a lot of time on eBay looking for these in hard copy version...with no luck.

i do vaguely recall something along those lines too, but afaik, these were only released in english via DL recently.  maybe a english fan-patch perhaps?  or early euro release. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 04:28:43 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 27, 2010, 04:24:44 AM

Quote from: Giles Habibula on December 27, 2010, 03:56:05 AM

Looks good!

i do vaguely recall something along those lines too, but afaik, these were only released in english via DL recently.  maybe a english fan-patch perhaps?  or early euro release. 

yeah, they were both released around Russia only, Precursors in December of 09 and White Gold in October 08.

Because I can,
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 05:36:27 AM »

No Precursors on eBay right now, but there is one copy of Xenus 2: White Gold for $30 plus $5 shipping. Unfortunately, the following quote from the auction leads me to think it's a pirate copy:

This is  RUSSIAN version of the game. This is ver. 1.0 with StarForce protection. You can update to 1.1 and play.

After installation you get Russian version and can patch it to English or German. You will get link to translator patch if need.

This is a game for market of Eastern Europe - game is new and authentic, but it don't have paper manual and dvd-key for online services, NOT SEALED .
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

Rock Paper Shotgun has some impressions here.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »

there's a new unofficial patch out now.

Because I can,
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 06:22:56 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 06, 2011, 11:19:50 AM

Rock Paper Shotgun has some impressions here.

dude, so
IN
especially w/ a patch out now....

1st thing tomorrow... won't stop me from 2w2 but...niiiice.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

Precursors is on sale now for the next couple days over on Gamersgate for $7.50. I am absolutely LOVING it. A sci-fi open world RPG and it really does it for me! The first mission (on a jungle planet) was a bit of a bitch but now that I get the chance to go out and explore the desert world in my dune buggy it's been a lot of fun! I haven't even gotten to fly around in my own space craft yet so it only gets better.  There seem to be a ton of missions and they are all very varied ranging from go there and kill these guys to retrieving so many monster body parts to conducting a drug sting to busting some guy's TV because he won't share with anyone else! lol

Good stuff.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »

I played this last year after the sale dropped price to the same under $10 range.  played the first level and it was ok, nothing revolutionary.  I got to the second area and the game just slogged to a crawl on my system.  couldn't so much as look up without it going to single digits.  now that i have upgraded both the pc and the gpu i hope to give this a shot later and see if it lived up to its potential

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 11:40:20 PM »

dang.  haven't been around or following price drops the last few days due to being so busy during the holidays, I missed this sale. 
Dajjer
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 01:19:35 AM »

Quote from: frost on December 26, 2011, 11:40:20 PM

dang.  haven't been around or following price drops the last few days due to being so busy during the holidays, I missed this sale. 

Unbelieveable - I've been following this game for years waiting for the price to drop - and the moment I have my eyes of the ball - blamo - I miss the sale.
northone
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 23, 2011, 10:51:48 PM

couldn't so much as look up without it going to single digits.  now that i have upgraded both the pc and the gpu i hope to give this a shot later and see if it lived up to its potential

I actually played the entire game recently and here's a tip:

So you already know there are moments where the game slows to a crawl (a restart will fix). That is definitely a bug. Its not the video card. Throwing a more powerful video card at it may help when the drop occurs but the fps should still drop.

However, I tested what appears to fix it. Along with the patches by wesp, he has a readme with an answers to several problems. One is fixing the fps slowdown.

Go to the savegame folder (mine is located in C:\users\public\...) (win7 64) (the .ini's in the program files precursors directory won't work)

Edit videooptions.ini

Change the following to:

SMOOTHFPS=1
LIMITFPS=30

You should install the latest wesp patch as well. It fixes a good amount of stuff.

Precursors patches by wesp:
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/precursors.php

Again, it may or may not work as well as it appeared to work. I didn't figure out the savegame folder ini thing until after I finished the game. In my limited testing, it did work.

Some other notes:

Really all you should do is install the game (gamersgate ver), install wesp patch, download and install the Russian audio pack (part 2 only), SMOOTHFPS=1 & LIMITFPS=30. And you should be good to go.

The game is shorter than "expected" as it was turned into 2 parts during development, if I remember correctly. So its actually part 1. Believe I did sink 20+ hours into it but that was with wasting time looting items and increasing money even at the unexpected end. It was also on the easiest mode.

Its a really awesome game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: