http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:42:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-order stance actually hurt GS/EB sales?  (Read 2231 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:45 PM »

Both GS's in my are are severely understaffed, and there is almost always a 10-15 minute line to check out.  If someone is trading in multiple games or - god forbid - a system, you'll be there forever.   They used to be really good about not hassling people for pre-orders, not hoarding copies of games, and being generally knowledgeable folks.  But when both stores got new managers, they both promptly went to shit.  Some of you may remember my God of War pre-order disc adventure, and that's the type of "service" that is now the norm. 

Trust me Shifty, your store is most certainly the exception rather than the rule.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2007, 08:25:33 PM »

Nothing drives me nuts more than standing in line at Gamestop with someone in front of me who is trading in a console and their entire game collection.  Employees have to make the console works, has all the necessary parts, check a huge stack of games for scratches, get person to fill out all of their personal info, etc.  Just an excruciating wait. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2007, 09:36:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 03, 2007, 08:22:45 PM

Trust me Shifty, your store is most certainly the exception rather than the rule.

As is mine apparently. It's why I continue to shop there.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 03, 2007, 08:11:08 PM

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 03, 2007, 06:21:58 PM

Mark my words. PS3 came very close to doing it this round.

And if they had done it, the PS3 would be in an even worse position than they are now. This will not happen, not this generation, not next, due to the backlash they'd get from retailers and consumers alike.

They should start with the PSP2.  I read something recently where Sony was thinking about download games to the PSP, and how B&M stores would be pissed.  So you know what I say?  Fuck em: make PSP2 a direct-order item, or go with online retailers.  Or make it exclusive to one big retailer... like WalMart (or, at the least, threaten to do so).

[edit]  On topic, I don't have a problem with pre-order nazism at my local Gamestopo, I've just been finding zero reason to even go there.  I would even prefer to buy there over BB: all things being equal, I'll help out the little guy, no problem.  But I can't buy there when they don't even have stuff to buy.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:51:00 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2007, 12:00:04 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 03, 2007, 06:08:47 PM

You guys are unbelievable.  I have never had a bad experience at any Gamestops that I frequented.  I never had anyone in my face telling me to pre-order.  The most I had was "do you want to pre-order anything else" after I picked up my game.  I reply "no thanks" and he/she says "ok".  Nothing more.

As far as Best Buy, Circuit City and Targets go they are horrible for having new games anywhere near release day.  I have tried on several occasions only to have them tell me they sold out and check back next week.  F that.  And if they do have it you better damn well make sure you have at least 20 minutes to spend standing in line because out of the 12 registers only one will be operating at any one time.  Those stores suck to high heaven for buying video games.

And you are not "shackled" to your pre-order.  You can shift it to another game.  I've done this several times when other good deals pop up.  Case in point:  I pre-ordered Mario Party 8 at Gamestop.  Circuit City had it for $10 cheaper.  I bought it there and (star)shifted the pre-order to another game.  No big deal.

Like I said I simply like taking care of things ahead of time.  It's easier that way.  How is this so difficult to understand?

You're absolutely right Starshifter-it's everybody else who's wrong.  Roll Eyes
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2007, 12:02:01 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 03, 2007, 11:47:10 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 03, 2007, 08:11:08 PM

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 03, 2007, 06:21:58 PM

Mark my words. PS3 came very close to doing it this round.

And if they had done it, the PS3 would be in an even worse position than they are now. This will not happen, not this generation, not next, due to the backlash they'd get from retailers and consumers alike.

They should start with the PSP2.  I read something recently where Sony was thinking about download games to the PSP, and how B&M stores would be pissed.  So you know what I say?  Fuck em: make PSP2 a direct-order item, or go with online retailers.  Or make it exclusive to one big retailer... like WalMart (or, at the least, threaten to do so).

[edit]  On topic, I don't have a problem with pre-order nazism at my local Gamestopo, I've just been finding zero reason to even go there.  I would even prefer to buy there over BB: all things being equal, I'll help out the little guy, no problem.   But I can't buy there when they don't even have stuff to buy.

Little guy?  I think you underestimate the power of this conglomerate.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2007, 01:51:17 AM »

I can't read the whole thread right now, but it's darned foolish not to sell to walk-ins.
Maybe I'm skewed because I'm in a great district, but that isn't generally how we do things,
unless something is REALLY tightly allocated, and the big releases usually aren't.

Look, I make an effort to drive reserves so we CAN sell to more walk-ins.
The more reserves we have, the more copies we get, which means I have more extras to sell.

It can have long-lasting consequences when we don't get preorders.
A particular high profile 360 title came out today. We had no preorders.
The number of copies we received is embarrassingly low.
Even if we sell those quickly, they probably aren't going to send a whole bunch.
I may never have more than one or two to sell.
What a shame.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:09:37 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2007, 02:07:14 AM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2007, 06:25:46 PM

My local CC, BB, Wal-Mart, and Target beat the pants off MOST of our Gamestop's around here, but I don't paint with a broad brush and damn ALL Gamestop's, I am sure there are some really good ones out there that have good customer relationships.

Thank you. I REALLY appreciate that.
I've said it before: a store is only as good as it's employees.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
unbreakable
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2007, 05:16:27 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 04, 2007, 12:02:01 AM

Little guy?  I think you underestimate the power of this conglomerate.

Relatively, compared to Best Buy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 05:44:34 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 04, 2007, 02:07:14 AM

Thank you. I REALLY appreciate that.
I've said it before: a store is only as good as it's employees.

+1.  My local EB (now Gamestop) has had the same core employees for at least 4 years and they rock.  I moved out of town for 2 years and was pleasanlty surprised when I cam back to find the same guys there.  Halo 3 was the only pre-order deal they've gotten annoying about, and they're my primary choice for picking up new games.

it's too bad the cute brunette girl moved on though.  they replaced her with some slack jawed yokel  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: