http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:45:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-order stance actually hurt GS/EB sales?  (Read 2229 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2007, 01:20:17 PM »

I was considering picking up the new Zelda DS game today.  There's a new EB a couple blocks from here, but since I know they'll play their ridiculous 'since you didn't pre-order, we won't sell you a copy' game (even if they have extras), I'll just swing by Best Buy or Circuit City on the way home instead.   There have been quite a few occasions when I'd like to impulse buy a game on release week, and I always avoid EB and pick it up somewhere else.

Sseems like if they'd quit being pre-order nazi's, they might get more business on new releases.  Then again, maybe I'm the only one that does this...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 01:30:25 PM »

The preorder nonsense basically steers me away from EB and Gamestop unless I want something used or I just can't find it anywhere else.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »

While I personally feel the same way (I actively avoid them if possible because I don't like being hassled), I believe they have recently been posting record profits. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 02:06:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2007, 01:31:04 PM

While I personally feel the same way (I actively avoid them if possible because I don't like being hassled), I believe they have recently been posting record profits. 

Yeah, I too hate the preorder manhandling, but I'd guess that there's far more general public people that they hook with it than there are hardcore gamers like us who care.  If they can push the $2 game undercoating (the extra wear & tear warranty thing) on as many people as I've seen just from standing in line, I'm thinking they're doing well enough on the preordery.

I personally don't boycott stores for the preorder stuff.  The only EB I boycott is the one where the manager was an ass to me and lied through his teeth when I had my DS Lite pixel problem.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:16:21 PM »

I shop at Target enough that I'm inclined to pick up most of my purchases there.  I never preorder and haven't had a problem getting a game on release or within a couple of days (I rarely shop for a game on day 1 anyway).

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 03, 2007, 02:06:38 PM

I personally don't boycott stores for the preorder stuff.  The only EB I boycott is the one where the manager was an ass to me and lied through his teeth when I had my DS Lite pixel problem.

I'm not really boycotting them.  I just know they won't sell me a copy if I haven't pre-ordered, so I shop elsewhere for games on release week.

I'm really not even opposed to pre-orders and do them from time to time (mainly on niche titles).  It's their stance of "absolutely no sale unless you pre-order" that irritates me and causes me not to shop there for impulse buys.  Why not just order a few extra copies and quit being dicks about it?

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »

I pre-order all the time.  I do it out of convenience.  I like paying for a game (in full) well before its release.  This way on release day I just walk in and walk out with my game.  It's all about convenience.  Also since I paid it off early it "feels" like I'm walking in later on and getting the game for free!  icon_lol  I currently have Half Life Orange Box (X360), Tony Hawk Proving Ground (X360), Tomb Raider Anniversary (X360), Guitar Hero III (X360) and Virtua Fighter 5 (X360) all pre-ordered and fully paid off.  And that's just October.  Later this month I'll pre-order and pay off ahead of time Call of Duty 4 (X360), Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), Godzilla Unleashed (Wii), Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Wii), Mass Effect (X360) and Rock Band (X360) for November!  icon_eek

I never have a problem with Gamestop.  I actually hate going into the Best Buys & Circuit City's & Targets etc. to buy games.  Checkout lines are excruciatingly long.  I have not bought a game at one of these stores in years.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 03, 2007, 02:37:58 PM

I pre-order all the time.  I do it out of convenience.  I like paying for a game (in full) well before its release.  This way on release day I just walk in and walk out with my game.  It's all about convenience.

This makes zero sense to me.  The time taken is the same amount, just shifted.  Plus it actually takes longer to preorder since you have to give them your personal information. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »

I pre-order all the time.  I do it out of convenience.  I like paying for a game (in full) well before its release.  This way on release day I just walk in and walk out with my game.  It's all about convenience.  Also since I paid it off early it "feels" like I'm walking in later on and getting the game for free!  icon_lol 
And in the process, you're giving them an interest-free loan.  It's win-win! slywink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 03, 2007, 02:40:32 PM

I pre-order all the time.  I do it out of convenience.  I like paying for a game (in full) well before its release.  This way on release day I just walk in and walk out with my game.  It's all about convenience.  Also since I paid it off early it "feels" like I'm walking in later on and getting the game for free!  icon_lol 
And in the process, you're giving them an interest-free loan.  It's win-win! slywink

I wouldn't say it's any more convenient, but I'll occasionally pay pre-orders in full if I have the money right then.   That way I'm not tempted to spend it on something else before the game comes out.

I got a work bonus last week and used it to pre-order GH3, Rock Band, Mass Effect, and FF Tactics paid n full.  If I hadn't done that, I'm sure I would have just frittered it away on other stuff before those games actually got released.  Of course, this is the first time I've ever pre-ordered this much stuff at once.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 02:48:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2007, 02:40:09 PM

I pre-order all the time.  I do it out of convenience.  I like paying for a game (in full) well before its release.  This way on release day I just walk in and walk out with my game.  It's all about convenience.

This makes zero sense to me.  The time taken is the same amount, just shifted.  Plus it actually takes longer to preorder since you have to give them your personal information. 

Not to mention that even though you preordered you still have to do twice as many transactions and wait in line the second time to pick up your game.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »

Quote from: DonD on October 03, 2007, 02:16:21 PM

I shop at Target enough that I'm inclined to pick up most of my purchases there.  I never preorder and haven't had a problem getting a game on release or within a couple of days (I rarely shop for a game on day 1 anyway).

Target for me too. They get games on launch day in most cases and I don't have to deal with pre-order crap, lying employees, and selling me a game as new when they took all the contents out of the box and put in an envelope under the register (or took home to play themselves before release day). Plus EB is in the mall, I would rather not go in there.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »

That makes no sense to me either. You have to go to the store twice instead of once. Plus you are then shackled to that store to get your copy.

Almost every time a big title comes out, you can find someone bemoaning the fact that the store they preordered at didn't get enough copies in. I remember back when it seemed like EB was the only store to get the game in on release day, but now the Best Buys and Targets of the world get them too and usually in more plentiful supply. I fail to see the point, unless you get some awesome bonus for preordering. (ala Zelda Wind Waker)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 03:00:04 PM »

I'd rather wait than have to buy a game from these stores.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 02:55:44 PM

That makes no sense to me either. You have to go to the store twice instead of once. Plus you are then shackled to that store to get your copy.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning that but I suppose it doesn't apply to everyone.  For me, however, I've got no less than four Gamestops within 10 minutes of work and another one near my house.  Those times I do preorder I sometimes forget which store I preordered at. 

I'm with you though- Best Buys, Target, CC, etc have really stepped up their game and it's incredibly rare that they don't have the games on release day now so that removes a big part of the GS/EB advantage.  And they don't hassle me when I go in their stores either. 

I don't boycott GS or anything but they are absolutely my last resort these days for my game shopping. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 03:09:25 PM »

I only pre-order when it's a game I suspect is either too niche to appear in big box stores, or will be in extremely small quantities.  This basically means Atlus titles.  Even then, my lunch break is during the time when the GS near my office gets their shipment.  I can walk in just as they're unpacking boxes, and there's usually at least one copy.  Of course, each time I do this, the manager tells me, "You're lucky, you don't usually get a copy without preordering".

Most times, I just get games at Best Buy, which is actually closer, usually has plenty of copies, doesn't have staff bugging me to preorder, and I get points toward gift certificates.  GS just gives me crap about how they hardly have any, usually a long line, and I get nothing besides the game.

That said, I've got Rock Band preordered at the GS near my house.  Their staff is actually fairly nice and laid-back, and I wanted the store I get RB from to be relatively close to my house for the purposes of lugging a big box home, and I wanted to be sure I got my Rock Band love.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »

It's been a long long time since I've had a problem getting a game at Gamestop without preordering.  I don't particularly like it, but I loathe Best Buy and CC because I associate them with pushing warranties on me for everything I buy.  I know it doesn't apply to games - it's just an association.  They do push me to preorder stuff at Gamestop, but I just say "No thanks!" and they leave me alone.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »

This makes zero sense to me.  The time taken is the same amount, just shifted...

You mean Starshifted...

I'm not agaisnt pre-orders, I'm just against the in-your-face pre-order policy.

If I pre-ordered, I'd feel obligated to get the game there, and I'd miss out on things like the free strategy guide I got yesterday for buying Zelda DS at Toys R Us.

I prefer Best Buy because I get $5 or $10 coupons depending on how much I spend with them, plus there are often 10% coupons for being in the Reward Zone.  Circuit City just started a program where you get 10% off every time, but my Circuit City sucks with shelves chock full of Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 next to Project Sylpheed.  New releases get crammed in "sometime in the next couple of weeks" after release.

BB is the way to go for me for now.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »

Took the words out of my mouth.

I have occasionally avoided GS for the reasons listed above, especially the eye rolling and "sighing" I get when I say, "No, I didn't have it reserved." I actually did cease buying at our Bristol Mall location because of the negative attitude towards me, when I came in to buy a game that I didn't reserve. Why they give a shit I will never understand, because $59.99 is $59.99, regardless of when I pay it to them.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 04:26:14 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 03, 2007, 04:05:44 PM

...but I loathe Best Buy and CC because I associate them with pushing warranties on me for everything I buy. 

Last time I bought a game from EB (last year) they pushed the warranty thing on me. I actually laughed at the kid.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 04:39:34 PM »

Know what though: It seems that more and more stores are doing great freebie deals on release day...so why (unless it saves you serious dough) pre-order at all.

The free guide for Phantom Hourglass is a perfect example.

But back to the original question...i never shop at EB unless I'm looking for a used game.

Nothing against the place, but there's a lot of hassle there and I don't need it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »

I agree.  Given the choice of being ignored by Best Buy associates vs being hounded for pre-orders at Gamestop I'll choose the former every time.

It used to be that EB/GS would get games a day earlier than everywhere else so it was worth shopping there. But now Circuit City and Best Buy get them at the same time. And sometimes even earlier (ahem...Gears of War....Yes I'm still bitter.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:10:07 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 05:08:04 PM »

I went to the local EB on Saturday evening to pick up a copy of Halo 3.  There were three stacks of them in the case behind the counter.  When I asked the guy for a copy he asked if I had it pre-ordered and I said No.  He smiled and told me that all the copies they had left are preordered.  I pointed at the case behind him and said - Really?  All 30 or 40 of those behind you are preordered?  He kind of laughed, looked at his counter buddy who shrugged, and said Yeah.  I said - Who would preorder and then not pick up their copy by the weekend?  He said - I don't know.  I'm just doing what I'm told.

So I leave, go around the corner and purchase a copy at Target.  For the life of me, I don't understand this policy.  There's no way all of those copies were sold on preorders. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 05:11:45 PM »

Quote from: jament on October 03, 2007, 05:08:04 PM

I went to the local EB on Saturday evening to pick up a copy of Halo 3.  There were three stacks of them in the case behind the counter.  When I asked the guy for a copy he asked if I had it pre-ordered and I said No.  He smiled and told me that all the copies they had left are preordered.  I pointed at the case behind him and said - Really?  All 30 or 40 of those behind you are preordered?  He kind of laughed, looked at his counter buddy who shrugged, and said Yeah.  I said - Who would preorder and then not pick up their copy by the weekend?  He said - I don't know.  I'm just doing what I'm told.

So I leave, go around the corner and purchase a copy at Target.  For the life of me, I don't understand this policy.  There's no way all of those copies were sold on preorders. 

They weren't, believe me, they will lie right to your face. Apparently, they care more about the $5.00 preorder, than selling the $60.00 game, to you, after it comes out. The very same thing happened to me with the Splinter Cell release for the 360, they had boxes of them, BOXES, and said they were all for preorders..........bullshit, especially since this was a few days after the release.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2007, 05:11:45 PM

Quote from: jament on October 03, 2007, 05:08:04 PM

They weren't, believe me, they will lie right to your face. Apparently, they care more about the $5.00 preorder, than selling the $60.00 game, to you, after it comes out. The very same thing happened to me with the Splinter Cell release for the 360, they had boxes of them, BOXES, and said they were all for preorders..........bullshit, especially since this was a few days after the release.

It's because every one of those $5 pre-orders is generating interest for them.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »

Not if those 30 Halo 3's he saw behind the counter weren't really pre-ordered. icon_wink

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 05:43:01 PM »

Gamestop as a corporation is all about looking like they're making money, rather than actually making money.

For comparison's sake, consider this:

I used to manage an EB.  For big releases, stores were tracked and ranked on the number of copies that were sold in the first two weeks.  Preorders were strongly encouraged, but only in that they led to early sales, which is what actually mattered.  Smart managers would actively stick to the 48 hour hold on preorders, because once that was up, they were free to use that inventory to sell to non preorder customers, which only helped numbers.  Also, anyone walking in the weekend after release probably isn't the target audience for pre-ordering anyway.

When Gamestop bought out EB, the focus shifted.  Under GS, the rankings were based on the number of preorders, and the actual sales didn't matter.  That change encouraged managers to massage their preorder numbers, and led to strange behavior like people have been reporting.  By not selling without a preorder, the hope is that the customer will learn to preorder, and the lost sale isn't a problem, because it won't affect rankings.

Of course, these behaviors aren't condoned by the corporate end, but they're encouraged by the way the ranking system is set up. 

unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »

I've tended to stop going to Gamestopo unless I'm looking to pick up something used.  I used to try buying from them rather than Best Buy... but they never had anything in stock.  So even if I wanted it, they didn't have it.

Also... why pre-order unless there is a bonus involved, or to secure a lower price?  Hey, if they want to sell it to me for $5 less because I pre-ordered... I'll start pre-ordering.  But when there is no incentive involved, there is no point... and in fact there is only downside, since somewhere else might have it on sale when it first comes out (and GS/EB doesn't price match).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 06:06:35 PM »

For my Gamestop, I NEVER get any of the badgering, the outright lying to your face, etc. But that's only because I know like half the staff there (and somebody I know tends to be there whenever I walk in), and because I occasionally 'play their game' when it comes to preorders. I mean, I'm there buying something, I might as well preorder something else, as I know I'll be back (especially they're on a direct route to/from work for me).

You have to remember - not only are the employees told to get everybody to preorder stuff, but they get a bonus to their paycheck for preorders/warranties/CD 'protection', etc (or at least they used to - not sure exactly if they still do it this way). They obviously want to do this.

Just find the (rare) store staffed by actual gamers and go there instead. They'll treat you well if you do the same.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »

You guys are unbelievable.  I have never had a bad experience at any Gamestops that I frequented.  I never had anyone in my face telling me to pre-order.  The most I had was "do you want to pre-order anything else" after I picked up my game.  I reply "no thanks" and he/she says "ok".  Nothing more.

As far as Best Buy, Circuit City and Targets go they are horrible for having new games anywhere near release day.  I have tried on several occasions only to have them tell me they sold out and check back next week.  F that.  And if they do have it you better damn well make sure you have at least 20 minutes to spend standing in line because out of the 12 registers only one will be operating at any one time.  Those stores suck to high heaven for buying video games.

And you are not "shackled" to your pre-order.  You can shift it to another game.  I've done this several times when other good deals pop up.  Case in point:  I pre-ordered Mario Party 8 at Gamestop.  Circuit City had it for $10 cheaper.  I bought it there and (star)shifted the pre-order to another game.  No big deal.

Like I said I simply like taking care of things ahead of time.  It's easier that way.  How is this so difficult to understand?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 06:12:20 PM »

Starshifter, let's just say your experience is the polar opposite of mine.  I *do* get hassled, to the point where I don't enjoy shopping there.  Meanwhile, my local Bestbuy almost always has what I want on release day, on store shelves, I never have to wait in line around noon.  It's a much quicker, easier, and more enjoyable buying experience for me. 
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »

Gamestop etc are now basically all about used games sales. Its the only thing keeping them in business.  They are preorder nazis because the margin on new games isnt very good at all.  It also takes the worry out of Gamestop industry buyers making a large poor purchase.

Gamestop /eb  etc days are numbered. This will be the last genreation of consoles that allow rental/used sales.  After this the new consoles will marry the software with the hardware.  You may be able to put it on two machines or so, but that is all.  Used/rental sales dont help publishers a bit,  used console games will become like the dinosaur in this upcoming decade.

Mark my words. PS3 came very close to doing it this round.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 06:25:46 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 03, 2007, 06:08:47 PM

You guys are unbelievable.  I have never had a bad experience at any Gamestops that I frequented.  I never had anyone in my face telling me to pre-order.  The most I had was "do you want to pre-order anything else" after I picked up my game.  I reply "no thanks" and he/she says "ok".  Nothing more.

As far as Best Buy, Circuit City and Targets go they are horrible for having new games anywhere near release day.  I have tried on several occasions only to have them tell me they sold out and check back next week.  F that.  And if they do have it you better damn well make sure you have at least 20 minutes to spend standing in line because out of the 12 registers only one will be operating at any one time.  Those stores suck to high heaven for buying video games.

And you are not "shackled" to your pre-order.  You can shift it to another game.  I've done this several times when other good deals pop up.  Case in point:  I pre-ordered Mario Party 8 at Gamestop.  Circuit City had it for $10 cheaper.  I bought it there and (star)shifted the pre-order to another game.  No big deal.

Like I said I simply like taking care of things ahead of time.  It's easier that way.  How is this so difficult to understand?

Difficult to  understand? No, not at all, but you should at least respect the fact that your experiences with Gamestop are very different that ours, and that is why we're jaded. My local CC, BB, Wal-Mart, and Target beat the pants off MOST of our Gamestop's around here, but I don't paint with a broad brush and damn ALL Gamestop's, I am sure there are some really good ones out there that have good customer relationships.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 06:27:25 PM »

A friend of mine was relatively high up in the foodchain at Gamestop. Since preorders save the company significant money on Inventory he suggested that customers who preorder be given a 5% discount. Not much, but better than nothing and it saves you $3 on a 360 or PS3 new release.

He said his boss looked at him like he was "growing a third eye in the middle of his forehead and said they aren't in the business of giving money away." 

So much for customer appreciation. You get raped on trade-in prices, and can't even get a tiny savings for preordering.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 07:01:03 PM »

...Targets go they are horrible for having new games anywhere near release day.

Heck my Target almost never fails to have them on day one. Yeah I can't say they are perfect, but I can think of at least 2 occasions when EB told me they didn't have any copies of a game because I didn't preorder. So they are about even in that regard.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »

I'm not sure why we're unbelievable, Shifty.  When the majority is complaining about the ram-it-down-your-throat pre-order policy, you should maybe believe what you hear, even though your experience seems to be different.

In my local GS/EB stores, there are people I like, who know me, and they still ask every time about pre-ordering and put a disappointed look on their faces when I walk in asking for a game I didn't pre-order.  There is one guy who won't do that or go through the whole "Well, let me check to see if there are non-preorders" routine, but he's not always in.

On top of that and the bonuses elsewhere, Best Buy often gets things in before EB/GS in my area.  I like to play games when they come out, too.  At my BB, if something isn't on the shelf when I walk in, they'll go look for it in the back for me.  At EB/GS I get told to check back in a couple of hours while they go through inventory.  Even in the slow ass days of summer.  I worked retail.  Getting new product on the shelves is paramount.  If someone came in looking for something, we would damn well go through the couple of boxes we had, find the item and sell it.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »

I too avoid GS/EB for the pre-ordering nonsense. I'm not sure if I get "hassled", but anytime I buy anything in there (usually a used game) I get bugged about pre-ordering this or that. If I need a game on release day, I go to Best Buy. As someone above said, I'd rather be ignored by BB drones than questioned by GS sales clerks. The vast majority of my purchases are done online where I don't have to deal with anyone  icon_smile.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 08:01:31 PM »

I've never waited 20 minutes in a line at a store if it wasn't insane Christmas rush time.  The longest I have waited in a line in the last year was at GameStop about a month ago trying to buy some used cables, and that left a very bad taste in my mouth.  I know for a fact that Target's policy is that if there are more than two people at a register they are supposed to open another one to help more people.  Plus, you can just buy it right at the electronics counter and skip the front of the store altogether.  Circuit City and Best Buy very rarely have more than one person waiting at the registers and the transactions are usually quite quick. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 03, 2007, 06:21:58 PM

Mark my words. PS3 came very close to doing it this round.

And if they had done it, the PS3 would be in an even worse position than they are now. This will not happen, not this generation, not next, due to the backlash they'd get from retailers and consumers alike.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 03, 2007, 08:01:31 PM

I've never waited 20 minutes in a line at a store if it wasn't insane Christmas rush time.  The longest I have waited in a line in the last year was at GameStop about a month ago trying to buy some used cables, and that left a very bad taste in my mouth.  I know for a fact that Target's policy is that if there are more than two people at a register they are supposed to open another one to help more people.  Plus, you can just buy it right at the electronics counter and skip the front of the store altogether.  Circuit City and Best Buy very rarely have more than one person waiting at the registers and the transactions are usually quite quick. 
I waited over 20 minutes to return 2 unopened games to Gamestop yesterday, with 2 people ahead of me in line, and two employees sitting on the floor. Then I got quizzed as to why I was returning the games. I let them know that not wanting them was a perfectly good reason.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: