http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:42:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Pro Baseball finally coming back across the ocean, (wii, ps2)  (Read 7140 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2007, 01:59:11 AM »

How do you trade players in here? I can edit everything but can't figure out how to get trades done!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »

Ok, few more impressions after a couple more games.

First, putting the CPU difficulty on expert really makes a difference.  They pitch alot more strategically and games are very close and realistic.   Recommended for those who find normal too easy.

Secondly, alot of damn cool things in this game.   If you haven't already, take a bit to look in the shop.   Unbelievable how they have managed to capture the throwing styles and batting stances of the actual MLB players.   So much to spend credits on.   Just going through all the players in the shop and seeing what you can purchase is fun.   I just can't imagine they could get the tiny characters to look identical to their real life players.

Lastly, check out the OS forums as there is a ton of good tips and hints posted in their forums.   Alot of cool tips and hidden type of stuff people have seen thus far.   One poster stated he played in a game in a retractable roof stadium and the roof started to close during the game when it rained.   How freakin' cool is that.  Good stuff over at OS.

Damn incredible game this is.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »

We HAVE to get a tips/tricks thread going for this game.  I am COMPLETELY LOST!  The manual is confusing.  The game is confusing.  But, this is the BEST baseball game ever!

I have a billion questions and don't know where to begin.  If a game ever needed a strategy guide it is this one.

Question 1:  How do you change players in the field after the ball is hit?
Question 2:  How do you make your players run faster?

This game is amazing.  I've already read through the threads at Operation Sports and those threads have become so numerous I'm lost!

Help!  confused confused confused

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »

Shifty, do you have the Wii version?

PS2 uses the shoulder buttons for both your questions!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2007, 03:33:07 PM »

OK folks... how do you get the computer to throw balls out of the strikezone?

Has anyone who has played the game for awhile drawn more than a walk a game?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »

I've drawn a few walks (I swing at pretty much everything though). As pitchers get tired they miss the zone more.

Change up your difficulty.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »

Ya i got the cpu difficulty at expert and they issue a walk here and there if you are patient and can recognize a ball out of the zone.  For me, expert is the perfect difficulty to play against the cpu.

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2007, 05:24:20 PM »

I'll have to check out the OS forums.  

Anyone try the Success Mode?  I made a brainy, knuckle-balling reliever who suffered a career-ending injury (broken arm) right before the final game of his college career.  It was pretty fun and took about an hour-and-a-half to get that far.

I think that once you complete success mode (get a guy to the majors), you can select a "reduced text" option that skips some of the story-line dialogue.  I'm looking forward to that feature because there is alot of text to read.    

I'm going to start a season next.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2007, 05:48:59 PM »

I just started my Success Mode guy. Haven't even gotten to a game yet...

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2007, 06:49:06 PM »

I would like to start a Success Mode guy as well.  I've read some good stuff about it.  I just need to rip myself away from Team Fortress 2 long enough to get 'er done.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »

I am absolutely loving this game.  I've had high-scoring games, and games dominated by pitching.  Almost got walked a couple of times (full count), as well.  ALSO, games are way shorter than The Show offers, which is nice.

I have the PS2 version.

Can someone explain baserunning to me?  I use the "normal" (I think it's style A) controller config.  I know triangle advances all runners, and circle makes them go back, but I can't figure out how to individually tell a runner where to go.

The manual/game says use the analog stick and X, but that doesn't really work :/

**nm, figured it out**
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:44:22 AM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2007, 12:08:15 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 08, 2007, 03:25:46 PM

Wii version.  Do you have an answer?  Anyone?  For the life of me I can't figure it out.  Someone at Operation Sports said you can't change the fielders.

XM Channel 76
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »

Anyone start Season Mode?  If so, how did you customize your difficulty settings (and how is it working out)?

I'm going to start a season tonight.  The Season (or franchise) Mode seems doable because each game doesn't take too long.  So far, my exhibition games against the CPU have averaged about 25 minutes, which is short compared to other baseball games.  My shortest game was 19 minutes (I mustered only one hit icon_eek) and my longest was 32.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 09, 2007, 12:08:15 PM

Wii version.  Do you have an answer?  Anyone?  For the life of me I can't figure it out.  Someone at Operation Sports said you can't change the fielders.

Bizarre. Especially since the computer's choice of who is closest to the ball is sketchy at best.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2007, 03:14:37 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 09, 2007, 01:35:15 PM

Quote from: Starshifter on October 09, 2007, 12:08:15 PM

Bizarre. Especially since the computer's choice of who is closest to the ball is sketchy at best.

I know and nobody here seems to know the answer.  This game has a lot of potential and is one game I wish there were a strategy guide for.  The Operation Sports forums have become unwieldy to say the least.

XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2007, 03:22:29 PM »

I agree with the Op Sports comment, but there's so much going on in this game that things are bound to get out of control...

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »

BTW, the only way to create players is to take them through Success Mode. After you go through it once you get an option to use "shortcut mode" which basically gets rid of all the story parts of it and makes the process take about 30 minutes. I made a player and then my roommate made one and they came out completely different because of some choices early on, so there's quite a bit of replay value to it.

For fielder switching, I don't think you can change them with the Wii version. I've pushed all the buttons and nothing happens so you have to leave it up to the suspect AI. The worst ones are balls hit to the first baseman where he decides to just cover the bag rather than field the ball.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2007, 01:20:02 AM »

I saw Octavious mention over on OO about the Gamecube controller working much better w/ the Wii version. Apparently you can switch fielders simply by hitting the left trigger with it.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2007, 03:35:12 AM »

Yup if you use the GC controller you can switch fielders with the left trigger. The game feels so much better with the controller. I'm thinking the classic controller will work as well but I can't confirm.
It looks like the Wii controller support wasn't completly fleshed out for this version and they didn't bother to tell people. Oh well I already had a GC controller so it's no big deal.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2007, 06:28:53 AM »

Any chance of a PSP version? I see in Japan they have a PSP version of the normal game (not the Major League one) and I would probably pick it up if I could play it portably.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on October 10, 2007, 03:35:12 AM

Yup if you use the GC controller you can switch fielders with the left trigger. The game feels so much better with the controller. I'm thinking the classic controller will work as well but I can't confirm.
It looks like the Wii controller support wasn't completly fleshed out for this version and they didn't bother to tell people. Oh well I already had a GC controller so it's no big deal.

That's a relief.  Thanks!  I have two GC controllers so I'll give them a shot.

XM Channel 76
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2007, 04:48:41 PM »

I read some of the manual and to switch fielders on the Wiimote, use the B (trigger) button.

I think my Wavebird needs new batteries. I couldn't get my fielders to run diagonal down. Annoying!

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on October 10, 2007, 04:48:41 PM

I read some of the manual and to switch fielders on the Wiimote, use the B (trigger) button.

That's odd.  I tried that and it would not work.  Plus, I could not find that tidbit in the manual.  I'll try that as well tonight.

XM Channel 76
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 10, 2007, 05:39:28 PM

Quote from: lildrgn on October 10, 2007, 04:48:41 PM

That's odd.  I tried that and it would not work.  Plus, I could not find that tidbit in the manual.  I'll try that as well tonight.

Ditto. I pressed every conceivable button, but I'll give it a go as well.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2007, 07:12:25 PM »

I'm 99.9 percent sure holding down B will prevent it from switching. I'm 100 percent sure it's doesn't switch. It's like night and day using the GC controller. I'm turning double plays left and right compared to few and far between with the Wii controller.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2007, 07:42:34 PM »

So then it's settled:

Wii=Gimmick!

slywink

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »

Yeah I am surprised no one with the Wii version is using the Classic controller, which is leagues better than the Cubetroller. Everywhere I've read about the game, Gaf and CAG for instance, people are using the Classic controller and loving it to death. I wouldn't play it any other way.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »

Any of you finish the sucess mode and have some tips?

It seems to go on forever...

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2007, 02:46:15 PM »

Tebunker -- I picked two classic controllers based upon your recommendation.  You are right, it is better.  And my 8-year-old finds it much easier, too. 

Tips for success mode?  Hmmm.  My success rate is only about 33% right now (I'm about 5 for 15).  But my last three times I've made it to the majors.  I don't know enough about the game to give great tips but here are a few things that I've found to be helpful:

First, early on, buy the powerin stuff (I forget the name) that increases maximum vitality.  More vitality allows you to train more between rest, which, in turn, gives you those "bonus" points when you finally do sleep. 

Second, try to have one of each fate card on hand at all times. 

Also, try out different fate cards in different situations -- sometimes doing the opposite of what you think is "right" gives a better result (I think this happens when you're asked to steal the statute near the beginning -- saying yes gets you a new girlfriend or something). 

And when it comes to training up stats, for a batter, I think increasing contact and trajectory (before power) is the best way to get to the majors.  The last guy I made had only 68 in power but very high contact and ability.  In games, I would usually get two or three hits every time.

Make sure you work enough to buy good equipment -- it's not very hard to do and some of it really makes a difference in how you play.  Especially since training up in some stats (trajectory, arm strength, gets expensive fast).

Finally, I do better when I'm not the captain.  I'd rather have four at-bats to try to get a hit as opposed to taking over the whole team in the 8th inning.  I'm simply not good enough to win like that.  And, if you don't get a hit in your one at-bat as captain and the computer didn't get a hit for you earlier (which happens alot, it seems), you're probably on your way to being cut.  

That's all I got.  And, again, I'm not even sure I understand all the game mechanics, so don't rely too heavily on what I say.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:49:40 PM by Frogstar » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2007, 03:00:06 PM »

Thanks!

That's HUGE.

I can't make it through my first time...it drags and drags and drags....Only downside of this game for me so far and that's just because I'm lazy!

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2007, 03:10:26 PM »

Don't give up.  When you complete the Success Mode for the first time, you unlock a "shortcut" option, which allows you to skip a lot of the text in future games.  This drastically reduces the time it takes to complete Success Mode.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2007, 03:25:47 PM »

Cool - Thanks Again!!

I get into the trap that every time I go into Success Mode, after a few flips of the calendar, I realize that I'd have more fun playing a game and then quit to an exhibition game.

Really do want to finish it though!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2007, 11:52:22 PM »

from CAG:

Ive now gone thru Success mode 4 times and Ive gotten the minor league contract each time. I got a few more tips for ya.

- First thing, save and quit often. It may seem like cheating to continually restart your game when things go wrong, but I think the pain of going all the way thru success mode and not gettinga contract is worse.

- As soon as you start Success mode, do nothing but study until you raise your bookworm skill to the level where you can see the Hyper gauge. This is very important for the next tip.

- Never rest until your Hyper gauge meter is in the zone. Resting without getting a Hyper gauge bonus is a huge waste. If your fatigued, buy Powerin to restore your stamina instead of resting. As the months go by, these Hyper bonus' can add up to hundreds of extra strength points.

- When you practice, do the same practice several times in a row. Say you do the strength training, the first time its +30 points, the next time its +32, the next time its +34, etc. But you cannot do anything inbetween, dont shop, dont date, dont rest, just practice.

- Save up your points and upgrade one thing all at once. If you uprage one thing, then another, the cost of the first thing will go up more than if you upgraded it all in a row. For example, with pitches, if you pick a curveball, upgrade it all the way before you buy another pitch type. If you buy the curve, then the shuto, each one becomes more expensive to upgrade. I had a level 6 Curveball before I ever got a another pitch.

- Try to win the College Kings Tourny in your third year. Winning it in the second year is great, but if you win it in your third year, you get to play an additional game, which even if you lose it (Ive never won it) you get a buttload of extra points.

Thats it for now, if I figure out anything else amazing, I'll be sure to share it here.

Your gonna need money in this mode, cos my strategy involves buying lots of items, but theres simply not enough time to practice, work, date, and study. But I found a solution! When you meet the math major girl, you must date her. She gives you bookworm and ladiesman ability when you date her, killing two birds with one stone.

When you meet her, she gives you math problems to do, you have to go to the 'study' option to do them, but that makes her like you. After a couple times of this, she likes you alot and gives you bookworm ability on dates and you never need to study again. I got the highest scores in the class on my exams just thru dating her.

When not dating her, practice and work a part time job. The more you work, the more money comes your way, you need to build your financial skills. After a while I was able to 'invest' my money and every week I would make about $40 doing nothing just thru my investments.

So what do you need that money for? Go to the shop and buy a shitload of those tonics that restore vitality. The better you get at finance, the cheaper they become. Buy as many as you can, I try to have at least 10 of them on hand at any one time.

Why the tonics? Heres the big secret. When you practice and lose vitality, dont rest! If you rest every time your vitality gets low, you will never get the 'Hyper' experience point bonus. Theres a meter that you cant see, that builds as you lose vitality, and when it gets to a certain point, you get the Hyper bonus when you rest. Now when your vitality gets low, instead of resting, guzzle down a bunch of those tonics you bought to raise your vitality back up. Now the next time when you get run down, finally rest and you will get the Hyper bonus, which is substantial. I was getting over 90+ strength points per Hyepr bonus! This adds up really fast. Plus instead of wasting a week resting, you can practice or work more. So basically you need to forego sleep and live on a chemical cocktail like any normal college student! =p

My first run thru of Success with a pitcher I rested all the time to regain vitality and I wound up with a four pitches of levels 3,3,2 & 2. On my second run thru with another pitcher, using this strategy, I ended up with four pitches levels 6,6,6,6 and many more special abilities and a 90 mph max speed. My second character was at least twice as powerful as my first.

Note that while doing this, your beginning career may look bad. I had insomnia twice that I had to go to the hospital to cure, and I was always losing motivation in the beginning and doubting myself. But it turned around in the midddle of the second year, and I even won the Tourny in that year. So dont get discouraged if everythings not going great at fist.

hope that helps

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2007, 01:51:38 AM »

Thanks, Bunk!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2007, 11:41:32 PM »

According to Cheapass Gamer, Best Buy will have the Wii version on sale for $19.99 starting 11/25 .

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2007, 12:32:51 AM »

BUY THIS GAME, PEOPLE.

TheMissingLink on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2007, 09:25:49 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 22, 2007, 11:41:32 PM

According to Cheapass Gamer, Best Buy will have the Wii version on sale for $19.99 starting 11/25 .

Oh damn! I hope that deal applies to BB's in Canada too. The last time I was in a TRU store, my son grabbed it off the shelf and asked if we could get it sometime soon. If it goes on sale here for any price in the vicinity of $20, it'll end up in my son's stocking. slywink
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2007, 10:53:16 PM »

I picked this up for $20 at Best Buy a couple days ago and am having tons of fun! This thread put the game on my radar and I'm glad it did.

After a few re-loads in Success mode I finally got my first player into the majors and have started my first season. Success mode was more fun than I'd expected and I'm looking forward to doing it again. The pitching and batting mechanics feel great.

What a well done game. Only problem is the save system is cumbersome and it seems there's no way to have more than one person underway at a time in Success mode, quite a bummer.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »

Very late to this game, but with the real baseball season underway, I got in the mood.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some questions about season/success modes...

• If you get a player successfully through the success mode, is there any way to play him while he's in the minors?
  • Do all the roleplaying elements (girlfriends, finance, intelligence, favorite team, etc.) become meaningless after you finish success mode?
  • Rather than play out entire games, I'd like to get one player into the majors via success mode, then play that player through a ten-year career. I can see how to turn on the options so that I only play as one player, but I'd prefer not to worry about the GM aspects of the game while I do that. Is it possible to turn off the GM part of the game in season mode?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: