http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 02:53:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your Lumines high scores/strategies  (Read 2886 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2005, 12:32:59 AM »

My highest score is at 58k.  Not too great, but it's an improvement, at least for me   biggrin

I'm still not too great at Lumines, but I keep on getting stuck at a certain score for a couple of games and then beat it, then get stuck, and on and on.  I keep on trying to play it like Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo . . . which messes me up . . . but I've had pretty good success really trying to concentrate on building horizontally.  It helped watching the "demo" video after the tutorial one at the title screen.

Oh, and getting lucky with the special block   biggrin   I try to have lots of connected lines which would net me lots of points when a special block does come up.  Sometimes it works brilliantly . . . and sometimes it becomes an utter disaster.

Just thought I'd post and see what kinds of scores all of you were getting.  Seems like a good population of the PSP owners at Console Gold seem to have Lumines.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 01:13:26 AM »

My best is about 56k.

My main problem is that I can't see the characters well on the skin that comes up at that point, and the blocks are moving fast enough that I really need to see them well to decide quickly where to put them.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 01:47:38 AM »

*fires up Lumines*

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 02:08:37 AM »

48k. I too am having trouble mostly because the background.

Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 02:15:46 AM »

Well, not a strategy, but I had a funny thing happen. In one game I had a score of 20k before the third block fell. How? The very first two blocks were solid! Meaning they each cleared the screen, and for clearing the screen you get a 10k bonus.

Kind of puts things into a different perspective when the next game it takes a good 15mins of playing to get to that point, hehe.

Anyway, think my high score at the moment is ~60k.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 05:46:18 AM »

Mine is under 25k.  Sigh.  I'm still getting used to rethinking how I drop things.

How long did it take everyone to get up as high as they did?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 07:25:09 AM »

Just got to 78k, woohoo!

And I've been playing it a good deal of time and been steadily getting better and better.  At first I really had to think things out on where to drop, how to position the block, etc.  But it starts coming more and more "natural", just like every puzzle game.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:51:29 AM »

Every now and then, I attain this zenlike feeling when I play Lumines, and all the blocks just sort of... flow into their rightful places. It's a beautiful thing when it happens.

Er. That said, the highest I've gotten is 59K. So I still have a long way to shineandshineandshine.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 02:21:55 PM »

I should clarify:  I meant in the one sitting when you got the score.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »

Well I just had my best run, and ended up with 229,174 points on challenge mode.  Unfortunately the screen doesn't stay visible for very long when you lose, so I didn't have a chance to look at all the numbers on the right, but the top number was Level 96 or so, and I was playing for a couple hours.

It's funny though, the actual difficulty seems to go up in down in waves as you play.  I have a real hard time in the beginning when it gets to blue and white icy blocks and red and white circles, but then there's a long series of much slower songs.  When I lost the songs had started speeding up again.

Fun stuff, I haven't had this strong a 'gotta beat my high score' urge on a puzzle game since the original Tetris.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 03:08:54 PM »

As far as strategies, I improved a lot after learning this "move."

When you get this piece (in any orientation)
Code:
OO
OX

Look for an area on the field that has a single O color block sticking up
Code:

O
XXXXXXXXX

Position your piece like so
Code:
    OX
     OO

O
XXXXXXXXX

It will land like this
Code:
    X
    OO
    OO
XXXXXXXXX

And the X color will fall down to match the Xs that were previously buried.  Not all that complicated, I know, but that type of placement wasn't obvious to me for a while.

The main other 'strategy' of sorts goes along with the above: When you're placing a piece that will erase a big square, make sure that the leftover parts of that piece will end up falling on like-colors when it gets deleted.  Buried areas of mismatched colors are the Lumines equivalent of the holes in Tetris; you want to make it your objective to dig down and clear up the mess.
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 05:51:07 PM »

And the dreaded block...

Code:
ox
xo
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 05:58:22 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

I should clarify:  I meant in the one sitting when you got the score.

Oooh - for me it was maybe a 15 minute session?  I've heard of people (like an example already in this forum) take hours to lose.

And apparently you get this skin called "Lights" when you get past level 99.  So you were close wonderpug!

That block placement is an instance where I just started to really get in my brain that combination.  And it does help tremendously.

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 06:54:52 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

And apparently you get this skin called "Lights" when you get past level 99.  So you were close wonderpug!

There is also a skin unlocked when you get the high score 999,999  :shock:

Right now I'm working on trying to get 50 blocks in 60 second mode, the highest i've gotten so far is 44. There is a new skin unlocked for each time attack mode, but you need to clear 50 blocks per minute (50 blocks for 60 second mode, 150 blocks for 180 second mode, etc etc)

My current high score in challenge mode is 77k.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 07:09:47 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

Just tried again and died at 95, it just starts getting crazy fast for me at that point.  Next time I'm going to try and have one of those special bricks with the dot in the middle set up with a loooong chain set up through the whole screen so I have a panic button to press when it starts getting hopeless.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 07:43:29 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

It's funny though, the actual difficulty seems to go up in down in waves as you play.  I have a real hard time in the beginning when it gets to blue and white icy blocks and red and white circles, but then there's a long series of much slower songs.  

The red and white circles skin is the bane of existance right now. I can play a solid game until i hit that skin, then everything goes to shit. The same thing with the black and 'clear' skin in vs mode.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 08:02:10 PM »

I have a real hard time in the beginning when it gets to blue and white icy blocks and red and white circles, but then there's a long series of much slower songs.

Maaaaan your beginning is my ending!  That's where I usually lose now.  All I need to do is get to that long series of slower songs!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 09:55:53 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

It's funny though, the actual difficulty seems to go up in down in waves as you play.  I have a real hard time in the beginning when it gets to blue and white icy blocks and red and white circles, but then there's a long series of much slower songs.  

The red and white circles skin is the bane of existance right now. I can play a solid game until i hit that skin, then everything goes to shit. The same thing with the black and 'clear' skin in vs mode.
Red/White (the one after ShakeYourBody) is definitely the make it or break it level.  Either you've built a good structure and will survive, or you've built a weak structure and it'll finish you off.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 10:22:21 PM »

Right now I'm working on trying to get 50 blocks in 60 second mode, the highest i've gotten so far is 44.

Are you kidding me?  I haven't even broken 20.  What am I missing here?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 06:35:30 PM »

Seriously, how is it possible to get that high on the time attack modes?  I'm thinking I'm missing some essential strategy that will also help me get higher than 30k on regular mode.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 08:24:12 PM »

Try your best to clear multiple blocks at the same time, and you'll end up getting more blocks (sets of 4 squares) per square.  For instance if you can manage to pile this up before the line sweeps by:
OO
OO
OO
OOO
OOO
You'll get credit for 5 blocks even though you're only using 12 squares. (5 non touching blocks would require 20 squares.)  This way you're getting more bang for your buck with each drop.

Another example:
If you have a
O
OO
sitting on the ground, don't clear it with the corner of a
XX
OX
piece, that's using two drops for just one block cleared.  Instead wait for a
XO
OO
which you can drop to make
X
OO
OO
OO
so that now you get two blocks cleared instead of just one.  It's all about bang for your buck per drop I think.

This approach hasn't been working too bad for me, but time attacks are still pretty tough.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 08:29:53 PM »

wonderpug - that last strat is kinda referred to as the "Survival Strategy" over at Gamefaqs.  So I've been working on really concentrating and doing those kind of drops.  Essentially the reason why people try to employ that is to get up to level 99 - to get the skin Lights.  And last night I basically got to the skin after the red/white after SHAKEYOURBODY, where I've been many times but never gotten past, just basically doing that strategy and then going bonkers when linking together the "all" block, and I got roughly half the highest score I previously had   :lol:

So don't try to just do that if wanting lots of points!  But getting the most bang for your buck and using it is a wise thing to do   biggrin

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 09:45:35 PM »

finnaly broke into the 6 digits today, 101k in survival mode.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »

I got up to level 76 or something before biting it a couple nights ago.  My final score was a little over 200,000.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2005, 02:51:48 AM »

6 hours to kill on a train + PSP = new high score for me

level 137
1hour 40 minutes
414453 points
3650 cleared
lights and rodent? unlocked?  If lights is at level 100, what did I do to get rodent?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2005, 02:56:34 AM »

6 hours to kill on a train + PSP = new high score for me

level 137
1hour 40 minutes
414453 points
3650 cleared
lights and rodent? unlocked?  If lights is at level 100, what did I do to get rodent?

No clue but DANG MAN!  . . . how did you do that?   biggrin

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2005, 02:35:31 PM »

The songs slow down again when you hit 100 (Lights is a slow song, and then it starts over at ShineandShineandShine), so the first bit of 100+ levels are a lot easier than 90-100.  Other than that I think the big thing for me is to get better at unburying messed up parts of the board, and making that my big focus.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 03:19:27 PM »

Wow, I really need more practice.  I'm having a hell of a time even getting over 10k.

Man do I suck at puzzle games...  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 04:23:17 PM »

It took me 30 minutes of play time to get to 70k.  Craaazzzyyy!  I've been playing and playing . . . but not getting any better.  Maybe it's the way that I play . . . hmmm . . .

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2005, 12:27:20 PM »

Damn, I love it when all of a sudden you just 'get' a game.

I had been getting frustrated as hell with Lumines.  I just couldn't seem to figure it out, and my high score was only around 12,000.  The farthest I'd gotten was the third song, and if I had to hear that damn 'creepy silence' song one more time I was going to scream.  I was seriously considering trading it in for something else, but decided I'd give it one more try last night.

Suddenly, it just clicked.  I started seeing the patterns, started using the special blocks better, and ended up with a 49k score.  Still nothing compared to most people here, but certainly better than 12k.

I think I'll hang on to this one, 'cause now I'm hooked.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »

If lights is at level 100, what did I do to get rodent?

Rodent is unlocked when you've played over 10 hours.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 04:32:56 PM »

the one thing i've done that's improved my gameplay more than anything else? - i turned down the damn music! seriously, i immediately became more focused / less spastic...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 05:34:38 PM »

I got to level 95 last night.

What I call the 'Ascent to Lights' -- every song from 'My Generation' on -- is such a bitch.  'Metronome' was kicking my ass for awhile, since it's so hard to tell the pieces from the background, but it finally fell.  Now I just need to have a clearer screen when level 90 hits and I should be able to get to Lights.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 08:08:09 PM »

Please tell me I'm wrong about this, but does the game not let you save a high score if you've had the game and system on sleep mode for a while?  My newest high score took me two and a half hours to reach, and it didn't save the score.  Just seems annoying to have to have a 2-3 hour block of time in one sitting to have my score remembered.  I'm now in the habit of pausing the game when I know I'm about to lose so that I can write down the info. :(
depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 05:15:05 AM »

Please tell me I'm wrong about this, but does the game not let you save a high score if you've had the game and system on sleep mode for a while?  My newest high score took me two and a half hours to reach, and it didn't save the score.  Just seems annoying to have to have a 2-3 hour block of time in one sitting to have my score remembered.  I'm now in the habit of pausing the game when I know I'm about to lose so that I can write down the info. frown

No it does.  Where you probably got twisted up is when, after going in sleep mode and then finishing out your game, it asks if you want to load data.  For some odd reason, you want to select "no" or "cancel" . . . I forgot which at the moment.  Though, your instinct is to hit "ok".  Kinda wonky   :?

Got my highest score yet tonight - through 48 minutes of play time, and level 55, a score of 146k.  Pretty much demolished my last highest score   biggrin   Basically, in the beginning, getting the "color clear" extra 1k points is a good way to really get on a roll.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:42 PM »

Even better is getting the 10k "clear screen" bonus at the beginnnig when the first piece you get is a single-colored square.  biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2005, 03:38:40 AM »

Wee!
Level 211
Score 738,005
Deleted 5923

If there really is a skin at 999,999 points I'll never see it.  Right about level 210 the background changes and the pieces start falling as if you're holding down the down arrow.  I think I need to switch back to the pig avatar, he's better luck than the square-face guy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: