http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 12:22:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible temp sound skip fix HL2  (Read 1611 times)
Octavious230
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2004, 07:36:18 AM »

Posted this over at the other board figured you guys might want to give it a shot as well.

The sound was skipping pretty badly on me so I went config hunting for the sound options. I foudn them and tweaked it a bit. It's not completly gone on my computer but it's MUCH better. I'm sure with a little more tweaking I could get it almost perfect.

Here's what I did. Browse to the
D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\octavious230\half-life 2\hl2\cfg

folder... obviously subtitute your own username in there I doubt you guys have a login as octavious230....  

Anyway in there is a config file open this in notepad.
I changed the following values will a big improvement with performance.
***Make a copy of the config as I haven't nearly tested this very much***

Here's the sound settings that I changed.

I modifed the dsp_dist_max by half I think this is the distance it tries to use advanced sound.

I also modifed the setting snd_mixahead it was set to 0.1 I set it to 1.0
This definatly made a big diffrence you might even want to try setting it even higher to see what happens. I'm pretty sure this "preloads" the sounds which when set higher will tax the cpu more and the soundcard less. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. So if you have a slow computer this might bog it down I didn't notice any performance decrease by bumping it up to 1.0.

Below are all the sound settings that I think will affect performance.
Your mission if you choose to accept it is to mess with this crap while I'm at work!!!

Let me know if this works. I'm curious to see if it's just all in my mind or if it really does make it run better. Have at it boys!!!

dsp_dist_max "740.0"
dsp_dist_min "0.0"
snd_mixahead "1.0"
snd_musicvolume "0.130000"
volume "0.180000"
snd_pitchquality "1"
sv_forcepreload "1"
sv_voiceenable "1"
dsp_enhance_stereo "1"
dsp_volume "1.0"
dsp_slow_cpu "0"
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 09:01:32 AM »

Didnt help for me frown

A for effort though!

olaf
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 04:21:37 PM »

Hmm did you try turning down the acceleration on the soundcard in the control panel? Try it on the lowest setting then move it up a notch till it starts giving you issues.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 06:48:39 PM »

Valve says to cure choppy sound to turn your graphics down from high to medium.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 07:24:51 PM »

Mines arleady at medium.. I'm gona mess with those settings again tonight... I definatly saw a improvement when  I changed that stuff.
Here's hoping they actually patch it and soon it's a damn obvious issue that almost everyone seems to be having.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 08:59:05 PM »

Mine skipped badly at first also.  I forgot I had my card set to maximum quality from playing WoW lately, which bogged the hell out of HL2.  Setting my vid card to "Application Pref" fixed the sound for me.

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 05:39:14 AM »

I just built a new system tonight and have the same problems.  So, its a code issue as far as I am concerned.  One they should have caught.

olaf
Floyd Walker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 01:14:25 PM »

I had a bit of the choppy sound as well - cured it by kicking the sound quaity down to medium under the "Audio" tab of the options screen. Since I'm not all that much of an audiophile (I'm using $20 headphones anyway :lol: ) it didn't worry me to lose something I wouldn't notice.

NOW my big project is figuring out why there are a few missing, and some just flat-out wrong textures (pink/black checkerboard chainlink fences, a black building (and road in front of it) outside that is covered with fuzzy dots in multiple colors, and so on). I'm thinking I did a bum install (from retail CDs), because it's the same ones every time, regardless of gfx settings. -shrug- I'll figure it out sometime, I guess.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 05:05:29 PM »

Some people have also reported that defragging helps out too.  I defragged my drive last night.  I'm probably going to try bumping the sound quality down one notch and the dxdiag thing as well.  But I hope they get this issue addressed soon.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 08:18:10 PM »

Looking at the steam forums, this is a very widespread issue and from what I can gather, is going to have to be addressed with a patch.

Some of the suggestions have helped some people, but there are plenty of folks, myself included, that get no relief from any of them so far.

I have tried the game on three systems (one of them a completely clean install), all XP Pro SP2 and all some kind of ATI/AMD combo, but different mobo chipsets and soundcards.  All three systems have the stuttering sound.

olaf
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 08:21:44 PM »

This stuff did nothing for me.  Not a bit of change unless you count the addition of metalic sound.  Ahh well guess we will have to wait for a patch.

AttA
Programmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 08:50:44 PM »

Turning the audio quality down from high to medium fixed my stuttering.  DirectX sound acceleration is still full, using an old Soundblaster Live. My motherboard has a VIA chipset, and this VIA/Soundblaster combo has given me audio troubles in the past. Updating to the latest VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers has helped before, so that may be worth a try as well.

Hard drive was defragged before install, and graphics settings are all medium as well, but they always were and I still had stuttering before lowering the sound setting.

I sincerely hope those with sound problems find a fix soon - this game is so damn immersive (yup, best game ever!), and it's just ruined when the sound craps out in the middle of an intense or emotional scene.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 12:37:16 AM »

Ripped from somewhere else:

"Getting the game to load as much of its self into memory as possible also helps a lot; to do this, right click on Half-Life 2 in steam and select properties, then click launch options, put in "-heapsize 256000" without the quote marks. For the number, choose half your total system memory, in the examples case, its for a system with 512megs ram, you should use 512000 for systems with a gig of ram."

I run a gig of RAM and I did the recommendations listed - made a HUGE difference as far as the fabled 'Loading' screen goes. And the game seems to be a bit smoother as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: