http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:36:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portal:First Slice free to nVidia users  (Read 1933 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »

http://www.steampowered.com/nvidia/

Have a Geforce graphics card? Want to get a free copy of Portal: First Slice? Come on down!

The most recent Steam Hardware Survey shows more Steam gamers play on NVIDIA GeForce hardware than any other graphics platform. In an effort to further support this popular PC gaming configuration - Steam games plus NVIDIA hardware - Valve and NVIDIA have entered into an agreement to collaborate on development, distribution, events, and more.

Effective immediately, all NVIDIA gamers may receive a free copy of Portal: First Slice, a special version of the award-winning new game from Valve, by visiting www.steamgames.com/nvidia and "Taking the test." Steam will then auto-detect the presence of NVIDIA hardware and make Portal: First Slice available immediately, free of charge. To make it easy for all NVIDIA customers to redeem this offer, a link to the Steam offer will also be included in all NVIDIA drivers.

"More Steam gamers, including myself, play on NVIDIA hardware than any other GPU," said Doug Lombardi, vice president of marketing at Valve. "That's a testament to the company's long history of innovation and quality. By working together with NVIDIA to expand our development, distribution, and marketing efforts, we're increasing our ability to serve the millions of NVIDIA customers logging onto Steam and help us prepare for our next generation of content."

Throughout the coming year, the companies will also be working together to support competitive gaming events for Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 and will continue to work together to define and support the breakthrough features of tomorrow's games and graphics hardware.

"Valve's endorsement of our technology and tools is yet another example of how the world's leading gaming companies are working with NVIDIA," said Roy Taylor, vice president of content relations at NVIDIA. "Portal is the hottest new, award-winning title from Valve, and we're delighted that Valve will offer First Slice exclusively to GeForce customers."

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 07:57:13 PM »

So how long is the extended demo for a 2-hour game?  I've never liked when they call this sort of thing "a special version", as if they're trying to fool people into thinking it is some special edition and not just a demo. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:00:43 PM »

If I already have Portal, is there any reason to get this?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »

It's free?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »

maybe it's like the Half Life demo where's it's a level that's not in the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

That would be cool if there was some extra content inside of it smile

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »

Clicked on it, and nothing happened.  Did it again and it worked, but then said I already redeemed it on another account.  What'd I do wrong?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on January 09, 2008, 08:27:29 PM

Clicked on it, and nothing happened.  Did it again and it worked, but then said I already redeemed it on another account.  What'd I do wrong?

I assume you checked your Steam Games list?  maybe if you have the full version it doesn't show up.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 09, 2008, 08:04:09 PM

It's free?

Well yeah, but if it's nothing that's not in the full game, why bother?  I can just play Portal instead, and play more than one level or whatever.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 09, 2008, 08:29:50 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on January 09, 2008, 08:27:29 PM

I assume you checked your Steam Games list?  maybe if you have the full version it doesn't show up.

I click on the "I have Steam installed" button, IE/Firefox asks me if I want to run a program, I click yes/allow and then nothing. Nothing shows up in my Steam games either.

Edit: Got it. Exit Steam completely, then run the above link. Steam will log on and ask you if you want to install Portal.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:02:49 PM by Lee » Logged
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »

this offer is videocardist
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »

There are 19 "rooms" to do in the demo, and the first 5 or 6 took about 15 minutes to do.  I've never played the full version, but I'm guessing this is just the beginning of the game, and not anything new.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 10:32:53 PM »

I have the full version and the "First Slice" thing doesn't show up at all.  Which I guess is not a surprise, but they should have been more clear about it.  The description is somewhat confusing as to whether it's just a demo or not.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »

The cake is a lie.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 07:19:31 AM »

Still didn't work for me.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »

According to Cheap Ass Gamer's forum, "It also gives you Peggle Extreme, Half-Life 2 Death Match and Half-Life Lost coast for a free download as well."

I actually don't have HL2 DM, so that makes it worth it.  But people are reporting having a lot of trouble, so YMMV until it gets sorted out.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »

I downloaded all these today.

Portal was cute. I certainly liked the humor, and the puzzles were intriguing, although not at all challenging. I would like to play the whole thing, but if the demo is really 1/4 of the game (took me around 30 minutes) I am definitely not going to pay $20 to get the full thing. I really wish they would bundle this with just HL Ep 2, for $20-25 or something. The other odd thing for me is that Portal, while looking very plain jane (for a source game) ran worse than either HL2 or HL2 Ep1, which both look notably better. It wasn't exactly choppy, but I did dial down my rez a bit to make it more acceptable, which I didn't have to do for the aforementioned HL titles.

Peggle was also quite cute and fun. I blitzed through all the levels available in this "demo". I certainly like it, but I wouldn't pay for a game like this. Peggle with Portals was particularly amusing.

I already had Lost Coast, which is nothing special, and actually runs worse than - well all of the above source games I mentioned including Portal.

Haven't tried Death match yet.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 12:59:36 AM »

Well, I tried signing up just to get HL2 DM, but it says I've already activated the bonus on this computer.

False positive because I have Portal installed?  That's all I can think of.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 01:23:30 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 11, 2008, 12:59:36 AM

Well, I tried signing up just to get HL2 DM, but it says I've already activated the bonus on this computer.

I've received the same message and don't (and never have) have Portal installed.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 11, 2008, 01:23:30 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on January 11, 2008, 12:59:36 AM

I've received the same message and don't (and never have) have Portal installed.

it's there, lurking, waiting to pounce on you.....

Because I can,
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 05:09:15 PM »

Quote from: JCC on January 10, 2008, 11:32:40 PM

I downloaded all these today.

Portal was cute. I certainly liked the humor, and the puzzles were intriguing, although not at all challenging. I would like to play the whole thing, but if the demo is really 1/4 of the game (took me around 30 minutes) I am definitely not going to pay $20 to get the full thing. I really wish they would bundle this with just HL Ep 2, for $20-25 or something. The other odd thing for me is that Portal, while looking very plain jane (for a source game) ran worse than either HL2 or HL2 Ep1, which both look notably better. It wasn't exactly choppy, but I did dial down my rez a bit to make it more acceptable, which I didn't have to do for the aforementioned HL titles.

Peggle was also quite cute and fun. I blitzed through all the levels available in this "demo". I certainly like it, but I wouldn't pay for a game like this. Peggle with Portals was particularly amusing.

I already had Lost Coast, which is nothing special, and actually runs worse than - well all of the above source games I mentioned including Portal.

Haven't tried Death match yet.

Don't forget, Lost Coast was a tech demo to show off the shiney that the Source engine could pump out.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 04:22:25 AM »

The other odd thing for me is that Portal, while looking very plain jane (for a source game) ran worse than either HL2 or HL2 Ep1, which both look notably better. It wasn't exactly choppy, but I did dial down my rez a bit to make it more acceptable, which I didn't have to do for the aforementioned HL titles.
In some of the developer commentary for Portal, they mention that for each portal another room is rendered.  Since you can look through a portal and into another portal, there can be lots of rendering involved.  They did say they cut it off somewhere, but I forget where, but it was something high (like ten or more instances). 

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 05:37:00 AM »

Thanks for posting the news and the link.

At first I thought I wouldn't get to take them up on this because I have a new Ati card to replace the low powered nVidia card that came with this computer, but then I remembered that my old computer has an nVidia card, so downloading it now.

BTW, I had Lost Coast already, but it seems that did not hinder me from downloading Portal, Peggle, and DM
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:47 AM »

It's kind of funny how I feel shafted because this doesn't work for me, especially since I doubt I'd play the HL2 DM anyway.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »

Portal was cute. I certainly liked the humor, and the puzzles were intriguing, although not at all challenging. I would like to play the whole thing, but if the demo is really 1/4 of the game (took me around 30 minutes) I am definitely not going to pay $20 to get the full thing. I really wish they would bundle this with just HL Ep 2, for $20-25 or something.

Portal has an awesomeness curve that starts out shallow, but gets really really steep at the end.  I enjoyed the game the whole way through, but it gets consistently better and better, and the last level is quite extraordinary.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »

Yeah, a buddy of mine keeps screaming at me just to buy Portal, but I am being stubborn and waiting for it to fall to the $10 range. I have too much other stuff to play now anyway.

I did play some HL2: Death Match this weekend which was quite a bit of fun. Of course some of the yahoo's on microphones are annoying. Particularly the ones who are able to combine racial slurs and gay slurs into one word. +1 for creativity, - 1billion for being a dumbass.

-John

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »

Portal is an amazing gaming experience, but yeah you don't need to spend more than $10 on it if you're not going to buy the whole Orange Box.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 13, 2008, 05:11:42 PM

Portal is an amazing gaming experience, but yeah you don't need to spend more than $10 on it if you're not going to buy the whole Orange Box.

All I would be buying the OB for is Ep 2 and Portal, so if it drops to the $20 range then I'll get portal that way.

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: