http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:12:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Populous is coming to the DS!  (Read 1237 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »

At least according to Fragland it is:

http://www.fragland.net/news.php?id=17625

This is fantastic news, IMO.  I remember my girlfriend driving us to a store an hour away to pick up Populous.  Somehow, I got her over that, and she married me anyway.

Even though they're different genres, it got me thinking that if this trend continues, maybe we'll see Syndicate?!  Or the Crusader series?! 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:36:31 PM »

Fuck yeah!
I hope it actually comes out, though, unlike Disciples and Jagged Alliance 2.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:37:16 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on September 20, 2007, 03:36:31 PM

Fuck yeah!
I hope it actually comes out, though, unlike Disciples and Jagged Alliance 2.

Yeah, whatever happened to these?  Are they still in the works?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:44:53 PM »

Playing Populous now would be pretty boring.  Unless they did one of the sequels, which might be fun since I never played them.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »

Very cool, but please don't tease me with dreams of a new Syndicate game.  I can't handle it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 20, 2007, 03:44:53 PM

Playing Populous now would be pretty boring.  Unless they did one of the sequels, which might be fun since I never played them.

For me it's been long enough (18 years or so) since I played the 1st one I think it would be quite fun to try it again. Of course it may be one of those games that doesn't stand the test of time, but I loved Populous 1, 2, and whatever that other game they made that was a spin off.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »

warmonger i think it was called.

good memories from pop 1 on the genesis.  nothing like flooding your world to wipe out your enemy. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:30:25 PM »

Many would say the same for SimCity, yet the DS version sold well enough that they're dipping into the game game well again.

unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:54:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 20, 2007, 09:30:25 PM

Many would say the same for SimCity, yet the DS version sold well enough that they're dipping into the game game well again.

SimCity was different, however.  I kind of thought Populous was boring even back in the day: just a lot of walking around and stuff.  Now I was never really a fan of SimCity, but it's not really my type of game (I like games with endings, or at least goals).  I have friends who loved it, and it seems more like Civilization: the core game type is the actual draw- any improvements are generally just in the realm of "more" or "prettier".

Now if they actually improved upon the game (as I think SimCity did as well), that's another story.  But as for a straight port... I wouldn't get it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 09:56:39 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 12:07:26 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 20, 2007, 09:54:26 PM

I kind of thought Populous was boring even back in the day: just a lot of walking around and stuff. 

What?! You didn't like flatting land for an hour at the start of every game?! smile It did get a bit boring, but 2 was a lot of fun. It had a more of a Greek god thing going for it and the battles were pretty hot and heavy. Populous 1 was big because it's it graphics (although the PC version didn't look as good as the Amiga version), and it was very unique.

Now if they actually improved upon the game (as I think SimCity did as well), that's another story.  But as for a straight port... I wouldn't get it.

From what I read of SimCity, IIRC, they left stuff out and didn't improve the game at all. These PC ports have been pretty iffy so far, so I am trying not to get excited about the Warhammer game.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »

Yeah except for the fact that SimCity for the DS was crap and people were either disappointed or didn't buy it.  Any search of these forums will back that up.  I think there was maybe one thread on it?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 03:36:01 AM »

Wow thats really cool. I dont have a DS though frown Id love to see Powermonger on a handheld.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 03:39:25 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 21, 2007, 02:41:00 AM

Yeah except for the fact that SimCity for the DS was crap and people were either disappointed or didn't buy it.  Any search of these forums will back that up.  I think there was maybe one thread on it?

Gamerankings has it at 71%, and the two big sites each gave it 70%.  I can't speak for it myself.  As for the other part of your statement, clearly people did buy it, since that's why EA decided to release Populous, apparently.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »

Fidget has some screen shots of Populous DS. I love the idea, but I am not sure if I like what I am seeing so far. I think the screen is going to be too small to really enjoy it. Then again Populous showed a very small amount of land too, so either it won't be a big deal or it will show that the interface is way too outdated.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 05, 2008, 04:15:22 PM

Fidget has some screen shots of Populous DS. I love the idea, but I am not sure if I like what I am seeing so far. I think the screen is going to be too small to really enjoy it. Then again Populous showed a very small amount of land too, so either it won't be a big deal or it will show that the interface is way too outdated.

Plus back in the day of it's release a lot of people still had older PC's, which meant it was probably designed for 640x480. So they may not have to lose too much in bringing it to the DS. Personally, I can't wait to have my shaman chant up his clan again.   slywink thumbsup
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »

I think Populous was old enough that it was playing at 320x240. How old was it again?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 05, 2008, 07:38:38 PM

I think Populous was old enough that it was playing at 320x240. How old was it again?

I was thinking of the last installment released in the late 90's; Populous 3. You're right about the 2 prequels, they were released back in the day of CGA graphics. I loved the visual style of 3, but even most of the visual quality in that game could be delivered on a DS.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 05, 2008, 07:38:38 PM

It was so old, it was rendered in cave drawings.

It was so old, it's UPC number was 000-000-0001.

It was so old, this God game was actually played by Baby Jesus.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »

Actually Populous was an Amiga game, so it looked good even then. Tongue It looked considerably worse on a PC IIRC.

(Just talking about Populous fills with me all sort of emotions. Ahhh the day I brought my new Amiga home with a copy of Starflight and Populous. Best day of my gaming life.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:43:40 PM by Lee » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: