http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor PS3 Sales in North America.  (Read 2736 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 08:00:40 PM »

Anytime analysts lower sales projections its not a good thing. Obviously they have their own biases and they aren't the bottom line for Sony or anyone else, but it still isn't good to see the business world lowering sales forecast of your flagship product. I still think the problem is not that the product isn't good. The product is good, in fact its chock full of fun when you look at its parts, but it was marketed badly and it might just be a little too expensive for the market.
Logged
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1900


View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 08:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 16, 2007, 08:00:40 PM

Anytime analysts lower sales projections its not a good thing. Obviously they have their own biases and they aren't the bottom line for Sony or anyone else, but it still isn't good to see the business world lowering sales forecast of your flagship product. I still think the problem is not that the product isn't good. The product is good, in fact its chock full of fun when you look at its parts, but it was marketed badly and it might just be a little too expensive for the market.

In this case however I have to say that the analysts predictions were so far-fetched that it was hard to take seriously even before the PS3 launched. Does or did anyone really expect the PS3 to sell 16 to 20 million consoles in 2007? If Sony's internal projections shows them selling that many consoles then they are completely deluded.

However, giving Sony the benefit of the doubt, I think Sony is willing to give up a huge chunk of the video game market in order to secure a Blu-ray victory. To me, that makes more sense than Sony collectively losing their minds and thinking they can jack up prices by 100% and still do just as well as the PS2.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 08:09:42 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 08:40:34 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 16, 2007, 04:55:53 PM

Quote from: warning on January 16, 2007, 04:54:09 PM

What's weird is Gamestop had no slimline PS2's in stock.  I don't know if they are sold out or if they just don't plan on stocking them anymore.

I believe it, they sold extremely well recently.

Yup, sold out all over.
Many of the PS2 titles in development are not necessarily going to see US release.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2325


View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:41 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 16, 2007, 04:57:21 PM

Quote from: jblank on January 16, 2007, 04:50:36 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 16, 2007, 04:47:53 PM

Quote from: jblank on January 16, 2007, 04:35:59 PM

You are the second person in as many days that I have heard say they bought a PS2 rather than a PS3. Why do I get the feeling that Sony is gonna have to "86" the PS2 to help migrate people over to the PS3?

I don't follow your logic. As long as people are buying a Sony product, Sony is happy. Sony doesn't have to sell 100 million PS3s this year and the margins on PS2s and PS2 software are probably really good right now. 

Don't you think though that they would prefer people to be buying their flagship product? They have more than made their money back on the PS2, I would imagine they want to start getting the PS3's off the shelves, I know I would.

I think they'd be pretty happy with people holding off on buying a PS3 until the component prices start to drop and margins get better--as long as they are buying PS2 hardware and software and don't move to the 360 or Wii.

I understand your reasoning, but Sony is definitely not happy about the lack of sales. Developers look at the install base of a system and decide if it is worthwhile to greenlight a project. Considering the massive budget needed to create an Xbox 360 or PS3 game, coupled with the low install base of the PS3, you have an environment where developers may move away from the PS3. That is much larger trouble than the initial loss based on early hardware sales.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:49:11 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1900


View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 17, 2007, 01:46:41 AM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 16, 2007, 04:57:21 PM

Quote from: jblank on January 16, 2007, 04:50:36 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 16, 2007, 04:47:53 PM

Quote from: jblank on January 16, 2007, 04:35:59 PM

You are the second person in as many days that I have heard say they bought a PS2 rather than a PS3. Why do I get the feeling that Sony is gonna have to "86" the PS2 to help migrate people over to the PS3?

I don't follow your logic. As long as people are buying a Sony product, Sony is happy. Sony doesn't have to sell 100 million PS3s this year and the margins on PS2s and PS2 software are probably really good right now. 

Don't you think though that they would prefer people to be buying their flagship product? They have more than made their money back on the PS2, I would imagine they want to start getting the PS3's off the shelves, I know I would.

I think they'd be pretty happy with people holding off on buying a PS3 until the component prices start to drop and margins get better--as long as they are buying PS2 hardware and software and don't move to the 360 or Wii.

I understand your reasoning, but Sony is definitely not happy about the lack of sales. Developers look at the install base of a system and decide if it is worthwhile to greenlight a project. Considering the massive budget needed to create an Xbox 360 or PS3 game, coupled with the low install base of the PS3, you have an environment where developers may move away from the PS3. That is much larger trouble than the initial loss based on early hardware sales.


Perhaps 'happy' is the wrong word. 'Relieved' that gamers are still buying the PS2, instead of migrating to the 360. I think developers are definitely unhappy about the install base--it was reported that the reason for the pre-release price drop on the 20GB model in Japan was due to Square being furious over the price.

It'd be more of a concern for Sony though if the 360 was setting the sales charts on fire. It's not, and developers are going to have to hedge their bets with PS3 and 360 versions since so many next-gen consumers are still up for grabs.

Logged
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 217



View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 07:00:56 AM »

I saw my first used PS3 in a used book/software store in Japan today.  Selling for 44,000yen (it was a 20GB version).  Through my very unscientific observations, it seems the PS3 is not really doing very well here in Japan either.
Logged

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 03:34:45 PM »

c'mon PS3 price drop!  daddy needs a new PS3!
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9422



View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 02:00:37 AM »

Not to be a jerk, but you saw one used PS3 and say it's doing bad in Japan?

I'm surprised how much some cultures, the US included, put so much stock in the words, "I don't know much about this, but here's my opinion anyway..."
Logged
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 217



View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »

That wasn't my only unscientific observation, just one of them.   slywink
I could quote ending auction prices for the PS3 on the Yahoo Japan auction site to make a similar point, or mention that I've seen PS3 in stores but never a Wii, or I could link to various articles, but I was just very surprised to see one so soon in a used book/game store.

The good news for Sony is the PS3 is still killing the XBox360 here.   If you want next-gen graphics, the PS3 is really the only game in town.  It's just that Nintendo's DSL and Wii are in a different stratosphere when it comes to popularity right now.
Logged

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9422



View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 06:14:27 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.  It's just the way people go overboard on the PS3 bashing irks me.  I probably won't get the system until there's good software, and right now the library just isn't worth $600.

I'm kinda wondering if this latest trend in consoles might actually allow PCs to catch up in popularity, despite the initial mass exodus from PC gaming.

I'm also wondering when we'll see games ported to linux so that they can be run on a PS3 with linux installed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:17:35 AM by Turtle » Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2007, 07:17:50 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 18, 2007, 06:14:27 AM

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.  It's just the way people go overboard on the PS3 bashing irks me.  I probably won't get the system until there's good software, and right now the library just isn't worth $600.

I'm kinda wondering if this latest trend in consoles might actually allow PCs to catch up in popularity, despite the initial mass exodus from PC gaming.

I'm also wondering when we'll see games ported to linux so that they can be run on a PS3 with linux installed.

Honestly the way people go overboard looking for slights and protecting the PS3 is equally overboard.

We can all agree the PS3 isn't selling as well as analysts and Sony thought it would. We can all agree there are at least a fairly significant number of units sitting on shelves while the Wii is sold out everywhere and seems more popular. We can all agree that the PS3 has not truly made any significant strides on the 360's territory, and we can all agree that the PS3 is a well-built, full of cool tech machine that many of us will eventually own.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 45 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.053s, 2q)