http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:55:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: XBOX 360 - Report hardware problems or lack thereof  (Voting closed: December 03, 2005, 07:42:55 PM)
I have had no problems at all with my 360 console, hard drive, or power brick - 30 (90.9%)
I have had hardware failure due to the console - 3 (9.1%)
I have had hardware failure due to the hard drive - 0 (0%)
I have had hardware failure due to the power brick - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: XBOX 360 - Report problems or lack thereof  (Read 3454 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2005, 07:42:55 PM »

This poll is purely for hardware defects of the console - not any deficiency of included instructions, or your inability to read, lol.  Simply, has your machine crashed or frozen, or have you had any other problems that would qualify as console hardware failure? Please respond with problems with the console, hard drive, or power brick, not accessories such as controllers or memory cards.

Also, be sure to report if you've had NO problems!  Let's get an accurate percentage, at least for GT!  If the console was fine, and an accessory didn't work, please report NO problems.

Feel free to post information regarding accessory complaints though, so we can all be aware of what to watch for.

Thanks! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 08:10:57 PM »

I've had no crashes of anykind whatsoever. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 08:11:15 PM »

For the few people who might not be aware, it seems like a good number of people have solved lockup and crashing problems by making sure the 360's power brick is properly ventillated.  If you're having trouble with your unit, try elevating the power supply, perhaps even using a string to suspend it in mid-air so it can use its entire surface area for cooling.

-Autistic Angel
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 08:23:05 PM »

I've yet to experience any sort of lockups or crashes on my 360.

Although, if I was having problems with any electronic device and the advice I received was to suspend the power brick in air with a string, I'd be boxing it up to take back to the store as fast as I could.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 08:23:07 PM »

Great point, AA,

I forgot to say that I'm having no problems at all.  My 360 has been in two locations, each very well ventilated, and both the unit and the power brick have been lying on hard surfaces.

BTW, I once bought a broken PS2 to repair - and found out that it had a tiny stick jammed into the fan - keeping it from rotating.  The console would work great for 15-20 minutes, then just shut down.  That is not a bad thing - it was protection... I pulled the stick out and ended up with a perfect PS2.

Too bad it was the one I traded to Wookiee007, getting nothing in return.  :evil:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 08:45:41 PM »

So far, so good. No problems at all.

FWIW my 360 is on well ventillated component rack, and my brick is on another shelf on the same rack. Mostly that's because of space consideration but in light of my good luck (so far), it's stayin' where it is.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 09:47:05 PM »

Aside from the scratched disc I just ended up with, I'd had no problems at all.

But I posted those woes elsewhere...  The short of it, Madden 2006 has a bad scratch now all the way around that somehow was caused by the drive...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 09:51:25 PM »

JLu,

Just curious, are you running your 360 vertically or horizontally? I've heard about scratched discs being a problem and was wondering if it could have anything to do with the orientation of the box?  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 09:59:48 PM »

No problems what so ever

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 10:04:05 PM »

mytocles, I was running it horizontally...  

I was thinking back and it may have been my bad -- my controller batteries were low (already!?) so I was setting it up with the plug and play kit.  I think while I did this I may have nudged the system enough to make it not totally level.

Lesson; do not touch the 360 while a game is in the drive spinning.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 10:11:34 PM »

I have had all of the consoles in the last gen and have played hundreds and hundreds of times and never ever ever scratched a disc by the drive.  The fact that this thing can do it at all has me concerned to say the least.  And isn't the crazy thing supposed (I mean that's how it is in EVERY ad) to be used vertical?  I have even put two discs in my xbox by mistake and the thing made some weird noise but did zilch damage to either.    JLU, I find the fact that you are afraid to use the system as advertised and that it scratched your disc at all an issue.  Just my two cents.  But on with the poll.....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »

Well I wasn't afraid to use it vertial -- I figured that the chances of it scratching a disc with a vertical drive was higher than that if it were horizontal, so I used it as such...  Last generation I used my XBox this way too, and had never ever scratched a disc before.

Turns out that I may have been wrong for this one though...

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 11:34:27 PM »

no problems what so ever

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 12:18:09 AM »

I had some random boot problem the first time I turned it on, but nothing since.

I voted no.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 01:21:24 AM »

I've had 3 lock-ups in in over 40 hours of play, I leave the door to the entertainment center open when playing now and I haven't locked up since. The power brick is sitting on the tile behind the entertainment cetner in open air.

What I did notice when I had the lockups was that the disc was freakin HOT when I took it out of the drive. I play some serious marathon sessions when my wife is shopping or at work. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 04:12:46 AM »

The death of the 360 is greatly exaggerated.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 04:28:22 AM »

Well, I think it's great that you all have had success with yours, but I do not think for a minute that the guy was lying to me about the 7 of 22 being returned because of problems.  Maybe it was just one in a million that this particular store got so many bad.  Maybe the trucker was very rough with the batch when loading them.  But the fact remains, mine was among that batch.  Gulp.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 04:37:51 AM »

No issues at all.

gellar
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 05:12:19 AM »

No troubles at all here.
1 person I've spoken with at my store who says he is having some freezes, probably due to overheating.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 06:05:42 AM »

I think part of the success here is likely due to knowledge... the average consumer is just that - average.  We're clearly above average here!  Cool

Although, Coop - I'm a little surprised that you would even try to run this puppy in a closed entertainment center!  Don't be bringing down our average, now!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 07:51:47 AM »

How about those of us who consider the 360 defective due to their not being enough of them?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 03:52:38 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Although, Coop - I'm a little surprised that you would even try to run this puppy in a closed entertainment center!  Don't be bringing down our average, now!  :twisted:

Well that was before I knew it ran hotter than hell, every other console I've played with the door closed (on the cord), this is the first one that had a problem with it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 01:43:42 PM »

Are you all still glitch free?   I am shocked at what I am reading around the web about the problems people are having and if none of you 22 are having those problems then it is amazing to say the least.  

Other than me I only know one person in my town personally who got a 360 and his is off to be replaced and/or repaired this week.   I have read of people playing for a week and a half perfectly fine, then bam, crash city.  It's like you never know when it might happen.  

I am no troll and certainly don't want to sound like one, but I was so paranoid about the two I bought I could never get the courage to open either.   Just amazed none of you have had a crash, freeze, lockup, or something.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 01:48:52 PM »

No problems for me whatsoever.

I now know that spinning green circles on the wireless controller mean the battery is going.  Time to go out and get the plug and charge kit! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 02:08:10 PM »

Still working fine here as well

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005, 02:31:18 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Are you all still glitch free?   I am shocked at what I am reading around the web about the problems people are having and if none of you 22 are having those problems then it is amazing to say the least.  

Other than me I only know one person in my town personally who got a 360 and his is off to be replaced and/or repaired this week.   I have read of people playing for a week and a half perfectly fine, then bam, crash city.  It's like you never know when it might happen.  

I am no troll and certainly don't want to sound like one, but I was so paranoid about the two I bought I could never get the courage to open either.   Just amazed none of you have had a crash, freeze, lockup, or something.

Still not one crash/lockup/freeze or glitch for me! smile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2005, 03:00:49 PM »

That's friggin awesome.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 03:13:03 PM »

I played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 for 7 hrs straight the other day, and not one problem. Granted it's a regular Xbox game, but I have not had any issues.

I beat Kameo, and did not experience any issues with that as well.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »

Yeah, I have played some marathon session myself. Sunday I finished Kotor2 with a 10hr session and then went on to play some Geometry Wars.  

I Have my 360 under my TV stand with plenty of ventilation.   Awesome console

NiM$
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2005, 03:58:36 PM »

No problems.

LiveTAG: happydog
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2005, 06:50:29 PM »

Hey, those still reporting no issues can you tell me what your 'lot' number is.  It is on your barcode decal on the side of the box.  I am wondering if they will all have the same or if they are different if there is a pattern for those having no problems compared to those having them.  I am going to check with my friend who got his at EB that is broke and compare it with yours and one I can get.  The one I am looking at is 0544.  

Just trying to track down if there was a bad lot from a certain plant or something.  If my buddies is lot 0544 as well and all of yours is lot 0545 or something else, I may look elsewhere.  Anal I know, but hey, that's what I am.  smile

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2005, 12:53:40 AM »

I voted for a console failure due to a scratched disc.  I have no idea how the scratch happened as I stated in Jlu's thread so I went with the console.  mikeg, my console lot# is 0543.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2005, 04:30:47 AM »

Mine is 0543

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2005, 07:08:18 AM »

Yeah, same here.  I started out just trying all kinds of things, looking at each game, playing the first level of Kameo, etc.  Then, someone here turned into a Zuma addict and  has been stressing the console for many hours on end, day after day.  I finally beat my way back to it the last few days for some Quake action... and stlll no problems.

I have the store warranty, and two original Xboxes, plus I'm having a total blast with MediEvil on the PSP - so I'd not be devastated if I had to send it back.  Now when Oblivion comes out, maybe it'll be time to buy another 360, cz I can't take any chance on down time with that!  :shock:

But, so far - all good!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2005, 12:26:38 PM »

You all have 0543 and the ones I know of that have had problems are 0544.  Interesting to say the least.  I would love to get more data on this.   Wish I had checked the other one I had before I sold it.  Oh well.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2005, 02:04:47 PM »

Yeah, I would open this last one I have for sure except I have little confidence in the 'lot' mine came from.  I know it is covered by MS 90 warranty and all of that but after paying $500 for something I could not stand to have to send it in for any reason.  And the EB warranty I purchased for it is worthless.  What good is that warranty when they won't have anything to swap it for until Jan or Feb.  So, if more people report in that their GOOD 360 is from lot 0543 and not the lot mine is in (0544), then screw it, I am gonna ebay the thing and just wait.  Wish I had thought of all of this BEFORE I sold the other one.  You KNOW it came from the same lot as the one yours did.  That's just my luck.  

I would love to hear that some of you out there with perfectly good 360's have one from lot 0544.   Please report in.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2005, 04:50:47 PM »

Sorry Mike - I goofed on my last post (sometimes I forget there's a page 2!)

When I said "Yeah, same here." I was actually answering that mine has still been fine - not that it was a 0543.  Gulp... I have one from the  0544 lot.  I got mine at EB, maybe that means something?

It's still playing great though - it is extremely well ventilated as is the brick, and it's played tons of Arcade, a fair amount of time on game discs, and has not scratched any discs. Hopefully, if it does fail - it will wait until Feb. or March since I also have the EB store coverage.  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2005, 04:53:12 PM »

Hey, that is good to know though.  Hell, maybe I don't have a dud after all.  Might just crack this puppy open after all.  Thanks for getting back with me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2005, 06:04:28 PM »

Mine is from lot 0546
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2005, 12:59:33 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
You all have 0543 and the ones I know of that have had problems are 0544.  Interesting to say the least.  I would love to get more data on this.   Wish I had checked the other one I had before I sold it.  Oh well.

I have a 0543 console and I'm declaring mine broken to Microsoft - the unit constantly overheats within 30 minutes if I decide to play any 360 games on it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: