http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:18:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should I do?  (Voting closed: May 10, 2005, 06:45:02 PM)
Buy the PSP - 7 (21.2%)
Save the money for the Xbox 360 - 11 (33.3%)
Just save the money - 15 (45.5%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll question: Would you buy the PSP?  (Read 1259 times)
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2005, 06:45:02 PM »

I'm coming into some unexpected cash (WooHoo!). Not a fortune, but enough to get a PSP and maybe a couple of games. But there's a debate raging inside my head (and not the usual voices  :? ).

My rational side is telling me that I don't need one (true), that I should put the money away, maybe save it up for my inevitable Xbox 360. But my irrational (and platform agnostic) side is telling me that I want one (true) and that I won't miss money I wasn't expecting.

Mostly I'm a PC/Xbox type. I like RPGs, TBS, shooters, action/adv, and football (only) sports games. I've never been much of a handheld gamer. I did have a GBC for awhile, but I got rid of it. Is this new platform compelling enough for someone like me? Whaddya think?

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 06:46:08 PM »

I have a different vote...wait two more weeks.  In two weeks you should know the price structure for the 360 and can make a more informed decision.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:08:41 PM »

Excellent advice KD. Thanks! I might have done that anyway, but I never really considered that aspect.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:25:04 PM »

Well, I got the console not only for what it can do now (play games, music, and movies) but for what it might become in the future (a wireless gaming platform that could be used for some more 'unlegit' uses like playing some other console classics).

Even though I don't do much portable gaming, I'm pleased with what I have right now (Lumines and Wipeout, along with a 1GB card that'll hold all the movies and music I want).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 07:50:36 PM »

Would I buy one?  Sure- already did and don't regret it.

Would I recommend you buy one- based on your preferences probably not.  For a PC/Xbox type I don't think it has much to offer you yet.  The RPGs that are likely to come out for it probably aren't what you're expecting coming from the PC/Xbox and there aren't any TBS games announced for it yet.  The only shooter announced so far is one from Konami and I'm a bit skeptical how well any shooter is going to control on the system with only one analog stick.  Football- Madden 2006 for the PSP is all but a given.  

Seems to me you're better off waiting for an Xbox 2 which is sure to provide you with more games in your preferred genres.  Especially if you're not a handheld gamer.  If you're not looking for portability you'd be better off saving a few bucks and picking up a PS2 if you don't already have one.  At a minimum do like KD and wait until E3 to see what titles are announced for both systems.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »

I'm in the same boat, I'm primarily a PC/X-Box gamer.  I've had a GBA and sold it since I didn't play it much.  I had a PSP for a couple weeks and took it back.  In addition to the annoying dead pixels I just didn't play it or use it much.  To me it was great sounding on paper but when I got it I was mostly underwhelmed.  Personally I'm waiting for the X-Box 360.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 07:12:42 PM »

Thank you all for the responses and votes.

I think I'm gonna wait'n'see....

That was a close one though(!).

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »

You'll also have a good idea of the games coming for PSP - its probably best. smile

I'll go play MLB and Hot Shots now.   :twisted:  :twisted:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 03:18:43 PM »

I have a PSP, and I say wait. It just isnt worth it right now. I could complain about it as much as the DS. Wait. It may be worth it soon though, it has so much potential smile.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 06:30:51 PM »

Not sure what to tell you...I'm not a console gamer at all, yet I was drawn to the PSP and ending up buying one. I got Lumines, Metal Gear Acid, and Wipeout Pure. Lumines is a sublime puzzle game where your gameplay sort of helps make the music as you go. I've only scratched the surface of MGA, but aside from some minor things, the presentation is stunning. Wipeout has pretty to look at and a good bit of fun so far, thought (for me at least) it takes some time to get a feel for the controls.

I think the future is going to be bright for this device. The screen is just amazing. I find it hard to believe how good it looks. I'm hoping there will be some exciting announcements at E3 that will give a better sense of whhat the future holds. As it is, I already have a great deal of interest in some other puzzle games (Smart Bomb, Mercury, Sticky Balls) and Hot Shots seems like it ought to be worth a look. If/When Gran Turismo PSP gets officially announced, I'll probably be in heaven.

I guess my thought is for you to take a look at the games that are out or on the near horizon. If there are several that look good to you, it might be wrth your while.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 08:15:31 PM »

I'm still terrified of the dead pixel issue.  I like the PSP and think it looks fantastic, but I'm still waiting for more games.  When I buy one it will probably be from one of our forum members that can guarantee one in good shape with no dead pixels.

In fact I almost jumped on the one listed this week, but I don't see dropping the $ for something I'm not ready to use.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 03:49:40 PM »

I haven't noticed any dead or stuck pixels here, but you can't have mine biggrin
BTW, Wipeout Pure is probably a good game to check with, because you can change the menu screen to white (default) or black.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: