http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 03:18:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: EQ2 or WOW  (Voting closed: October 12, 2004, 02:53:31 AM)
I'll play whichever comes out first - 7 (7.4%)
EQ2 - 19 (20%)
WOW - 69 (72.6%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: EQ2 or WOW  (Read 12953 times)
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 02:53:31 AM »

Let's see a show of hands for the fanboys.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 02:58:51 AM »

Having betaed both titles, I chose WoW. Will I actually buy it (or EQ2)? Good question.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 03:00:57 AM »

After playing both, WoW gets my vote.  I can't really explain what I dislike about EQ2, it just wasn't fun enough to hook my interest.  Maybe it's because I put so much time into the original EQ.

WoW, on the other hand, has a fresh, viberant world and (So far, based on beta) a dev team much more willing to listen to the community.

Love or hate SoE, you have to admit, they aren't really known for their great customer relations.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:25:01 AM »

WoW, all the way.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 03:25:28 AM »

Sorry, I still refuse to pony up on a monthly basis for a game that I can't play enough to get my money's worth.

None!

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 03:30:52 AM »

World of Warcraft.  EQ2 would run like ass on my system.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 03:58:46 AM »

Overwhelming support for WOW over EQ2.

Has YK voted yet?
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 04:01:01 AM »

EQ2 wows me, already preordered a copy for me and my wife.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 04:07:59 AM »

About EQ2 running like crap on your system:  

You're probably right!

My brother has the following system:

Althon 3400+ 64 bit processor
1gb of ram
Geforce 6800 GT

And he had the slide the settings back in order to get smooth gameplay.  And these aren't even the really graphically intense areas like you see in some gameplay videos.

(Neither one of us is participating in the actual beta.  But he has a friend who is, and as such, had a chance to try it out.  And since he's my brother...)

If I added a sig, would you read it?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 04:18:53 AM »

Yeah, I'm on a laptop with:

Intel Centrino 1.8GHz Core (performs more in the 2.4-2.8 GHz range)
Radeon Mobility 9700
512MB 566MHz RAM  (wish I had a Gig...)

So, there's basically no way EQ2 is going to run acceptably for me.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 04:27:45 AM »

WoW all the way, even though I've been playing EQ off and on since release date (good God - almost 6 years now?! wtf is wrong with me?!).
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 04:45:05 AM »

Here are the official mimimum system requirements for EQ2.

-Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
-Processor: 1GHz or greater
-RAM: 512 MB
-Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of texture memory
-Sound Card: DirectSound compatible audio hardware
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 04:52:19 AM »

Quote from: "Raven"
Here are the official mimimum (to run like shit) system requirements for EQ2.

-Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
-Processor: 1GHz or greater
-RAM: 512 MB
-Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of texture memory
-Sound Card: DirectSound compatible audio hardware

Fixed slywink

Why isn't there an option for neither?  I've been in the WoW beta since early on, I like it a lot, but I'm not sure I want to pay $X per month to play it when I have other computer and videogames to play that don't cost me a thing per month (other than the $50 yearly Live bill).

I never played Evercrack and I would be quite scared about the NDA (non-disclosure agreement) that SOE still has on EQ2.  We're getting close to the supposed release, don't you think some info should be leaked out.  At least with WoW word is getting out there because Blizzard has been a little more open with people talking about it.

I'm not saying EQ2 will suck, but SOE hasn't had the best track record lately *cough*Star Wars Galaxies*cough*

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 05:03:46 AM »

I never played Evercrack and I would be quite scared about the NDA (non-disclosure agreement) that SOE still has on EQ2. We're getting close to the supposed release, don't you think some info should be leaked out. At least with WoW word is getting out there because Blizzard has been a little more open with people talking about it.

I agree with all of that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 06:23:45 AM »

WoW for me.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 06:59:09 AM »

EQ2 is getting stomped. I wonder how much this has to do with SOE's suffocating NDA.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 08:44:11 AM »

I voted for WoW. paranoid
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 11:50:45 AM »

I voted WoW.

I'm planning on playing WoW for years to come.  Dead serious. All my PC and console purchases will be taking a huge dive.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 12:44:40 PM »

I voted EQ2. My friend just got into beta so I've had an opportunity to compare the two titles first-hand. EQ2 wins my money by a mile. In fact, it really boggles my mind that people think WoW is so much better. The only explanation I have is that a) there is more info on WoW, b) they simply don't like EQ/SOE and that is swaying their opinion.

That's not to say WoW isn't fun, because it is. I really enjoyed my time with WoW, but it's not the game for me. It's too simplistic and not quite innovative enough. There were so many things about EQ2 I like better - the particle system, the voices, the combat, the crafting, the graphics, the sound.

I don't really care which game "wins." I just want the game that is the better fit for me and the one I have the most fun with. EQ2 is that game.

I also don't mind the steep system requirements for EQ2. The game runs GREAT on a rig identical to mine, and I like to see companies push the limit without worrying about catering to the lowest common denominator.

Oh, and to tiny ogre who has probably been watching me pimp EQ2 and smacking his forehead, I certainly mean no offense. WoW is going to sell a gazillion copies, it's a GREAT game, and I've already talked a couple of friends who didn't like EQ and are more casual MMOers into pre-ordering it. It's not the best fit for me, but I would not at all be surprised if it becomes the reigning king of MMOs.
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 12:45:45 PM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
I voted for WoW. paranoid

:wink:

I voted EQ2 but in reality I'll buy both and see which one sticks.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 01:16:41 PM »

Actually, EQ2 sounds more casual than WOW.

Blizzard just announced that WOW would have raids that the entire server can jointly participate in, at the same time.

EQ2 raids are capped at 24, correct?

Add GVG instanced battle grounds (with a new honor system), and WOW has an even wider variety of large scale events to enjoy.

And I don't mind so much that WOW will feature server wide raids, instead of completely focusing on more conventional mini raids.

Sure, it's a fairly sophisticated way of doing things, but I appreciate a mmorpg that doesn't appeal to the lowest common denominator.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 01:22:53 PM »

Actually, EQ2 is more casual than WOW. Blizzard just announced that WOW would have raids that the entire server could participate in, at the same time. EQ2 raids are capped at 24, correct?

Correct. The EQ2 raids were intentionally capped to avoid the problems of the old EQ1 raids that took forever to organize, bad lag, etc. So good luck with that in WoW  Tongue . Guild size also has limitations, though not caps - the larger the guild, the more money and prestige it takes to keep it going. So the average guild size will likely be smaller.

Lower raid/guild size doesn't necessarily equal "more casual" though. The encounters in EQ2 are designed to be very tough and will take a lot of teamwork between parties and party members.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 01:27:03 PM »

Yes, I'm sure those micro raids will be quite epic for the 24 people involved.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 01:28:34 PM »

Why isn't there an option for both? smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 01:59:29 PM »

Not being in the beta of either, I too am getting both (hopefully they don't come out at the same time) to see which I prefer.  Also, the game that my friends pick will also drive my preference.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 02:04:59 PM »

I still reserve final judgement, but more than anything I prefer Blizzard's way of making games to Sony's... in addition to the fact that in the little time I've played WoW I have found it most delectable.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 06:30:12 PM »

Everquest 2 just announced that the legendary Christopher Lee will be adding 4 hours of dialogue to the game, and luscious babe Heather Graham will be adding 300 lines of dialogue.

Take THAT WoW!    biggrin
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 07:03:45 PM »

You know, when I play single-player RPGs, I almost always turn on subtitles and skip past the spoken dialogue.

Why would I want it in an online game that's already so graphically overdone that it would bring my PC to its knees?

WoW for me - thanks to the stress test, I know it will run quite well on my old rig (1.6 gHz P4, Radeon 9600 Pro) and it's fun as hell.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 07:31:16 PM »

Their NDA is definitely hurting them...unless of course its there because people would be slamming the game otherwise.

I think the WoW 'beta' will prove to be the most successful marketing campaign for an MMO ever.

olaf
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 07:45:07 PM »

I've not played either, however currently EQ 2 excites me more than WOW, not sure why and tbh i'm not buying either till i've played it. My rule for MOGs now is they must have a trial before handing over the readies.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 08:02:02 PM »

Played the WoW stress test and I am definitely going to pick that up.  I haven't tried EQ2 yet so I am pretty biased.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »

Sticking with CoH, here.  :wink:

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 08:27:16 PM »

So has anybody heard any inkling of when the WoW Open Beta signups will start?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 09:11:38 PM »

One of the gaming sites posted a news story yesterday about the open beta starting Thursday.

Obviously, that was crap - but it makes me suspect the signups will start on Thursday.  Didn't the stress test signups start on a Thursday?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 09:43:47 PM »

Voted for EQ2 here. YK we should hookup when the game is released; so we can explore the world together. I'll be rolling a female avatar, you can touch her butt all you want but we're not getting married. I'm not quite gay yet.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2004, 10:08:24 PM »

Voted for EQ2 here myself.  Im SURE I'll play both but EQ2 entrigues me more.  I will say I am a little concerned about how it will run on my system.  I'd love to hook with YK and his new girlfriend in game as well!

morlac00 on PSN
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »

WoW for multiple reasons.

1. I was more impressed with WoW from what I saw at E3 this year, and having participated in the stress test beta - it was easy to see what high production values blizzard has instilled in the experience.

2. I'll have more friends in WoW.

3. WoW has the rest state which gives rewards to the casual gamer like me, so I'll have a chance to keep up in level with my more devoted friends

4. And most importantly - my friends gave me EQ as a wedding present and my wife is still bitter about me playing that game during the first year of our marriage. So it'd be a hard sell.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2004, 11:11:12 PM »

WoW.  I had never played a MMORPG before (the closest was text based MUDs many, many years ago)  but I was curious and for the stress test the price was right.  I liked it.  So EQ2 may be a much better product but I know I liked WoW.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2004, 11:39:20 PM »

WoW for me also.  The art style, while simplistic, is very appealing to me.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2004, 12:14:04 AM »

Their NDA is definitely hurting them...unless of course its there because people would be slamming the game otherwise.

Having finally played the game for myself, I can assure you that's not the case. I was taking a bit of a risk defending the game as much as I have the past few weeks without having seen it, but tonight I played for about four hours and any fears I had have subsided.

Another reason behind my EQ2 bias that I haven't gone into real depth about is that one of my best friends and many of his family members who were die-hard EQ players are going to be playing EQ2. I'll finally get a chance to get in on the ground floor with a group of dedicated players who WILL get me to 50 and let me experience some high level content for a change.

You guys who want to group though, I'd definitely like to meet up in game (I'll pass on the butt touching.)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: