http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 11:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Point and Click Adventure Games  (Read 1856 times)
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:03:40 AM »

I am looking for any recommendations on point and click adventure games. One of my all time favorite games is Blade Runner, and I am in the mood to play a game like this again (have been for a while). Old or New.

It can be for computer or console. I am posting in computer games because I think most games like this would be on computer, but I might be wrong.

thanks for any recommendations.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:13:57 AM »

One of my older favorites in Sanitarium. I played it at around the same time as two that many claim as favorites, Grim Fandango & The Longest Journey, and liked it better than both of those, but I think it'll look really ugly these days.. For something a bit more recent and modern looking, I loved the first of the Broken Sword games (Shadow of the Templars), which has been remastered. There are also some recent indie titles like Machinarium.

It is worth mentioning that are some great titles on Nintendo DS and, more recently on iOS.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:11 AM »

games I haven't gotten to play yet but have heard good things about:

Secret Files Tunguska
Secret Files Puritas Cordis
Lost Horizon
Blackwell Chronicles (it's a series)
Gemini Rue

now I never played Blade Runner, so I cannot compare anything to it but like I said I've heard good things about those.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:58 AM »

Martian Memorandum.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:07:28 AM »

I was surprised how much I've enjoyed all of the Broken Sword series. You can get all of them on GOG.COM for cheap. The 3rd and 4th (The Sleeping Dragon and Angel of Death) are 3D and look the best visually, but unfortunately they're not entirely  point 'n' click and really need a control pad to be played effectively. The Sleeping Dragon can be played on console, but it was only on the Xbox and IIRC it isn't BC.

I'll 2nd Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey, both great point 'n' click games. I also really enjoyed Syberia. I really can't think of any game that's quite like Blade Runner though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:16:07 AM by kronovan » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »

Cross-posted from Octopus Overlords:

Blade Runner is one of my all time favorites too. Sadly, I can't think of any other point and click adventures with the same kind of game design behind it. You'd actually come closer playing Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain than trying to replicate (pun intended) the experience with other point and click adventures.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

I feel like Blade Runner would be tough to play today.  The graphic style was interesting at the time, but would probably be hard on the eye today.

Under a Steel Sky should be mentioned, of course.  It's free a lot of places and would certainly scratch the Blade Runner itch, but it's definitely a straightforward point-and-click, not innovative like BR.

I absolutely have to recommend To the Moon , though.  Easily my favorite recent adventure game and probably my favorite game of last year.  It's simply fantastic and should not be missed.

That said, I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it is amazing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »

Machinarium
Jolly Rover
the Telltale Games:  Monkey Island, Sam and Max
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »

Good old adventure classics more or less from the same mold as the Blade Runner adventure game:

The five Tex Murphy adventure games Mean Streets, Martian Memorandum, Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer. The two first may be a bit old and iffy now; I would probably skip those today. Among the five in the series, I particularly liked Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive, both had great stories and some good humor. Chris Jones is wonderful as the classic detective with loads of bad luck. The last game in the series ended in a cliffhanger, but luckily they later added a radio theater show in six parts that continued the tale.

The old Beneath a Steel Sky by the makers of the Broken Sword series is also very recommended, and you can even play it for free today in ScummVM. Another one by the same company is In Cold Blood which I also thought was marvelous. There was even one point inside a dilapidated underground lab where the game managed to jump-scare me quite effectively. I never expected that one.

Rise of the Dragon also had that Blade Runner atmosphere, and I recently watched a video walkthrough of it just for the nostalgia.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:05:33 PM by Chordian » Logged
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »

I haven't had time to check them out yet but Chris Jones and Aaron Conners have worked on three newish games.
http://www.bigfinishgames.com/games
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »

I'm partial to Syberia and Syberia II - though they are a bit pricey on Steam.  Though it sounds like it is the original and a sequel, they are actually one big game that got broken into two pieces.  I just loved the story and really enjoyed playing through it.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »

Phantasmagoria, as well.

There is the Myst games, and, while not the same exact interface, Anachronox is a fantastic (if a little buggy) game very much in-line with Blade Runner.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on February 28, 2012, 04:08:31 PM

I haven't had time to check them out yet but Chris Jones and Aaron Conners have worked on three newish games.
http://www.bigfinishgames.com/games

I played bits of the first two there.  They are way more Hidden Object than Adventure.  I personally don't have a problem with HOG, but I was expecing more.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 03:10:49 AM »

Quote from: Chordian on February 28, 2012, 01:53:19 PM

Another one by the same company is In Cold Blood which I also thought was marvelous. There was even one point inside a dilapidated underground lab where the game managed to jump-scare me quite effectively. I never expected that one.

Ooh In Cold Blood. Now there's a game that comes close to capturing the Blade Runner vibe. I'd forgotten about that one.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:18 AM »

I like many posted above... Zork: Grand Inquisitor was another fun one a long time ago... The Runaway games were decent if not great as more recent games...
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »

If you're looking for a modern point 'n click adventure, try Runaway 3 (not 1 or 2, they suck), or the incredible 'The Whispered World'.
The theme is very different from Blade Runners, but they are excellent adventures nonetheless.

If you really feel the need for a "bleak future"-kind of game, I think the latest Deus Ex game is fantastic, and it feels somewhat like Bladerunner. It's not an adventure though obviously.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on February 29, 2012, 03:17:18 AM

I like many posted above... Zork: Grand Inquisitor was another fun one a long time ago... The Runaway games were decent if not great as more recent games...

All of the latter day Zork games are on GOG.

Also, did I mention TO THE MOON?!

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:19 AM »

If you're into the Space Quest games, I highly recommend playing Space Quest: Incinerations, a 3D animated fangame. It's really quite good.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 03:18:12 AM »

Thanks for all the game recommendations. I can't believe I have missed all these games, guess I was off on some other game genre.

I think I will start with a classic, Grim Fandango and do Heavy Rain at the same time followed by Machinarium on the ipad. But man am I excited for some of the others I have seen like siberia, tex murphy and to the moon. So many games!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: