http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 05:39:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Help! PSP or DS (yes, this question again!)  (Read 1770 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2007, 11:34:17 PM »

Ok, so no one had a used psp for sale.  So now I'm thinking a DS is less expensive and doesn't have memory cards to purchase, and the games are cheaper (I think).  But I also think the PSP has more games now that I would want than when I last owned one. 

Do you think buying a used DS or PSP system from Gamestop/EB is a good idea?  If not, I'm more likely to pick up a DS, even though I feel it's more kid oriented.  The games I saw that look interesting for the DS were:
-NY Times Crossword
-Metroid Hunters
-Scourge
-Advanced Wars DS
-Metroid pinball
-New Super Mario
-Super Mario 64
-Touch of the Dead
-Res Evil
-Phoenix Wright
-Tomb Raider Legend (it's different than the console versions, right?)
-Etrian Odyssey

To name a few, and I'm not even sure if I want them all.  Recommendations? 

Now although the PSP is more expensive and requires buying a memory card, there are many games out now that I want, with more on the way.  I basically want low maintenance games to kick back and relax with, which is why I'm partial to the DS, but maybe it's my perception.  For the PSP I was considering:
-Daxter
-Metal Gear Solid
-Syphon Filter
-Socom
-Killzone
-Pirates (but I have it for the PC)
-Rachet &  Clank
-V Tennis
-The Warriors
-Field Commander
-Lego Star Wars 2
Maybe others, but there are many on the way that look good. 

I don't know, I'm rambling so I apologize.  I guess I'm looking for some guidance.  I might not even get either and get a better video card and/or monitor for my PC instead.  (I just got some Best Buy gift cards that are burning a hole in my pocket.  Also my mother in law from England is coming to stay with us for two weeks this summer and she stays in my computer room/office, which is another reason I wanted a handheld again to retreat into my bedroom.  Help, I'm so confused!   
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:41:09 PM »

I bought a used PSP from EB and it was in perfect condition.  No scratches or anything.  Just ask them if you can look at it before buying it.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 11:47:26 PM »

Not very helpful advice: If you had have just kept your last PSP then you wouldn't be in this situation right now. I can't understand how anybody buys a console, decides to get rid of it and then buys one all over again!  I don't play my PSP very much nor my PS2 at all, but the very thought of selling either of them has never entered my head!  This isn't a personal criticism of you, Vinda-it's just that this kind of thing happens all the time on these forums.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:20:44 AM »

I'm the poster boy for buying and selling and re-buying consoles.  Playstation 2 - owned twice, Gamecube - owned twice, Xbox - owned twice, Xbox360 - owned twice, DS - owned once (for a week), PSP - owned three times.  I only have an xbox360 now for consoles.  I've never left PC gaming ever throughout all of this.  For me it's easier to sit at the computer and load something up.  The 360 is on the main tv in the living room, so I never get a chance to play it.  This is why I thought a DS or PSP would suit my current needs and wants. Although, I might get a good lcd computer monitor, like a 22-inch, and then hook the 360 up to the computer.  But this still limits me when my mother in law is here for two weeks.  Sure I can survive for two weeks with no game play, but I'm not really a tv watcher.  I lift weights, play games, and watch some shows in my down time, which is very limited as I have a 5 and 3 yr old at home.  Back on topic, I won't get rid of this xbox360 as many new PC games will not run on my rig, so I plan on playing things like Bioshock on it. 

So... any advice on the handhelds?  icon_smile
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:46:17 AM »

I went for the DS just because there are/will be more of the type of games I like on the system (turn based RPG or strategy). My suggestion would be to look not just at the current releases but also at the games on the horizon for each system.

As for getting a used system from EB, I bought a used GBA a couple of years back and had no problems with it (though the sales clerk didn't give me the charger until I mentioned something about it). Of course, if the difference in price isn't much, I'd probably stick with a new unit.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 12:54:55 AM »

Well Pirates for the PSP is definitely a sweet game-I got so addicted to that game.  The graphics are great and apparently it was far superior to the Xbox version.  I highly recommend it.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:02:08 AM »

In Japan, half of all games released recently were for the DS.  So when you wonder which one will have more games... just remember that, and the prediction that something like 85% of all people in Japan are being predicted to own a DS.

As for the PSP, it has a lot going for it as a multimedia device, and it's amazing what you can do with a hacked PSP.  Also, the newer version is being predicted to have a faster UMD drive as well as a few gigs of on-board flash memory (but obviously everyone will have to wait and see about hacking it).

Personally, I'll be waiting for the new version, and if they manage to hack the firmware, I'll get one.  I'm really digging having a portable system (the DS), and I wouldn't mind having a PSP to play movies or PS1 games on.  Or PSP games, of course.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 01:03:51 AM »

I am buying a PSP vinda, likely tomorrow. If there is an FYE in your area, try that for a 140$ PSP after rebate. I have only once owned a handheld, a GBA that I had for about 6 weeks that I never ever used-but there are 10 solid games I want on PSP now, a bunch of PS1 rpgs to play, and the likelihood that you can sell a modified PSP when the slim comes out for only a minor loss and upgrade when you are ready to. But buy one now that can be downgraded and DO NOT upgrade it to 3.5. YOu will thank me later when they get rare and people want to buy them.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 01:21:02 AM »

Honestly, they both have such big libraries at this point nearly any gamer would be hard pressed to not be able to find games they would want for either system. I say buy the system that has more games you're interested in.

Whichever you buy, make sure you pick up Puzzle Quest!  icon_cool

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 01:24:58 AM »

That FYE deal sounds good, but my gift cards are for best buy icon_frown.  I'm really in the mood for some xcom style turn-based games.  I know there was one for the GBA that works on the DS, but I've read mixed things about it.  The PSP has D&D Tactics comng out soon, and LoTR Tactics (which I owned and never made it past the first level).  That newish DS game, Etrain Odyssey looks cool, but I honestly don't know if it would keep my interest.  I love the idea of a touch screen and pen - it's so gadgety!  I already have a video ipod for movies and music, even though the PSP screen is bigger.  Man, I hate decisions like this!  So many pros and cons.  And after all this, I'll get one of these things and end up selling it when I need money for more PC games! 

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 01:31:36 AM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on June 22, 2007, 01:24:58 AM

That FYE deal sounds good, but my gift cards are for best buy icon_frown.  I'm really in the mood for some xcom style turn-based games.  I know there was one for the GBA that works on the DS, but I've read mixed things about it.  The PSP has D&D Tactics comng out soon, and LoTR Tactics (which I owned and never made it past the first level).  That newish DS game, Etrain Odyssey looks cool, but I honestly don't know if it would keep my interest.  I love the idea of a touch screen and pen - it's so gadgety!  I already have a video ipod for movies and music, even though the PSP screen is bigger.  Man, I hate decisions like this!  So many pros and cons.  And after all this, I'll get one of these things and end up selling it when I need money for more PC games! 

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far.

There is a warhammer 40k tactical TBS coming out for PSP sometime early next year FYI-also, think of the PSP as being able to do all that stuff with games AND MORE-movies, tv shows, ps1 emu, music, etc.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 01:33:39 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2007, 01:31:36 AM

There is a warhammer 40k tactical TBS coming out for PSP sometime early next year FYI-also, think of the PSP as being able to do all that stuff with games AND MORE-movies, tv shows, ps1 emu, music, etc.

That game is PSP and DS.

Having owned both, I would easily take my DS over the PSP, just better games out for it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 01:46:49 AM »

Having owned both, I would easily take my PSP over the DS, just better games out for it.

(It's too easy)  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 01:53:10 AM »

Etrian Odyssey, the Final Fantasies (and I believe a FF Tactics coming), Pokemon, Advanced Wars, a Zelda coming, Mario Brothers, Mario Cart just to name a few.

I will get a PSP again eventually since they do seem to have some good RPGs/tactic games coming, but there has yet to be a game that was a system seller for me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 02:07:42 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 22, 2007, 01:33:39 AM

That game is PSP and DS.

Having owned both, I would easily take my DS over the PSP, just better games out for it.

I never said it wasn't.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 02:08:47 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2007, 02:07:42 AM

That game is PSP and DS.

I never said it wasn't.

Well then, it's not a reason to get a PSP.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 02:09:17 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 22, 2007, 01:53:10 AM

Etrian Odyssey, the Final Fantasies (and I believe a FF Tactics coming), Pokemon, Advanced Wars, a Zelda coming, Mario Brothers, Mario Cart just to name a few.

I will get a PSP again eventually since they do seem to have some good RPGs/tactic games coming, but there has yet to be a game that was a system seller for me.

FF 1&2 remakes coming in July, Dissidia, an all new game later this year, Tactics remake coming next year, Brave story in july, etc. The PSP lineup is plenty healthy. I think the choice all comes down to what type of games you want to play that differentiate the system. Except for a few games you listed, there isn't a damn thing that is interesting to me on the DS-but maybe Vinda likes the Nintendo style first party games, not sure.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 02:10:24 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 22, 2007, 02:08:47 AM

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2007, 02:07:42 AM

That game is PSP and DS.

I never said it wasn't.

Well then, it's not a reason to get a PSP.

Sure it is. The graphics will definitely be better, the sound will likely be improved, the screen quality is a plus, etc. It will be the technically superior port of the game. It's a reason.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 02:14:39 AM »

I would take Puzzle Quest on the DS over the PSP. biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 02:21:57 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 22, 2007, 02:14:39 AM

I would take Puzzle Quest on the DS over the PSP. biggrin

Yeah, I honestly have so little experience playing DS games that I wouldn't know how that works-if you own both I would totally be up for recommendations for PSP-really I am not doing my typical  NIntendo bashing-I think the DS is a genius little machine, I just don't care for the first party games.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 02:23:02 AM »

That FYE deal sounds good, but my gift cards are for best buy icon_frown.  I'm really in the mood for some xcom style turn-based games....  That newish DS game, Etrain Odyssey looks cool, but I honestly don't know if it would keep my interest.

Etrian Odyssey rocks. Probably my favorite game of the year (and it kept my interest for many, many hours). But if you're not into slow moving, Wizardyesque RPGs, then it probably wouldn't be your thing.

As for the other point, though it's very likely you've played them, one of the reasons I bought a DS is for the upcoming (whenever that might be) versions of Jagged Alliance 2, Disciples 2, and Warlords. The first game especially might assuage your X-com itch.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 02:28:04 AM »

Anyone who buys a DS and doesn't buy Elite Beat Agents to go along with it should have the DS taken away and then get beaten severly with it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 02:33:25 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 02:29:53 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 22, 2007, 02:23:02 AM

That FYE deal sounds good, but my gift cards are for best buy icon_frown.  I'm really in the mood for some xcom style turn-based games....  That newish DS game, Etrain Odyssey looks cool, but I honestly don't know if it would keep my interest.

Etrian Odyssey rocks. Probably my favorite game of the year (and it kept my interest for many, many hours). But if you're not into slow moving, Wizardyesque RPGs, then it probably wouldn't be your thing.

As for the other point, though it's very likely you've played them, one of the reasons I bought a DS is for the upcoming (whenever that might be) versions of Jagged Alliance 2, Disciples 2, and Warlords. The first game especially might assuage your X-com itch.

I agree - JA2 is a big draw for me. 

What ever happened to Panzer Tactics?  Wasn't that supposed to be like Panzer General?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 05:16:08 AM »

That's tough.

I really, can't make the call.

I love them both, dearly.  And the playtime wavers from one month, heavy DS-usage, to another month being heavy PSP-usage.

I wish you didn't have to decide.

But if you had to...

Get a PSP.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 05:37:06 AM »

Quote from: Devil on June 22, 2007, 01:46:49 AM

wah wah wah wah wah!

sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of Nintendos cash register ringing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 07:02:12 AM »

Get both?  slywink

They're both great systems.  However don't listen to everyone saying how DS has more systems sold and more games that means it's instantly better.  When I did my research it was the PSP that had more games of the type I wanted to play, and more future games of the kind I wanted to play.  Yes, that's even considering how much smaller the PSP library is.

A lot of the DS games are of the fast, simple, and often quirky type, along with more recently released JRPGs that add depth to the library.  It has a good library, but remember that you'll find deeper games on the PSP, not to say the DS

Also factor in that the PSP can do MP3 music if you buy a big enough memory stick.

Ah, but wait, I can't actually recommend you buy a PSP right now since they'll likely announce the PSP Slim at E3 in July.  There'll probably be a price cut for the PSP1, along with a lot of trade-ins or forum sales that you could make use of.  They'll also announce more games at the convention in general, allowing you an even better gauge of which to buy.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 08:25:24 AM »

I still like my DS better than the PSP.  Mainly because the DS just feels more portable and I do most of my gaming on the go.  I always feel like I have to treat my PSP so gently.
At least it's finally getting a decent game library, so it's a much better buy than a year ago.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 12:03:17 PM »

I'm really in the mood for some xcom style turn-based games. 
Hmmmm . . . I actually played the PS1 version of Xcom on my PSP yesterday . . .  ninja2

I have 2 fat DS systems and my PSP . . . since I loaded custom firmware I use my PSP exclusively, and my kids use the DSs.  But they are both great systems . . . and Toys R Us has an imminent buy 2 get 1 free sale on DS games upcoming . . . so that may be a great way to go for your short term needs until more is known about the PSP revision.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 02:23:27 PM »

I picked up a DS fairly close to launch (just traded in my DS Phat for a DS Lite.... thrilled!) and love it to death. I've played countless hours on it and will continue to do so. However, with all of the strategy games coming out, and the quality titles already available, I took the plunge on a PSP three weeks ago and I'm glad I did. I'm not nearly as much interested in the other features of a PSP (video, music, etc) as I am the games and that's fine with me.

A few weeks ago I would have probably recommended the DS over the PSP but now I cannot do that. I have to suggest for you to examine the games you are interested in most and then buy that system now... and buy the other one as soon as possible.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 02:25:50 PM »

So, unless I change my mind again, I think I am going to pick mine up today. PSP from FYE (2.71firmware, will upgrade to 2.8, downgrade to 1.5, then install custom 3.4) 2gb memory card (circuit city seems to be affordable). Not sure what games I will buy today, but eventaully I would like to have:

Hot Shots Fore
Daxter
R&C Size Matters
Killzone
Dungeon Siege
Death Jr.
Burnout Legends

And then there are a bunch of things coming out this summer I want, including the first real RPG to hit NA. So...Im like 75/25 now. I know it will be useful when I move (both locally for the metro ride) and cross country (for the long train rides).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 02:56:54 PM »

what's the battery life on either one?  I have a bunch of stuff I was going to take in for trade and I may end up picking up one or the other.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 03:03:59 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2007, 02:25:50 PM

So, unless I change my mind again, I think I am going to pick mine up today. PSP from FYE (2.71firmware, will upgrade to 2.8, downgrade to 1.5, then install custom 3.4) 2gb memory card (circuit city seems to be affordable). Not sure what games I will buy today, but eventaully I would like to have:

Hot Shots Fore
Daxter
R&C Size Matters
Killzone
Dungeon Siege
Death Jr.
Burnout Legends

And then there are a bunch of things coming out this summer I want, including the first real RPG to hit NA. So...Im like 75/25 now. I know it will be useful when I move (both locally for the metro ride) and cross country (for the long train rides).

It got low reviews, but how was Dungeon Siege really?  Does it get boring like Untold Legends, which I fell asleep playing years ago, or is there enough variety of scenery, etc to stay interesting?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 03:24:17 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on June 22, 2007, 03:03:59 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2007, 02:25:50 PM

Hot Shots Fore
Daxter
R&C Size Matters
Killzone
Dungeon Siege
Death Jr.
Burnout Legends

It got low reviews, but how was Dungeon Siege really?  Does it get boring like Untold Legends, which I fell asleep playing years ago, or is there enough variety of scenery, etc to stay interesting?

I haven't tried it, but there is a thread here about it and it was surprisingly popular from what I recall.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 03:26:25 PM »

Note: I have never owned or played the PSP.

The DS lite is perfect for me.  The games are quick to get into, fast load times, quality gaming, and save on the go.  The originality is big for me too.  DS games just can't be played on the PC or console, with the touch screen and duel screen.  I like variety in my gaming.

Quick list of great DS games that I play:
New Super Mario Brothers
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars
Puzzle Quest
Final Fantasy III and VI
Pheonix Wright
Elite Beat Agents
Castlevania
Etrian Odyssey

unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 07:26:52 PM »

Since I've never played a Dragon Quest game, I have no idea why I'm eagerly awaiting DQ IX... but I am.  Maybe because it will probably be the biggest DS RPG to date.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 11:04:37 PM »

The PSP has save on the go too.  Much like the DS where everything is suspended when you close the lid, if you hit the power switch it puts the system instantly into sleep mode, hit it again and it resumes at the same spot.

I've been playing LocoRoco like crazy lately, there's just something about it that's fun even though I usually don't like casual games like these.  It's a great pickup and play game, kind of a platformer where you just collect things and get to the exit.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 12:49:11 AM »

If portability and short bursts of gameplay is more important to you I'd get the the DS.  If you are more interested in homebrew, nearly complete ps2 ports, and "deeper" games I'd recommend the PSP.

I use my DS almost every day during my 35 minute train ride to and from work.  But if I am playing at home, or going on a long plane ride I usually use my PSP. 

Overall I prefer the PSP.  I just wish it was a little smaller and fit in my pocket.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: