http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:50:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Explain Animal Crossing: Wild World to me  (Read 1464 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2006, 02:21:15 AM »

I bought this today for 23.00 based largely on the Designer Threads podcast on Gamespot with Secret of Monkey Island Designer Ron Gilbert (it's a great interview, btw).  It has great reviews and I did peruse the Animal Crossing thread here but quickly got lost as I've never played an AC games. It's still sealed sitting in the bag.

Navarro's vid review on GS sort of left me feeling that it's kind a like a sims game in that you do some mundane tasks but somehow they turn out to be fun and addictive.

I can't seem to gather a real sense of this game from reviews (and sadly my favorite gaming related site again does not have a coveted DS review that I've wanted and this seems to be a bit of a trend...unless I don't know where to look-<why aren't DS reviews filterable?>).

So I'd very much like inputs couched, if you can, from the perspective of someone who has no idea what this game is about, has tried to grasp but can't do the math.  

Or is this one of those you can't describe it, just play it, you'll love it games?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 02:26:08 AM »

it"s tough, I liked to extra customizability of AC WW, you can pretty much use your custom made artwork in game to completely change the look of a town, characters are more detailed and interesting, there's new things to do, and there's multiplayer. It's neat, it's a time waster, it really is one of those games you just piddle around in and not really accomplish much.

It's got it's charm, but unless you were one of those folks who loved the Sims, and the way you could really shape your world, you probably won't get too much out of Wild World.

I would've probably liked the game more if you could've set up online fishing tournaments and other things of that ilk. Otherwise, it lost it's charm for me fairly quickly.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 06:01:14 AM »

It's more of a toy than a game.  There's no real skill involved, you can't fail, and you can pretty much set what your goals are.  It's probably easiest to describe a typical day.  The game uses the DS clock, so if it's 9 AM, it's 9 AM in the game, although you can put any time into your DS clock if you need to play at different times.  (You have to pick a time to set it to, though.  I believe changing the time between game sessions will mess up the game.)  In a typical day, you walk around the town, talking to the townspeople, who are humanoid animals.  They'll have small talk to make, and sometimes give you a task, such as delivering a letter or item to another resident.

Your main "goal" is to amass money to build up your house and furnish it, and most of what you can earn you money.  You can fish, collect bugs, dig up fossils, shake trees for items and money, and do tasks for your fellow residents.  All of these are done through simple actions, either using the touch screen or buttons.  When you've earned enough money, you can upgrade your house, and buy new stuff to furnish it.  There are hundreds of different objects, carpets, wallpapers, etc to collect, so there's a lot of customization, and you can design patterns to use on clothes or even on the town itself.  

That's about it.  It's very charming and cute, and although it doesn't really sound like it, it gets addicting.  It's a great game to play in short bursts, and I've probably put in an average of an hour a day ever since I got the game.  It's definitely not for everyone, though, as I can easily see how someone might be bored to tears by it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 06:25:34 AM »

It's very cute and addicting.  You'll think to yourself, "Why would I want to play this?"  But then neighbors will start moving into your town, saying some crazy goofy things, you'll start wanting to interact with them, do chores around the town (like plant fruit trees, fish, catch bugs, etc.), and pretty soon it'll be two hours later and you won't even notice.

It's worth a shot.  It definately is a "can't describe the addictiveness factor" sort of game.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:50:16 AM »

Stop switching avatars and update your blog.
(your current avatar is way better than the other VP one but I like the classic one best)

I'll have to look at my AC game.  I bet my kid is like a skeleton in his bed, his flesh long ago eaten away by the giant cockroaches.  Weeds everywhere.  Damned rotten turnip growing in my front yard.  If you turn your back on this game don't ever look back.  You WILL turn into a pillar of salt.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:02:31 PM »

It's a time waster. If you have a half hour a day free, it might be amusing. I got suckered into it and convinced myself it was fun for a couple of weeks, but it really is just a waste of time.

I'm ready for my beatdown now.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I'll have to look at my AC game.  I bet my kid is like a skeleton in his bed, his flesh long ago eaten away by the giant cockroaches.  Weeds everywhere.  Damned rotten turnip growing in my front yard.  If you turn your back on this game don't ever look back.  You WILL turn into a pillar of salt.

Odds are as in the Gamecube version there's a way to fix most of your town in a single sesson (something about some ghost or something at midnight comes to mind in the Cube version), so take a glance at some FAQ and get back into it.

I really should pick this up, especially as I have a DS Lite. I enjoyed the Gamecube version, and with the advent of friends codes (assuming anyone here is still playing), who knows who I might encounter.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:14:07 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Or is this one of those you can't describe it, just play it, you'll love it games?

It's one of those you can't describe it, just play it, you might love it games.  Both the AC games were obsessively fun for about a month for me and then I burn out on them.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 02:37:04 PM »

I just got a DS Lite and I keep going back and forth on getting Animal Crossing.

I'll read how someone loves it, but when I go to buy the thing, I'll see a screen shot of all the adorable animal thingies in the game and think, "No way will I like this game, and my wife will think I've lost it if she sees me playing this." And so I hold off. And then I hear how so many people love the game and I think, "I've got to get this game just to see what it's like."

And the cycle starts all over again.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »

AC on the Cube is the only game that I didn't like after being swayed by the good ol' forum effect. You may love it, you may hate it.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 02:59:10 PM »

If you've never played an AC game, you owe it to yourself, as a gamer, to give it a whirl.  I was hardcore-addicted to it for 4 months straight...

So I guess to someone who hasn't experienced it before, my guess is you'd probably dig it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

It is like the Sims in that you'll find it quite novel for 3 weeks or so, then never want to touch it again.
Or maybe that's just me.

PSN ID: EduardoX
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »

Plus that Tom Nook is a frigging monopolistic bastard
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
AC on the Cube is the only game that I didn't like after being swayed by the good ol' forum effect. You may love it, you may hate it.

Yeah, same here.  After playing it a few times I put it on the shelf to collect dust.  My wife tried it, and she actually liked it - for a week.  Then she put it on the shelf.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 08:50:47 PM »

Hmm. Given that the thread on the game is double digits in length, I expected a much more positive response.

Now I don't know what to do.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 09:26:46 PM »

Dude, you said you own the game, why not try it out for a week. I never get why people post threads about games they already own asking if it's worth it to play. You own it, play it and find out. I don't mean to come off like an asshole, but the game won't bite your hand off if you use it!

As for my impressions, I love it. It really is hard to describe, it's just that I'm pretty attached to my little town after a month and a half of play. I'm starting to invest in turnips to increase my bells (cash) so that I can remodel faster and my museum is getting pretty full with all of the donations I've made (you can donate bugs/butterflies, fish, fossils and artwork to the museum). My town is full of characters I like (if one of my favorites tries to move, I talk him/her out of it). I guess what I like is that there's always something new. Just this week, one of the townspeople who my character is friends with invited himself over to my place, which was unexpected. Also, a few neighbors gave me their picture because we were such good friends. I like all of the special events that come up and all of the visitors that come to the town, especially K.K. Rider, the little dog who plays guitar at the cafe once a week. It's a goofy little game, but I find myself hooked on it more than any of the others that I also play.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 09:39:14 PM »

Quote from: "Suitably Ironic Moniker"
Dude, you said you own the game, why not try it out for a week. I never get why people post threads about games they already own asking if it's worth it to play. You own it, play it and find out. I don't mean to come off like an asshole, but the game won't bite your hand off if you use it!

Since his copy is still sealed it sounds like he found it, bought it and is trying to decide if he really wants to open it up or maybe take it back and exchange it for something else.  He probably can't return it once its opened.

Seems reasonable.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 10:29:28 PM »

Hmm. Given that the thread on the game is double digits in length, I expected a much more positive response.

Now I don't know what to do.

my advice: keep it as is, put it in the back of your sock drawer, & spend the rest of your life wondering, on'n'off, whether or not you'd like it (this's always worked for me). let's face it, $23 for something that will haunt you til the day you die is pretty damn cheap...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 11:17:41 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Suitably Ironic Moniker"

Since his copy is still sealed it sounds like he found it, bought it and is trying to decide if he really wants to open it up or maybe take it back and exchange it for something else.  He probably can't return it once its opened.

Seems reasonable.

If that's the case, then I can see his point; I may have misread it.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 05:55:52 AM »

I started the AC:WW thread so I`ll chime in :wink: . It is a love it or hate it kinda thing. I didn`t think I`d like it, but the wife and I loved it on the cube and REALLY dig it on the DS with 2 systems and 2 carts. Great fun!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 03:43:05 AM »

Well, I just got a visit from Resetti. Pretty funny.  So far, meh, but I'm not really into it yet.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 01:59:05 PM »

I've completed Nook's first errands. What am I supposed to do now?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 04:10:32 PM »

Buy a house.  Meet and greet the neighbors.  Go to bed and play again tomorrow!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 06:08:50 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Buy a house.  Meet and greet the neighbors.  Go to bed and play again tomorrow!

Go fishing.  Go plant some fruit trees.  Go catch some bugs.  Go hassle your neighbors.  Go paint a new face for that psychopath that wanders around.  Go work on digging up fossils and completing your fossil collection.  Go buy fake painting from Redd.  Go teach your neighbors dirty names to call each other.  Go go visit other people's villages, chop down all their trees, and place pitfalls on every square inch of their village, go play the stalk market, etc....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 11:07:29 PM »

Here's one tip I found very helpful - Send people letters, and include a gift of a peach.  They'll always send you something back, which you can use or sell.  Sometimes, they will send you fruit other than peaches, which are worth 500 bells each.  Plant the fruit (I always chop down another tree and plant it in that spot to make sure it will grow) and you'll soon get a tree bearing that fruit.  I have cherry, apple, and coconut trees all over my village, each of which brings in 1000-1500 bells every few days.  Also, empty coconut trees sometimes have beetles on them, which can be worth up to 8000+ bells each.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: