http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playstation store...for the PSP!  (Read 771 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:47:33 AM »

http://store.playstation.com/store/index.vm

Here's a little diddy on how to do everything...

https://store.playstation.com/store/instructions.vm

Basically, download the installation client, connect your PSP to your computer and download whatever you want from the store. 

Just grabbed Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow and Socom: Tactical Strike demos...

They have a game named Syphon Filter: Combat Ops on there, which I can only assume is a multiplayer-only version of the latest Syphon Filter.  They also have some games available (Gangs of London, Wipeout Pure).  They tie it with whatever you've done on your PS3, so they have transaction history as well as keeping the funds you may have purchased via your PS3.

All VERY COOL stuff, I'm excited for the future!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:07:21 AM »

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

For the impatient, the demo links are:

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow playable demo:
http://store.playstation.com/store/product.vm?id=UP9000-NPUA80013_00-0000000000000000

SOCOM: Tactical Strike playable demo
http://store.playstation.com/store/product.vm?id=UP9000-NPUG70003_00-DEMO000000000000

Honestly, I don't think the home brew folks are running around shoveling ancient PSOne games onto their PSPs (this doesn't seem like combatting piracy per se). I think this is a fine way to get PSP playable demos and stuff more exposure and be hopefully a little more user friendly about it. And perhaps we'll see more official releases like the $10 Syphon Filter Ops game that are playable from the memory stick (bypassing the UMD).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:36:57 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:15:04 AM »

Windows only sadly, oh well, don't really feel like trusting a sony made program designed to stop pirating anyway.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 04:39:07 AM »

Took a while, but very cool!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:15:44 PM »

So I hadn't checked out Sony's selection of PS1 games that are available for download to the PSP.  I just looked and there are... 15?  Almost a year after making PS1 games compatible with the PSP and there are only 15 games?  The $6 price is great but I'm really surprised they haven't made more games available.  It's no wonder the hacking community has "taken over" doing the heavy lifting for Sony.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 21, 2007, 02:15:44 PM

It's no wonder the hacking community has "taken over" doing the heavy lifting for Sony.

I think it might be the other way around.  Once the hacking community used the service to figure out the PS1 emulation, a lot of the motivation to buy PS1 games from the store evaporated.  While I would happily pay $6 for a game I don't already own, for the games I already have in my collection I have zero issues ripping and emulating them. 
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:59:26 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like if you want to get PS1 games you need to have a PS3? You can't directly DL them to play on your PSP?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 21, 2007, 02:25:19 PM

Quote from: warning on November 21, 2007, 02:15:44 PM

It's no wonder the hacking community has "taken over" doing the heavy lifting for Sony.
I think it might be the other way around.  Once the hacking community used the service to figure out the PS1 emulation, a lot of the motivation to buy PS1 games from the store evaporated.  While I would happily pay $6 for a game I don't already own, for the games I already have in my collection I have zero issues ripping and emulating them. 

That's exactly it, IMHO. Although in Japan, there are a TON more PS1 games available than there are in the US. Go figure.

And to the best of my knowledge, if you have a Windows based PC, you can now purchase PS1 games from the Playstation store on the 'normal' web and transfer them directly to your PSP. The PS3 isn't a requirement anymore.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 07:32:57 PM »

they are having a sale on psn games at the moment.  these 4 are all $5 from now until 11/29

calling all cars
everyday shooter
flow
pixeljunk racers

es is fun.  i played that back on release day and put a few more hours into it. 
for that price, i'll probably grab flow.  the web game was fun, and even though this version is kinda short, it will be a good casual game to play from the couch.

not sure about the other two.  pr wasn't really my cup of tea.  i didn't hate it or love it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: