http://gamingtrend.com
July 10, 2014, 04:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playstation Plus  (Read 894 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »

I find myself pondering signing up for Playstation Plus, but I have questions:

1.  Do they offer free titles monthly?   Is this only for new signups, or anyone subscribed gets the new titles?
2.  Anyone here a member and is it worth it?
3.  What other perks do you get?
4.  Is plus for vita separate for vita and PS3 or do you get both?

I am only considering because this month they are offering Uncharted for the Vita, Gravity Rush, and a couple other titles.   They are also offering a PS3 title I'm interested in.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »

1. I don't think it's monthly for free titles, but there are discounts weekly.  And when the free titles do come, there's usually a few of them.  And they are not just for new signups.
2. Yes and yes.  It wasn't when it started, but it has turned the corner 100%.  More than 100%, as I'm sure I've made back way more than what I put into it.
3. I'm sure this is coincidental, but my download speeds have seemed faster since joining (XBox is still faster, though).  Apart from early access to some things, I think free and discounted games may be it, but isn't that enough?
4. You get both with one membership.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

Free titles monthly and anyone can get them.  I think they only add/remove a couple per month.  If you download a title and delete it you can still download it again later, even if they stop offering.  If you cancel your sub, you lose the ability to play those free games.

I have it and I love it.

You also get lower discounts on games and occasional early beta/demo access.

It's the same service for both PS3/Vita
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 04:05:47 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 22, 2013, 03:54:17 PM

I find myself pondering signing up for Playstation Plus, but I have questions:

1.  Do they offer free titles monthly?   Is this only for new signups, or anyone subscribed gets the new titles?
2.  Anyone here a member and is it worth it?
3.  What other perks do you get?
4.  Is plus for vita separate for vita and PS3 or do you get both?

I am only considering because this month they are offering Uncharted for the Vita, Gravity Rush, and a couple other titles.   They are also offering a PS3 title I'm interested in.

1. Yes, they are monthly. There's usually two or more titles every month, and as long as you "purchase" them for $0 during the offer, and stay a PS Plus member, they're yours to keep forever. This is the core concept with PS Plus right now. Throughout a year you'll get at least 12 full games for your subscription, and probably many more. Per system. Oh yes!
2. I'm a member, and it's worth it.
3. Cloud uploads, early demos, various special offers on PSN, as well as discounts.
4. Vita and PS3 are covered by the same subscription, so you get both. Each receives several titles per month.

Edit: PS Plus is likely to get considerably expanded with the PS4, though we don't know the details yet.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »

not sure if this is for EU or NA,but here is the list for March
CVG
Leaving PS Plus in March:

6th March: Sleeping Dogs

6th March: Vanquish

6th March: LIMBO

13th March: Wipeout 2048

20th March: Lumines Electronic Symphony

Entering PS Plus in March:

6th March: Mass Effect 3

6th March: Dead or Alive 5

6th March: Joe Danger 2

13th March: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

20th March: Puddle

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »

Pretty sure that's EU only
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »

Looks like this is North America?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »

Yes that's NA
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »

Ooh, I forgot about the cloud uploads being a PS+ only feature.  That's a key one (although less so with PS4 not giving a shit about them).

I guess the free titles never seemed monthly to me, as I already have them, usually, so I don't anticipate them as much (I still purchase the free digital versions because why the hell not).

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »

As everybody else said, it's totally worth it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 22, 2013, 05:01:58 PM

(although less so with PS4 not giving a shit about them).

I'm confused. What exactly would you say the difference would be if the PS4 did give a shit about them? It's not as if those games are playable on it anyway.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2013, 05:50:50 PM

I'm confused. What exactly would you say the difference would be if the PS4 did give a shit about them? It's not as if those games are playable on it anyway.

I think that's what he's saying - once you move to PS4 those cloud saves become useless.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 22, 2013, 06:25:11 PM

I think that's what he's saying - once you move to PS4 those cloud saves become useless.

That's like saying your PS3 games become useless once you buy a Wii U. They are different consoles!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2013, 06:37:31 PM

That's like saying your PS3 games become useless once you buy a Wii U. They are different consoles!

C'mon, TiLT. That's not the same thing at all. You're trying to make apples and oranges out of a Florida orange and a California orange.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 22, 2013, 08:06:00 PM

C'mon, TiLT. That's not the same thing at all. You're trying to make apples and oranges out of a Florida orange and a California orange.

Am I? I'm saying that a new console purchase doesn't invalidate the stuff on your old console. Nobody (at least not the people who know a thing or two about console hardware) ever expected the PS3 to be backwards compatible, but Sony went above and beyond the expected and actually opened an avenue for backwards compatibility through streaming, and yet you complain as if they suddenly turned off your PSN account? You want to play those PS3 games, just use your PS3, or stream them on the PS4 once that option becomes available.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »

And here I was thinking Hetz would be the problem with another Sony console coming out.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 22, 2013, 08:38:09 PM

And here I was thinking Hetz would be the problem with another Sony console coming out.  slywink

Oh come on! I'm not being unreasonable.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:30:54 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2013, 08:51:15 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 22, 2013, 08:38:09 PM

Oh come on! I'm not being unreasonable.

You are, but it's expected now.  Much like I expected BC to be at least a consideration for the PS4, though apparently I don't know anything about consoles.

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2013, 08:11:37 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 22, 2013, 08:06:00 PM

Am I? I'm saying that a new console purchase doesn't invalidate the stuff on your old console. Nobody (at least not the people who know a thing or two about console hardware) ever expected the PS3 to be backwards compatible, but Sony went above and beyond the expected and actually opened an avenue for backwards compatibility through streaming, and yet you complain as if they suddenly turned off your PSN account? You want to play those PS3 games, just use your PS3, or stream them on the PS4 once that option becomes available.

And here again the argument boils down to people assuming that I can't possibly feel the way I do, since they don't feel that way.

Look, Sony can make the PS4 not BC, and most people may be okay with that.  I am not, and it will effect my purchasing of the PS4.  I'm sorry you have a problem with that.

The reasons you toss off so casually as though they make my problem a non-issue are 1) Just use your PS3.  I cannot and do not want to have two Playstation consoles in my already cramped cabinet.  Nor does my wife.  And B) just stream them when they are available.  This would be a great option if my saved games would actually transfer to the PS4, but they have decided not to bother with this simple function (ie not giving a shit about them).

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 22, 2013, 09:30:54 PM

The reasons you toss off so casually as though they make my problem a non-issue are 1) Just use your PS3.  I cannot and do not want to have two Playstation consoles in my already cramped cabinet.  Nor does my wife.  And B) just stream them when they are available.  This would be a great option if my saved games would actually transfer to the PS4, but they have decided not to bother with this simple function (ie not giving a shit about them).

See, this is what I'm talking about. I believe you've completely misunderstood what Sony is saying, and I was initially baffled that such a misunderstanding was possible. You've made your side of the issue clearer now, so I'm starting to see what you're talking about. Your PS3 saved games won't transfer to the PS4 simply because there's no reason to. You can't play your PS3 games on it, so what would be the point? That's reasonable. It's here that you veer off in the wrong direction however. If your PS3 games are playable via streaming, there's no reason why your saved games won't work with them. You're still not transferring them to your PS4, they're just being used directly within Sony's server setup. This is speculation however, but reasonable speculation. There's simply no technical reason they shouldn't be able to do this in the first place, nor any economic reason since they don't have to introduce any new technology to make it work. They also haven't made any statements about the inclusion or non-inclusion of such a feature, so it's very premature to go up in arms about it.

The thing I thought you were saying, and which I've heard others saying too, is that the PS4 will delete your PSN purchase history. Yeah, I know. I can't fathom how they reached that conclusion either. Just minutes after I responded in this thread last time, I watched an episode of Feedbackula on Gamespot, focusing on the PS4 announcement. The host pretty much said at one point: "Sony has decided not to transfer your PSN purchases to the PS4. That's kind of a dick move, Sony. Hopefully you'll reconsider." The only way that statement makes any kind of sense is if the host believes that he'll have to repurchase all his PSN games when he gets a PS4. A truly bizarre conclusion for anyone to reach.

Sony probably made a clumsy statement that is now being misinterpreted far and wide. It wouldn't be the first time.

You are, but it's expected now.  Much like I expected BC to be at least a consideration for the PS4, though apparently I don't know anything about consoles.

The reason I mentioned knowledge about hardware is because anyone who knows about the differences between the PS3 and PS4's hardware would know that backwards compatibility is more or less impossible without adding a Cell processor to the latter, and that would probably cost at least an additional $100 on top of the regular PS4 price. Sony probably considered for all of 5 seconds before coming to the natural conclusion that almost nobody would pay for that. The architectural difference between an x86 and the Cell is almost total, which means the PS4 would have to add a software wrapper around all PS3 games running on it, interpreting every single command, redirecting it to a suitable location that makes sense on its own architecture, recreating any bugs or nuances in the PS3 architecture, then responding as if it was a Cell processor. This adds a massive amount of overhead, and we'd need a far, far more powerful console than the PS4 to be able to handle that. It would be the same if you by some miracle managed to procure a PS3 emulator for PC, then ran your favorite PS3 game on the most powerful PC you could find. The result would most likely be incredibly sluggish and unplayable.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »

My hope for each console:

PS4:
No jaggies, fast load times, and a good interface

Xbox720:
A console that is not a piece of junk, Jack.   By that I mean one that doesn't break within a year requiring me to send it back.   Then one that doesn't break again when I get the replacement.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:11 AM »

Side note:  Why the hell does the PS3 take so ridiculously long to install games?  I downloaded Vanquish tonight, and it's currently spent over 45 minutes installing...and is only 80% finished.  An hour to install a goddamn game is just stupid.   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 07:37:38 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 23, 2013, 05:39:11 AM

Side note:  Why the hell does the PS3 take so ridiculously long to install games?  I downloaded Vanquish tonight, and it's currently spent over 45 minutes installing...and is only 80% finished.  An hour to install a goddamn game is just stupid.   icon_evil

Wow. With my experience it NEVER takes that long. Hell, I downloaded ni no kuni off of the psn... 24 gigs or something huge and the install only took 20 or so. Not an hr. That seems odd to me...
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 11:27:55 AM »

It may be that your HD is going bad. Thereby slowing down the install. Just a guess though, I havent tried to install Vanquish on my system.

If I were you I would make sure all your saves are loaded into the cloud.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »

Side note:  Why the hell does the PS3 take so ridiculously long to install games?  I downloaded Vanquish tonight, and it's currently spent over 45 minutes installing...and is only 80% finished.  An hour to install a goddamn game is just stupid.   icon_evil

The download and install on the PS3 is awful - thankfully it sounds like they fixed this in a major way on the PS4.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »

Thankfully Sony addressed this with the PS4 in several ways:

- The Blu-ray drive is now 6x instead of the PS3's 2x. This will help a lot!
- The bandwidth to the hard drive is higher. This has a smaller impact, but is important nevertheless.
- Games can be played while they're being downloaded/installed. This is very important, and is probably going to remove the infamous install bar altogether.
- Games download and install in the background if you want them to.

The Playstation install process seems to be history. smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »

When i watch a Blu Ray on my PS3,its very slow,it takes so long to get to the menu's,i have that Blu Ray logo loading thing as well

is this normal for all Blu Ray players or just the PS3?

Also when i stop the Blu Ray movie i am watching to say go to the toilet or get something to eat and i come back,i press play and it starts as though i have just put the disc in,it doesn't 'save' where i was,like other DVD players do,is there an option i can go to to enable this feature?

You can do this now right?,although i am guessing now you can play games,maybe even play online at the same time which would be good

The Playstation install process seems to be history.

thumbsup

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 23, 2013, 12:14:23 PM

You can do this now right?,although i am guessing now you can play games,maybe even play online at the same time which would be good

The PS3 can download, but not install, games in the background. The PS4 will (if you allow it) predict what you want to download, then both download and install it while you're doing something else, or even while the console is turned off (ie. in standby). When you click the Buy button in the store, the game will be immediately ready. And yes, you can play other games while installing another (or even play the game you're installing) because of the way this process has been moved to a secondary chip dedicated to this kind of thing.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »

Downloading and installing games takes forever for me and always has.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 23, 2013, 12:14:23 PM

When i watch a Blu Ray on my PS3,its very slow,it takes so long to get to the menu's,i have that Blu Ray logo loading thing as well

is this normal for all Blu Ray players or just the PS3?

This is a normal BluRay thing AFAIK. It's connecting to the internet, doing Java stuff behind the scenes, sometimes even downloading recent movie previews to dazzle you with. Even without the internet connectivity there's all that JVM startup that needs to happen. I believe.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »

I just did the 12GB Vanquish download and install thing, I have no idea how long it took as I always just let it do large ones like that 'overnight'... put it on auto-install-and-shutdown and then go to bed. Ready the next morning.

Seems to me that some of the speed is related to the hard drive in the unit and the generally slow bus speed on the PS3. Glad to hear they're re-architecting that. I put a new drive in my launch 60GB and it certainly seemed to be faster overall. My new slim has the stock 250 in it and it sure seems slower to me or at least what I think it remember... any time I come back to the menu it spends way more time spooling up all of the icons than it seems like it should. Keep playing with the idea of swapping out this drive but probably won't.

Oh.. and PS+ ? Totally worth it IMHO. Doubly so if you have a Vita as well.  thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:14:08 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »

I just deleted Vanquish it was the free game a month or two back,didn't gel with it

However,for some reason i am missing 10gig out of my 55gig(60)HDD,and can't understand where it is

the only games i have installed are Shadow of the Colossus(6.1gig)and Ico(1.7gig),Silent Hill(about 270mb) and that MGS4 database thing (77mb)

and it shows up i have 38gig left (of the 55) on my HDD,so count about 8 gig for the games,means about 9-10gig is missing

I haven't got HOME installed,and no longer have DCU Online installed either,nor have i got any videos,so i am kind of confused as to where it is

The 5gig out of the 60 gig to make it 55gig is for the updates,right?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 23, 2013, 03:57:39 PM

I just deleted Vanquish it was the free game a month or two back,didn't gel with it

Same here.  It was far too hectic for my old man brain to keep up with.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »

Plus is more than worth it. If I was a very casual gamer, I would only have Plus and never purchase physical games. Eventually the good games come to Plus for free or near free anyways.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on February 23, 2013, 06:45:30 PM

Plus is more than worth it. If I was a very casual gamer, I would only have Plus and never purchase physical games. Eventually the good games come to Plus for free or near free anyways.
This is me right there. At a couple of free games a month, I don't even by PS3 games anymore. I actually have a backlog of free games to play!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »

Also, in the PS4, there is actually a chip dedicated to downloading, networking, and steaming. It's also apparently re-programmable and uses Gaikai technology.

So just like they were saying, you can still be playing games or doing other stuff, and games will download in the background.

Although honestly, I have a feeling MS will do something just as similar since they are also way into online media now. This generation of consoles are going to see massively upgraded networking capability, not just what media you can access, but the tech and software behind it.

What's interesting was that I kept hearing all sorts of reasons why the PS3's networking was so poor, I suspect a combination of all of them is the reason why many had issues with speed (as did I sometimes). First was that the wifi hardware was cheap crap in the first few console versions, second was that the PS3 OS' network stack was made so poorly, and hard coded in, that it was a nightmare to work with, finally, just general issues with bandwidth at Sony, combined with all the other hardware/software issues.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:57:15 AM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: