http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 06:17:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playstation Plus - Now with lots more free games!  (Read 17007 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »

Playstation Plus continues to blow Xbox Live Gold out of the water....

Here are the first 12 free games that us PS+ members will be getting today!

Virtua Fighter 5 June 5th
 inFAMOUS 2 June 5th
 Little Big Planet 2 June 5th
 Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One June 5th
 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine June 5th
 Just Cause 2 June 5th
 Saints Row 2 June 5th
 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light June 5th
 Hard Corp: Uprising June 5th
 Choplifter HD June 5th
 Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone June 5th
 Sideway NY June 5th

I have Just Cause and Saints Row....but the rest I don't own. Pretty sweet deal. Tell me why again that MS is forcing me to pay $60 a year just to play online and for frankly pretty weak discounts on throwaway arcade titles...when I can get tons of free stuff for the same price with PS+, in addition to very large discounts on top line games.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

First and foremost, that's a surprisingly good list of games.  It's not enough for me to pay a yearly service on a system I use two or three times a year, but it's still a nice list.

However:

Quote from: Hetz on June 05, 2012, 04:32:07 PM

Tell me why again that MS is forcing me to pay $60 a year just to play online

Because they can and people are paying it.

Quote from: Hetz on June 05, 2012, 04:32:07 PM

when I can get tons of free stuff for the same price with PS+, in addition to very large discounts on top line games.

Because they have to.

/end thread.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »

Gellar FTW!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »

CONSOLE WARZ!! RAWR!!!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on June 05, 2012, 05:01:45 PM

CONSOLE WARZ!! RAWR!!!

The leader of the SDF is back, after all.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »

Booooooo!

You guys are no fun!   icon_razz

Seriously though, it doesn't bother anyone that you are forced to pay $60 for basically nothing on the Xbox, but for the same $60 you are given so much extra on the PS3? I don't mean to make it "OMG XBOX SUXXX, PS3 RULZ".....I just find it absurd that Microsoft is allowed to get away with it and the most anyone can say in their defense is "they do it because they can". I've been a Live subscriber since the very start, but I am seriously considering letting my sub run out. I will put my money where my mouth is. Hopefully more people will as well and they will start to not take their customers for granted and we will get some good value added to our Live Gold subscriptions.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »

People have invested in XBOX as their multiplayer platform of choice because they were so far ahead of Sony in that capacity.

Gellar is right, Sony has to throw free stuff at us in an attempt to get people to move over. And it's going to take a lot more than free games. Some people haven't even purchased a PS3 because the XBOX experience was that much better that much earlier.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »

I pay for both because I can and I have no problem with it. Just because you can't and are forced to choose one or the other seems like the reason why you have to validate your choice by being critical of the other.

The fact of the matter is that the Xbox Live experience is better thought out, laid out and easier to use as a service than Sony's half hearted attempt. Yeah, it's great that Sony is throwing all these free games to users, and I'll certainly download all of them to get maximum value out of my subscription, but that's just a way to distract people from the reality that Sony really needs to completely redesign their online experience in order to compete with Xbox Live.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »

Yep, I own a 360 and a PS3, but my PS3 is a single player exclusive/Blu-ray/Netflix streaming machine.  Multiplatform and multiplayer games are all on the 360 because the interface and experience is that much better, and because most people I play MP with are there as well (probably for the same reasons).

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on June 05, 2012, 05:47:33 PM

I pay for both because I can and I have no problem with it. Just because you can't and are forced to choose one or the other seems like the reason why you have to validate your choice by being critical of the other.

???

No, I subscribe to both and have been on Xbox Live Gold for many years. I'm being critical of one because I don't feel like I am getting $60 worth of value out of it, which is my right to do as a consumer. By all means, if you feel you are getting your moneys worth, continue to support them wholeheartedly. I am sure they are very appreciative.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »

people still pay $60 a year for XBL?  don't they look for sales on the 12 month subscription cards and only pay $40 a year?

still, I find it funny that Sony can throw 12 free games at me and I still don't feel the need to subscribe-  perhaps if there were more exclusives in the mix that I hadn't already played or can easily borrow but 7 out of the 12 I've played on the PC and another one I've tried on the 360.

Quote from: pr0ner on June 05, 2012, 05:49:47 PM

Yep, I own a 360 and a PS3, but my PS3 is a single player exclusive/Blu-ray/Netflix streaming machine.

heh, with Kinect voice controls my PS3 didn't even get used for Netflix;  button pushing feels so... primitive biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »

How does the PSN subscription work?  Is it $60 for a year?  Do you get to keep the games if you don't renew?

I have a PS3, but never did the subscription because I didn't know anything about it.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »

I've only been on Gold twice but definitely didn't feel I was getting my money's worth. I still have my 360 but it rarely even gets turned on these days. I can buy Black Ops on PS3 or I can buy it on 360.. the only difference is, one platform forces you to pay a monthly fee just to play it.
All these opinions about how the 360 has a "better" online experience are just that, opinions. Having had Gold (although admittedly it's been over a year since I last subscribed) and PS3 online, I prefer PS3 online and not just because it's free.

Have to agree PS Plus is becoming much better of a deal.. it's not like Sony is forcing it on anyone - you can still play online or use netflix for free. Even if you dont want to play online on Xbox and just use netflix, you still have to pay MS a fee for it. That's crazy.

Might have to subscribe to PS Plus for the first time as that's a hell of a lot of games just for one month's membership fee.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 05, 2012, 05:20:56 PM

Seriously though, it doesn't bother anyone that you are forced to pay $60 for basically nothing on the Xbox, but for the same $60 you are given so much extra on the PS3?

My MBP and future iMac cost more than PC products for a Diablo, Civ and Internet Machine.
My iPad costs more than a Kindle Fire for a tablet.
My BMW costs more than my Subaru did for a 6,000 miles a year of transportation.
My high fashion (High Fashion) clothing costs more than shitty stuff I can buy at the mall for something to prevent me from walking around naked.
My Ferragamos costs more than Sketchers for something that prevents me from walking around barefoot.

The concept of higher value for the 'same' good is one of the things that modern business is founded on.

PS, I'm Fancy!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »

Pinky up! icon_cool
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »

MS had a far superior online experience years before Sony. They got the mind share with hardcore online gamers, hence Sony has to do things like this to get their service attention. MS built their solid base going back to the first Xbox.

I also don't pay $60 nor did I pay $50 for any year of Live. I think the most I paid was $35. Deals several times a year for those who pay attention.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »

This is an awesome deal-there was no need to turn it into a console bashing thread.
If I sign up now can I still get the games or is it only for people who were registered before the games came out?
If you don't renew then the games disappear but apparently if you let your subscription lapse and then renew later you can still have access to those games. That's so many games in one month plus another 11 months worth of free games to go that I don't mind if I lose them at the end of my subscription.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »

You can sign up now and get them.

Store has been updated, so go download!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 05, 2012, 09:00:17 PM

If I sign up now can I still get the games or is it only for people who were registered before the games came out?
If you don't renew then the games disappear but apparently if you let your subscription lapse and then renew later you can still have access to those games. That's so many games in one month plus another 11 months worth of free games to go that I don't mind if I lose them at the end of my subscription.

Yes, the games are available to everyone who signs up for PS+.  You have access to the games at any time you're a subscriber, as long as you download them before they are replaced by new games.

As for XBox Live and PS+, they aren't really competing services.  AFAIK, the only overlap in content between the two is the discounts, and not even those work the same way on both.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »

By the way, you don't have to download now - just put everything you are interested in in your cart and then complete checkout. You can now download whenever you want (months from now, if you want).  Given that a bunch of the games are 14 GB...

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »

Awesome I bought Infamous 2 on Sunday because it was going off sale for Premium members and the next day they announced I could have gotten it free.  A little disappointed about that and I have about 8 of the games on the list already but still a good deal.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »

Just remember that as soon as you let PS+ lapse, you can't play those games anymore for free.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »

Quote from: shon on June 05, 2012, 10:50:00 PM

Awesome I bought Infamous 2 on Sunday because it was going off sale for Premium members and the next day they announced I could have gotten it free.  A little disappointed about that and I have about 8 of the games on the list already but still a good deal.

I almost pulled the trigger on that deal as well.  Glad I forgot about it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 03:46:51 AM »

Well, I signed up for 1 year for this deal.  Seems pretty good and if there are more freebies of this caliber or big discounts it will be well worth it.  Thanks for the heads up.

...{thinks to self.....now I just need a bigger HD}

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 05, 2012, 10:09:44 PM

By the way, you don't have to download now - just put everything you are interested in in your cart and then complete checkout. You can now download whenever you want (months from now, if you want).  Given that a bunch of the games are 14 GB...
Thanks for this tip.  I was wondering how I could claim those games without having to download all of them at once.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 05, 2012, 11:08:37 PM

Just remember that as soon as you let PS+ lapse, you can't play those games anymore for free.

OH - I didnt think that was the case.

NEvermind then - its kinda the same as leasing it I guess.

A new one
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »

Well think of it as a rental.  An extremely long, cheap rental.  You get 12 games plus probably 2 more games per month for 11 more months and it only costs you $50.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 06, 2012, 01:29:28 PM

Well think of it as a rental.  An extremely long, cheap rental.  You get 12 games plus probably 2 more games per month for 11 more months and it only costs you $50.

And if you purchase a Plus discounted game, you get to keep it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 06, 2012, 10:03:25 AM

If they let you continue playing all the free games then people would just sign up for one month, download all the goods, and cancel. (Think I did that once on a $1 3 day trial for an adult website once, but that's besides the point.) 

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on June 07, 2012, 05:32:57 PM

If they let you continue playing all the free games then people would just sign up for one month, download all the goods, and cancel. (Think I did that once on a $1 3 day trial for an adult website once, but that's besides the point.) 

Indeed - that was my plan :-)

Actually, doesnt this mean as well that you have to be online in order to play the games? I.e. the PS3 has to know you are a Plus costumer?

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 08, 2012, 09:58:59 AM

Quote from: corruptrelic on June 07, 2012, 05:32:57 PM

Indeed - that was my plan :-)

Actually, doesnt this mean as well that you have to be online in order to play the games? I.e. the PS3 has to know you are a Plus costumer?

That's a good question.  I suppose it could create a file somewhere that let's the game know when you Plus account expires, but I imagine you'd have to be online at some point, anyway, to update that.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »

I had been considering the Plus membership for some good discounts I have noticed but this deal just sold me on it.  I don't own an Xbox so I will refrain from commenting about it's online service's perceived value.  However, I will say that free is always good.  Going to sign up now!

morlac00 on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 09, 2012, 11:56:44 AM

I had been considering the Plus membership for some good discounts I have noticed but this deal just sold me on it.  I don't own an Xbox so I will refrain from commenting about it's online service's perceived value.  However, I will say that free is always good.  Going to sign up now!

apparently unscheduled Maintenance is happening this weekend,not tried logging on myself
http://kotaku.com/5917123/psn-picked-a-strange-weekend-to-have-an-outage

Good old Error 8071053D is back if you try to sign into PlayStation Network from your PlayStation 3. If you try to log in to a PlayStation web site, you get a page tells you the site is down for maintenance.

It doesn't appear to be regularly scheduled, as PSN underwent regular maintenance on May 24, and the weekend after E3 would be kind of a bad time for that. I'm reaching out to Sony Computer Entertainment America representatives for more info on why this is happening and how long it's expected.

EU Playstation forums are fine for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 12:09:19 AM »

I got in just fine.

morlac00 on PSN
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »

I've been a Plus member since day one and with all the free games, discounted games and extra stuff, like themes and avatars, I've filled my hard drive multiple times. I hardly find myself purchasing anything from the PS Store any more, because usually it finds it's way to Plus at a lower price point or for free. It's a fantastic service.

As for the console wars online vs. online, I was a 360 user for a few years until it broke on me and I decided to get rid of it and give the PS3 a try. I find I really don't have much gaming time these days, so I ended up sticking with the PS3. I did enjoy some things about the 360 better and I do enjoy some things about the PS3 better. They would have to combine the two consoles to come closer to fully satisfying me. Hopefully someday they can pull off a console to perfection, but for now the competition makes for some interesting things, like 12 free awesome games. Thanks Sony! Or should I say thanks Microsoft?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »

I always see people here say xbox live is so much better then PSN.. 

But, umm, I just don't see it.   PSN works fine and its free. Simple interface, etc.

I can afford anything I want when it comes to games, etc.  But, I do not see the need for PS+ either.

I am sticking with playstation next gen too.  And, for as long as they offer it, I am keeping it free.

Some little dorky Mii guy that you can buy ball caps for just doesn't impress me..
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on June 12, 2012, 02:36:16 PM

I always see people here say xbox live is so much better then PSN.. 

But, umm, I just don't see it.   PSN works fine and its free. Simple interface, etc.

I can afford anything I want when it comes to games, etc.  But, I do not see the need for PS+ either.

I am sticking with playstation next gen too.  And, for as long as they offer it, I am keeping it free.

Some little dorky Mii guy that you can buy ball caps for just doesn't impress me..

I think everything that can be said, has been said about the differences of PSN and xbox live. I can easily say how can you not see how Xbox live is a much better online experience?  I have all systems and will so for the next generation.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »

I had 2 xbox 360's.  I wont be buying a 720 unless they pull out something that blows the playstation out of the water.

And yea, xbox live vs. PSN is preference/opinion.   But, imo, it is a wash.  PSN does everything I need/want.

I am sure they will force me into ps+ someday though. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »

I hope they add PS+ content for Vita.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 12, 2012, 04:44:38 PM

I hope they add PS+ content for Vita.

They did announce that it's coming soon, IIRC.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: