http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:14:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playstation Move  (Read 7829 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »

Quote from: lakers1 on September 19, 2010, 12:00:31 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 18, 2010, 03:34:37 PM

Bocce is pretty good (it's hard to get far throws, though).

Everything seems to be fine except for Tiger Woods 11.  I cannot get it to recognize the Move controller at all.  I spent way too much time last night trying to get that to happen.

I haven't seen anything online about it, but I have heard the Move support is pretty shoddy.  I may try to take it back (wish me luck).

Yeah I have had trouble with the Tiger Woods demo on the starter disc; when you are at the tee it just won't recognise the controller.

I can't even get to the tee.

Quote from: The Grue on September 18, 2010, 09:27:44 PM

I was debating on getting Aragorn's Quest last night since it uses Move, but I have yet to see a single review on the game, so didn't want to pull the trigger on it.  I know my kids would love EyePet and they are playing it right now and loving it to death, so good call there.

Edit - Found a review on Game Trailers, which gave it a 6.1, so I guess I am glad I skipped it.

Aragorn's Quest is not something I would recommend for most.  It's dumbed down and basic.  Yet the more I played, the more I enjoyed it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2010, 01:18:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2010, 06:34:00 AM

Quote from: Devil on September 18, 2010, 03:24:25 AM

Bocce ALONE is worth the $100!!!

so the ball physics are realistic on it?

I thought it was pretty good. You can put spin on your throws in any direction with a natural feeling twisting of the wrist when you throw.

Where the physics really show up is when they turn you around and have the whole playground as the court. I was launching things off signs, grills, stone paths etc. , and it all reacted pretty well.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2010, 04:30:53 AM »

Quote from: lakers1 on September 19, 2010, 12:00:31 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 18, 2010, 03:34:37 PM

Bocce is pretty good (it's hard to get far throws, though).

Everything seems to be fine except for Tiger Woods 11.  I cannot get it to recognize the Move controller at all.  I spent way too much time last night trying to get that to happen.

I haven't seen anything online about it, but I have heard the Move support is pretty shoddy.  I may try to take it back (wish me luck).

Yeah I have had trouble with the Tiger Woods demo on the starter disc; when you are at the tee it just won't recognise the controller.

The kids love the eyepet and the sports game. I (ahem) quite enjoy the gladiator challenge.

We never had a Wii though so it is a new experience.

is that you joey?

that sucks about TW11.  one of the few golf games i would actually buy. 

so, at this stage, can you make a definitive yes/no recommendation?  what's the best move game so far?

lakers1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2010, 10:35:53 AM »

Caine, I don't seem to be able to quote your post. Not sure if you are talking me to me or Bullwinkle but anyway..

From the standpoint of someone who has never tried a Wii, I'm impressed so far. But I have only tried the sports game and watched the eyepet (brilliant for young kids, although it can be frustrating of they don't quite get the limitations of the camera) plus tried a couple of demos.

I'm certainly very impressed with the application; the speed of your movements, where you release, the angle of your wrist, the direction of your movements all matter. Like someone above said, as an example, the Bocce seems really realistic. And no lag to speak of. Maybe the Wii did all this and this well before, I don't know.

If you have younger kids it is probably already a 'yes'. If you don't and the current lineup doesn't appeal it's probably a 'wait a bit'. But I think it is promising, the tech seems impressive.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »

Quote from: lakers1 on September 19, 2010, 10:35:53 AM

Caine, I don't seem to be able to quote your post. Not sure if you are talking me to me or Bullwinkle but anyway..

From the standpoint of someone who has never tried a Wii, I'm impressed so far. But I have only tried the sports game and watched the eyepet (brilliant for young kids, although it can be frustrating of they don't quite get the limitations of the camera) plus tried a couple of demos.

I'm certainly very impressed with the application; the speed of your movements, where you release, the angle of your wrist, the direction of your movements all matter. Like someone above said, as an example, the Bocce seems really realistic. And no lag to speak of. Maybe the Wii did all this and this well before, I don't know.

If you have younger kids it is probably already a 'yes'. If you don't and the current lineup doesn't appeal it's probably a 'wait a bit'. But I think it is promising, the tech seems impressive.

I think he was talking to you and your Gladiator comment. 

The Wii did do all of this (or most of this) but not as well.  There is a notable improvement in response time and smoothness.

But, yeah, right now it's a wait and see thing.  Sony has been terrible supporting the EyeToy and PS Eye before now.  We'll have to see if they make a genuine go of this or not.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 18, 2010, 11:04:40 PM

Oh, is the Resident Evil 5 -> Move patch already available?  I'd assumed that was still in the works just like the Heavy Rain patch.

I'd love to hear more impressions of RE5.  I thought the Wii version of RE4 was the definitive one thanks to the incredibly intuitive controls, and I'd love see it again in high-definition.

-Autistic Angel

What AA said.  My wife got into RE because of the Wii and the reason we have a PS3 at all is because of RE5.  A couple of questions:
If I jump on the Move, what do I need?  I'm guessing the starter pack with the camera since I have nothing along that way for the PS3
Has there been any proble switching out controllers on the two USB ports?  Between the regular controller, Rock Band, and now this, I am using one USB hub and contemplating another.
If anyone has a Wii and PS3; any conflicts with "stuff" packed around the TV?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on September 19, 2010, 04:29:03 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 18, 2010, 11:04:40 PM

Oh, is the Resident Evil 5 -> Move patch already available?  I'd assumed that was still in the works just like the Heavy Rain patch.

I'd love to hear more impressions of RE5.  I thought the Wii version of RE4 was the definitive one thanks to the incredibly intuitive controls, and I'd love see it again in high-definition.

-Autistic Angel

What AA said.  My wife got into RE because of the Wii and the reason we have a PS3 at all is because of RE5.  A couple of questions:
If I jump on the Move, what do I need?  I'm guessing the starter pack with the camera since I have nothing along that way for the PS3
Has there been any proble switching out controllers on the two USB ports?  Between the regular controller, Rock Band, and now this, I am using one USB hub and contemplating another.
If anyone has a Wii and PS3; any conflicts with "stuff" packed around the TV?

I haven't gotten to put any more time into RE5.  The patch is indeed out, so if you get Move, you can use it to control.  In order to play RE5, you would need the camera, the Move controller, and the Navigator.  I wish I still had RE4 on the Wii, because I am trying to remember if it controls similarly.  Basically, you move with the analog stick on the navigator, but you don't have a right analog stick like on a normal controller, so you are sort of doing both with the navigator's analog stick.  If you want to shoot, you hold the trigger button down which gives you a cursor that you can move around by pointing the Move controller.  You shoot with the big Move button on the top of the Move controller.  I think that is the way RE4 controlled on Wii, where you held the trigger to equip your weapon, aimed with the wiimote, and shot with A.

Not sure what you mean about switching out two controllers.  The only part that requires a USB port is the camera.  The Move and navigator controllers are wireless (and don't even have to connect to each other with a wire like the Wiimote and nunchuck).  I would imagine, though, that you can trade the camera in and out and only plug it in when you want to use Move for a game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »

Move Re5 controls almost exactly what wii re4 controlled like.
When you are in aiming mode you can point the wand anywhere on the screen and use the nav con to shift your view up/down/left/right.  You can use your knife at anytime by waggling the move con.
I'm slightly bummed b/c:
1. Re4>re5 IMO
2.  I forgot that my save from my first time playing re5 was on my ylod ps3 so in order to get to mercs or any of the extra content, I have to beat the game from scratch, when all i want to do was play mercs.
I'm like on 2-3 now.  None of that is the moves fault, it controls great.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »

I downloaded the demos for Tumble and the Sports one and tried them out.  The accuracy of the Move is definitely better than the wiimote and playing the table tennis game in the sports demo was a great deal of fun.  I also enjoyed the Tumble demo as it was neat to see how you could manipulate the blocks and stack them.  When I picked up my Move controller at about 8:45 PM on the first day they were available at Gamestop, I was told that I was the first person to buy one.  Hopefully it was because they were supposed to launch later in the week, but came out early, though nobody really seems to be talking about it on here anymore, so it could be nobody cares.  It would be nice to get some HD-quality games that really use the controller effectively.  it is nice to have some mini-game collections, but I guess when Killzone 3 comes out, I can see how it works for an FPS (I don't think I will ever buy MAG, which I believe is the first one that will have support).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 02:56:16 PM »

I see much more enthusiasm here than for the Kinect, so at least there's that.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Move. Its way of controlling things is a known quantity through the Wii, only it's better implemented here and with a much better console. I think we're going to see a lot more sales of the Move once there's a larger library of good games for it. Right now there's so little available that you'd take a bigger risk by by purchasing it than if you wait a little longer.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »

Yeah, absolutely.  There's just not much to talk about yet.  If they get momentum, it could be really great, if not, it may just be another EyeToy/PS Eye.

I'm looking forward to MAG to see how well they can implement it in that genre, however, for the most part, it's like they haven't used the nearly half-decade of Wii games to figure out what works and what doesn't.  Sports Champions is great and a good example of how to do it right, but it doesn't have long legs.  Tumble works pretty well, too, but the game is a little dry.  RE5 is good, but I enjoyed RE4 on the Wii a lot more (that could be due to the game being better, but there was something about the Wii control scheme there that I liked a lot more than the Move).  After that, it starts falling off quickly.  Start the Party is an almost decent mini-game collection, but there aren't enough options and not nearly enough mini-games.  Racquet Sports is blah.  That Beat making demo is less than nothing and doesn't control as well as it should.  TV Superstars is awful, Kung Fu Rider is awful.  EyePet is lame.  I couldn't get Tiger Woods to recognize the controller, but I hear it doesn't work so well (as opposed to the WM+ versions of the last two years).  High Velocity Bowling is supposed to be poorly implemented.  Planet MiniGolf works okay, but the game is so frustratingly hard, it doesn't matter.  Hustle Kings is a great game, but is terrible with the Move. 

I get that some things may seem a little thin or poorly implemented due to a rush to get them out for launch, but there's a wealth of info out there about what works and what doesn't in a Wii game. 

There are potentially good games coming (the Shoot was fun, if they can tighten up the control a little), but not enough yet.  Most people would be much better off waiting.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »

that's a bad sign then.  they launched too soon to beat kinect, but instead of "hey, let's get this cool thing now" we get even less than the wii's launch catalog and the same promise we got at e3:  imagine the possibilities. 

it may be ahead of kinect at this point, but nobody cares of a neck-to-neck fight for last place. 

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »

I can't see them delaying it for 18 more months till games with specific in built support are available.

However games like TW12 etc will probably be much better for a year of additional work and support on it. Especially if the Wii version is anything to go by.

Move and Kinect could well be slow and long burning and end up being part of the PS3 and Xbox bundles in the future to allow full ownership and integration.

Can't see either of them being a failure long term. I can also see them being standard as part of the next gen of consoles so a long term view could well be necessary.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »

They could be failure long term if they follow the example Sony has set in the past with camera peripherals.  Meaning release it along with a couple of games and see if enough people bite to continue making games for it.  As opposed to continuing to make games for it to build on initial interest.

I agree that TW12 will probably be fine, but I don't get why making TW10 & 11 for the Wii didn't translate into at least a functional game this time around.  They should have learned enough from Wii TW10 to make PS3 TW11 better.  I know there are different teams working on these things, but didn't the guys making the TW Move at least play some Wii golf to see what worked?  And then maybe talk to the other team?  With some of these games, it really seems like no one even heard that the Wii existed before.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »

I can see them being a failure as there is no lack of precedents for failed accesories in the console market. I think sony may have been scared to release Move after kinect and could have waited until bigger games were available as the lineup is slim with many signs of poor design or implemention. That TW wasn't any better now than at E3 is a big problem as it allows anybody matching Move against the wii can directly compare the two, with Sony clearly coming up short.  

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »

Well after reading the TW forums it seems with a few tweaks TW11 works fine. It certainly hasn't put me off picking it up next week.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on September 23, 2010, 06:05:08 PM

Well after reading the TW forums it seems with a few tweaks TW11 works fine. It certainly hasn't put me off picking it up next week.

I'm not sure what you saw, as I was searching there for quite a while just to get the game to recognize my controller.  It never happened (I was able to return it), and a number of people were having the same problem.

I never saw anything about tweaks to make the game actually work well once you were actually able to use the wand.  Maybe that came in after I was there, but the most positive comments I saw were along the lines of: "It works okay, at least."  A lot of comments weren't quite as effusive.  And "broken" came up a few times.  Granted these are forums and the ire tends to rise, but it didn't sound like it was worth the $60 I paid for it.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2010, 07:08:48 PM »

I didn't have a problem with the demo, so I figured it was safe for me to pick up ($40 at Target this week).

Should I be scared?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 23, 2010, 07:08:48 PM

Should I be scared?

yes, but not for that.

don't worry, you'll find out soon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:28 PM »

I didn't have a problem with the demo, so I figured it was safe for me to pick up ($40 at Target this week).

Should I be scared?

I didn't get the TW demo (I already had an Eye), so I don't know if that wouldn't work for me.

If it worked, and you enjoyed how it played, you may be okay.  I hadn't heard anything about people saying the controls were worse than the demo.

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »

I read that some people that has issues getting games to recognize the move had to do an in xmb move calibration and the games worked after that . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on September 23, 2010, 07:44:56 PM

had to do an in xmb move calibration

that sounds.... erotic.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »

Heh I just had a brain fart.  Couldn't figure out what TW was.  My best guess... Trade Winds.  Tried out my friends Move over the weekend.  Not too impressed.  I guess I'll wait and see if there is some incredible software out and not the typical Wii crap.  I'm skeptical about SOCOM; also the last SOCOM blew so that's not a good sign.  People complain about Kinect pricing but this thing is expensive if you're getting a camera, nunchuck, second ball etc.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2010, 07:12:10 PM

Should I be scared?

yes, but not for that.

Are you hiding in my closet again?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 23, 2010, 11:59:12 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2010, 07:12:10 PM

Should I be scared?

yes, but not for that.

Are you hiding in my closet again?

may- er.. no.

paranoid

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2010, 02:54:20 AM »

Killzone 3's implementation actually looks pretty fun, then again I'm a fan of using a pointer to shoot as much as a mouse to aim. However, I'm really not a fan of moving the cursor to the edge of the screen to turn the view.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on September 23, 2010, 07:44:56 PM

I read that some people that has issues getting games to recognize the move had to do an in xmb move calibration and the games worked after that . . .

I'm not sure how you do that.  I don't see an option to calibrate in the XMB.  Pressing Select doesn't seem to do anything.  The only thing I've been able to do is reassign the controller number, but that didn't help.

I returned the game.  I'll wait and see if it improves or get the John Daly game, if that gets decent reviews.

I downloaded the demo from PSN, but that version doesn't seem to be Move capable.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »

I tried MAG last night (the 2.0 patch came out yesterday).

It's pretty good.  There's a hell of a lot of tweaking you can do with the Move controls in the game, and I haven't quite got it perfect yet, but it certainly seems like they've tried hard to make Move controls work well in the game.  However, I doubt they're exactly competetive.  It may have something to do with the adjustments I'm doing, but as smooth and fun as it is, it seems the controller might still be ideal in a game where other people are using it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »

Problems with cursor drifting.

I've noticed this most with Tumble, myself.

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »

Picked up a move controller over the weekend (already had a camera thanks to an Amazon Gold Box deal a couple years back), and downloaded a bunch of the demos from the PS store.

Overall - I was pretty "meh" on the whole move experience. The tracking does seem a lot better than the Wii, but I didn't see anything that made me feel like it was enough of a jump to justify the cost.

Of all the games I tried, the only that really seemed to be any fun was the sports champions but even that didn't seem like such a huge leap forward from the Wii Sports games to justify the additional cost.

My daughter liked the Eyepet demo but we had a bunch of issues with it's ability to recognize things in the room and the resolution of the camera looks absolutely horrible when the camera attempts to zoom in on the floor.

On the positive side - at least I'm now setup for when a game does come out that justifies the tech.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2010, 01:09:43 AM »

I bought Time Crisis: Razing Storm and a gun for the move), and I have to say there's a lot of game in there, and it's mostly a lot of fun.

You get the main game, but it also has a "full" FPS game included.  That is probably the weakest of the bunch, but the effort is appreciated.  The gun I got has an attachment to use the nonchuck on the front of it, but it's not very practical.  I tried the regular controller, too, and it works but the gameplay is clearly geared toward swinging your cursor around the screen.  I'll try to use the Move without the gun, but I don't know if it'll be much better.

However, the other, more traditional shooting games are great.  There's the Arcade version of RS and even a couple of other modes for four player, though it seems to be something entirely different and involves everyone using the same controller, somehow.  I'm not entirely sure what these are about yet, but I imagine they're score-based challenges.  Also included is Time Crisis 4.  I never played the last version, but it seems to be the Arcade version only, but there's a full game there.  Both have decent graphics for a light gun game with the high-energy story-line you'd expect.  However, neither of them comes close to the goofy fun of Deadstorm Pirates.  I was expecting a goofy PotC rip-off, and that's exactly what it is.  However, I was also expecting it to be a terrible throw-away, and it's really not.  I easily had the most fun with that game this afternoon.  Total blast.

Overall, it's not a must-buy or anything (most lightgun games don't fall into that category - HotD:Overkill may be the only exception).  It's certainly no reason to run out and get a Move.  However, I was very surprised at the amount of game included and the quality.  If you have a Move and are looking for something to do, you could do a lot worse.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2010, 01:22:34 AM »

Interesting...

Was thinking about this or The Shoot....

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 20, 2010, 01:22:34 AM

Interesting...

Was thinking about this or The Shoot....

Get Time Crisis, way more game for your money. It's basically 4 full games on one disc.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »

Plus, the Giant Bomb Quick Look at The Shoot made it seem exceedingly mediocre.  The Time Crisis one looked like a much more entertaining game.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2010, 03:48:49 PM »

the Move steering wheel

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »

they got a new bundle coming out, replacing Sports Champion with Move Heroes.  if Heroes turns out to be good I might just grab the bundle.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2011, 10:59:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 28, 2011, 10:45:00 PM

they got a new bundle coming out, replacing Sports Champion with Move Heroes.  if Heroes turns out to be good I might just grab the bundle.

Yeah but Toys R Us only...LAME
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »

I picked up a move this week for use in Dead Space Extraction and I have to say that I'm very disappointed.  Not sure if I have faulty hardware but I have to recalibrate it quite frequently (proably every 10-15 minutes in game).  It just won't keep a consistent center point.  Very frustrating and I might end up returning it. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 29, 2011, 03:29:19 PM

I picked up a move this week for use in Dead Space Extraction and I have to say that I'm very disappointed.  Not sure if I have faulty hardware but I have to recalibrate it quite frequently (proably every 10-15 minutes in game).  It just won't keep a consistent center point.  Very frustrating and I might end up returning it. 

Yikes. As someone who was thinking of getting it for Extraction as well, that does not sound good.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »

I've played through the first chapter of Extraction using Move with no issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: