http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:45:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playstation 2 R.I.P.  (Read 742 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »

I must of missed this

PS2 Officially discontinued

PS2 ends after 12 years

Playstation 2
March 4th 2000-December 28th 2012
over 150million units sold

I will say i bought my PS2 just a month or so after launch and it never needed replacing,and i have never bought another and i still play on it(FFXII and GTA:SA just a couple of months ago),i was very tempted to buy the mini PS2 when that was released,but never did get round to it

greatest PS2 memories?

-Playing the demo for Metal Gear Solid 2 which came with Z.O.E. games
-being amazed at the city in Grand Theft Auto 3
-having the ever loving shit scared out of me walking through the fog at the beginning of Silent Hill 2
-having an all nighter with friends playing Medal of Honor Frontline

What are yours?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »

Dark Cloud 2, no question.  I bought a PS2 for that game and played is obsessively for weeks afterwards.  Rogue Galaxy was good, but didn't quite capture the same magic of bouncing around in time, building towns and leveling up my weaponry.

Am I allowed to vote for Persona 3 and 4 if I technically played them on my PS3?

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

Sofar, they're only stopping the PS2 distribution in Japan, though manufacturing has stopped entirely.

Making room for PS4 manufacture, perhaps?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »

The week that UBI dropped the price for Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Beyond Good and Evil to $20 each

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 07, 2013, 11:38:45 AM

Dark Cloud 2, no question.  I bought a PS2 for that game and played is obsessively for weeks afterwards.  Rogue Galaxy was good, but didn't quite capture the same magic of bouncing around in time, building towns and leveling up my weaponry.

Am I allowed to vote for Persona 3 and 4 if I technically played them on my PS3?

-Autistic Angel

I still have the first--and only--PS2 I bought. At launch! And I have a copy of 'Dark Cloud 2' that I never touched. I think I'm going to make it a resolution to give it a spin in 2013. smile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »

I got on a PS2 kick a couple of years back - there were a bunch of games I didn't get to play but still wanted to. However, I hated playing on the widescreen due to the graphics, and once I moved I got rid of my last SDTV. At that point I gave the console to my nieces and nephews.

I'm really hoping PS2 classics becomes a thing for the Vita because there's still a lot of games I'd like to play.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »

While I have a lot of good memories of my PS2 (playing co-op Dynasty Warriors for one), my first one had to constantly be realigned to read disks correctly. So I got a slim version since I figured that it would fix said issues and be more reliable.

Unfortunately less than a month after I got the slim it stopped reading game disks, would read movie dvds, but not games. Sent it in and got it repaired. Less than a month after I got it back the drive started dying completely.

There are a lot of PS2 games I would like to play, but, not buying another PS2, and it just irritates me to think about repairing the one I have again.  icon_smile

Fortunately the hundreds of hours of good times outweigh the frustration.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »

I never had that much emotional attachment to the PS2 as when I went console, I went XBOX.  That said, some of my best experiences in gaming were on it.

Metal Gear Solid 1-3
God of War, God of War 2.
Shadow Hearts

are top of mind.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 07, 2013, 08:09:00 AM

This.  I would count that and the realization I could do anything I wanted in Morrowind as my two favorite gaming moments.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 07, 2013, 07:19:33 PM

This.  I would count that and the realization I could do anything I wanted in Morrowind as my two favorite gaming moments.

I don't think they intended players to start teabagging dead Khajits though.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2013, 07:30:45 PM

Quote from: hepcat on January 07, 2013, 07:19:33 PM

This.  I would count that and the realization I could do anything I wanted in Morrowind as my two favorite gaming moments.

I don't think they intended players to start teabagging dead Khajits though.....

Then they should never have included the console or the mod kit in the damn release!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 02:11:11 AM »

Shadow of the Colossus. Played on a ~150" screen thrown by a 720p projector against a white wall.

The most epic gaming experience I've ever had.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »

I'm still using mine as a DVD player. I just wished they'd found a way to let you power it down (standby mode) via the remote because it's So Much Effort to walk to the console and press the button.  icon_razz

The funny thing is, I bought a Goldstar DVD player in the stone ages of DVD and ALL DVDs skipped and stuttered on it. I kept sending nasty grams to the then fledgling Netflix saying "All your damn DVDS are scratched up!" No, the Goldstar player just never worked properly -- I didn't realize this until I got a PS2, and every DVD that had skipped on the Goldstar played beautifully.  icon_redface

I can tell from the way store shelves are shaping up I will have to get with the BluRay generation eventually.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »

best moment: finally getting to play Katamari Damacy and quickly realizing it was better than i had hoped it would be.  still one of the best capital-"G" Games of the past decade and one of my all-time favorites.

-Playing the demo for Metal Gear Solid 2 which came with Z.O.E. games

GOOD GOD THIS WAS TWELVE YEARS AGO
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:55:11 AM by hitbyambulance » Logged
TarrenVonRose
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 05:10:13 AM »

This makes me seriously sad. I loved my PS2 since it honestly was my only system other than my N64. I remember getting it on christmas from my parents with Test Drive and Kingdom Hearts. I stayed up until 2 am with my step father watching me play test drive on the tele in the living room.

If i'm not back in five minutes...... Wait another five minutes.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: