http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:47:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playstation's free service could be stripped down, says Patcher  (Read 430 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »

Sony is preparing for its biggest loss in company history and new CEO and former PlayStation boss Kaz Hirai is facing a steep challenge. What does this mean for Sony Computer Entertainment and the PlayStation business?

Well, for one, it's clear that Sony is going to be stressing PSN and online services, as Hirai's new strategy outline indicates: "The Company also aims to increase sales by enriching its catalog of downloadable game titles and subscription services available through the PSN platform."

Could Sony actually abandon its free online multiplayer option and go the Xbox Live route, charging players an annual fee? It's not likely, but what could happen is that the free version gets minimized and Sony will do everything it can to entice consumers to sign up for an enhanced paid version of PSN.

"SCE should also look to partner with other networked media providers worldwide, particularly in media such as cable television"

"I think it's unlikely that they will require a fee, but think they will strip down the free version to multiplayer and not much else in order to encourage people to pay the fee," Wedbush Securities' Michael Pachter told us.

Billy Pidgeon of M2 Research agrees. "Providing networked services for online gaming is not inexpensive, and charging for these services would help Sony defray those costs. I think Sony would best benefit by continuing to build out on the currently employed freemium model, charging for enhanced, tiered and incremental items, services and add-ons to add value to the online gaming experience," he said.

I doubt Sony will do anything this generation as it'd cause far too much backlash if they started charging for something we've been used to having for free since the beginning, but come PS4 I wouldn't be surprised if Sony went the MS route and started charging for even basic online stuff on the console like netflix streaming and multiplayer gaming. If MS can get away with it, why not Sony too?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »

Well they've laid the groundwork with PS+

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »

I'm not too keen on that. I think it would be a terrible move. I think the adoption rate its had has been due to the free access, so forcing people to pay for access could be detrimental. I don't use the services much, but I think if they do that, they'd need to distinguish between online services and patching so that those who don't care about the service can still get online to patch their games.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 15, 2012, 07:34:59 PM

I'm not too keen on that. I think it would be a terrible move. I think the adoption rate its had has been due to the free access, so forcing people to pay for access could be detrimental. I don't use the services much, but I think if they do that, they'd need to distinguish between online services and patching so that those who don't care about the service can still get online to patch their games.

Well that's exactly how Xbox Live's Silver (free) service works: you can still patch all of your games, download demos, trial XBLA games, rent Zune movies, etc.  You just don't get online play or access to some apps like Netflix, you miss out on sales, and sometimes have delayed access to demos.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:29 AM »

Sounds like pretty much how I use my PSN access  icon_lol I guess it wouldn't really affect me too much then.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:44:58 AM »

Actually, if anything the loss might mean they want to push the PS4 out faster to switch people into a subscriber only PSN tied to the new system.

Of course, that assumes they have the money for it.

Sony's weird and entrenched corporate structure gives us both some very stupid moves, but also some really great titles that wouldn't be made elsewhere.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »

Like Noby-Noby-Boy? retard

slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »

No trade ins, and I have to pay more $ to watch Netflix.

Is there any good news for the consumer with these next gen consoles?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 16, 2012, 12:29:23 PM

better graphics biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 16, 2012, 03:09:50 PM

better graphics biggrin

Sad but true I am afraid.   

Heh, I do not have a problem with the graphics now.  Wish they put the new console thing off till 2015 or something.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

Actually, not just better graphics, although there will be a lot of that.

One of the major improvements they could do for consoles is actually memory. Jumping up to a full 1GB of memory is a huge change, at first developers will use it to boost graphics, but there will be a point in the cycle where it will be used majorly enhance gameplay, like making AI better.

Also, it's likely netflix could remain free to consumers, at least no subscription fee through PSN. After all, things like net enabled TVs and roku box can stream with no additional fees. Most, if not all bandwidth being used is directly between Netflix and the customer, not through PSN, so there wouldn't be bandwidth fees.

Honestly MS is kind of ripping you off with that requirement assuming you need Gold to stream netflix still.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 16, 2012, 03:22:34 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 16, 2012, 03:09:50 PM

better graphics biggrin

Sad but true I am afraid.   

Heh, I do not have a problem with the graphics now.  Wish they put the new console thing off till 2015 or something.

Yeah, actually I've been very impressed with what they've been able to do with 720p.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:34 PM »

Look on the bright side-it's Patcher who is talking which means that it's absolutely wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: