http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 08:02:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play City of Villains NOW! go download it!!  (Read 3158 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »

Its on fileplanet. Its open to everyone. You dont need to be a paying subscriber to anything. Its 2.5 GB. Im in like to grab it now. Its only gonna be playable starting this Sunday for a few days as far as I know. Get crackin smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:45:40 PM »

*Salutes*

YESSIR!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 01:03:04 AM »

Lol..pretty useless I guess unless you get on the pay servers. ive been in the free line that says 41 minutes wait since I first posted hours ago....same spot too...408 of 408....Must be some 56krs in front of me.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:26:35 AM »

I've almost finished the download. Will report back with impressions in a bit.

Bit of a shame the stress test only lasts through Sunday. Hopefully that's enough time to be able to check out the base building feature, which I'm mostly interested in seeing.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 04:57:37 AM »

I never played CoH so curious to hear how close this is to that. Made two characters so far, and was pretty impressed with all the options (spent at least 30 minutes making each character), and so far only level 3 with one of them but having fun.

Too early to give any detailed impressions but it's at least perked my interest enough to continue to give it a go tomorrow.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 05:22:40 AM »

Wasn't a fan of City of Heroes and this is exactly like it, except with the villain theme. For some reason it runs a lot worse than the original game.

Didn't get to check out the base building, as I imagine that is pretty deep into the game. Just can't be bothered to go through the atrocious combat that has remained unchanged.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 01:40:20 PM »

Well downloaded it last night and this morning it's corrupt. So much for that idea. frown

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 03:10:21 PM »

Quote from: "siege"
Just can't be bothered to go through the atrocious combat that has remained unchanged.

ROFL...yeah, whatever  :roll:

The core of the gameplay is very similar to CoH, though the playstyles of the archetypes in CoV are different (and in some ways, you could say better...for instance, I think they learned their lesson from CoH and made the ATs have less overlap).

While the above poster is certainly entitled to his opinion, there are many of us that absolutely love the combat in CoH. It really *is* the game, so if you don't like that, then you'd do well to find something else to do.

There are some major new features in CoV, though, including bases for hero and villain groups (and the crafting-related stuff for upgrading your bases), and of course, hero vs villain PvP.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
Well downloaded it last night and this morning it's corrupt. So much for that idea. frown

Ive heard that it says corrupt if you try to open it with anything other than winzip.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 05:05:18 PM »

I was in the CoH beta.  I was in the CoV beta.

For me, it just feels like the same game.  The changes I have seen are too minimal.  

I am a big, big supporter of the idea behind what was/is being done with the City of Heroes universe, but this game has simply run it's course for me.  I agree, the combat in the game is a strongpoint.  It's hard to imagine someone thinking it's not.  It is possible the PvP good vs evil theme will bring alot of the kiddies over, which could help the game in the long run.  I am interested to see how it does on release.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 05:14:02 PM »

I played it yesterday for a few hours. It's CoH with different skins IMO, but that's at first glance.

My initial dl from Fileplanet was corrupt too.  This is the third file I've pulled down that was corrupt initially, but not after the second dl.

This started after I started using the new download manager they have.

I use WinZip.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Ender
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 05:46:48 PM »

Seeing how 95% of the players will be villains and only about 5% will prolly stick with their old chars, I highly doubt pvp will be meaningful in anyway.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 06:10:26 PM »

Mines corrupt too...even with winzip...the file Im getting is'nt even one meg in size though. I thought maybe it was it's own downloader program but dont know.

Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 06:54:46 PM »

No corruption problems here, and I didn't use Winzip.. just used the XP built in ZIP functionality.

Proper file size is 2.52 GB (2,707,460,141 bytes)
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 07:34:27 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Quote from: "Charlatan"

Ive heard that it says corrupt if you try to open it with anything other than winzip.

Thanks, I believe that was the problem - unzipping now with WinZip and it appears to be working.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 08:56:31 PM »

Official Beta Tester here, and I have to say that upon looking at the people on the Stress Test, they should rename this game to City of Masterminds. biggrin

Yes, it's a fun class, and one that's absolutely nothing like anything in City of Heroes, but I'm afraid of how many of them are gonna be around during final.

Then again, having your own party of robots, undead, foot soldiers, or ninjas is highly appealing...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 09:12:28 PM »

LOL, that's the first class I created.

Lvl 5 Magic Mastermind with the Dark line and Zombie Horde

The ever popular MM is the robot one with trick arrow.

I want to try the Ninjas next.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 11:54:36 PM »

Quote from: "Ender"
Seeing how 95% of the players will be villains and only about 5% will prolly stick with their old chars, I highly doubt pvp will be meaningful in anyway.

I think this is a very legitimate concern.

Masterminds were the first set I tried, and at first I was really enamored with them, but long term, I don't want to do that much managing. I'm finding that I enjoy my Dominator far better.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 01:19:59 AM »

Dominator and Stalker are my favorites right now.

Yes, I know I said I wasn't going to do this, but dammit I had to try it out. It was free, though. =) Most likely won't buy the game...

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 03:08:54 AM »

No matter how many times I tried to download it and no matter which server..it always just gave me a little file that insta dloaded and was nothing there yet was corrupt. I gave up.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 07:01:40 AM »

I got it downloaded and installed, but it does the 2.5GB check then says downloading manifest 0KB/0KB and nothing else. Anyone else have that problem?

LiveTAG: happydog
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 12:44:16 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
I got it downloaded and installed, but it does the 2.5GB check then says downloading manifest 0KB/0KB and nothing else. Anyone else have that problem?

I finally got mine to install (only to get a CTD related to my Catalyst driver version!). I had to connect and wait an insanely long time for updates to download. So I'd just leave it for a while.

I'm not willing to roll back my drivers for the weekend, so I'll just say that I enjoyed the 10 minutes I played, and I loved my robot Mastermind that I created.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 03:54:22 PM »

Played a Tech MM last night with Trick Arrow and Robots. So far it is my favorite of the MM builds.

I've played CoH, and I am pretty much burnt out on this type of MMO, but it is cool to try out the new Villian builds.

I will probably try a Dominator later on today.

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 03:57:30 PM »

I had the problem of it doing the 0 of 0... instead fo clicknig on the download, you have to save target as... with the right click.  Very irritatring.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2005, 06:35:24 PM »

For some reason I cannot muster up any excitement for this. Oh well, maybe that is for the best. I really don't need to be messing with an MMORPG smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 07:22:50 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
For some reason I cannot muster up any excitement for this. Oh well, maybe that is for the best. I really don't need to be messing with an MMORPG smile

Yeah, I know the feeling on that one. Blasted fun WoW. biggrin

On another note, does anybody know of a hero (or anti-hero in this case) builder for CoV? There were a few for CoH, and it was quite useful to 'plan' out your character. Anybody know of one that's updated for CoV?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 12:28:02 AM »

I figured I would post my two cents. I hadn't played CoH as both EQ2 and WoW were around the corner so this was a new experience for me.

First I have to say that character creation is a lot of fun. Its got just the right mix of robust options and complexity to it without making it daunting (ala EQ2) It's also got a lot more character creation options than WoW so you can truely make a unique looking avatar. During the stress test I spent several hours creating 4 different unique characters and had blast doing just that portion; not all at once of course.

I liked the introduction you go through in the initial part of the game. The tutorial is built as if you've played other MMORPGs before so I'm glad is skipped the very basics and focused on some other things I didn't know about, such as how to use enchanements.

The world is pretty gritty and ho-hum to me, as I see that just about every day in Chicago. One thing I did like was that everything in the world had substance to it, where things reacted like they were solid, rather than feeling like the world was paper thin ala Guild Wars. I went to a few different "zones" without much change in decor from them so I can see that getting pretty old quickly if it stays like that. You got brick buildings aplenty, shantys, ports, junkyards, and the like to feast your eyes on. Rather depressing so I hope the higher end game brings a bit more visual splendor. But it works for what it is.

Missions were somewhat varied and I liked how they were done. Basically each mission took you in to an instanced zone which is nice as I'm not having to compete with others to accomplish the goal. I only got to level 8 but near the end started seeing the same locals as some "random" style missions were doled out. But again that may not be representitive of the entire game. But there were fun areas such as caves, a haunted boat yard, and a bank along with some lesser exciting areas like offices and sewers.

This will probably change in the real game but the difficulty of these missions got very easy quickly. I did find on the last testing day you could talk to an NPC to raise the mission level monsters (which I did) but I hope they'll default the initial level a notch up so people don't have to hunt down these NPCs, which are a bitch to find as they're not located on the map.

The strange thing about this game was I never felt like a villian. The missions I had were to basically take out other bad guys. I want to do villianous stuff. I would have even been happy doing a mission taking candy from a baby. I'll again warn I was only level 8 so the bad deeds could ramp up and may actually do that the missions, and my contacts, were based around my reputation. So hopfully as the noterity increases the more dastardly missions appear.

Playing with the super villian powers is fun but not a whole lot new here. Basically have the damage "spells", DoT "spells", buffs and other standard MMORPG powers. I still looked forward to leveling to see what I get next but the one thing I didn't like was the fact that it looked like you may be stuck with whatever power choices you make when you level. Hopefully there's some way to redistribute them as the idea of choosing a power you find out you don't want and makes the game more difficult is just no fun at all.

As far as the graphics go they were very good. Dreary but I found them acceptable. Most of the powers have some nice FX to them. I also know that rag doll physicis is new for this game. I didn't exactly get to experience much of this as my character was still pretty weak as far as the oomph of my powers go so I'll hold my observations on this for now.

The game ran fine for me, even with a lot of people present, but I do have a high end rig. The wife doesn't and was really having a difficult time moving around in heavily crowded areas (which there was a lot of during the test). She has a 2.0 gig with 512k on it and was running in 1024x680 which was taxing the system to say the least, but still very playable in the instances.

I had fun with the beta and will probably give it a whirl a month or so after it comes out (to avoid the initial newbie zone overcrowding). If anything I'll want to play around with the character creation some more.

Speaking of which here are two of the fellas I came up with:

Edit: Unable to get the Image Shack pictures to work so moved'em.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 12:36:14 AM »

Quote from: "Crawley"

Holy shit, it's Zartan!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 03:04:57 AM »

And knowing is half the battle.  :x

Go Joe!

And I'm throwing this one in just for the hell of it.

Skeld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 02:44:21 PM »

I played during the weekend and I am really on the fence with this. It is really is basically CoH with a different skin, plus some new additons. But then again, I really like CoH until the level grind sets in. Even though I want to play with all the ATs, it is pretty much not feasible unless I devote so much time to level them all up, I keep thinking that how much better the game would be, if they just lower the leveling requirement by half...

Who knows, I am not much of a soloer, so soloing through stress test might makes me even more disgruntled than I should be. Any of you going to be playing this on release?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2005, 09:51:56 PM »

Oooh, the Baroness!  You know, I'm generally down on anime cosplay, but I think GI Joe cosplay is something I can really get behind.  Thanks for bringing this to my forebrain, Crawley!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that knew who Zartan was.  Go Joe!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: