http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:35:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plants vs Zombies (demo is out)  (Read 3755 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:23:37 AM »

Keep those zombies down!  make sure that they are chompin' broccoli before they chomp your brains!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:11:33 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

I'm all over this due to the brilliant marketing song! I'm not going to get it from Steam just yet, if you sign up for the newsletter you can get early access and a discount, so I'm going to go there. I'm very happy with the price-point - perfect!

There's a zombie on the lawn... we don't want zombies on the lawn...
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on April 22, 2009, 05:25:11 PM

I'm not going to get it from Steam just yet, if you sign up for the newsletter you can get early access and a discount, so I'm going to go there. I'm very happy with the price-point - perfect!

I am expecting this to be $20 at Popcap, which is what they typically price their games at. So, if the $10 price is what you want you will probably want to go with Steam.

I am probably still going to buy from Popcap since I may want the Mac version at some point and they said I could get my order switched if I do end up getting a Mac.  icon_biggrin
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »

I couldn't tell from the screenshot what type of game this was.  Wasn't sure if it was a card game, a tower defense game, or what.  Turns out it is sort of both.  I found this article about the guy that created the game and his ideas:  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/5974-Exclusive-The-Brains-Behind-Plants-vs-Zombies

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »

they've released a demo.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »

Now if only they'd let me unlock my Steam copy...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 04, 2009, 02:47:24 PM

Now if only they'd let me unlock my Steam copy...

This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 3 hours  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »

bah, the trial expired WAY too fast.  can't pay $10 to save one day frown
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »

So Steam is selling this for $10, but it sounds like PopCap is selling for $20? Is that right? Does anyone know if the Steam price is a preorder deal, or their regular price?  I've already preordered it via Steam, but it's possible my GF might want to get it too.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »

I liked the Demo.  Full version is well worth $10.  I just wish I could use my Steam order number to unlock it now.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »

Since $10 is the Steam pre-order price, I would assume it will go up shortly. Yes, PopCap is selling it directly for $19.99 or $17.99 with the 10% off code you will get if you subscribed to their newsletter. I decided to support PopCap directly and am playing the full game right now.  ninja

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »

demo is pretty fun, but not my kind of game. I don't see the lasting appeal I'd have with it. Stick 10 bucks is a great price.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 11:42:04 PM »

The demo was really fun, now I just have to decide where to buy it from. If I buy from Steam I could get Peggle Nights for basically the same price as Popcap's price and there aren't any install limits. If I buy from Popcap I can change my order over to the Mac version if I do get a Mac later this year. Hmmm...

So how much of the game did we get to play? Is the day 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc just one of the 50 days in the game or did I go through eight of the days already? If I didn't even finish one day, then this is a pretty big game! I didn't use the potatoes at all and I just got the chomper plant when the 30 minutes was up.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:43:09 AM »

I'm not a big fan of tower defense type games, but I had a blast with this demo. Which is good, considering I'd already pre-ordered based on my blind faith in PopCap.  icon_biggrin

What's going to make this game great is the sheer number of plants available, and the strategy in choosing which to have in your arsenal. I've already figured out a couple of good strategies, and I'm sure this is one of those games in which people will be discussing "best builds" for a long time.

So how much of the game did we get to play? Is the day 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc just one of the 50 days in the game or did I go through eight of the days already? If I didn't even finish one day, then this is a pretty big game! I didn't use the potatoes at all and I just got the chomper plant when the 30 minutes was up.

I don't know for sure, but I think that's just one day. I'm guessing this based on the fact that we only unlocked a small fraction of the total number of plants, and because one reviewer said he'd already put 30 hours into the game. Apparently there are a ton of unlockables in this game between the mini-games and puzzle/survival modes. Plenty to keep you busy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:45:29 AM by YellowKing » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 02:10:27 AM »

i'd love to see a multiplayer mode where you split your cash between setting up plants and sending out zombies.

btw, I don't really feel that this should be classified as a tower defense game, I realize the basic mechanics are similar but the gameplay just feels completley different.  the grid instead of a path is the major cause I think.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 02:29:42 AM »

I think it's fair to call it a tower defense game.  There have certainly been enough variants on the basic formula that I don't think a set path for the enemies is mandatory.  I know there was a flash version where was no set path for the enemies and their route was determined by your tower placement.  I think Field Runners on the iphone did this too. 

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:56 AM »

PopCap calls it a Flower Defense game.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »

I've heard rumblings of this coming to XBLA, PSN, and Wiiware.  Has anyone heard anything more concrete?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 05, 2009, 03:56:56 AM

Lawn of the Dead: Flower Defense Game

Love it.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 02:58:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 05, 2009, 12:58:26 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 05, 2009, 03:56:56 AM

Lawn of the Dead: Flower Defense Game

Love it.

Yep, brilliant!

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »

The game is up on the main casual gaming sites today - Shockwave, BigFish (coming tomorrow), IWin, and Gamehouse.  You can get it for as low as $6.99 at BigFish.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 03:05:51 AM »

It's pretty much my Game of the Year so far.  I'm hopelessly addicted to it.

I really can't see a way for it to work with a console controller.  Things just get too frantic and there's too much precision involved for it to work with a gamepad.  I really can't see it working with the Wiimote either.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 12:37:21 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 20, 2009, 11:31:45 PM

The game is up on the main casual gaming sites today - Shockwave, BigFish (coming tomorrow), IWin, and Gamehouse.  You can get it for as low as $6.99 at BigFish.

Bigfish needs you to join their club to get it for that price, I think, but there are plenty of good choices on there, if you can stand a little casual gameplay.  You could even see what Chris Jones (AKA Tex Murphy) has been up to with 3 Cards to Mignight.

Quote from: warning on May 21, 2009, 03:05:51 AM

I really can't see a way for it to work with a console controller.  Things just get too frantic and there's too much precision involved for it to work with a gamepad.  I really can't see it working with the Wiimote either.

It could work with a wiimote.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »

For some of the earlier levels it could work with a Wiimote certainly.  Some of the later ones, including the survival modes would be tough to pull off.  At any given point you might have several coins to pick up, sun to collect, and need to place a plant in just the right spot to prevent a zombie from breaking through, all within a second or two.

I'm just not sure the Wiimote has the accuracy/precision for that.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »

Quote from: warning on May 21, 2009, 06:02:48 PM

For some of the earlier levels it could work with a Wiimote certainly.  Some of the later ones, including the survival modes would be tough to pull off.  At any given point you might have several coins to pick up, sun to collect, and need to place a plant in just the right spot to prevent a zombie from breaking through, all within a second or two.

I'm just not sure the Wiimote has the accuracy/precision for that.

They probably couldn't just do a straight port.  There might have to be some balancing.  However, I think if the system involved fields or hot-spot zones that the controller sprung to as you passed over them, it would be quite manageable. 

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »

Quote from: warning on May 21, 2009, 03:05:51 AM

My Game of the Year as well. I probably don't want to know how much time I've put into it.  icon_wink

I think it could work fine on the Wii, maybe with Motion Plus. There could be a multiplayer version where people cooperate on the levels and they could add in some additional upgrades to collect the sun/coins for you better.

Speaking of collecting coins, if you use the Gold Magnet upgrade, does that mean your magnet only collects coins/diamonds or can it also still capture other metal items. It seemed like the former to me, which makes it a pointless upgrade in my opinion.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 06:38:02 PM »

Quote from: JSL on May 21, 2009, 06:31:08 PM

Speaking of collecting coins, if you use the Gold Magnet upgrade, does that mean your magnet only collects coins/diamonds or can it also still capture other metal items. It seemed like the former to me, which makes it a pointless upgrade in my opinion.

The former, but a gold magnet can pull money from anywhere on the screen and it doesn't need to be awoken by a coffee bean in the daytime.  A lot of people like to use a pair of them with a huge number of marigolds in the Last Stand minigame in order to quickly gain a lot of money.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »

I've got 4 more trophies and then I've got my gold trophy.  Maybe then I can let myself be done with this game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 21, 2009, 12:37:21 PM

Bigfish needs you to join their club to get it for that price, I think, but there are plenty of good choices on there, if you can stand a little casual gameplay.  You could even see what Chris Jones (AKA Tex Murphy) has been up to with 3 Cards to Mignight.

BigFish changed their policy.  Although you still join the club when you buy a game, there is no longer any minimum to buy to get the games for $6.99.  As long as you cancel before you're charged for the next month, you can buy any game for $6.99.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 12:45:24 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 22, 2009, 02:54:26 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 21, 2009, 12:37:21 PM

BigFish changed their policy.  Although you still join the club when you buy a game, there is no longer any minimum to buy to get the games for $6.99.  As long as you cancel before you're charged for the next month, you can buy any game for $6.99.

I just got an e-mail abou that.  There are a lot of good games on there, though.  But I enjoy the casual gaming, too.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 01:52:55 AM »

Er, so how do you defend against scuba-diving zombies?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:53 AM »

Either  use the Tentacle Plant or put a Wallnut/tallnut on a lily pad and make sure you have stuff to shoot behind.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 02:36:34 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 26, 2009, 02:23:53 AM

Either  use the Tentacle Plant or put a Wallnut/tallnut on a lily pad and make sure you have stuff to shoot behind.

Thanks I figured it out, it's just that the shooters weren't hitting them. I realized later that your one-shotters like cherry bombs and Squash will kill them.

I loves me some 3-peaters. 4 of those across a line can do loads of damage.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 03:20:46 AM »

Yep.  Get a row of threepeaters with torchwoods in front of them.  Then a row or two of sunflowers.  Then some chompers followed by tallnuts.  Pretty much invincible for a good part of the game.

Now I could tell you a great gloomshroom strategy as well...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »

Great. I just logged in to the game - and it has completely lost my player file my saved game, money, mini-game awards, everything. It treated me as if I were playing the game for the first time.  thumbsdown

edit: be warned - this appears to be a game-breaking bug for some people.  Some have lost 20 or more hours of gameplay.

BACKUP your saves! esp if you have the Steam version.

edit #2: I didn't get too far into that thread, but there seems to be a fix. In Vista, the game keeps it's saves in:

C:\ProgramData\Steam\PlantsVsZombies\userdata (might need to enable hidden folders to see it). Go there and make sure the folder hasn't been assigned a read-only status. Luckily my old saves were still there. I copied them to my Steam userdata directory and all was well again.

I'd definitely recommend backing up the above listed folder anyway, in case something gets borked again later.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 03:56:54 PM by Jeff » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »

Coming to XBLA (and iPhone).

http://www.destructoid.com/finally-plants-vs-zombies-announced-for-iphone-and-xbla-145100.phtml

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »

they have a flash version of the game on their website now.  it's not the full game but enough to give you a taste.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »

I'm still playing this on a fairly regular basis with my 3 year old. He's not bad at vasebreaker and the bowling mini-games. His strategy is pretty weak other than that.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 20, 2009, 05:58:37 PM

awesome, that's what I was hoping this morning!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

If plants fighting zombies is too pedestrian for you, how about Shannon Tweed fighting groupies in Shannon Tweed's! - Attack of the Groupies, a PvZ clone  saywhat

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: