http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:34:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planetside...?  (Read 2174 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 968


View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:24:21 PM »

I've always been interested in playing this game again (after a two week long bout when it was first released).  Now there is a $20 version out with two expansions.  I would like opinions on this game in it's current state, and if it's worth looking into.  Are enough people playing it each night to make it worthwhile?  And is anyone from CG or GG still playing?  I remember Redfive being a fan of the game, is that still so?

I finally got broadband, so I'm itching to get into some online games.  Planetside seems like my type of thing.
Logged
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 222


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 12:03:32 AM »

Core combat (the first xpack) was hated by most when i played. I didn't buy it since nobody played in the caves and it only came with a few hard to get vehicles/guns.

I would read the planetside forums for info about those mechs. I just learned about that xpack and so i instantly went over to the planetside forums to learn about them... sadly, the general opinion seems to be that they are insanely powerful with the only drawback being a huge 45 minute timer on getting them (which means that people will probably just gank with them so as not to risk them).

I for one will not be getting this xpack or resubbing to planetside. Getting omgownzered by mechs is not my idea of fun.
Logged
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 968


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:12:00 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.  Maybe I'll wait on this one.
Logged
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 360


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 12:52:43 AM »

I played the game for the first 4 months it was out and loved it. The original game is one of my favorite all time. I have never been in a battle like that game, hundreds of ‘real‘ people fight in a battle. It was great.  This is the only MMO that I have ever gotten in to also. I did not try core combat because I heard the same things about people not liking it. With the new expansion I have been thinking about picking it up again. Hopefully there is some forum players playing.

I think the game is defiantly worth a try if you have not played it.
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 12:57:37 AM »

I have never been able to get into it. I tried again and again on my old press account, and I just found it slow, lacking in coherency and consistency and with action that just wasn't as much fun as most non-massively multiplayer or single player shooters. I know im in the minority though, it seems to be pretty popular.
Logged
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 232


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 12:46:58 PM »

I played for a few months.  It was pretty fun, I never really had a problem finding squads and such.  It was a good "I don't know what I want to play so I'll play that!" sort of game, if that makes any sense.

  If you're not a FPS fan don't even think about it. slywink

  PS  I'm planning on trying it again with that new expansion just to see the mechs in action.  I hope my stores have it in by Friday!
Logged
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 723


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 01:56:42 PM »

Quote from: "crumsteel"
I played the game for the first 4 months it was out and loved it. The original game is one of my favorite all time. I have never been in a battle like that game, hundreds of ?real? people fight in a battle. It was great.  This is the only MMO that I have ever gotten in to also. I did not try core combat because I heard the same things about people not liking it. With the new expansion I have been thinking about picking it up again. Hopefully there is some forum players playing.

I think the game is defiantly worth a try if you have not played it.

I'm the same way.  I loved it when it first came out, and the first few patches were steps in the right direction, but somehow they really lost their way in regards to actually making a balanced, fun game.

I hopped back on a few months ago expecting to see a lot of the little flaws fixed and all the original weapons and equipment nicely balanced, and... nothing.  Heavy armors are still owned on a regular basis, they are still balancing weapons, etc.

And on top of that, as has already been said, Core Combat was perhaps the worst expansion in the history of expansions.

Oi, gets me all worked up just talking about it... so I'll stop there. Tongue

s
Logged

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 119


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 01:34:09 AM »

Ditto on when it first came out. I got hooked up with a good squad and had some of the best gaming ever - what a blast it was to be part of an army either taking a base or defending it. But, without good squadmates, game just blew goats, and after a while, I sort of lost interest. It was fun while it lasted, but this one truly depends on the people you're playing with.
Logged
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3038


View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 08:15:17 PM »

I'm diving in to Planetside with three friends as of this weekend...what can I say...Big Mecha call to me.  Anyone here on this board part of an outfit?
Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 58


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 08:51:33 PM »

Hm.  Personally, I thought it was a pretty weak game, but for $20 it's worth a shot.

If you are a competitive FPS player, though, stay away.  Very low skill curve.  Also, the devs decided to listen to all the whiny babies, i.e. make it so that every gun is equally useless no matter how skilled you are.
Quote
"OMFG JACKHAMMER IS BULLSHIT ITS NOT FAIR WTF!"

Patch 1.x notes:  Jackhammer rendered useless due to complaints that bad players were dying frequently to skilled NC opponents.


And that was just in the beta.
Logged
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 222


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 09:56:26 PM »

Quote from: "Valhuerdi"
Hm.  Personally, I thought it was a pretty weak game, but for $20 it's worth a shot.

If you are a competitive FPS player, though, stay away.  Very low skill curve.  Also, the devs decided to listen to all the whiny babies, i.e. make it so that every gun is equally useless no matter how skilled you are.
Quote
"OMFG JACKHAMMER IS BULLSHIT ITS NOT FAIR WTF!"

Patch 1.x notes:  Jackhammer rendered useless due to complaints that bad players were dying frequently to skilled NC opponents.


And that was just in the beta.

hahahahaha yes, surgile jack hammer using warpers were not overpowered. who cares if they could warp around, reach you extremely quickly and then instantly kill you.  surgile Jack hammers were probably the noobist "tactic" in planetside. Try using the sniper rifle.
Logged
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 58


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 02:22:27 AM »

Surgile warping?

Sorry, I'm talking about the beta with that commentary.  Examples of what I'm talking about:

Lancer vs infantry.  I had been using the lancer vs infantry before it became popular, as a sort of disposable odds-evener (like the devastator, or whatever that one-shot rocket is), given that it carried a pretty paltry amount of ammunition.  All of the sudden they produce a patch that makes the lancer completely worthless, because every skilless shit started whining about it.  Nevermind that this was during the same period of time that the NC had a very respectable anti-inf phoenix and the Terrans had the horribly broken minigun.  If you were in the beta, you should remember that.  The minigun whose cone of fire never expanded?  Yeah, that minigun.

Phoenix missile:  People complained because decent players could use the Phoenix to really fuck up opposing armies.  So the Phoenix's maneuverability was more than halved, and its fuel drastically reduced.  But good players could *still* use it effectively, so it was totally neutered.  Nevermind the fact that they had just made the Lancer the best weapon in the game, or that the Striker required no skill whatsoever and could fire multiple homing missiles simultaneously, they totally ruined the weapon due to forum whining.

Don't even get me started on the people who whined about the grenade launcher.

In short, I gave up on that game during the beta when the dev team proved they were both spineless and clueless.
Logged
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3428

get naked


View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 02:35:40 AM »

Planetside sucks for all these reasons and many, many more.  Don't go near it, it's a trap.
Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 222


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 04:28:54 AM »

Quote from: "Valhuerdi"
Surgile warping?

Sorry, I'm talking about the beta with that commentary.  Examples of what I'm talking about:

Lancer vs infantry.  I had been using the lancer vs infantry before it became popular, as a sort of disposable odds-evener (like the devastator, or whatever that one-shot rocket is), given that it carried a pretty paltry amount of ammunition.  All of the sudden they produce a patch that makes the lancer completely worthless, because every skilless shit started whining about it.  Nevermind that this was during the same period of time that the NC had a very respectable anti-inf phoenix and the Terrans had the horribly broken minigun.  If you were in the beta, you should remember that.  The minigun whose cone of fire never expanded?  Yeah, that minigun.

Phoenix missile:  People complained because decent players could use the Phoenix to really fuck up opposing armies.  So the Phoenix's maneuverability was more than halved, and its fuel drastically reduced.  But good players could *still* use it effectively, so it was totally neutered.  Nevermind the fact that they had just made the Lancer the best weapon in the game, or that the Striker required no skill whatsoever and could fire multiple homing missiles simultaneously, they totally ruined the weapon due to forum whining.

Don't even get me started on the people who whined about the grenade launcher.

In short, I gave up on that game during the beta when the dev team proved they were both spineless and clueless.

I didn't play beta, but i played shortly after beta. You will be happy to know that for much of planetside's life, the chaingun was nearly totally useless as the assault rifle the TR get was better up until almost point blank (where the jackhammer ruled with an iron fist).

Maybe they made phoenix missiles better or something, but when i went back to planetside a few months ago and started an NC soldier instead of a tr, i had a ton of fun with the phoenix (and got tons of max kills of course). When there were no maxs and i had somewhere to rearm near me, i went after infantry and got quite a few kills too, but it wasn't worth the ammo normally.

oh and surgile = a person in agile armor who uses surge and then jumps around constantly which can often cause them to warp around the place and be impossible to shoot.
Logged
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 723


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 01:54:04 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
it's a trap.


??

s
Logged

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 58


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 02:00:27 PM »

Quote
I didn't play beta, but i played shortly after beta. You will be happy to know that for much of planetside's life, the chaingun was nearly totally useless as the assault rifle the TR get was better up until almost point blank (where the jackhammer ruled with an iron fist).

Maybe they made phoenix missiles better or something, but when i went back to planetside a few months ago and started an NC soldier instead of a tr, i had a ton of fun with the phoenix (and got tons of max kills of course). When there were no maxs and i had somewhere to rearm near me, i went after infantry and got quite a few kills too, but it wasn't worth the ammo normally.

oh and surgile = a person in agile armor who uses surge and then jumps around constantly which can often cause them to warp around the place and be impossible to shoot.


That's nice, but the dev team's sack dropped too late to keep me around.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 55 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.018s, 2q)