http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:26:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirates PSP  (Read 870 times)
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2007, 03:21:32 PM »

19.99 at Gamestop. Anybody get yet, impressions?

Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:30:53 PM »

Maybe, I'll pick it up tonight

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 03:55:51 PM »

I played a lot of the PC game and I'm pretty sure this is a direct port.  It's a great game and seems like it would be really suited to a portable format.
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »

I really didn't like the cartoony, unrealistic PC version.  I was a huge fan when the original Pirates came out in the 90's, but I didn't feel that the new one brought anything new to the table other than improved graphics and annoying minigames.  It REALLY suffered in comparison with the much deeper and better looking experience I got from Pirates of the Caribbean (the Build 12 Mod, mind you.  Out of the box, PotC was a mess).  That being said, it seems like the things I didn't like about the game on the PC will work to its advantage on the PSP, and at $19.99, odds are pretty good I'll pick it up.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:34:32 PM »

Got it yesterday and played around for about 30 minutes.  I have played the pc version and it is a pretty good port.

The graphics are good although a little small while on the seas.  The cutscenes and the inside locals are really sharp.  When sailing the ship the graphics are a bit small but well done.  I have only seen the lightning cloud pass by once but that was really cool.
The map is on the start button and is very crisp and easy to read.

The loading times are very good but when you are in a sword fight and you win it loads(about 2 seconds) to show you sending your opponent going over the rail, which is not much but a little annoying.  You can save at anytime which is great. 

Controlling the ship is a little tricky with the analog stick so I usually use the dpad and it works quite well. I haven't done any land battles yet so I will update impressions later when I get more playing time.

Overall it is a very polished game and I like it alot. 

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »

Can't beat $20.  I never picked it up for PC/console so I figured, "why not?"  It looks like a fun game.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 05:05:43 AM »

Yep a good 20 bucks spent so far.  Still wonder if it is actually possible to add more cannon to your ship like I remember doing on the old pirates... but never could on apprentice level.  Haven't played on a higher level yet so that might change.  The manual does not mention anything about it either.

I just kept ships that I found with the max, or near max, guns after a while.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 06:20:09 AM »

Quote from: shon on January 25, 2007, 07:34:32 PM

Got it yesterday and played around for about 30 minutes.  I have played the pc version and it is a pretty good port.

The graphics are good although a little small while on the seas.  The cutscenes and the inside locals are really sharp.  When sailing the ship the graphics are a bit small but well done.  I have only seen the lightning cloud pass by once but that was really cool.
The map is on the start button and is very crisp and easy to read.

The loading times are very good but when you are in a sword fight and you win it loads(about 2 seconds) to show you sending your opponent going over the rail, which is not much but a little annoying.  You can save at anytime which is great. 

Controlling the ship is a little tricky with the analog stick so I usually use the dpad and it works quite well. I haven't done any land battles yet so I will update impressions later when I get more playing time.

Overall it is a very polished game and I like it alot. 

The left trigger zooms in the view by 3 different magnifications while on the sea.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 08:02:44 AM »

Quote from: drake113 on January 25, 2007, 04:54:52 PM

I was a huge fan when the original Pirates came out in the 90's

Actually Pirates! was almost mid 80's (1987).  20 years old.  I feel old now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: