http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:20:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirates! coming to Xbox and PC!  (Read 991 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2004, 02:20:34 PM »

That is awesome!  I'm looking forward to Pirates!, yarrrrrr.

Atari and Firaxis Games Announce Sid Meier's Pirates! For Xbox; Highly Anticipated Sequel Comes to Windows in 2004; Xbox in 2005

BEVERLY, Mass.-Aug. 13, 2004--Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) and Firaxis Games announced today that Sid Meier's Pirates!(R) for the Xbox(R) video game system from Microsoft is currently in development and is scheduled to release worldwide in spring 2005. Sid Meier's Pirates! for Windows will ship to retail stores worldwide on November 16, 2004. The award-winning 1987 smash hit game, Sid Meier's Pirates!, received unprecedented critical acclaim and set the industry standard for innovative game design with its unique blend of open-ended role-playing, real-time adventures and thrilling action sequences.

"There has been great anticipation for the long awaited return of Pirates! and to see what the team at Firaxis has been able to accomplish with the franchise," said Nancy MacIntyre, vice president of marketing, Atari, Inc. "We are pleased to follow-up what is sure to be a great PC launch this holiday with an Xbox title next year."

"We're thrilled to continue our relationship with Atari to bring Pirates! not only to fans of the original game but to a new generation of gamers," said Jeff Briggs, President and CEO of Firaxis Games. "Pirates! is among the most popular and loved titles in gaming history and Sid and the team here are working hard to uphold the high standards of the franchise."

In Sid Meier's Pirates! for Windows and Xbox, players take the leading role of a Pirate Captain in the 17th century Caribbean - amassing fortune and fame in an attempt to seize a rightful place as one of the most revered and feared pirates in history. Players test their skills as a sea captain exploring the high seas and exotic ports in a richly detailed 3-D world. As your reputation and skills grow, so will the size and quality of your crew, your ability to take on larger enemy ships, raid and plunder heavily fortified ports, and locate ancient treasure.

Sid Meier's Pirates! for Xbox will include a Vs mode and will take advantage of many Xbox Live! capabilities, high fidelity 5.1 Dolby Digital surround and will support HDTV.

Additional information about the franchise and Sid Meier's Pirates! for Windows and Xbox can be found at www.atari.com/pirates or www.pirates-game.com.

About Firaxis

FIRAXIS Games, home of legendary designer Sid Meier, is one of the world's premier independent game development studios. Headquartered in Hunt Valley, Maryland, FIRAXIS has created some of the most successful and award-winning PC games on the market. The company's most recent hit titles include: Sid Meier's SimGolf (published by Electronic Arts); the mega-hit Sid Meier's Civilization III (published by Atari); Sid Meier's Civilization III: Play The World, the multiplayer expansion pack; and Sid Meier's Civilization III: Conquests, the second expansion pack to the legendary strategy game. Firaxis has a rich history of creating great games including: Sid Meier's Gettysburg!, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire and Sid Meier's Antietam!. For more information on FIRAXIS Games visit www.firaxis.com.

About Atari

New York-based Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) develops interactive games for all platforms and is one of the largest third-party publishers of interactive entertainment software in the U.S. The Company's 1,000+ titles include hard-core, genre-defining games such as DRIV3R(TM), Enter the Matrix(TM), Neverwinter Nights(TM), Stuntman(TM), Test Drive(R), Unreal(R) Tournament 2004, and Unreal(R) Championship; and mass-market and children's games such as Backyard Sports(TM), Nickelodeon's Blue's Clues(TM) and Dora the Explorer(TM), Civilization(R), Dragon Ball Z(R) and RollerCoaster Tycoon(R). Atari, Inc. is a majority-owned subsidiary of France-based Infogrames Entertainment SA (Euronext 5257), the largest interactive games publisher in Europe. For more information, visit www.atari.com.

About Xbox

Xbox (http://www.xbox.com) is the video game system from Microsoft that brings people together for the most exhilarating game and entertainment experiences. Xbox delivers an expansive collection of breakthrough games, powerful hardware and the unified Xbox Live online service. The new tagline, "it's good to play together," captures the spirit of Xbox as the social hub of the new digital entertainment lifestyle. Xbox is now available in North America, Asia, Europe and Australia.

About Xbox Live

Xbox Live, which launched in the United States Nov. 15, 2002, allows gamers to play multiplayer Xbox games with other gamers everywhere via a broadband connection. With a built-in hard drive and Ethernet port, the Xbox console is the only video game system built from the ground up for online gaming, negating the need to buy additional, costly peripherals or upgrades. Xbox Live enables gamers to easily find their friends; talk to other players during game play through the Xbox Communicator headset; download current statistics, new levels and characters to their Xbox hard drive; and play online--all exclusive features to Xbox Live.

(C) 2004 Atari, Inc. All rights reserved.

Xbox is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 02:48:43 PM »

Very sweet!  Thanks for the heads up KS smile

Go Gunners...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 03:22:41 PM »

/crosses fingers hoping it's better than Pirates of the Caribbean

slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 03:24:54 PM »

lol, i hope so too, good info thanks for the service smile atari is prodcuing alot of games now.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 03:31:11 PM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
lol, i hope so too, good info thanks for the service smile atari is prodcuing alot of games now.

They have to because of the horrible Driv3r and Enter the Matrix slywink

I'm trying to think of a Sid Meier game that wasn't good and I can't come up with any.  Other high-profile developers, like Peter Molyneaux, have had at least one misstep in their careers, but I think Sid Meier has been above that...and he's been at it longer than anyone I believe.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 05:59:09 PM »

I dont know, he definitely did Simgolf, and that was bad. In my opinion of course.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 06:10:32 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "jimmyorr99"

They have to because of the horrible Driv3r and Enter the Matrix slywink

I'm trying to think of a Sid Meier game that wasn't good and I can't come up with any.  Other high-profile developers, like Peter Molyneaux, have had at least one misstep in their careers, but I think Sid Meier has been above that...and he's been at it longer than anyone I believe.

Here's a couple stinkers :
Covert Action
Magic: The Gathering

Actually, I'm not a big Sid Meier's fan. Granted I'm not much of a builder when it comes to games, but with exception to the Civ series, I'm not all that impressed with Sid.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 12:32:24 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Here's a couple stinkers :
Covert Action
Magic: The Gathering

I actually liked that M:tG game (and the expansions).  I didn't mind the lack of multiplayer since I didn't have anyone to play it with anyway, but I can see that as being a real head-scratcher.

I owned Covert Action way back in the day.  Way, way back!  I didn't like that one.  I thought it might have been because I was a little young for the game, but apparently not.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: