http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 11:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pinball Nostalgia, and a look at what's next...  (Read 1014 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2004, 02:47:01 PM »

The recent release of Pure Pinball for the xbox has me thinking back on all the pinball games I've played over the years... I have enjoyed the electronic version of pinball for many years. The first pinball game I can remember playing is the Atari 800 game - Blaster Master. The one I think I spent the most time with was Epic Pinball, with its thirteen tables... I loved that game. I mastered the Deep Sea table. Loved the safari table. Understood the strange Enigma table. I loved that game.

Then the Pro Pinball series hit. Each game featured a single table, so very well detailed and deep - I never hit more than 10% of the depth of any of those tables. They were incredibly well designed though and still stand as what I see as the 'high water mark' for pinball today.

So when Pure Pinball came out, it was inevitable to compare it to the Pro Pinball series. And it unfortunately, doesn't measure up. That's not to say that it's bad. On the contrary, the game is really quite good and definately worth the $20 if you're into pinball. (Get it! Get it now!) It will definately hold up and keep your attention for a while. Especially considering that it's the first true pinball game on the current generation of consoles.

Playing it, I know that I've become addicted and interested in pinball again. It's been a few years since the last time I played pinball.

So I looked at what's coming up. A search on EBGames only comes up with two pinball titles...

Upcoming, october 4th (GBA) - Mario Pinball... based on the screenshots, this isn't really a purist's pinball game. So it'll get a big ol pass from me.

Upcoming - October, early november (XBox, PS2, GC) - Pinball Hall of Fame

There was this write up on gamespot: "With over eight tables from the 60’s through the 90’s to choose from..." - so, there will be... ummm... nine... tables.  

The best part is the price. $20. That's sweet!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 04:29:29 PM »

Another one to add to the list: Pinball Construction Set was a favorite of mine as a kid!!

I picked up Pure Pinball last week and while it's good, I can't really find a view that I like so it's kinda frustrating to play semi-blind.

Really looking forward to Pinball HoF. Do you know what tables are going to make it into the game? I own a Scared Stiff machine and would love to have a video version to go along with it! smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 04:48:31 PM »

I found some screenshots.... Just one table though - 'big shot'

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/965/Pinball-Hall-of-Fame/p1

smile

And I agree about hte views for Pure Pinball. I find that the scoreboard keeps getting in my way... frown There was one view I found that I liked - I think it was view #7. The default full table view isn't bad, but the top half of the table is mostly a blur... too cluttered.

It's STILL a really sweet and fun game though and highly recommended. (Everyone go get it!!!)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 05:08:30 PM »

Very cool - Screenshot #6 looked like a good view!

I dumped the scoreboard because it kept getting in the way. I'll try your recommendation the next time I play.

Post anything you can find about HoF!!!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 11:52:53 PM »

Personally, I was much more of a fan of the real-life pinball tables than any 'PC made' ones. Although I do have to admit that the Epic Pinball tabkes were an absolute blast to play.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: