http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 09:49:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picross DS  (Read 795 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2007, 05:05:33 PM »

no, i don't have any impressions, not yet anyways.  i am going to check the stores at lunch time though.  hopefully there isn't a shortage of copies or some odd katamari damacy like rush on it.  looks like a great play any time game. 

in the meantime, here's a bit to whet your appetite.  wii picross

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »

Got it last night - loving it.  I'm kind of a newbie Picross fan but I'm enjoying it very much.  I get a very Sudoku-vibe when playing it.

For $20 you sure do get a lot of good stuff - beginner, intermediate & advanced puzzles, downloadable puzzles, wifi multiplayer, wifi puzzle exchange, puzzle creation... the list goes on.

I've started a Picross friend code thread at the multiplayer forum - check it when you get it   icon_biggrin

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,21432.0.html

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »

will do.  for now, i'll get ready with the puzzles on the link.  nice mix of difficulties there.  currently working on 10. 

i'm also a picross newb, but am having fun with this too.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 07:28:09 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »

I'm intrigued by this, but I'm afraid it will go the way of most DS puzzle games for me.  They're fun for the first couple days, then I never pick them up again.  This has happened on everything but Puzzle Quest for me (Brain Age, Meteos, etc.).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 05:31:21 AM »

A lot of fun. Played for 2 hours or so. Anything larger than 10x10 is kind of a pain since you have to zoom, but still a fun game.

Won't be playing online since my router isn't set up for WEP.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:30:12 PM by Lee » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 01, 2007, 05:31:21 AM

I bought a Nintendo USB thingy because of this very reason. The Wii has WPA support, so I wish that Nintendo would put out some kind of firmware update that you could get at a download station that would add WPA on the DS as well.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 03:33:27 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 01, 2007, 05:31:21 AM

A lot of fun. Played for 2 hours or so. Anything larger than 10x10 is kind of a pain since you have to zoom, but still a fun game.

Yeah, the 15x15 puzzles are tricky with moving the screen and panning around.  At least they give you three columns & three rows of numbers while zoomed in.  I've read that using the d-pad controls works quite well for those size of puzzles (10x10 and higher).

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:21:25 PM »

i'll have to give that a try.  i flew through the first two sets last night, and am glad i got this.  i need to get set up with wireless access or get one of those adapters.  so far, it hasn't been able to connect to the AP at work.  not sure what's going on.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 07:03:10 PM »

How does one go about doing the 15x15 puzzles?  I can't seem to find a way to get those large ones started.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 01, 2007, 07:03:10 PM

How does one go about doing the 15x15 puzzles?  I can't seem to find a way to get those large ones started.

Look for lines that add up to 15 first (like: 4-5-2-1). If none of those, then look for a line that has just one sequence of blocks that fills over half the line. Like if there is one line that only has 13 straight bricks, you can figure out a good portion of the line. That should help you get started.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 06:50:11 PM »

about halfway through the first group of 15 block puzzles, and they do take a lot more time to figure out.  i did the last one almost completely by logic though, and didn't muck up until the end.  it was my mistake though, and not because of confusing clues. 

to add to lee's strategy, you also have that option with groups of blocks which add up to more than half of the row.  for instance, a 1 and and an 11, leaving 3 blanks.  as there are only 3 blocks where the 1 could be, the left most possible position for the 11 is the 3rd, and the furthest right position is the 5th.  that means that the 5th through the 13 are filled in.  once you find all of the rows and columns who can be partially locked down, check for any groupings which lock down what can be filled in around what you have already.  i also use a lot of the X, which helps cut down on mistakes on the bigger puzzles.

it would be easier if i had a puzzle to work through to show you what my strategy is. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: