http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:55:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phil Harrison the next Krazy Ken? [Negative PS3 post]  (Read 3027 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

Yeah, I'm marking it ahead of time as I'm tired of seeing all the insults/accusations that keep flying around (and the locked threads, and the manager interference, etc), and hoping that the people involved will just keep it calm.

Anyway...

I'm sorry, but Phil is just a crazy PS3 PR guy. The things he says are insulting to anybody who's really in the know (gamers). Like today's mess, via GameDaily:

BIZ: That actually leads into my next question, because a lot of the analysts have been making a big deal out of the fact that retailers seem to continue to sell out of the Wii while PS3s are found in stock at more stores. What do you make of that?

PH: I think you should talk to the people who are running those stores. Talk to the people who run GameStop, talk to the people who run BestBuy, and they'll tell you that the demand is unprecedented and that they give us kudos for managing to keep a very sophisticated supply chain moving. What our competitors are doing I can't speak to but I know we are achieving our goals of keeping the market supplied and working closely with retailers to make sure they get informed about when supplies are coming in so that they can match their internal and external communications to store managers and consumers about when to buy a PS3. If that means that for Wednesday through Friday there were a few machines on a shelf in a store in Milwaukee, great!

What? I'm sorry, but maybe he means that demand is unprecedented in how few PS3s are actually being sold in stores. Demand for the DSL (which is generally still hard to get, 1 year after launch) and Wii (still impossible to find lying around in store shelves) is unprecedented. The PS3...not so much.

I mean, I know that this guy has to keep a positive spin on things, but it seems that every time Phil opens his mouth, silly pours out.

That said, I do own a PS3, and frankly I'm tired of seeing these constant insults to my intelligence. Anybody with a lick of sense and/or insider knowledge knows the truth - the PS3s just aren't selling well compared to the other consoles.

Also - read the article. It's not all negative like I linked above. Some of it silly, but not all of it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:55:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 26, 2007, 08:48:17 PM

I mean, I know that this guy has to keep a positive spin on things, but it seems that every time Phil opens his mouth, silly pours out.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  It is his job.  Sure it sounds silly but there is not a good way to spin the current situation.  The truth doesn't sound good "It is a great console but really lacks games right now, and it is very expensive."  He would be fired in a minute for saying that.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:59:38 PM »

I actually think there's other comments that are more ridiculous (as well as sort of incomprehensible given their competitors):

Regarding rumble support:

"PH: We have no plans to do so in the standard controller that ships with PlayStation 3. I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that. Having said that, there will be specific game function controllers, potentially like steering wheels that do include vibration or feedback function—not from us but from third parties."

Clearly these technologies aren't mutually exclusive, and if motion sensitivity's the "next-generation feature", why wouldn't someone just buy a Wii?  The subtext is, of course, "We didn't want to pay Immersion," but it's still insulting.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:03:20 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 26, 2007, 08:59:38 PM

I actually think there's other comments that are more ridiculous (as well as sort of incomprehensible given their competitors):

Regarding rumble support:

"PH: We have no plans to do so in the standard controller that ships with PlayStation 3. I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that. Having said that, there will be specific game function controllers, potentially like steering wheels that do include vibration or feedback function—not from us but from third parties."

Clearly these technologies aren't mutually exclusive, and if motion sensitivity's the "next-generation feature", why wouldn't someone just buy a Wii?  The subtext is, of course, "We didn't want to pay Immersion," but it's still insulting.

Wow, thats the stupidest statement ever.. Rumble is a fantastic feature and to say it is "Previous generation" smacks of stupidity and jealousy.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on February 26, 2007, 09:03:20 PM

Wow, thats the stupidest statement ever.. Rumble is a fantastic feature and to say it is "Previous generation" smacks of stupidity and jealousy.

It's not the stupidest statement ever, but I'd have to break the R&P restrictions in order to prove it. slywink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:08:01 PM »

Sounds like Bill Gates' brash statements back in the 640k days.  He's learned to mostly shut up since then.

Frankly, I get the feeling that this guy got into his position when the PS2 was at the top of its game and all the success they had, so he got to keep his job and not do all that much to maintain it.  Now, he's fighting against two successful competitors with a system that has had many bad decisions made about it and he's just blundering after having not been in practice.

I actually get that feeling about a lot of Sony hardware execs.

They really need to either shut these guys up or fire them.  In fact, I think one of the main reasons why they haven't been fired already is the clout he gained from being around while the PS2 was popular.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:16:07 PM »

If it was me, I'd spin it something like this:

"Despite the production complications that inevitably arise when producing a device with so many different leading edge technologies, we've had tremendous success in making sure consumers can buy their Playstation 3 as soon as they're ready to buy one.  Our goal now is to ensure that stores around the country are sufficiently stocked with enough PS3 units to meet the next wave of demand, when the groundbreaking blockbuster titles such as Motorstorm, F1, and Armored Core 4 hit retailers everywhere in the next few weeks."

This would be acceptable and expected BS in my book, sounds good without too much of it coming out your ass.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:09 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 26, 2007, 08:55:15 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 26, 2007, 08:48:17 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head.  It is his job.  Sure it sounds silly but there is not a good way to spin the current situation.  The truth doesn't sound good "It is a great console but really lacks games right now, and it is very expensive."  He would be fired in a minute for saying that.

I agree, and further to that I really don't think Phil Harrison is the problem. Ken Kutaragi -hope I spelled his name right no actually I don't care- is the real problem for Sony; everything silly that Harrison says just pales in comparison to Kutaragi.  Quite frankly  Kutaragi just simply has to go if Sony's to really improve things.

The Sony situation reminds me so much of Yamauchi's tenure at Nintendo. They hemmed and hawed for 10 years before making it possible for him to be pushed out comfortably retire in 2002 and look at the difference!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:22:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2007, 09:16:07 PM

If it was me, I'd spin it something like this:

"Despite the production complications that inevitably arise when producing a device with so many different leading edge technologies, we've had tremendous success in making sure consumers can buy their Playstation 3 as soon as they're ready to buy one.  Our goal now is to ensure that stores around the country are sufficiently stocked with enough PS3 units to meet the next wave of demand, when the groundbreaking blockbuster titles such as Motorstorm, F1, and Armored Core 4 hit retailers everywhere in the next few weeks."

This would be acceptable and expected BS in my book, sounds good without too much of it coming out your ass.

I like that. Yeah, you're still hiding a few things, but it's no longer as blatant as the stuff Phil has said. As a gamer, I'm no longer insulted by what you've said.

You're hired! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:47:18 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 26, 2007, 08:59:38 PM

That most definitely IS the subtext regarding the rumble feature.  Dumbass Sony.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »

As others have said, it's his job. It's not like Peter Moore hasn't made an ass out of himself numerous times on the Xbox side of things especially when things were not going so hot for them in late 05/early 06 and everyone was out for blood with the 360.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 10:17:20 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 26, 2007, 10:13:16 PM

As others have said, it's his job. It's not like Peter Moore hasn't made an ass out of himself numerous times on the Xbox side of things especially when things were not going so hot for them in late 05/early 06 and everyone was out for blood with the 360.

Very true. The Red Rings of Death was never handled well by the Microsoft crew IMHO.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 26, 2007, 10:13:16 PM

The difference, though, is that Peter Morre hasn't said anything near as stupid as what I keep hearing out of Sony's mouth.  The rumble feature quotes are especially stupid.  We know why they don't have rumble.  It also isn't like you can't have both motion control and rumble (hello Wii).  The truth of the matter is when I play the 360 and feel it in a shooter and then go to Resistance and play without it, I notice.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 26, 2007, 10:20:00 PM

The truth of the matter is when I play the 360 and feel it in a shooter and then go to Resistance and play without it, I notice.

That's because you are last-generation dude!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 10:26:33 PM »

The difference, though, is that Peter Morre hasn't said anything near as stupid as what I keep hearing out of Sony's mouth.  The rumble feature quotes are especially stupid.  We know why they don't have rumble.  It also isn't like you can't have both motion control and rumble (hello Wii).  The truth of the matter is when I play the 360 and feel it in a shooter and then go to Resistance and play without it, I notice.

Uh hmm...I'd say this his comments last year about how the 360's backward compatiblity with the XBox has far exceeded their wildest dreams and expectations, easily equals Sony's stupidity.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »

Rumble is definitely a last-generation feature.  Just like polygons.

Just cause she's old don't mean she's broke.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 26, 2007, 10:35:42 PM

Voxels are totally the future.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 10:50:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2007, 10:43:58 PM

Sprites and parallax scrolling!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 10:50:31 PM »

icon_lol  Good old NovaLogic and their voxels.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:13 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 26, 2007, 10:26:33 PM

Uh hmm...I'd say this his comments last year about how the 360's backward compatiblity with the XBox has far exceeded their wildest dreams and expectations, easily equals Sony's stupidity.

Totally.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:54 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 26, 2007, 10:50:31 PM

icon_lol  Good old NovaLogic and their voxels.

HOLY CRAP BLAST FROM THE PAST.  Hadn't heard that term in forever.

gellar
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 11:09:21 PM »

speaking in my newly-found role as a part-time semi-official anti-sony-basher poster, i can only say that this particular guy, & his apparently inherent inabilty to know when to shut the fuck up (like so many previous 'spokespeople' already mentioned or otherwise), has pretty much become a major component of the whole sony-bashing syndrome...

which is why i don't pay a whole lot of attention to any of'm. if something substantial or hardware related comes out (the recent news about the ps3 euro-emulation thing being an example), i'm interested. otherwise, it's like paying attention to... well, politicians, for example...

i really only care about the hardware (& the games) - & everything else, including all of this guy's vapid commentary, is, to my mind, either a distraction or a disservice to what actually matters...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »

I don't believe MS has ever said all games were going to be BC.  We don't really know what their expectations were for how many games would be BC.  It is very likely they did exceed their expectations.  Probably not, though.  icon_lol

Still, I don't think that comes even close to Sony reps saying they would pay anyone who could find a PS3 unit on a store shelf when there have been PS3s on shelves in most places I have been to for quite some time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 11:35:38 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 26, 2007, 11:23:27 PM

I don't believe MS has ever said all games were going to be BC.  We don't really know what their expectations were for how many games would be BC.  It is very likely they did exceed their expectations.  Probably not, though.  icon_lol

Still, I don't think that comes even close to Sony reps saying they would pay anyone who could find a PS3 unit on a store shelf when there have been PS3s on shelves in most places I have been to for quite some time.

Grue that wasn't just a rep saying that, it was their CEO.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 11:46:02 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 26, 2007, 11:23:27 PM

If you take into consideration that some of Microsoft's own big name titles -Midtown Madness 3, Rallisport Challenge 2, Mechassault- still haven't been made backward compatible...yeah it was a very stupid thing to say.
IMHO the non stupid thing would have been an apology for their limited gains in bc but an assurance that they were still making strides to rectify it.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 02:36:29 AM »

If you want to read about what Sony is now saying about their Euro backwards compatibility, check that out.  Sony seems to just dodge questions or problems it doesn't want to address, and that is from a "semi-official" PS3 site. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 02:57:12 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 27, 2007, 02:36:29 AM

If you want to read about what Sony is now saying about their Euro backwards compatibility, check that out.  Sony seems to just dodge questions or problems it doesn't want to address, and that is from a "semi-official" PS3 site. 

Goddamn, Sony just needs to shut the fuck up and worry about why their product is failing and less about spin control.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 03:02:37 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on February 27, 2007, 02:57:12 AM

Goddamn, Sony just needs to shut the fuck up and worry about why their product is failing and less about spin control.

Exaggerate much? No matter how much you may want it to, the PS3 is not "failing".

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 03:16:18 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 27, 2007, 03:02:37 AM

Exaggerate much? No matter how much you may want it to, the PS3 is not "failing".

I wouldn't call it failing either, it's dormant, the sleeping giant if you will, and with Sony saying that they have no plans on a price cut in the next two years, I'd be worried for that mass market pricing and penetration. Sony is getting the biggest challenge in their 10 years in the market, and from all accounts it doesn't look like they expected it to be as tough in the early going. I still stand by my prediction that the Wii will rule the roost throughout all of 2008 but PS3 will start to dominate in 2009 and 2010.

Just more information
Also, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143479

Wii is almost 3:1 beating PS3 in Japan. Eventually developers just go to the system with the larger installed base. At this pace the Wii would have over 3 million more units install base than the PS3 in Japan alone by the end of the year. Obviously, by the end of this year we will be able to make a better call, but a 3 million unit lead wouldn't be easy to overcome. So it's definitely going to be a battle.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 03:27:20 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 27, 2007, 03:02:37 AM

While the PS3 isn't failing by any definition of the term, it's not doing anywhere near as well as Sony has planned, methinks. Sony expected a constant push of consoles sold, just like at launch. They expected to have issues trying to keep units on shelves. Instead, people are happy sticking with their PS2s and other, newer consoles.

Is the PS3 failing? No. Not yet. But if sales don't pick up in the next 6 months or so, they might be in some serious trouble.

Wow - talk about dodging the questions asked.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 03:48:18 AM »

It's funny he mentions milwaukee. While I dont work at milwaukee store we have the same 2 ps3's for over 2 weeks, haha.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 04:09:44 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 27, 2007, 03:16:18 AM

I still stand by my prediction that the Wii will rule the roost throughout all of 2008 but PS3 will start to dominate in 2009 and 2010.

I predict the Xbox360 will rule at least through 2008.  2007 Xmas should be a damn big season for the Xbox.  The Wii I still maintain is a fad and doesn't have legs over the long term.  I've played a good portion of Wii games, and can categorically say most of them suck pretty badly.  Sure, you can say "These are launch titles", but looking at the Wii lineup coming out this year doesn't seem too promising.  My opinion of course.

As for the PS3, unless something drastically changes this coming Christmas, they are hosed.

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 06:41:49 AM »

The PS3 will be fine.  It's just gonna take longer to push numbers is all.  Mostly because the games just are not there, and most of the good games that will be hitting over the next 6 months will be on the 360 too.  I think for the next year and a half, the 360 will own the U.S. (I don't really care about Japan, I don't live there), then the PS3's legs will overtake the 360 as bluray adoption gets even higher, and more exclusives like FFXIII and MGS hit. (Yes it will be that long before FF hits the states).  I myself do not yet own a PS3, but the weird thing is, I KNOW I'm going to buy one once more exclusive games hit.  Right now it's not worth it for me since I already have a 360.  The Wii is definitely a fad.  I think they will have very good system sales also, but I just think the software sales for them will be extremely low in the U.S. in the future, because basicaly there games will suck, except for Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Cart, and some new version of Animal Crossing.  Third Party wise, they just won't be able to dish out great games.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 07:10:01 AM »

Well I think it's clear that the PS3 will not dominate the market like the PS2 did.  I think for anyone to think otherwise is fairly silly (that's you, Mr Sony Exec).

However, to call the PS3 a failure is just as silly.  The launch was, by units sold, more successful than any other console not named Wii (I'm fairly sure of this anyway, I'm just too lazy to find the stats).  It will still likely be the #1 console, though again not with the dominating levels that the PS2 did and certainly not as fast as Sony was expecting.  Sony just has WAY more quality first party titles over MS and there's still a large legion of Sony fanboys who won't even look at the 360.

gellar
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »

I work at a Geek Squad precinct and we always have PS3s in stock yet we cannot keep our stock of Wii's in frown

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »

I think the PS3 will do just fine as long as Sony doesn't do something crazy like lower the price of a stand-alone blu-ray player for the same price as a PS3.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 12:42:42 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 27, 2007, 07:10:01 AM

Well I think it's clear that the PS3 will not dominate the market like the PS2 did.  I think for anyone to think otherwise is fairly silly (that's you, Mr Sony Exec).

However, to call the PS3 a failure is just as silly.  The launch was, by units sold, more successful than any other console not named Wii (I'm fairly sure of this anyway, I'm just too lazy to find the stats).  It will still likely be the #1 console, though again not with the dominating levels that the PS2 did and certainly not as fast as Sony was expecting.  Sony just has WAY more quality first party titles over MS and there's still a large legion of Sony fanboys who won't even look at the 360.

gellar

I agree with you completely and I honestly believe once the novelty factor of the Wii wears off and the inherent limitations of the first gen point and gesture system become obvious and less interesting to the more regular/hardcore gamer-a huge amount of this demand is going to die down. You only capture the hearts and minds of the wacky casual gaming market for a specific amount of time-then they move on to something else, just like any other new fad in the marketplace. The key question is what is the Wii going to do once the novelty wears off, apart from the few (usually superb) first party Nintendo titles that are released? Are people really going to walk into a store and see Gears of War 2 running at 1080i in HD glory and Red Steel 2 in its 480 composite beauty and want a Wii in the longterm just because they can make slashing motions with a sword? I just don't think so-I think the thing sells well but ends up catering so much so to the casual that it lacks the penetration amongst the vocal regulars (not just the tiny hardcore segment). As for the PS3's penetration-who the hell knows? They could pull a crazysexycool and put Final Fantasy 13 on PS3 ONLY OMNGZ!!! on store shelves in September and everyone and their mother in japan would find a way to pay for it, guaranteed.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »

"The PS3 is doing just fine"

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 27, 2007, 12:27:10 PM

I think the PS3 will do just fine as long as Sony doesn't do something crazy like lower the price of a stand-alone blu-ray player for the same price as a PS3.

Which they're doing, according to an article I read yesterday. They're going to be releasing one for $500 (or is it $600) in the very near future to compete with HD-DVD.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on February 27, 2007, 12:52:22 PM

"The PS3 is doing just fine"

Thats funny.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: