http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:47:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phantom Dust : Best Crack Ever??  (Read 1487 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2005, 02:19:38 PM »

My god. I hate card games. I dislike collecting "em all". I despise Dragonballs of any kind.

OH GOD WHY CAN'T I STOP PLAYING??!!!

Aura, Aura, Aura --> Levitate METEOR!

damnit. I'm addicted. Problem is, I don't want to stop.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 02:27:42 PM »

One of the most surprisingly great games I've played in a long time.

They hide the 'card' aspect well!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 02:30:03 PM »

I need to spend more time with it.  I think I just started.  I rescued the girl from that building, and then I think I stopped.  That was like the 5th mission or so.

Did I barely scratch the surface?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 02:46:35 PM »

Expect my review of this to go up in the next couple of days.  biggrin

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 04:31:03 PM »

Is this game worth playing if you don't have Live?
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 04:32:25 PM »

I agree. It's by far my favorite game so far this year. An obscure game I got for $20 with a $20 rebate, and I keep playing it while God of War, Brothers in Arms, etc. sit unfinished. I'm not ready for Jade Empire and Guild Wars this month.

I'm in chapter 6 of single player, and the story is suprisingly good. It's good enough that I keep putting up the tedium of running around the base. There are 142 missions so the 5th mission barely scratches the surface. The multiplayer is quite fun too.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 05:00:30 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"

Yes.  I had a friend over to test split-screen and had a BLAST.  Single player is loads of fun, too.  The real draw is definitely multiplayer, tho

Mike Dunn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:47:30 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I need to spend more time with it.  I think I just started.  I rescued the girl from that building, and then I think I stopped.  That was like the 5th mission or so.

Did I barely scratch the surface?

LD

You don't even have arsenals yet. You haven't even taken the wrapper off the DVD case. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"

Yes. I only play live with my friends, so I'm not getting the "40 extra Live auras". At least, not yet. It's fast, it's fun, and it's got a half-decent story (don't expect any Squeenix vaulted musical scores and academy acting; this is 20bux we're talking)

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 05:11:02 PM »

Guess I have a a somewhat dissenting opinion. To me it felt like half a game(talking about single player). The combat was fun, but not the rest. The small area you have to keep running around in got old fast, and  the dialog and story were pretty lame IMO. Its as is they spent all their time on the combat then had to slap something together at the last moment to try in finish it. Just allot of unrealized potential as a game IMO. For me I was having allot of fun after the first hour but was bored and tired of dealing with the crap outside of combat after about hour 3.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 02:51:37 PM »

my review is up: http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/377.html

Mike Dunn
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 04:18:39 PM »

That's a nice review.

What I dig about the Live play on Phantom Dust is the ability to have matches that incorporate random skills in matches, versus playing with user-created arsenals only.  That gets everybody in on it, giving room for the hardcore players without alienating the rest of us.

The single-player game seems smart about getting you to think about your arsenal -- I'm on a boss fight now that has me tweaking the balance between the skills in a way I didn't hink I'd needed to before.  The game is a steal!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 04:52:45 PM »

Every time I see this thread title, I see the VGCats comic that goes with this game:

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 02:17:46 PM »

The game definately gets my nomination for "Most Unsightly Protagonist of All Time".

But, jokes aside, Phantom Dust is a great game. Picked it up last week, and finally got around to playing it this weekend. If you have an Xbox, and have any interest in CCG's at all, pick this up. It's a steal of a title for 20 bucks. I haven't gotten through all the single player, and haven't even touched the online elements.

The game definately has that 'one more round' additiveness, to test out new cards and combos, and also opening random 'packs' of skill to see what you've got. I stayed up -way- too late messing around with it on Saturday night.

The gameplay mechanic is pretty tight, too. Looks to be that everything has good balance, and I haven't come across a skill or combo that really breaks the game, yet. (again, only single player so far, though.)

This is probably the game that is going to make me finally activate my Live! trial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: