http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:49:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phantom...canceled?  (Read 669 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:52:41 PM »

I'd say that the Phantom 'gaming console' has finally been cancelled, but we all know that it was never in development anyway. You must feel like an absolute ass if you ever gave money to that piece of shit. Anyway, via Joystiq:

As tempting as it was to conjure up a "Phantom console CANCELLED" headline, the realization quickly set in that such a sensational piece of text simply wouldn't make any sense. How do you cancel something that never even existed to begin with? Zing, etc. It would appear that Phantom Entertainment has revamped their ball of lies website, quietly ushering in the demise of an imagined console and the arrival of an allusion to some sort of broadband game service.

Said service is described as "the first end-to-end, on-demand game service delivering online games directly to your living room or any comfortable setting in your home or workplace." Fascinating, but since "the Company intends to modify the Phantom Game Service software to run as client software on personal computers operating Windows XP and Windows XP Media center operating systems," games will only be going to your living room should that be the location of your computer. First indeed.

Further comedic value can be found in the "Who We Are" section, which duly describes the company as "an industry-leading, global entertainment and interactive game company." To be fair, it's probably the most truthful statement to be found on the entire website, as Phantom Entertainment is undoubtedly the leader of at least one industry and is frequently a provider of entertainment. Well, that and $129.95 Lapboards which, with the original console canned, barely have a reason to exist.
(links removed because who really wants to visit the Phantom's website anyway?  icon_biggrin )

So...thoughts? Any honest surprises in the audience?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »

I had forgotten all about it, yet when I saw the thread title, I knew to what it was referring.

I really thought Phantom was gonna be this gen's winner 4 shore.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:40:47 PM »

0h n0zzzz!!!!  wat ab0ut my pr30rd3r??????

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »

And to think that these assclowns were able to gather millions of dollars in venture capital to create...absolutely nothing.  Someone is laughing all the way to the bank.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 05:44:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 16, 2006, 04:17:36 PM

And to think that these assclowns were able to gather millions of dollars in venture capital to create...absolutely nothing.  Someone is laughing all the way to the bank.
Scary, isn't it? Why can't I go make up a company and have idiots (er, investors) donate millions to me so I can fuck around for years? How can I do that?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:32:13 PM »

Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water...
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10497

Although there has been no official press announcement, an update to the website of Phantom Entertainment (previously Infinium Labs) has revealed that the long-delayed Phantom Games Service has now become a software only games on-demand service.

As originally conceived, the Phantom was a customized games-specific PC console designed to use a direct download content delivery service instead of removable media. Amidst considerable criticism of the company itself and notable financial turmoil, the Phantom was repeatedly delayed, despite being demonstrated as recently as a June 2005 edition of the G4 program Attack of the Show.

A recent update to Phantom Entertainment’s website, though, indicates that “The Phantom Game Service was originally engineered to run on a Windows XP embedded operating system on a Phantom Game Receiver managed by Phantom content servers over the Internet.”

The site now suggests that: “The Company intends to modify the Phantom Game Service software to run as client software on personal computers operating Windows XP and Windows XP Media center operating systems.”

In its original form, The Phantom had support from publishers including Codemasters, Dreamcatcher Interactive, Eidos, GarageGames, Interplay, O-3 Entertainment, Vivendi and Atari. It is unclear whether any of these companies are still supporting the service - recent SEC filings have shown debts still outstanding to the majority of them from previous Infinium financial difficulties.

Despite the website update, no further information is given on the release date of the Phantom Lapboard device, which was originally promised to be released “no later than October 2006”.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:29:15 PM »

Said service is described as "the first end-to-end, on-demand game service delivering online games directly to your living room or any comfortable setting in your home or workplace."

GameTap?
Stardock?
Steam?
countless others?

head asplode?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: