http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 07:00:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Universe Review  (Read 1104 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2006, 08:38:52 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=741

Just wondering what others think about the game, the review and the series overall. I had high expectations for this title, I was really hoping that they would take the gameplay a little further. I do think that when you take the game as a whole it's not too bad, but there are a lot of things that make you scratch your head.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 09:40:46 PM »

I liked the multiplayer.  It is a grindfest but it can be fun with a good group.  It is basically the same gameplay as the Dreamcast version with bigger mission areas.  I just was not willing to play an extra monthly fee to keep playing online.  If I want to play a subcription based game I'll just play WoW. 

Personally I thought the single player portion was terrible.. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:45:15 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:57:29 AM »

You don't go into PSU blind.
End of story.
You go into PSU after playing PSO to death.

You don't go into the game expecting a revolutionary new system that will blow your mind away.
You don't go into the game expecting it to compare to every other MMORPG out there right now and expect for it to come out on top.

It is a fun game for those that know exactly what the game is.
New worlds, new race to play, new classes.
Same old combat system with a few improvements added.

Able to switch your class at any time on one character FFXI style? Plus in my books.
Replacement of Mag's with Pm's? Mehh.
Addition of ultimate racial abilities? (nanoblast for Beasts, SUV's for Casts, Crea weapons for the rest) Plus plus.
Item crafting? Blehhhhhhh. Minus.
New environments, bosses, weapons, skills, more outfits, alot more customization on character creation, AND an ACTUAL offline story? Big plus.
Locking in game content and releasing it as "updates" Miiiiiinus.
Ability to whore out your purchased PSU game dvd to everybody you know since it has no CD key function? Hahaha yep, that's a plus.

PSU is the new same ol game.
For those that did not enjoy it before, not for you.
For the rest of us, bliss.

Universe 14, I'm on quite frequently.

Gonna eat your face
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:27:19 AM »

Note: Mikagami plays the PC version, so 360 users won't find him.

And that whoring thing doesn't get you a hunters license, it just means everyone doesn't need to go out to buy a copy.

I don't know if it constitutes piracy, (as some mmorpgs "give away" the software) but Mikagami doesn't do it. Hell, he's in London Ontario. There's no one to GIVE it too. Tongue

I remember him laughing his arse off about it on the phone though... it's almost unheard of to not have to type in a sentence or two of gibberish to install a game.

Oh, and he's an addict.  disgust

Mik, remember to breathe when playing.. oh and the costumes thing? I'm gonna mail you a barbie game or two.. that'll be right up your "little miss dressup" alley.  ninja

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 06:21:44 AM »

I've only played single-player PSO and PSU, and PSU is a huge improvement over PSO.  It's not a great game, but it's a fun action-RPG.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »

Ditto on EddieA. I actually agree with the scores/reviews the game has been getting, as it's really more a niche game in my view. Fortunately I'm in that niche, so I love it, but I can see and understand the various aspects that most people would find limiting and/or unenjoyable. icon_smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:21:12 PM »

Yep.
PSU for PC.
The CD key less ness was related to the PC version as well.
Monthly subscription for playing it online regardless.

As for the original topic, it is a fair review.
You either love or hate the game.
There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with this title.

Gonna eat your face
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 07:33:44 PM »

Oddly, I thought I took the middleground as much as possible. Didn't hate the game, just didn't think that enough attention was paid to the singleplayer and that the SP portion felt stodgy and old. The formula works for Multiplayer games, but there are far better single player titles available for the systems.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 07:58:34 PM »

It is not much of a story mode, but at least it is there and it is a major improvement over what PSO offered.

Everybody I have encountered either defends the game with their life, or complains to no end about what it is and what it should be.

I love the game, and Bronze was very fair score.

Gonna eat your face
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »

It was a good, fair review Tebunker. icon_smile Guys like Mik and I love the game, but in some ways it's because it's an update/facelift of PSO rather than a complete reboot.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 11:13:06 PM »

Two questions:

1) Can you play multiplayer on one xbox (ie split screen)

2) Does the online portion require subscription fee?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:28:53 AM »

1: dunno
2: yes, a hunters license is required.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: