http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 08:14:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Universe (PS2) Impressions  (Read 1066 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:15:50 PM »

I picked up PSU at Toys R Us today (along with Okami and Marvel : UA for a total of $90 smile) and I've put about an hour into it so far.  I'm only playing single-player, but I've heard the multiplayer servers are getting swamped and some are having trouble logging-in.  Also, the manual says that you need 3 MB or so to save the online game (thankfully only 236K for offline).  As far as single-player, I'm really enjoying it so far.  I've been wanting a true sci-fi RPG (other than Xenosaga) for quite a while, and PSU has a very nice sci-fi atmosphere.  The graphics are good, but not great, and the same goes for the voice acting.  I really like the music, even the standard Sega cheesy opening pop song slywink 

There have been quite a few cutscenes so far, but they have been well-done, both the CGI on in-engine scenes.  The interface is well laid out, with a nice quickmenu for both weapon sets and items.  Combat looks like fairly standard action-RPG stuff, but it looks there will be some nice variety, with 20 different kinds of weapons, special attacks (called photon arts) and the ability to have a different weapon in each hand.  It's always fun to shoot an enemy with a gun, and then finish it off with a sword when it gets close smile  I'm also looking forward to unlocking Free Mode, which allows you to play the online portion in single-player with AI teammates.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:28:01 PM »

I'm definitely interested in  how well the single player holds up.  I have zero interest in the mp, but I would be very interested in a well done 40 hour single player story mode. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 11:49:25 PM »

Perhaps grabbing the PS2 version would be worthwhile... please update some multiplayer impressions when you do decide to get online and play   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 11:53:42 PM »

Wow, that "Free Mode" sounds intriguing, how are you supposed to unlock it?

Also what's the singleplayer like so far, don't you get AI teammates already? That free mode has me thinking of picking it up friday though.. I've been dying for an "Offline MMORPG" that simulates an online game!  icon_biggrin

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:06:32 AM »

You just have to get to a certain point in the story mode to unlock Free Mode.  As you play through story mode, you unlock new locations to visit and characters to add to your party.  I'm not sure how the teammates work yet, as I stopped playing right when I got my first two.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 02:14:24 AM »

I'd probably get (for the 360) it if I could buy it in the TRU sale.

You wanna hook a brother up, Eddie?  I'd cover your costs to the penny.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:18:07 AM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 02:25:42 AM »

Eddie keep us informed.  I'm really interested in some single player impressions as well.  When you get more time let us know about leveling(if its a grind like alot of mmorpg), player development, combat, and the single player story.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 05:34:24 AM »

didnt know there was a ps2 version ,thought it was just gonna be a next gen title

do the online gamers get to play with 360 players(and PC/GC if it is available on them),like final fantasy 11?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:10:11 AM »

PS2 and PC players play together, but 360 players are separate, I believe.

"I'd probably get (for the 360) it if I could buy it in the TRU sale.  You wanna hook a brother up, Eddie?  I'd cover your costs to the penny."
For the games released today, they only had the PS2 versions, including PSU.  I was hoping to get Marvel for the XBox, but had to settle for the PS2 version.

Also, the official website is here and it gives a good explanation of the game's features.  With regard to my impressions, please note that I'm very easy on RPGs.  I haven't played many that I didn't like, and you'll rarely hear me say much bad about them, so I'm probably not the most impartial person to be giving impressions slywink
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:15:09 AM by EddieA » Logged

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 06:38:00 AM »

Oh... apparently the 360 version of PSU got delayed a day or two.  Any chance you could call your local TRU on Thursday or Friday and check for me?  If TRU would update their damn website, or ship any new games to their Chicago-area stores, I wouldn't have to be begging ya...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 08:55:06 AM »

I won't be able to make it back to TRU before Saturday.  From what I've read at Cheapass Gamer, some people have had luck price-matching this deal at Best Buy, so you could try that if your local TRU doesn't get it in by the end of the sale.

I put in about another half-hour and finished the first chapter.  The tutorial was done very well, getting you into the game quickly but still explaining all the controls.  It seems to be a fully-developed RPG, with interesting (if cliched) characters, plenty of story, and choices for character development.  There have been a couple of oddities, like the "coming up next on Phantasy Star Universe" mini-trailer at the start of the chapter, and some people would probably call it a bit cheesy, but overall, I like it.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 09:21:29 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 26, 2006, 08:55:06 AM

I won't be able to make it back to TRU before Saturday.  From what I've read at Cheapass Gamer, some people have had luck price-matching this deal at Best Buy, so you could try that if your local TRU doesn't get it in by the end of the sale.
Yeah, I've called a couple local Best Buys and asked if they'd price match -- most have outright said "No," but one said "Probably if you bring a hard copy of the ad in."  I have to plan the public transportation route to get to TRU, then to Best Buy, then home again tonite, then I'm making the run tomorrow...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 03:02:16 PM »

Any more time with this EddieA and can you give us an update?  I'm really considering picking this up because i'm wanting a good real time battle system that is fun with a good story and character development.  Anything else you can report about those areas?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 03:14:07 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 28, 2006, 03:02:16 PM

I'm really considering picking this up because i'm wanting a good real time battle system that is fun with a good story and character development.

Tales of the Abyss is what you want. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 05:54:53 PM »

ya i'm considering Tales, but i like the Sci Fi idea too.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 07:30:57 PM »

I've played a little more, but not really enough to tell much more about the story or characters.  If you haven't played it yet, Star Ocean : Til The End of Time is a sci-fi action-RPG with a great story and character development.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: