http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 12:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phantasmagoria  (Read 694 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »

Picked this up at the GOG sale, and I have to say I don't remember it being so boring. Maybe it's because when it came out it was pretty shiner from the FMV, or maybe it's just my memory going sonny and remembering another game that I played back then....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:36:38 AM »

i haven't tried replaying Phantasmagoria since finishing it when it was first released, but i can definitely imagine it being boring by today's standards.  it was a very slow-paced game back in the day, and relied pretty heavily on it's visual presentation and suspense rather than engaging gameplay to keep things interesting.  the graphic FMV sequences and eagerness to see what would happen next kept me playing for hours at a time, but it really is a 'click-wait-watch' type of game with lots of time spent walking around the environments and looking for the right place to click next.

that said, i really enjoyed it at the time because it was something so fresh and daring compared to pretty much anything else on the market.  i think it would be hard to go back and play it again though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »

I didn't try it when it came out. i was not an adventure gamer back then. I've always wondered how it held up. I think it even had nudity in it. I have played and enjoyed the Indiana Jones games, Full Throttle, Runaway and other adventure games since then. So I might now find it fun. Then again maybe it's just too old.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 23, 2010, 12:36:38 AM

that said, i really enjoyed it at the time because it was something so fresh and daring compared to pretty much anything else on the market.  i think it would be hard to go back and play it again though...

that's what I'm finding.  kinda sad.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:19:19 AM »

Oh wow. I remember this one. I still have the original boxed version on a shelf in the other room. 7 CDs!

My memories:
1. The chick was really hot, and wore a flattering shirt/sweater.
2. I never finished the game.
3. I liked the setup for the story, but I just suck at adventure games. Which doesn't keep me from buying every interesting-looking one that comes along. I probably own around 50 boxed adventure games from over the years, and haven't finished a single one of them.
4. There was a sequel, but I didn't buy it.

Here's an interesting article about what went wrong.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:30:48 AM by Giles Habibula » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 03:26:47 AM »

That article's...interesting.  This bit in particular:

Warning to Game Designers: Yes, many people watch TV and movies with unhappy endings, though that's because it costs them peanuts to see them...! Would they pay $40 to see the same unhappy ending? NO! It's that simple.
Rule #1 for $40+ games: Happy endings. Period.

Huh?

As for the game itself, yeah, the first half is massively slow.  It's not a game that's aged terribly well.  I think at this point, it's notable because of its place in history as one of the defining moments of the whole FMV adventure craze, but I don't think it was ever a truly great or even very good game.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:56 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 23, 2010, 01:38:56 AM

I didn't try it when it came out. i was not an adventure gamer back then. I've always wondered how it held up. I think it even had nudity in it.

as far as i can remember, there wasn't any nudity in the game, although there were plenty of graphic scenes.  most of what drew attention was the extremely graphic and bloody violence in several major scenes, but there were also a couple of non-explicit sex scenes.  these brief segments barely showed any skin (definitely nothing that qualifies as nudity), but one was pretty controversial because it was essentially a rape scene involving the main character.  i never played Phantasmagoria 2, but i think it may have actually contained some brief nudity...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:51:17 AM »

I was in my early teens when I was "experiencing" this game. I remember a sex scene and a psycho guy, and it as incredibly creepy. I loved every minute of it.

I saved up and (not to mention walked nearly 2 hours to GameStop) bought Phantasmagoria 2 specifically for the sex scene and wasn't disappointed. Man, I miss when I was so easily enamored.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:54:54 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »

And by the way, it's awesome that a thread about this game was made.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 23, 2010, 06:53:54 AM

And by the way, it's awesome that a thread about this game was made.

I was probably just out of college when this came out and I thought it was going to be so cool, but ended up being fairly disappointed by it.  I didn't buy the sequel.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »

There was an easter egg that they couldn't fit on the discs (Yes they ran out of space on all seven) where Adriane was supposed to jump up and shimmy along some pipes. Instead you could try to jump the gap, it then cut to a green screen with her on a mat and the director asking what she thought she was doing and her saying something like I thought I could make it. I could swear it used to be downloadable from this website http://anthonylarme.tripod.com/phantas/phantas.html but I just couldn't find it. Tried doing a search and coming up empty as well.

Would recommend Black Dahlia for a better FMV thriller/horror game or Amber for a more Myst type experience.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

I still have the discs for Phantasmagoria, as well as the discs for The 7th Guest.  I finished the latter, but never the former.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »

The only reason I remember this game is that for YEARS afterward a buddy of mine and I used a phrase from the game. There was one line where the woman says, "What the........hell?"

The way she said it, and the awkward pause in the middle of the phrase, made it an instant classic that was used in any situation where we didn't know WTF was going on.

In fact, it ended up replacing our previous favorite game phrase from King's Quest V: "Dyyyyying for a drink Graham?"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »

Barney's movie had heart, but Phantasmagoria had a trowel in the mouth.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 03:34:52 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 23, 2010, 03:26:47 AM

That article's...interesting.  This bit in particular:

Warning to Game Designers: Yes, many people watch TV and movies with unhappy endings, though that's because it costs them peanuts to see them...! Would they pay $40 to see the same unhappy ending? NO! It's that simple.
Rule #1 for $40+ games: Happy endings. Period.

Huh?
Yeah that came off really strange to me as well.
And he keeps going on about $40 games, when I could swear I paid $69.99 for Phantasmagoria (and a lot of other PC games from back then).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: